Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Rory McIlroy says that Greens Books should be banned

With a SG putting tank of 68 this year and 112 last year. Rory might want to focus on what can make his game better 

Going back to 2016 he’s been around 100 or worse other than 2019 when he was 24.

I like Rory and putting has always been his weak point. Whatever he’s doing isn’t exactly working 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'll simply say that I think the move away from the books is a good one. I've got no issue with players and caddies taking notes, but being provided with such detailed information by a third-party is akin to using a DMD with slope, wind, and barometric calculations. You're removing a certain amount of skill, experience, and knowledge from the game that could be used to separate the best of the best - this goes for caddies and players. 

As an aside, this take might seem contradictory for me since I don't have a problem with the use of DMD's that provide distance ONLY. Reason being is simple, it is not difficult to pace off the number of yards from a nearby marker and do some simple addition or subtraction. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

With a SG putting tank of 68 this year and 112 last year. Rory might want to focus on what can make his game better 

Going back to 2016 he’s been around 100 or worse other than 2019 when he was 24.

I like Rory and putting has always been his weak point. Whatever he’s doing isn’t exactly working 

I agree.  One could make an assumption that Rory says that green books should be banned because banning them might affect a lot more players than it would him... and he would move up in the SG ranking.  😂

Personally, I like the idea of banning the books.  Part of the game is figuring out how to play the course as you find it.  The green books take away some of that "figuring".  I'm sure that when they were first commercially available, it was an essential item for new players that were playing a course for the first time against players that had their own "books" made over years of play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

I have one for my course and I don't even use it.  I have studied at home and pretty much know all the brakes and contours.

I think using it in the course adds up more time to a sport that's already slow.  Plus, my golf buddies would wrap a 9 iron around my neck😄

I agree, for professionals, it should be banned.  

Driver:  TM SIM2 Max

Woods:  3/5 TM SIM2 Max

Hybrid:  22 PXG

Irons:  5-PW 0311XF PXG

Wedges: 50/54/58 Vokey SM8 Black 

Putter:  Custom SC 009 35/330g

• 5 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, TR1PTIK said:

I'll simply say that I think the move away from the books is a good one. I've got no issue with players and caddies taking notes, but being provided with such detailed information by a third-party is akin to using a DMD with slope, wind, and barometric calculations. You're removing a certain amount of skill, experience, and knowledge from the game that could be used to separate the best of the best - this goes for caddies and players. 

As an aside, this take might seem contradictory for me since I don't have a problem with the use of DMD's that provide distance ONLY. Reason being is simple, it is not difficult to pace off the number of yards from a nearby marker and do some simple addition or subtraction. 

I absolutely agree with you.