Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Kirkland v2

brutal brutus

2 hours ago, Divescribe said:

I have used the Kirkland sand hit them well. However I find that after a second round, they lose a bit of distance. Other better balls (pro V, TP5, or Chrome X) can usually last 3-4 rounds before degrading.

What's that feel like to have a ball last more than one round? That must be glorious 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I've noticed that the balls are in EXTREMELY limited supply lately, and the putters/wedges have completely disappeared from my store and online - only the left-handed putter is currently available online, as well as some gloves.

This leads me to two guesses:  1, they're readying a BIG launch of new product (balls, putter/wedges v.2 and the new irons that hit the conforming list early this year (and then mysteriously disappeared), 2, they've decided there's no money in the golf game and are (forgive me for this terrible pun) changing course.  

I think (and hope) it's #1, as their cost-to-value ratio is impossible to ignore, and as a Kirkland wedge (and sometime ball/glove) user, I can say that their products are excellent.  I've seen more and more people gaming one or all of the products, and not one has complained (other than the extreme high-spin characteristics of the ball, but that's not a bad thing for a lot of golfers) that I've spoken to. 

I remain legitimately interested in trying the irons, should they make their debut.  Having hit the P790s recently, I can see why they would attempt to copy this form as their entryway into the full-bag irons space.  

Fingers crossed 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

I've noticed that the balls are in EXTREMELY limited supply lately, and the putters/wedges have completely disappeared from my store and online - only the left-handed putter is currently available online, as well as some gloves.

This leads me to two guesses:  1, they're readying a BIG launch of new product (balls, putter/wedges v.2 and the new irons that hit the conforming list early this year (and then mysteriously disappeared), 2, they've decided there's no money in the golf game and are (forgive me for this terrible pun) changing course.  

I think (and hope) it's #1, as their cost-to-value ratio is impossible to ignore, and as a Kirkland wedge (and sometime ball/glove) user, I can say that their products are excellent.  I've seen more and more people gaming one or all of the products, and not one has complained (other than the extreme high-spin characteristics of the ball, but that's not a bad thing for a lot of golfers) that I've spoken to. 

I remain legitimately interested in trying the irons, should they make their debut.  Having hit the P790s recently, I can see why they would attempt to copy this form as their entryway into the full-bag irons space.  

Fingers crossed 🙂

... #2 isn't even a consideration. As been stated many times Costco makes the bulk of their profit off membership fees. Members always buy balls and gloves, as well as discontinued clubs. The only real problem they face is supply. IF  they have contracted for a new ball, they certainly won't order more of the old ball if their contract is fulfilled. As far as irons, I think they offer products like everyone should play golf ... one shot at a time. They concern themselves with now and not the future, so even of they only get one huge shipment of the P790 like irons, they will sell then til they are gone and we won't see them again. Although when they put the Kirkland name on a product it is usually around for awhile. 

... I just don't ever see Costco abandoning golf products because it is a big seller or more appropriately makes their members happy. The last thing Costco wants to do is give any customer an excuse to cancel their membership. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

30 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

What's that feel like to have a ball last more than one round? That must be glorious 😉

It was a few years to work out the slice off the driver. I finally found a driver (assuming most balls lost are off the tee), a lighter cobra that I could hit straight. Unfortunately, the shaft broke last week, (a story for another day). Once the driver kept me in play, the rest was easy.

my home course is also very difficult, all hills, no flat lies, and small greens that can be punishing - it’s a homie course. If you can play this course, you can play anywhere. Either I spend millions on balls, or learn to play. I am cheap, so learned to play.

The Big Man

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... #2 isn't even a consideration. As been stated many times Costco makes the bulk of their profit off membership fees. Members always buy balls and gloves, as well as discontinued clubs. The only real problem they face is supply. IF  they have contracted for a new ball, they certainly won't order more of the old ball if their contract is fulfilled. As far as irons, I think they offer products like everyone should play golf ... one shot at a time. They concern themselves with now and not the future, so even of they only get one huge shipment of the P790 like irons, they will sell then til they are gone and we won't see them again. Although when they put the Kirkland name on a product it is usually around for awhile. 

... I just don't ever see Costco abandoning golf products because it is a big seller or more appropriately makes their members happy. The last thing Costco wants to do is give any customer an excuse to cancel their membership. 

I don't REALLY think #2 is an option, but I'm trying to be open to all sides of an argument (that I'm arguing both sides of, as I'm wont to do) 🙂

Golf's never been bigger, so I don't really see them "hurting" by selling golf products, I'm just trying to imagine a corporate mindset, where sourcing balls has become more difficult since their v.1/v.2 (two very different balls).  

Basically, I wanted to be right no matter what direction they went 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

I don't REALLY think #2 is an option, but I'm trying to be open to all sides of an argument (that I'm arguing both sides of, as I'm wont to do) 🙂

Golf's never been bigger, so I don't really see them "hurting" by selling golf products, I'm just trying to imagine a corporate mindset, where sourcing balls has become more difficult since their v.1/v.2 (two very different balls).  

Basically, I wanted to be right no matter what direction they went 😉

... Then you are 100% correct and well done Sam!  🤪  As much as I really dislike Corporate 'Murica I do think Costco is unique. They treat their employees very well and endeavor to give their customers what they want at a great price. I have to think there are plenty of corporate employees in the Sourcing Division and their only job is finding product. Balls are a huge seller for them so they will always be on the lookout for Kirkland production and closeouts from OEMs.

... The only fly in the soup is rising costs. As hard as it is for us forum golfers to comprehend, bargain hunters that feed their family with samples 🙄 will go ballistic if Costco raises the price of 2 dozen Kirkland balls to $39.99 which us real golfers would still view as 2 dozen for the price of one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it that V3 KSig is about to release.  I picked up some V2's for $19.97 a two dozen pack a few weeks ago, supposedly they are being closed out.

Maybe it's already been in the thread, I didn't read it all.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

I'd pay $39.99 for 2 dozen with lower spin. I'm not a yellow ball guy so that doesn't appeal as much as a ball that doesn't soar like a kite.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

3 hours ago, FightingScot82 said:

Dammit! You scooped me - I was just coming on to post a few screengrabs from the site.  Looks like totally new packaging, and the "Performance +" no longer as dots on either side (which the v.2 had), so this looks to be the legit v.3.

Not a huge fan of the price bump, but as with most of their stuff, the in-store price will be at least $5 cheaper (or, typically that's the case, anyway).

Still waiting on the new wedge set/irons set, but this is at least a taste of their new product lineup.  Hopefully these spin slightly less than v.2, as it was bit of a niche product. 

Kirkland Balls 2.JPGKirkland Balls 1.JPGKirkland Balls 3.JPG

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Dammit! You scooped me - I was just coming on to post a few screengrabs from the site.  Looks like totally new packaging, and the "Performance +" no longer as dots on either side (which the v.2 had), so this looks to be the legit v.3.

Not a huge fan of the price bump, but as with most of their stuff, the in-store price will be at least $5 cheaper (or, typically that's the case, anyway).

... I stopped in a different Costco today figuring if they were anywhere, it would be in Phoenix because it is a golf crazy place and Kirklands are godly popular here. There was a big pallet of the V2 but no V3's. 🙄  Considering the V2 isn't available online and they weren't in the other 2 Costco's I normally shop at, I was certainly surprised. 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Still waiting on the new wedge set/irons set, but this is at least a taste of their new product lineup.  Hopefully these spin slightly less than v.2, as it was bit of a niche product. 

Just ordered mine - they'll be here on Monday.  I have a golf sim and plan to compare the numbers of the V2 vs V3.

Pretty excited to check them out, really hoping the spin numbers are down.  Only thing I use the V2's for now are on my simulator.  It's a great value for that.

-- Peejer

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

42 minutes ago, Peejer said:

Just ordered mine - they'll be here on Monday.  I have a golf sim and plan to compare the numbers of the V2 vs V3.

Pretty excited to check them out, really hoping the spin numbers are down.  Only thing I use the V2's for now are on my simulator.  It's a great value for that.

-- Peejer

.... Awesome! Really looking forward to your results. 

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

V2 only available here in Puget Sound today.  I looked for the new ball and only found V2 for $19.97.  Bacon was $13.xx for 4 pounds so there was that.

Fry it up into a circle, you might be on to something. 

The website says delivery by May 5, so maybe that's the release schedule? 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

16 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Price bump was inevitable. Still a great deal and that price includes shipping, so I think its fair.

12 hours ago, bekgolf said:

V2 only available here in Puget Sound today.  I looked for the new ball and only found V2 for $19.97.  Bacon was $13.xx for 4 pounds so there was that.

Damn. If these worked for me (too much spin with driver) I'd be all over it. They were worth it for $20/dozen if they work for someone. I tried getting my dad off of SuperSofts at Target but he couldn't stomach the store brand stigma.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:28 PM, bekgolf said:

Costco.com shows the new ball is in stock today at the Issaquah store.

FWIW, I started playing the v2 for price (not cringing when lost), the feel and the high spin needed on my irons. Then was one drive down here in Naples I hammered a drive and was expecting to be substantially past my partner who I was usually longer than. To my surprise I was 30-40 feet shorter than him. Based on this I checked out Ballnamic and MGS and find the v2 is the worst into the wind. 
im 90 driver SS and lower spin player and will be trying the BX or BXS next. 

In the for what it's worth column...........Played the new V3 K (performance+ logo) for 2 holes yesterday. Was given a 2 pack from a friend and have no idea where he got them from. Anyway, not impressed with them. I don't have the young guys swing speed, but can still hit it a decent distance, but these balls actually lost distance for me. Perhaps a higher swing speed player could/would have a better result, but I don't really think older or slower swings (90 and under with driver) players will get/see any benefits................

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Just got my balls in today!!  Worked late, but I promised I'd get them on my simulator.  I only hit my 7-iron to get initial numbers.  I'll get more data as the week goes on with Wedge and driver.  But here you go...  I added the ProV1, but will admit it's not a current one.  It's at least the previous years model - I don't play Titleist, so didn't have a current one handy to test against.  I just added it for a general comparison.

A few comments - for starters, my club head decreased as I went on.  I worked a full day, had dinner and then jumped on the sim.

I only counted shots that were quality strikes - bad swings were removed from the calculations.  If you're curious, the iron is a Taylormade P790 (30.5* loft) and stiff shaft.

Hope you find this data interesting.

image.png.05e54eafff21dd0683d66621b3230407.png

635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

14 hours ago, Peejer said:

Just got my balls in today!!  Worked late, but I promised I'd get them on my simulator.  I only hit my 7-iron to get initial numbers.  I'll get more data as the week goes on with Wedge and driver.  But here you go...  I added the ProV1, but will admit it's not a current one.  It's at least the previous years model - I don't play Titleist, so didn't have a current one handy to test against.  I just added it for a general comparison.

A few comments - for starters, my club head decreased as I went on.  I worked a full day, had dinner and then jumped on the sim.

I only counted shots that were quality strikes - bad swings were removed from the calculations.  If you're curious, the iron is a Taylormade P790 (30.5* loft) and stiff shaft.

Hope you find this data interesting.

image.png.05e54eafff21dd0683d66621b3230407.png

Thanks for this; looks like you didn't hit the V2's quite as well (1.32 smash vs 1.36 on the other two), so tough to really make an apples-to-apples here, but if they have legit knocked 600 rpm off the new model, that's pretty dang impressive

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

9 hours ago, GregGarner said:

Thanks for this; looks like you didn't hit the V2's quite as well (1.32 smash vs 1.36 on the other two), so tough to really make an apples-to-apples here, but if they have legit knocked 600 rpm off the new model, that's pretty dang impressive

Obviously very rudimentary data, this was done for a quick look and I certainly  don't pretend to be as accurate as MGS ball tests.  Hence the 'Hope you find this data interesting' comment.  It looks like you've done a few ball reviews.  For comparison - what do your numbers on this look like?

image.png1500Li Cart

Denver, Colorado

image.png

image.png

On 5/1/2023 at 5:56 PM, ballhawk said:

In the for what it's worth column...........Played the new V3 K (performance+ logo) for 2 holes yesterday. Was given a 2 pack from a friend and have no idea where he got them from. Anyway, not impressed with them. I don't have the young guys swing speed, but can still hit it a decent distance, but these balls actually lost distance for me. Perhaps a higher swing speed player could/would have a better result, but I don't really think older or slower swings (90 and under with driver) players will get/see any benefits................

Are you sure the ball you were playing was the V3 version?  Both the V2 and V3 say "PERFORMANCE +" on them.  The V2 has a dot and solid triangle before and after it.

The V3 has << PERFORMANCE + >> on them.

image.png1500Li Cart

Denver, Colorado

image.png

image.png

10 hours ago, Peejer said:

Obviously very rudimentary data, this was done for a quick look and I certainly  don't pretend to be as accurate as MGS ball tests.  Hence the 'Hope you find this data interesting' comment.  It looks like you've done a few ball reviews.  For comparison - what do your numbers on this look like?

Yeah man, totally wasn't trying to step on your review! I'm really glad you were able to get some preliminary numbers for us!!

I haven't hit the Kirkland on a LM. I'm a pretty high-spin player (my 7i with a Chrome Soft XLS is 8000 rpm...) so the Kirkland V2 is just completely unplayable for me. Unless I just want to see if I can hit a sand wedge that rips so hard it comes all the way back to me... 😆

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

18 hours ago, Peejer said:

Are you sure the ball you were playing was the V3 version?  Both the V2 and V3 say "PERFORMANCE +" on them.  The V2 has a dot and solid triangle before and after it.

The V3 has << PERFORMANCE + >> on them.

Yeah, it was the new V3.............

Total Callaway bag - except putter

• 3 weeks later...

When MyGolfSpy does their lab tests on the Kirkland V3's, I hope they post results from both the manufacturing countries.

I'm very interested in seeing both balls cut open and see if they're the same.  Are other companies doing the same?  Meaning manufacturing from different countries???

Seems like an odd way to do business....hoping there's some consistency between the two.

image.png1500Li Cart

Denver, Colorado

image.png

image.png

5 minutes ago, Peejer said:

When MyGolfSpy does their lab tests on the Kirkland V3's, I hope they post results from both the manufacturing countries.

I'm very interested in seeing both balls cut open and see if they're the same.  Are other companies doing the same?  Meaning manufacturing from different countries???

Seems like an odd way to do business....hoping there's some consistency between the two.

... My guess is they are identical as far as materials and dimple patterns. Whether one factory produces a more consistent product will be the real issue and I am looking forward to the report too. I only have 2 rounds in with the V3 VN ball, but so far I am pretty impressed. 

2 hours ago, Peejer said:

Srixon manufactures their golf balls in multiple countries.  I’m sure that there are others that do this, as well (Callaway among them).  Both Callaway and Srixon have experienced great discrepancies in quality levels between or among their multiple ball manufacturing plants.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a double dozen the other day and had a chance to play them yesterday. I’m not a high level player but I had absolutely no issues with them. I currently play a V1X or Maxfli Tour X so I like a little spinnier ball. When I was hitting my driver well, I had several 260(ish) yard drives which is about normal for me. Iron play was the distance I would expect. Ball didn’t seem to spin any more or less than my normal balls. It definitely stung less losing them at only $1/ball as opposed to $3-4 each. This could be put into regular rotation.

We will see how they fare in the ball lab as far as quality and the 2023 ball test as far as comparative performance. It seems like an even better bang for your buck than before.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS