Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

Our Sponsors

I've been using my 3 wood a lot more recently.  I have been hitting it farther than my driver and it is a lot more accurate than my driver. 

• Like 1

Driver: Nike Vapor Speed 10.5* 

3 wood: Nike Vapor Speed

2H: Nike Vapor Speed

Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4i-SW

Putter: Nike Method Core

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a huge Mizuno irons fan. I am not a 3 Wood fan. I recently bought an ST190G driver and loved it so much, I got a ST190 TS 3 Wood and gamed it this weekend. I loved this so much I just placed my o

Ditto. Lately I've been using my 3W exclusively off the tee as my driver and I got into a fight and I haven't made it to the range yet to knock some sense into it.

... I had a land line phone in the kitchen that was on a long cord for my youth and most of my adult life. Fast forward thru a few different technologies in phones and now I have this iPhone that is a

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Just saying if you need a 3 - wood that is actually fun to hit and easy to get off the ground, you might want to take a look at the MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood!  I've never been a fairway wood fan however after hitting a friend of mine's on the range, I was drooling like a coon pup on his first treeing.  I had to have one and after gaming it for several weeks, it has earned a solid spot in my bag.  Seriously good fairway wood and it makes my highly recommend list.  Oh and it's 15 degrees and still easy to elevate.....  Just saying 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Just saying if you need a 3 - wood that is actually fun to hit and easy to get off the ground, you might want to take a look at the MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood!  I've never been a fairway wood fan however after hitting a friend of mine's on the range, I was drooling like a coon pup on his first treeing.  I had to have one and after gaming it for several weeks, it has earned a solid spot in my bag.  Seriously good fairway wood and it makes my highly recommend list.  Oh and it's 15 degrees and still easy to elevate.....  Just saying 

Thanks for the heads up - I'm on a quest to find a usable 14th club - I gain nothing over 5 wood by putting my current 3 wood in the bag - hit them both the same distance and given that I carry the 5 wood much farther and launch it higher the 5 wood is a better choice.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks for the heads up - I'm on a quest to find a usable 14th club - I gain nothing over 5 wood by putting my current 3 wood in the bag - hit them both the same distance and given that I carry the 5 wood much farther and launch it higher the 5 wood is a better choice.  

The Maverik is definitely a sweet 3- wood.  It does have a large footprint however imo the way they designed it makes it comforting both on and off the tee.  The weight is centered low and back thus elevating it is much easier than any previous 3- wood I have tried. It's a no brainer for my game. 

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I thought I had my M6 3w and my ST190 5w. I hit my “5w” on 7 off the tee and got a fortunate bounce and stayed in the fairway. On 8 I hit it and was 18” from running out of the fairway and Into the creek that crosses it. On the par 5 11th I hit it off the deck and once again was surprised at how low it was and how far it went. On 12 I took it out of the bag and noticed it was my ST190TS set to 14° not the the 18° 5 wood with the shorter shaft. No wonder it was lower and longer.

So last week I played 2 3woods.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Haha 1

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

After testing the Ben Hogan GS53 3W it has a permanent place in my bag. I use it to tee off on short par 4's with hazards I know I can't carry and I am still working on using it off the deck to try and get to short par 5's in 2 but it is a club I use for sure.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max D 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 70g 6.0 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1