Rory McIlroy says that Greens Books should be banned

So, there was a thread about Arm Locking needing to be banned because a Tour player said so...so now here is the next iteration of what needs to be banned in golf.  Rory says that reading books should be eliminated, "it's just taking away a skill that takes time and practice"

Personally I think this is getting a bit ridiculous, I mean what's next?  I'm sure someone will say that we should not be able to put a line on our balls anymore.  What are your thoughts guys? 

• Like 4
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I’m not for banning a whole lot of things, but I do agree with getting rid of the green books. I think this would be the “great separator” of talent on Tour, and I think it was what was intended when golf first started. Reading greens is an art, and for folks like me who don’t do it well visually, AimPoint has been a big help. Yeah, get rid of the books.

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Anyone who is better than me must not be allowed to be better than me because reasons such and such... BRING ON THE RULES CHANGES!!!!!!!

No but seriously though, I am not for banning things generally. Something like armlock would target a small number of players, greens books on the other hand would target all players... Bottom line, I don't care either way lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 Adams Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - Taylormade R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - PING Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - Titleist Tour Soft

5 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Anyone who is better than me must not be allowed to be better than me because reasons such and such... BRING ON THE RULES CHANGES!!!!!!!

No but seriously though, I am not for banning things generally. Something like armlock would target a small number of players, greens books on the other hand would target all players... Bottom line, I don't care either way lol

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the Tour hands those greens books out to all the players as they check-in...whereas I would have to probably have to pay for something like that.  I know Golf Logix has greens books for purchase, and I have a couple of those.  They help out some, but you still have to determine the starting line and speed yourself, which is what confuses me about what McIlroy said about them taking the skill out of the game.  Also, on a side note, the Tour players have caddies to help them read greens, and the Tour also marks the spot for the hole for the following round...so that's usually the first thing the caddie looks for when they walk up to the green, so he can mark it down in his book...then he reads the current putt his player has. 

• Like 2
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/16/pga-tour-green-reading-books-outlaw-next-season/

THEY ARE GONE!

But who cares, there is no statistical evidence that I am aware of that they have helped. Just like anchoring or armlock. 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated, and I think the Ruling Bodies agree, in general, but they couldn't find a way to write that rule without eliminating all course diagrams and yardage books.  So what they did is to limit the scale of any drawings, and the size of the individual pages.  I'm fine with the limitations on size and scale that the Rules now apply.    

And as I clicked to post this, @THEZIPR23 posted the link saying that the Tour will outlaw them next season.  I'll be interested to read any rule that they eventually issue.  To some extent, this Condition of Competition would ban something that is expressly permitted under the Rules of Golf, something the PGA Tour has generally tried to avoid.

Edited by DaveP043
new info posted
  • Like 5

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have read the articles and how the players are paying $170 for them and how Augusta didn’t allow them, etc.  I really think there are some missing details.   My interpretation of this ban is that players will no longer be able to purchase and use commercially made green books that companies like puttview, strakaline, and golflogix make.  Essentially topography maps of the greens that show slopes and slope percentages.   Players and caddies will still have the option to build their own green charts with the information they want. Players were able to and did this at Augusta.  I wish the articles or someone would clarify what is really meant by a green reading book.  

• Like 6

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/16/pga-tour-green-reading-books-outlaw-next-season/

THEY ARE GONE!

But who cares, there is no statistical evidence that I am aware of that they have helped. Just like anchoring or armlock. 

Not quite gone but most likely gone after the next vote

• Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminated, and I think the Ruling Bodies agree, in general, but they couldn't find a way to write that rule without eliminating all course diagrams and yardage books.  So what they did is to limit the scale of any drawings, and the size of the individual pages.  I'm fine with the limitations on size and scale that the Rules now apply.    

And as I clicked to post this, @THEZIPR23 posted the link saying that the Tour will outlaw them next season.  I'll be interested to read any rule that they eventually issue.  To some extent, this Condition of Competition would ban something that is expressly permitted under the Rules of Golf, something the PGA Tour has generally tried to avoid.

I tend to agree that the USGA/RA will struggle with correct wording or enforceability of the rule. My guess is that they will just be banned on the Tour. Will be an interesting test case because the tour doesn't run all the events and like you said have avoided this type of ruling in the past. 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I heard today on Sirius that they are gone.  If it takes another vote it seems they will be because the first vote was overwhelming.  

On the one hand I'm happy as it should speed up play (unless csnoil is correct and they are allowed to make their own) on the other hand I'm wondering how you still allow yardage books while banning green books.  I'm certainly not nor have I have been at a level where a yardage book has helped beyond front/middle/back - I really only need front/middle - middle/back and that's about my shot making ability - actually I'd probably be wisest to take the middle every time and play for it.  

