Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

Mike Adams... His approach is interesting, I tried to figure out all of my rotation patterns, arm fold patterns, side-on grip, etc. etc... Some of the testing for left leg/right leg/central pivot was difficult and I didn't notice much difference. Most of my setup aligns with 1 of his 3 types... But some aspects could be in 2 types..

I found a 20 slide Powerpoint online with basic guidelines for all of these aspects that he assesses based on your body and movement patterns that I use for a self-assessment. I don't think picking one aspect like grip would work without some of the other matchups. My takeaway from his material is you want a certain address position, grip, side tilt, and multiple other factors all based on your swing/body type and there are 3 main types. 

I think you'd have to cough up the $300 for an hourly lesson with him or one of his disciples to get the full proper assessment. He seems like a system or (3) swing model guy, that isn't the best type of instruction to dabble in... 

20 hours ago, dlow206 said:

So I came across an article from Mike Adams about grip, specifically about the right hand. Here is an excerpt:

Try a simple test. Hold a club in just your right hand, first with an extremely strong grip (where your hand is under the bottom of the handle). Make some half speed swings and notice if the face rapidly closes, stays square or tends to stay open. Do the same exercise with a neutral grip (on the side of the handle) and a weak one (with the hand more on top). The grip that produces the most square, natural-feeling release is going to be the best one for you.

"Once you've found the right one, use that as your right hand grip," says Adams. "It dictates the direction of the hinge. It will dictate what your right elbow does, and what your path does. You don't have to think about it. Each of us has a pattern that fits us best."

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

10 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Mike Adams... His approach is interesting, I tried to figure out all of my rotation patterns, arm fold patterns, side-on grip, etc. etc... Some of the testing for left leg/right leg/central pivot was difficult and I didn't notice much difference. Most of my setup aligns with 1 of his 3 types... But some aspects could be in 2 types..

I found a 20 slide Powerpoint online with basic guidelines for all of these aspects that he assesses based on your body and movement patterns that I use for a self-assessment. I don't think picking one aspect like grip would work without some of the other matchups. My takeaway from his material is you want a certain address position, grip, side tilt, and multiple other factors all based on your swing/body type and there are 3 main types. 

I think you'd have to cough up the $300 for an hourly lesson with him or one of his disciples to get the full proper assessment. He seems like a system or (3) swing model guy, that isn't the best type of instruction to dabble in... 

I'm not really trying to implement the Mike Adams system, it was just the one aspect about the grip that made me discover my right hand started to get too weak (more weak than my instructor asked me to make it).

I have generally bad perception/awareness of things like looking down at my own grip and interpreting it compared to where it is supposed to be. Like in the picture a few posts above, when I look down on at my hands from my own perspective, my eyes perceive that my right hand V is pointed way to the right, but in an actual face on picture, its actually not.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

My coach had me implement some of Mike Adams biomechanic things and I am hitting the ball better. We did some measurements and determined grip, posting,
Stance width, and swing plane.

It is like anything else if you are doing things that contradict each other you will have problems in the golf swing.

My coach isn’t charging $300 an hour and I know the PowerPoint that you are referring to and there really isn’t a defined model. You simply swing based on how your body moves. If you think about it, it really isn’t any different than any other coach teaches.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My coach had me implement some of Mike Adams biomechanic things and I am hitting the ball better. We did some measurements and determined grip, posting,
Stance width, and swing plane.

It is like anything else if you are doing things that contradict each other you will have problems in the golf swing.

My coach isn’t charging $300 an hour and I know the PowerPoint that you are referring to and there really isn’t a defined model. You simply swing based on how your body moves. If you think about it, it really isn’t any different than any other coach teaches.

Sounds like the pro I saw that recommended I widen my stance to let my lower body catch up. Has worked out for me and shows we are all different. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

Sounds like the pro I saw that recommended I widen my stance to let my lower body catch up. Has worked out for me and shows we are all different. 

The method to determine stance width is interesting. Couple of ways to do it that I have seen. Mike has one method on a recent Instagram post. The method my coach used involved jumping.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Was working on some stuff my instructor has me working on. Lining up a bit closed to target and trying to get more of an inside path. This was also intended to be a parallel to parallel swing, but backswing ended up looking like a pretty good full backswing. Path is starting to get better.

Updated 4/27/2021

One thing my instructor talked to me about was overexaggerating movements/drills, and that i overexaggerate too much. Did it the other day with closing my stance too much and his feedback was that it should be more subtle. 

Here is a swing today, trying not to overdo the closed stance, just closed a small amount.

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

One thing my instructor talked to me about was overexaggerating movements/drills, and that i overexaggerate too much. Did it the other day with closing my stance too much and his feedback was that it should be more subtle. 

Here is a swing today, trying not to overdo the closed stance, just closed a small amount.

What part of your body do you consider slightly closed in this setup? Also closed in relation to what?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What part of your body do you consider slightly closed in this setup? Also closed in relation to what?

Feet are a bit closed and shoulders just a tad closed. Using the alignment stick by my feet as a reference.

Updated 4/27/2021

10 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Feet are a bit closed and shoulders just a tad closed. Using the alignment stick by my feet as a reference.

I figured it was the alignment stick but based on what I saw in the video I wanted to make sure. Here’s a capture at address and while we can’t see the left side you look square to the alignment stick. 

If you were slightly closed we would be able to see some part of your left leg, left arm and chest.

0DB32CAA-2B57-4CCA-BEB6-972B931566BB.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Agreed. Not very closed at all. 

That takeaway is so inside that your hips stall really early. Your hip turn is pretty good, but once they run out of room your arms continue to go for way too many frames. You could shorten the backswing, but I bet the arms lifting, crossing the line a little bit is probably a good timing move to keep your from coming way OTT. I think you would see more gains with some minor work on the takeaway. Definitely an improvement in the last 2 videos. I'd think you could break 80 with that swing with a good short game and proper course management. 

• Like 3

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

46 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Agreed. Not very closed at all. 

That takeaway is so inside that your hips stall really early. Your hip turn is pretty good, but once they run out of room your arms continue to go for way too many frames. You could shorten the backswing, but I bet the arms lifting, crossing the line a little bit is probably a good timing move to keep your from coming way OTT. I think you would see more gains with some minor work on the takeaway. Definitely an improvement in the last 2 videos. I'd think you could break 80 with that swing with a good short game and proper course management. 

Thanks, I definitely struggle with the inside takeaway, something im working on, but continue to have trouble with

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, I definitely struggle with the inside takeaway, something im working on, but continue to have trouble with

I know you're not one to shy away from spending some cash on golf but I still feel bad about recommending a golf gadget, but a Planemate is great for this, specifically Day 1 relative to the takeaway.  Watch this video and they prescribe some checkpoints for the takeaway that might be helpful, even if you don't want to purchase the training aid...

PlaneMate - Tour Striker

• Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Just now, Getoffmylawn said:

I know you're not one to shy away from spending some cash on golf but I still feel bad about recommending a golf gadget, but a Planemate is great for this, specifically Day 1 relative to the takeaway.  Watch this video and they prescribe some checkpoints for the takeaway that might be helpful, even if you don't want to purchase the training aid...

PlaneMate - Tour Striker

Don't worry, i already own one LOL. i have already sold one and then repurchased another one. its currently sitting in the garage.

• Haha 2

Updated 4/27/2021

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

PlaneMate - Tour Striker

Can confirm, the planemate has helped my game a ton. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

@dlow206 I also recommend not looking at the club when you take it back (unless you were instructed to). You then turn your head around to find the ball and could be messing with your technique at the top. 

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

@dlow206 I also recommend not looking at the club when you take it back (unless you were instructed to). You then turn your head around to find the ball and could be messing with your technique at the top. 

Yep, bad habit that happens more when i am consciously thinking about trying to make a certain swing.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

Following the club or anything other than the ball during the golf swing is of course not a good idea.  Be careful about consciously restricting head movement though...it's okay and even good to allow your head to turn (turn, not sway).  Watch DJ swing, or even Nicklaus who often turned his head to start the swing.  Allows for a greater overall turn of the body and a wider backswing.

• Like 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver