Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OCD, Me & my Fairway Woods

PING Apologist #9

No sooner than I stated that I love my fairway woods (and I do), I go out and find a heck of a deal on a new 5w and immediately snap it up off of the "bay". Yes I couldn't help myself, but I had some "reasoning" behind doing so, and will 100% use this same "logic" to upgrade to a shiny new 3w too soon enough.

First price. Brand new, a G400 SFT wood off the rack is running anywhere from a $270 retail price point to a sale price of $199. The one I snipped (brand new in plastic) was $130 with free ship & no sales tax! No brainer especially considering I can probably resell my G for around $100 or so with the stock shaft taken off of the new club.

Second, well...IT"S NEW! But the bonus benefit is that they will have the same counter weight as the set I got for my driver, so I can do some fine tuning with the same style of weights I already own.

This is where the real onset of OCD will come into play...

My Aldila Tour Blue shaft, which I use on both of my woods are both, well...blue...which matches beautifully with the G club head coloring ques, but does not match up with the copper ques of the G400..! Sick right? This will bother me, a lot. Already have I found myself feverishly searching for new shafts with similar characteristics as the Blues, but matching colors for the 400's...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Aldila Xtorsion Copper

That sort of thing drives me crazy too. I put yellow grips on all of my irons because they are yellow dot, and the Steelfiber shafts have yellow accents. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Just now, GB13 said:

Aldila Xtorsion Copper

NAILED IT!!!🤩 I love that shaft in my driver!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

No sooner than I stated that I love my fairway woods (and I do), I go out and find a heck of a deal on a new 5w and immediately snap it up off of the "bay". Yes I couldn't help myself, but I had some "reasoning" behind doing so, and will 100% use this same "logic" to upgrade to a shiny new 3w too soon enough.
First price. Brand new, a G400 SFT wood off the rack is running anywhere from a $270 retail price point to a sale price of $199. The one I snipped (brand new in plastic) was $130 with free ship & no sales tax! No brainer especially considering I can probably resell my G for around $100 or so with the stock shaft taken off of the new club.
Second, well...IT"S NEW! But the bonus benefit is that they will have the same counter weight as the set I got for my driver, so I can do some fine tuning with the same style of weights I already own.
This is where the real onset of OCD will come into play...
My Aldila Tour Blue shaft, which I use on both of my woods are both, well...blue...which matches beautifully with the G club head coloring ques, but does not match up with the copper ques of the G400..! Sick right? This will bother me, a lot. Already have I found myself feverishly searching for new shafts with similar characteristics as the Blues, but matching colors for the 400's...

Words to the wise..... there are a lot of fakes out there and many of them can be found on EBay. A deal that sounds to good to be true often is...... not saying you got a fake just saying be weary.

See pic

IMG_1730.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

Words to the wise..... there are a lot of fakes out there and many of them can be found on EBay. A deal that sounds to good to be true often is...... not saying you got a fake just saying be weary.

See pic

IMG_1730.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Roger that Top. That's always in play for sure especially with grips I've found out

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Soooo, the first "long box on the porch" showed up today containing my brand new, unused G400 5w! I got it from a private seller who had is as an auction-item and I snipped it at the last minute for a steal (yes, I'm "that" guy). Anyhow, immediately screwed off the stock R-Flex shaft and put back in the Aldila Tour Blue and you know what..? Not half bad to be honest! I will definitely use it as-is and the added "benefit" of this color combo is that blue and orange (orange being the copper highlights of the G400 stuff...) mix nicely and remind me of my beloved BSU Broncos..! Win!

I still am contemplating a more "orange" colored shaft, but damn! This Aldila was just an awesome find and it performed well with the "old" head. Expecting the same on this baby.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Geared up and hit 18 yesterday at my "home" track since the weather was nice enough in the high 40's. No warm up at all and got on right away with a couple of other fellas. Hole # 3 there has a water hazard within driver range so I always play it safe with a 5w so I grabbed the new G400 and bombed one straight down the middle to about 25-yds short of the hazard and around 130 away from the hole. This combo for me really works great so no new shaft is warranted at all-despite the damn colors! Trusty 3w was on all day as well and driver was...meh... Perhaps there will be an Aldila Tour Blue in its future...

EDIT: Yup there is! Found one with the right adapter & grip on it for $60 off the "bay" from a private seller.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

EDIT: Yup there is! Found one with the right adapter & grip on it for $60 off the "bay" from a private seller.

Sounds like me. Had no intention of changing anything but irons this winter. eBay sends me a 15 percent off coupon around Christmas, snap up C300s for an absolute steal.

A day later I'm browsing and see Dallas Golf has Cobra F6 drivers and fairways, new in plastic with headcover and wrench for bargains. They reviewed well on MGS. Snapped those up, too.

Was looking at a Swing Caddie for my range time. Was waiting until February or March (or even later). Happened to be browsing Amazon when it was the lightning deal at $199.99. On my doorstep two days later...

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

3 minutes ago, edingc said:

Sounds like me. Had no intention of changing anything but irons this winter. eBay sends me a 15 percent off coupon around Christmas, snap up C300s for an absolute steal.

A day later I'm browsing and see Dallas Golf has Cobra F6 drivers and fairways, new in plastic with headcover and wrench for bargains. They reviewed well on MGS. Snapped those up, too.

Was looking at a Swing Caddie for my range time. Was waiting until February or March (or even later). Happened to be browsing Amazon when it was the lightning deal at $199.99. On my doorstep two days later...

Good stuff Bud! hate paying retail (& tax). If you know what you need, e-shopping is the way to go for sure!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Archived