Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Miura Fitting - Code Name: Operation Rising Sun

• SPY VIP

Next week I'm going to hop the Amtrak into Manhattan for a Miura fitting at the New York Golf Center. Miura has hooked us up with Josh Chervokas at the NYGC's custom shop. He's one of the top Miura fitters on the East Coast, and is a guy who knows the ins and outs of the Miura lineup as well as anyone.

In addition to this being my first time through a comprehensive iron fitting with Miura, I'm also going to take the opportunity to get a sense of the Miura brand through the eyes of a fitter and club builder.

I think between Tim's trip to Titleist, Dave's trip to Callaway, and Matt's fittings at Wilson and Club Champion we've covered most of the bases with respect to the fitting process itself. That said, we're opening up this virtual floor to you. If you have any Miura-centric (or other fitting questions) you'd like me to direct to either Josh or the team at Miura, whether it's product lines, manufacturing techniques, philosophy, or anything else you've ever wondered about, please send those questions my way.

While you're thinking about questions, let's have your guesses about what will end up in my bag. It's very possible that the CB-501s with soft-stepped KBS Tour shafts will prove to be my perfect Miura fit, but perhaps it will be something entirely different.

Let's have your best guess, shafts and heads.

About me (to help with the guessing)

• I'm about a 16 handicap, but my swing isn't my problem...I'm just a head case.
  • My driver swing speed is between 105 and 110
  • Before the CB-501/KBS Combo I had a high, often ballooning ball flight, now it's much better.
  • I have a relatively quick take away, and a very quick (quicker than I'd like) transition
  • I'm not a fan of most GI irons, and have absolutely no fear of blades

For those unfamiliar with the current product line, here are the contenders.

(Passing Point) PP -9003 The friendliest (most forgiving) club in the current Miura lineup.

There is a passing point...when you pass from acquaintance to friend, from novice to serious student -- from casual golfer to committed competitor.

shop_pp-9003.jpg

CB-501 Cavity Back and What's in the bag today.

"When the CB-501 was in development, our goal was to combine the best features from our favorite Miura irons, both past and present. Mr. Miura was striving for the ideal ball flight; enough offset to promote playability, the perfect head size, and a sole grind that would accommodate a broad range of players."

shop_cb-501.jpg

Tournament Blade Quiet muscle

“When I designed the Tournament Blade, my chief goal was to make the lofts, lies and offsets absolutely consistent,” Mr. Miura says. “The hosel is a little longer, for stability, and it is true that that feature moves the sweet spot very slightly toward the heel. But while some may be afraid that this club is hard to hit, it is more a matter of forming an alliance with the club. Those who learn to use the Tournament Blade will find it very rewarding.”

shop_blade2007.jpg

Small (Baby) Blade "My Best Performing Iron"

"I'm always looking for new ways to help the recreational player hit the ball more easily," Mr. Miura says. "With this design, you really just have to put your swing on it" -- and here he smiles -- "In a way, we've done the thinking for you, so you can just play and enjoy."

2009limited-blade_top1.jpg

When we're all done, I'll of course be comparing new and old on our simulators as well as reporting the "on the course" results.

4-PW, what's your best guess?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I am very jealous, but I can't wait to learn some more inside information about Miura and their fitting process. Would you ask them if they are considering making any additional left handed clubs in the future?

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

• SPY VIP

I am very jealous, but I can't wait to learn some more inside information about Miura and their fitting process. Would you ask them if they are considering making any additional left handed clubs in the future?

Not too long ago I did an interview with Miura President Adam Barr. One of the things I asked about was the availability of clubs for left-handed golfers. Here is what he had to say on the matter:

"I feel your pain on this. As with virtually every other golf club company in the world, this is a matter of demand. The sheer number of left-handed golfers doesn't always justify the expense involved in providing more LH options. However, we never forget about them. Stay tuned for possible expansions in this area…but I don't cant say anything more specific than that right now. No point in getting people excited if I can't deliver what they want when they want it.

That said, our LH Blades have met with enthusiatic reviews from those who play from the other side."

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I'm guessing Passing Points with KBS C-Tapers in S flex, hardstepped once.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sounds like it is going to be a great time!

I have seen LH black wedges but they appear to be special order or Asia specific and if I am indeed correct, why?

The reason why I ask is I just ordered a set of the Miura LH CB (5-PW) with C-Taper shafts and I could not get the black wedges.

Also, I see the answer to my question has already been posted but possibly more news might be available concerning this. I bought the three wedges available to go with the 5-PW, are the same wedge lofts available for RH going to be available in the near future for us LH?

• SPY VIP

As a teaser of what the final product could look like, here's a sample of some of Josh's work with Miura irons (taken from the Miura Golf Facebook page). While the brand is obviously know for its tradition, Josh isn't afraid to put a modern spin or apply some serious pimp style to the clubs he builds.

262465_10150248971243999_174039178998_7626482_3776309_n.jpg

About three years ago, I had the opportunity to hit the Miura blades at the PGA Golf Show in Orlando....Wow was I impressed....and they have to be the most beautiful set of irons that I have ever seen (been hanging around golf courses since I was 8....I am 60 now).

Can't wait to read about your adventure.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

About three years ago, I had the opportunity to hit the Miura blades at the PGA Golf Show in Orlando....Wow was I impressed....and they have to be the most beautiful set of irons that I have ever seen (been hanging around golf courses since I was 8....I am 60 now).

Can't wait to read about your adventure.

The blades (and even baby blades) are an interesting option. The Miura philosophy is very similar to that of SCOR Golf's Terry Kohler; basically anybody can hit a blade, and ultimately it will make you a better player. While I can't yet say from experience that it's absolutely true, it's an idea that intrigues me (especially since I love the look of a blade). I don't necessarily buy into all this forgiveness thing. I think apart from shots hit high on the face (where I think GI clubs do make a difference where distance is concerned), everything else is probably damn close to equal. I also hook substantially more often than I slice, so apart from an occasional run in with the sh$%ks, offset actually hurts me.

I think there's an intimidation factor with blades, but once you realize you absolutely can hit them, you may never go back (at least in the short irons). Point is, when I meet with Josh, every option in the Miura lineup will be on the table.

• SPY VIP

And now there's a Special Edition of the Tournament Blade in black.

blackblade_top.jpg

WOW, I'd like to take that Train ride. I mean the regional rail is only about 50 seconds from my door. Maybe they can have another Spy named Tim try out the blades.... LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 3 weeks later...

I still think the blades they built for the 2 year old were the most awesome ive ever seen. I'd love a set of the baby blades but I don't practice enough to be able to play them.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

I still think the blades they built for the 2 year old were the most awesome ive ever seen. I'd love a set of the baby blades but I don't practice enough to be able to play them.

The baby blades (sadly) were the only thing from the current lineup I didn't hit, so at the risk of ruining any surprises, I won't be gaming Babies...yet. I'm waiting to hear back from Josh on some questions I had, but I should be able to pick this back up soon. I will say it was interesting to get a fitter/builder's perspective on the Miura brand.

I now have a line to Mr. Miura , so if anyone has any questions for the man himself, please pass them along.

• SPY VIP

Good stuff...Josh Chervokas, my Miura fitter, is featured in the October edition of Golf Magazine. Incidentally,the guy in the picture looks nothing like the guy I met.

Josh-GM-1111.jpg

• SPY VIP

If possible I'd like to hear the perspective.

Thanks.

That will definitely play a large part in the final article.

Archived