Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Dave's Take: Xikar's Tactical Triple-Jet Torch

• SPY VIP

Dave's Take: Xikar's Tactical Triple-Jet Torch

Xikar Tactical Triple - 1.jpg

https://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/tactical-triple/

The streamlined appearance of the High Performance Triple Jet Flame Lighter (Tactical Triple) is engineered for performance and precision. Easily inspect remaining butane levels in your tank through the oversized double EZ-View™ red fuel windows and fine-tune your desired flame height with a quick turn of the oversized adjustment wheel, centrally located at the base of the lighter.

Earlier this week, I shared with you my thoughts on the Xikar VX2 V-Cut cutter. Having had a stick or two since then, I am becoming more and more convinced that v-cutting is going to be my go to when it comes to cap clipping. Pleasant draws for days with the V. Cutting the cigar is only one part of the cigar smoking process though, as one typically needs to light the stick as well.

Today, I am going to share with you Xikar’s new torch, the Tactical Triple-Jet Flame Lighter, providing you with my impressions of the lighter, running it through my 10-Click Challenge™, and ultimately determining if it will replace my current torch, the much adored Xikar Turrim Single.

Xikar Tactical Triple - 8.jpg

Features

• Durable and ergonomic metal body
  • Oversized fuel adjustment wheel
  • Ergonomic pull-down ignition
  • Manual flip-top lid
  • Angled triple jet flames
  • Low-profile/removable pocket clip
  • EZ-View™ Red Fuel Level Window
  • Four available finishes
  • MSRP: $99.99

Ergonomics and Functionality

Xikar Tactical Triple - 9.jpg

As soon as I saw the tactical name, I assumed that the torch would feature military-like aesthetics. While I can see this torch fitting into an overall military motif, it doesn’t scream militaria, making it approachable for those not looking for that style.

I think that I would describe the overall look and feel of the Tactical Triple as tool-like. This lighter has the looks that would allow it to sit on a table next to a leather recliner and a glass of cognac, but it is much better suited for trips into the field. The field could be a hunting or fishing expedition, or better yet, a 6500 yard walk across freshly mowed grass.

Xikar Tactical Triple - 2.jpg

The overall texture of the Tactical Triple is just rough enough to promote a solid grip, but not so abrasive that it feels uncomfortable. The shape of the torch allows it to sit comfortably in your hand, with the flip-top lid, and the ignition button being thumb available. Since I never wear anything clipped to my belt, I usually remove such clips from items, but the clip on the Tactical Triple clip is very low profile, and doesn’t impair the hand feel. It also does clip nicely to a belt, or to the various clipable spots on the golf bag or push cart.If you really don't like the clip, just a couple of screws and it's removed.

Xikar Tactical Triple - 5.jpg

Xikar pays attention to the ergonomics of their products. If you look at the edge of the flip top lid, you’ll see a little ridge. That ridge gives you just a little more traction when you flip up the top, your finger likely slipping more should that ridge have been absent. It’s a small design element, but it shows the thought and thoroughness that Xikar puts into their products.

Xikar Tactical Triple - 4.jpgXikar Tactical Triple - 3.jpg

Like with the Turrim Single, the flame adjustment knob is large, and easy to adjust. You can definitely adjust flame height while the lighter is going. The large EZ-View™ butane window lets you know exactly when the lighter needs to be filled, removing the possibility of taking an empty lighter to the course. Assuming, of course, that you remember to check...

Dave's 10 Click Challenge

Xikar Tactical Triple - 10.jpg

My measurable metric for lighter performance is Dave's Ten Click Challenge. I fill the lighter, give it a few ignitions to make sure the butane is in the system, and see how many ignitions occur with ten consecutive lighting attempts. A reliable torch should give you fire, not clicks.

The Xikar Tactical Triple scored 10/10. It actually did this on three separate occasions, with one time going for 25 straight ignitions before I got bored and stopped. The Tactical Triple brings the heat!

Golfability

Xikar Tactical Triple - 2 (1).jpg

How well suited for golf is the Xikar Tactical Triple? I would say that it is ideally suited for the golf course. 

It’s not a small lighter, but it is compact. It will easily fit into a golf bag pocket, or into your travel humidor if not displaced by long cigars. It’s not as travel humidor perfect as the cigar-shaped Turrim Single, but it fits in the 5-Cigar case all the same.

The things that I look for in a course torch are the ability to either not get too hot, or to cool down quickly (ideally both). With the three flame jets, the lighter definitely will throw fire at your cigar, but it still stays cool. The flip up lid never really heated up during cigar lighting, and it covers the hottest part of the torch when closed. I had no problem or concern with dropping the lighter into my pocket, or bag right after use.

It is also worth mentioning that this torch does very well in the wind. The lid provides a nice little windbreak when open, and those three jets provide enough fuel to fight all but the strongest of gales. This was unfortunately not always true for the Turrim Single, where windy rounds would require awkward wind-evading crouching, and lots of relighting clicks. The Tactical Triple brings you fire in the field like a champ.

Overall: I’ve Made a Tactical Decision

Xikar Tactical Triple - 1 (1).jpg

The Tactical Triple-Jet Flame Lighteris now my gamerlighter. It’s in the golf bag, on the patio at parties, and it’s the one I seek out when I need to light anything on fire. I feel a little disloyal replacing the Turrim Single, but the Tactical Triple is just a better performer. None of us are going to bag a driver that’s twenty yards shorter just so it doesn’t feel bad when it’s left at home in the garage. Sorry Turrim Single. You are a great torch, but the Tactical Triple has got your number.

You’ll save a penny from your Benjamin when you purchase the Tactical Triple, but you really will be getting what you pay for. This thing is a high-quality torch. Plus, with Xikar’s lifetime warranty, you’ll not need to buy another lighter perhaps ever. Assuming you didn’t do something awful to the torch, and even then, I’d contact Xikar. They support their stuff.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more cigar stuff, including what may be the most wind-proof lighter that I have ever tested.

Xikar Tactical Triple - 6.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Nice Review.....

My all time triple jet lighter is still the Trifecta when it was first released.  That thing had a HUGE tank

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Damn! I came here expecting a review of a light torch brighter than a Lighthouse- I do love a good torch (for seeing) 😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 4/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Damn! I came here expecting a review of a light torch brighter than a Lighthouse- I do love a good torch (for seeing) 😉

Unfortunately this is one of those "our English is different than your English" situations. Here in the U.S. where we speak the bastardized version of English, a torch is something good for lighting things on fire in dramatic fashion.. which we LOVE to do here. Can be both a verb and a noun. I.e. I "torched" my hand while squirting lighter fluid on the fire last night.. Or.. hand me that torch to light these dangerous explosives.    

What you're thinking of.. we.. and I believe only we.. call a flashlight. 😜

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 4/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, azstu324 said:

Unfortunately this is one of those "our English is different than your English" situations. Here in the U.S. where we speak the bastardized version of English, a torch is something good for lighting things on fire in dramatic fashion.. which we LOVE to do here. Can be both a verb and a noun. I.e. I "torched" my hand while squirting lighter fluid on the fire last night.. Or.. hand me that torch to light these dangerous explosives.    

What you're thinking of.. we.. and I believe only we.. call a flashlight. 😜

ROTFLMAO!  If you think you folks in Arizona bastardize the English language you ought to come down South with me.

Torch can mean many things here-- ie: You hit a real good drive " Man you torched that" In the food world ( always my favorite subject) One makes some really hot spicy BB or Chicken." Oh heck you really threw the torch to that" Or if you burned it--- You torched the crap out of that". Also in racing circles if you like blew an engine " Oh well he torched the motor" .

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Informative post!

Thanks!

Wilson D7 Irons with KBS Tour 80 Reg Flex Shafts

PING G410 Plus with ALTA CB Red 55g SR Flex Shaft

Callaway Super hybrid factory shaft with R flex

Taylormade Rocketballz 5 metal with factory Graphite Shaft reg flex

Ping Eye 2 Becu Sand & Lob wedges

Scotty Cameron Futura X7

Wilson Staff DUO