Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How will hitting off a mat with simulator affect golf game?

Just curious how hitting off a net with a mat will affect golf game? Pros/cons? Have you noticed any change in your game after doing it for a prolonged period?

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

21 minutes ago, cciciora13 said:

Just curious how hitting off a net with a mat will affect golf game? Pros/cons? Have you noticed any change in your game after doing it for a prolonged period?

First, I would hit off the mat and into the net- things could get tricky the other way 😝

I've been doing it for about 8 months indoors and found it to be very beneficial.  I converted the entertainment room the kids used after they got to college.

Using it inspired me to fine tune and implement a swing change that has really helped my ball striking. Just being able to consistently put the club face on the ball is something I wouldn't have been able to achieve without a lot of range time. Also, the reps have helped my stamina on the course. Having it a few steps away from my office has helped me blow off a little steam or meditate during the workday. It's also a great way to warm up before heading to the course.

I've found that it's a good idea to get to the range once a week or so to make sure you aren't engraining bad habits into your swing- like a late fade or draw that you'd have no way of noticing hitting into a net.  Another thing to watch for is not overdoing it, like any other drill you want to have a purpose when you practice.

I haven't added a simulator or tracker yet- but that will probably be something I'll get when the time/ price is right.

Mostly :taylormade-small: ITB. SIMMs, P790s...etc

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

I've had a simulator for 2 1/2 years and have not had any issues. My league handicap is a shot or 2 lower than it was a few years ago, so I would say it has helped. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I think there are two things that have to be considered; first being the type of mat you hit into - are you able to hit down and through without bouncing off, and how will that impact your arms/elbows in the long term.  There are multiple good options out there.  I like the TrueStrike.  But whatever you chose this is just my way of saying don’t go cheap if you really ant o replicate on course conditions.

Second item being having some way of tracking ball flight.  You said launch monitor so I assume you’ve got some radar planned.  You have to be able to detect curve and lateral distance - not just how far and high did I hit it.  I had wanted to build something but waited and waited until I could find an affordable radar that tracked side spin.  For me that was the Mevo+  Otherwise I was afraid just hitting into a net might ingrain a bad habit.  

I’ve been using my set up since last spring and believe it has helped immensely.  I had a great fall.  I just signed up w a pro on Skillest and plan to do a lot of video recording and lesson and drills here the next few months - will be much nicer to do at home.  I think anything that helps you practice more often, makes it easier to find the time to work on drills and ingrain good habits can only be beneficial long term.  So long as you aren’t doing something that causes damage - hence the hitting surface and some sort of launch monitor.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Any practice down correctly will be beneficial. I wouldn’t trust the numbers on any simulator that’s not from gcquad indoors. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

I think it will depend a lot on how you practice.  As one of the most wanted testers I hit a lot of balls into a screen off a mat.  In general just hitting balls into a net even with a GCQuad won’t provide a lot of benefit; just like going to the range and just hitting balls.  If you are focusing on skill improvement then yes it can be very beneficial.  You can work on skills like low point control, ball contact with full and partial swings, launch windows, and ball start line.  Without something like a skytrak, mevo, trackman, GCQuad that shows ball flight, it will be difficult to understand the actual,flight if the ball.   Prior to this year, I would say that other than wedge testing, hitting all those balls provided little benefit because I was just hitting balls.   This year I am a little more focused on improving my swing while, hitting those balls and a little more deliberate in the whole process.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

I am not sure if you mean you know you can hit off a mat, and wonder how much improvement you can expect.  Or if you mean will it affect your ability to perform when you go to an actual golf course.  I am in the latter.  I would just caution you.  If you feel yourself changing your swing because you feel like you can't hit down on the ball, or anything else off a mat,  be careful.  I can not use a mat.  I alter my swing, and then when I go and play, I hit more thin, and fat shots for a round or two, because the bad contact i make off a mat gets in my head, its probably just me, but thought I would throw that out there for you.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

For me, hitting off a mat gives me a false sense of better ball striking because I get away with shots that are slightly fat.  With a well struck ball, the difference is far less obvious.  All said and done, I'd say that it will do you more good than harm if that's the only option you have to work on your swing between rounds (unless you're just randomly banging balls without purpose!)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug