Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

P790 / i500 replacement cycle

devsters

Hi all, I just tried out a few different iron models and really liked the TM P790's as well as the Ping i500's.  I'm generally ready to pull the trigger, but after some research, saw that the p790's were introduced in Jul/Aug 2017 and the i500's same timing last year.  Would I be well-advised to wait until later summer to see if something else comes out?  Last thing I want is to buy something and then a clear upgrade comes out on the market.  Especially in the case of the p790's we are coming up on their 2-year anniversary.  Just curious if anyone has info on new release cycles.  Thanks!

While I haven’t hit them YET, you should take a look at the @golfsub70 golf 699 irons. They look absolutely amazing.

As far as the p790’s and the i500’s go, I can’t offer any insight to whether there is a new offering coming.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

You could wait and see what comes out but if your going to be getting fitted irons then waiting on the what if might not really be worth it. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 3 weeks later...
You could wait and see what comes out but if your going to be getting fitted irons then waiting on the what if might not really be worth it. 

Agreed.

Those are both great options. I found a bit more shapability with the TM - and I'm a Ping enthusiast. Both shot of the club face and had hugely high ball flights.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

Ping has a two year cycle do i500 have another year plus. I was told last year Tam was planning for a two year cycle on the 790s so there’s a chance something comes this year. Will be curious to see what they do after coming out with the 760s 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Do not invest in the i500 irons. I purchased a set (5-UW) last August.. with an average amount of play and an 85 mph 7 iron swing speed the faces are failing on all my clubs. It’s almost as if the weld line where the forged face is inserted is cracking. I sent my clubs into ping and I will be selecting a new model of iron. So far ping hasn’t been helpful citing it as a possible ( cosmetic issue). Updates to follow and I have pictures if anyone is interested. 

15 minutes ago, Ksarrazin said:

Do not invest in the i500 irons. I purchased a set (5-UW) last August.. with an average amount of play and an 85 mph 7 iron swing speed the faces are failing on all my clubs. It’s almost as if the weld line where the forged face is inserted is cracking. I sent my clubs into ping and I will be selecting a new model of iron. So far ping hasn’t been helpful citing it as a possible ( cosmetic issue). Updates to follow and I have pictures if anyone is interested. 

Other than this I have not seen anyone else with the i500. I don’t recall any of the testers on here experiencing this issue. Unless it’s a wide spread issue advising someone to avoid a product based on a singular instance of an issue imo is an ill advised recommendation.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Other than this I have not seen anyone else with the i500. I don’t recall any of the testers on here experiencing this issue. Unless it’s a wide spread issue advising someone to avoid a product based on a singular instance of an issue imo is an ill advised recommendation.

Unless I'm mistaken, I do think @GolfSpy STUDque had a similar issue. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Indeed. Same cracking same location. I dealt with the regular channels, not a special rep, and received great customer service. I opted to go with another set of the i500s but may choose a different model next time if they crack again. Cracking issues aside, these are still a great set of irons for my game 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I wouldn't worry about something new coming out or you'll never get anything. That's the nature of the golf industry, constantly something new even if it's not an improvement. That being said, I play the P790's and to be honest I have a hard time believing they are going to out do them by leaps and bounds. There's a reason they (P790's) are still $800 used on the Bay.