Sirius was funny because they were saying if Bryson is for it, the tour will ban it - no more one length clubs. 🙂

• Like 4

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

23 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I wish the articles or someone would clarify what is really meant by a green reading book.  

I think Interpretation 4.3a/1 gives an idea of the level of detail that is allowed right now.  You can find examples of the Straka and similar books

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

My guess is that they will just be banned on the Tour.

The Tour will have the same problem, how do you eliminate one type of paper mapping without eliminating ALL paper mapping?

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 4

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't see the big deal about green books. Knowing how a green breaks shouldn't have to be some secret that you have to figure out while playing in a tournament.

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

I’m not for banning a whole lot of things, but I do agree with getting rid of the green books. I think this would be the “great separator” of talent on Tour, and I think it was what was intended when golf first started. Reading greens is an art, and for folks like me who don’t do it well visually, AimPoint has been a big help. Yeah, get rid of the books.

+1. I'll be surprised if they ban them, and I noted the link above. I'm for anything that reduces the time players take - some of them are ridiculous on greens.

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think Interpretation 4.3a/1 gives an idea of the level of detail that is allowed right now.  You can find examples of the Straka and similar books

Understand that.   They are generically saying green reading books.   Does that prevent a player and caddie from going to each green and making  their own notes about the green to include slopes.  Or does it mean that I can't buy one of the straka books and use it.   Two different things.   Augusta doesn't allow any companies to map their greens therefore all that exists is books with players notes.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Understand that.   They are generically saying green reading books.   Does that prevent a player and caddie from going to each green and making  their own notes about the green to include slopes.  Or does it mean that I can't buy one of the straka books and use it.   Two different things.   Augusta doesn't allow any companies to map their greens therefore all that exists is books with players notes.  

This is a part of that Interpretation:

Hand drawn or written information about a putting green is only allowed if contained in a book or paper meeting the size limit and written by the player and/or his or her caddie.

So the players are allowed to use their own notes from previous rounds, including practice rounds.  I believe the Straka and other commercial books are done within the size and scale limits allowed under the Rules.

• Like 3

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is a part of that Interpretation:

So the players are allowed to use their own notes from previous rounds, including practice rounds.  I believe the Straka and other commercial books are done within the size and scale limits allowed under the Rules.

Sounds like you are interpreting this as anything currently allowed under that interpretation.   I am not sure that is what they are actually what they are going to do.  Especially after saying there would be no green reading books allowed at augusta.  I am thinking they will say that the book can only contain a scaled outline of the greens shape and everything else must be notes made by player or caddie. 

• Like 2

I don’t see how you legislate this fairly. It will be very interesting to see what finally comes out. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have read the articles and how the players are paying $170 for them and how Augusta didn’t allow them, etc.  I really think there are some missing details.   My interpretation of this ban is that players will no longer be able to purchase and use commercially made green books that companies like puttview, strakaline, and golflogix make.  Essentially topography maps of the greens that show slopes and slope percentages.   Players and caddies will still have the option to build their own green charts with the information they want. Players were able to and did this at Augusta.  I wish the articles or someone would clarify what is really meant by a green reading book.  

This was my question, I honestly didn’t even know these were pre built for them I thought all the greens books were made by caddie and co during practice rounds (shows how much I pay attention to the tour)

Now that I have the info definitely ban the pre made ones I guess? I could see it go either way it’ll be a major stink I’m sure 

• Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

"it's just taking away a skill that takes time and practice"

Similar cavity-back irons and 460cc titanium and carbon fiber drivers. Go back to persimmon and blades with the same argument? 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila DVS

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Studio Design 2.5/:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

30 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

This was my question, I honestly didn’t even know these were pre built for them I thought all the greens books were made by caddie and co during practice rounds (shows how much I pay attention to the tour)

Now that I have the info definitely ban the pre made ones I guess? I could see it go either way it’ll be a major stink I’m sure 

There's a long history of commercially available yardage books, and they've included indications of slopes and terrain for as long as I can remember.  What changed was laser surveys of green contours, the computer technology to interpret that as contour lines and slope percentages, and the systems (like Aimpoint) to effectively use that stuff.  How do you ban one type of information (slopes and contours) but allow the more traditional stuff, like general indications of contours?  I'm interested to see how the Tour decides to word their new rules.

But that article says that it wasn't a close vote, the vast majority of players at the meeting wanted to ban the greens books, so maybe just a minor stink.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia