Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

my equipment bias is the amount of focus companies put on what goes into developing the heads of their products, from 10,000 feet, as a consumer, I feel there are very few "innovations" but once there is then "best practices' take over and all the top brands copy in some way the innovation, so after a very short time all the top brands are basically the same. I believe more time and energy should be put into the "engine" of the club and that is the shaft. When I get fitted this coming fall it will probably be 75% shaft and 25% type of construction of the head and I am thinking particularly of the irons. For example the tailor-made 790 irons, from what I see they definitely go further than blade type  irons but when they hit the green they dont stop, they have less spin so you have to take that into consideration. 

I know the feedback I get from all the posts on this site will help me wade through the decision making process for new clubs which can be daunting, and I appreciate the help.

committed to performance excellence

I played Henry Griffits for over 30 years ..I wanted to get into something more modern..

I got fit at Golf Tech with Mizuno which i didn’t like at all.. I played with them for about 5 years 

About 4 months ago I went to a PXG fitting and picked up about 10 extra yards I ordered the Ccore irons that look like a muscle back club. Very happy with the clubs and driver.. I also play a callaway 5 and 7 wood from a few years ago .. I like the head design..

i haven’t tryed any of the offerings from any other manufacturer..but iam extremely happy with PXG … 

New PXG Xcore ..irons and 0311 XF driver…

Love this thread and for me I think I certainly have some bias towards varies brands for various reasons and even within the different areas of their lineups. Example Callaway I have always liked and enjoyed their drivers, but not so much their irons or wedges. I have tried them, but just didn't really get on with them.

Ping - Love it all and would happily play a full bag.

Sub70 - Irons I am a huge fan of and can say I am a sub70 fanboy. 

Cobra - Another brand I really like and there is very little they come out with that I am not super excited for. 

Mizuno - Falls in a similar category, however irons more vs woods. The woods I am very meh on. 

Titleist - They are slowly taking over my bag. I had not really got on with many of their clubs and felt very neutral about them. However got my Tsi3 and my whole perception flipped to falling in love with them.

Taylormade - Honestly pretty neutral. I like the P760 and p770 and I have wanted to like their long clubs, but in the end it feels like a lot of hype so I am pretty selective in my love for them. 

Wilson honestly is a meh. They don't excite me so I don't have any strong feelings or opinions on them. Similar can be said for Tour Edge. 

Putters are a different world. Huge fan of Odyssey, Evnroll and Ping... but I am more shape specific and I will be honest Scotties don't do a whole lot for me. 

Srixon - I love the golf balls. Irons I haven't hit and I am more impressed based off all of your opinions vs my own. 

I really like DTC brands. They have hit a sweet spot with me and I want to try and own them all. 

There are few brands I would say I have a bias against, but if there was one that it would be the most against it would be TM as for the bias towards without question I am in favour of Ping clubs above all. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I can sheepishly admit that I am somewhat of a Taylormade fanboy. I have no other reason than I was gifted a full used set of older TM clubs by one of my uncle's friends when I started playing. I do have a Titleist driver now, but every other club, at the moment, is Taylormade. There is a good chance of that changing when I get a new irons set as I want to hit the new Sub70 offering badly. 

But I can say that even when I did a driver fitting and the TSi3 fit me best, I was still tempted to go with the Sim 2 even though it didn't perform quite as well as the TSi3. 😅

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I guess I am not typical in that I will only use whatever clubs help me from a limited number of brands. Could change some day but I wouldn't even look at any club not made by Titleist, Mizuno irons, or PING over the past few years. When I get fit, I won't even swing other brands. I've allowed Callaway in the running, but refuse TM or Wilson (even though I used to hold Wilson in very high regard). Some Srixon irons look nice, but I haven’t tried them.

For putters it's Evnroll all the way ***, Scotty's are truly beautiful but I don't like their feel at all. I expected to want a Scotty, but I’ve never liked any I’ve tried out.

I've had Callaway woods but I much prefer Titleist. I had TaylorMade Burner Bubble woods a long time ago, they were OK but I will never buy from TM again. I doubt I will ever buy anything Cobra, but just my opinion. I've thought about PXG but can't get past the annoying advertisements. The other brands are just background noise to me, but I don't expect or want to influence anyone else.

As for other golf equipment brands, see sig line.

*** As an aside, we recently had an outing where we had to use clubs, including putters, from anyone else in our foursome on all par 3's (couldn’t use our own). The other guys had a Scotty, a Rossie and a LAB putter - ALL three of them used my Evnroll on every hole. They must have liked it, since they reached for it every time...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

For many years I only played Mizuno irons, but a couple of years ago I switched to PXG irons because of the price.  Imagine that.....PXG being less expensive than Mizuno.

For my woods, I have played Ping for several years, but last year, I picked up a PXG driver, 3 wood, and 7 wood, because of the price.  

Now I own, 2 sets of PXG irons, plus the woods mentioned above, but I do not care for the PXG TV ads.

I have also owned clubs from Cobra, Tour Edge, Titlelist, Hogan, MacGregor, and Callaway and all were quality clubs.  

Brand and model selection is very personal....I have to like what I'm looking down at.  My putter for instance, I really like the way my TM Spider X looks behind the ball.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Interesting thread - but I'll go beyond just clubs that are in the bag. 

Positive Bias

TM only because my SIM 2 MAX D driver outshines my 410 along with previous drivers.  Because of that I'm tempted to replace my 410 hybrids even though they have performed well in the past. 

Cobra Fairway Woods and Irons. - I was fitted for both and my Speedzone irons which are a few years old they work better than other OEM's current offerings and look great after 300 + rounds. 

Mizuno - when I got fitted last time they had just stopped production of the  919HM. Ended up ordering the Speedzones because the 921 weren't available yet. 

Volkey Wedges - you can't prey those from my hands, They were well worth the extra $$ over my RTX wedges. 

Shotscope because their support is superior to other golf tech companies

Precision Pro: same as above for support. I had an initial problem with NX7, they immediately sent out an upgraded NX9HD no charge even before I sent the old one back. And what can't you like about free batteries for life. 

Odyssey O Works Putter. - I'm afraid to try anything else - it's just too good. 

Snell & Vice both are more economical and seem to have the same results as my previous gamer - Pro V1

Neutral Bias

Ping - I think of them as a competent engineering company that puts out solid products. I still have the 410 SFT driver (in my spare bag) and the 410 hybrids and even have an older set of G20 irons. Overall solid but not exceptional.

WIlson Staff - I still have my C300's in my spare bag. They work well but look terrible - especially next to my Speedzones with the same number of rounds. 

Negative Bias 

Callaway: even though my wife was fitted for their irons they just didn't work for me. The GBB driver I had was a POS - can't even remember what I did with it after I got the 410 SFT (which has been replaced by the SIM). 

PXG - I've heard used car commercials that are better the ones Mr. Parsons does. And don't get my wife started on the older ones that emphasized how sexy they were. Seems like they started out as a premium product and now they're a heavy discount brand.  

ARRCOS; Never could get their technology to work without a lot of editing. My original LINK was replaced and still didn't work right plus I hate subscription services. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

7 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Interesting thread - but I'll go beyond just clubs that are in the bag. 

Positive Bias

TM only because my SIM 2 MAX D driver outshines my 410 along with previous drivers.  Because of that I'm tempted to replace my 410 hybrids even though they have performed well in the past. 

Cobra Fairway Woods and Irons. - I was fitted for both and my Speedzone irons which are a few years old they work better than other OEM's current offerings and look great after 300 + rounds. 

Mizuno - when I got fitted last time they had just stopped production of the  919HM. Ended up ordering the Speedzones because the 921 weren't available yet. 

Volkey Wedges - you can't prey those from my hands, They were well worth the extra $$ over my RTX wedges. 

Shotscope because their support is superior to other golf tech companies

Precision Pro: same as above for support. I had an initial problem with NX7, they immediately sent out an upgraded NX9HD no charge even before I sent the old one back. And what can't you like about free batteries for life. 

Odyssey O Works Putter. - I'm afraid to try anything else - it's just too good. 

Snell & Vice both are more economical and seem to have the same results as my previous gamer - Pro V1

Neutral Bias

Ping - I think of them as a competent engineering company that puts out solid products. I still have the 410 SFT driver (in my spare bag) and the 410 hybrids and even have an older set of G20 irons. Overall solid but not exceptional.

WIlson Staff - I still have my C300's in my spare bag. They work well but look terrible - especially next to my Speedzones with the same number of rounds. 

Negative Bias 

Callaway: even though my wife was fitted for their irons they just didn't work for me. The GBB driver I had was a POS - can't even remember what I did with it after I got the 410 SFT (which has been replaced by the SIM). 

PXG - I've heard used car commercials that are better the ones Mr. Parsons does. And don't get my wife started on the older ones that emphasized how sexy they were. Seems like they started out as a premium product and now they're a heavy discount band.  

ARRCOS; Never could get their technology to work without a lot of editing. My original LINK was replaced and still didn't work right plus II hate subscription services. 

Great callout on Arrcos!  Negative for me as well.  Subscription service is a cancer.

I have also noticed among the 20-60+ seniors that I play with regularly:

• Almost none have ever been fitted though they spend plenty on equipment. The one guy who did a full bag fitting at CC and spent $5K on clubs there, has not improved one iota - if anything his HI has gotten worse even though he practices and plays more than ever. He’s been trying to make his CC custom fit clubs work for well over a year.
  • Most tend to limit their purchase/selections to whatever they can buy brick-n-mortar, or even restrict themselves to what the home pro shop carries (mostly Callaway clubs, FJ or Ecco shoes, etc.). Some never drive to GG or PGASS even though they're in our metro area!
  • Most buy what looks good and they fully believe marketing BS, or buy whatever another player bought and liked recently.
  • I am only one of two (senior) guys I know who uses or has even tried anything DTC, e.g. Snell golf balls, Evnroll putters (rare in BnM), Payntr shoes. 
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Brands I’m all in on:

Titleist - quality, innovation, performance. Not to mention instant bag credibility. Current clubs I’m gaming: (4) U505 2iron, 3 vokey wedges.

Ping - quality, innovation, performance, integrity. No bullsh*t,  their clubs work and they don’t do hype. Current clubs I’m gaming: (8) g410 LST 3 wood, i210 4iron, i59 5-PW.

Mizuno - quality, performance, aesthetics. Another instant cred club you can game. Mizuno irons scream “player”. Currently clubs I’m gaming (1) M-craft IV putter.

Cobra - innovation, performance, underdog. Those in the “know” know cobra clubs are legit. Never seen anyone gaming cobra clubs that didn’t know how to use them. Current clubs I’m gaming: (1) LTDx LS driver.

Brands I’m on the fence about:

Srixon - top tier balls and legit irons, not so sure about the woods.

Cleveland - never gotten along with their wedges.

PXG - make good drivers, don’t really care for Bob. Too much hype for the product.

Brands I’m unfairly biased against:

Taylormade - they make product as good as anyone else’s: but I can’t stand all they hype and marketing. All I could do was roll my eyes when stealth came out. I hit all their products well, but game anything from them? Nope.

Callaway - Another company that makes my eyes roll: from the ball debacle a few years back to all the marketing hype. No thanks. Never hit their clubs well, except for last year’s Max LS, and was so glad when the cobra proved to be better, so I didn’t have to confront my bias.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

my equipment bias is the amount of focus companies put on what goes into developing the heads of their products, from 10,000 feet, as a consumer, I feel there are very few "innovations" but once there is then "best practices' take over and all the top brands copy in some way the innovation, so after a very short time all the top brands are basically the same. I believe more time and energy should be put into the "engine" of the club and that is the shaft. When I get fitted this coming fall it will probably be 75% shaft and 25% type of construction of the head and I am thinking particularly of the irons. For example the tailor-made 790 irons, from what I see they definitely go further than blade type  irons but when they hit the green they dont stop, they have less spin so you have to take that into consideration. 

I know the feedback I get from all the posts on this site will help me wade through the decision making process for new clubs which can be daunting, and I appreciate the help.

The shaft isn’t the engine 

Shaft Myth #1 – The shaft is the engine of the golf club 

If I had a dollar for every time I have heard this statement, I might not be rich, but I definitely would be able to go to a nice restaurant and enjoy a good dinner with a good bottle of wine! It is far more truthful to say that “the golfer is the engine,” while “the shaft is the transmission of the golf club.” 

A shaft does not create energy during the swing. It is simply the component that takes the energy generated by the golfer and transmits it to the clubhead to hit the ball. It is true that if certain elements of the shaft are not properly fit to the golfer’s specific swing characteristics, the golfer can lose distance by experiencing a lower clubhead speed or more off-center hits than he could generate from using a correctly fit shaft. At the same token, if the shaft is accurately fit, the golfer has a much better chance of fully optimizing his/her potential to hit the ball to the best of their ability. 

Performance wise, the shaft, 1) can affect the dynamic loft of the clubhead at impact within a narrow range of 2 to 3 degrees, but only for those golfers with a later to very late release; 2) will chiefly control the total weight of the club, which in turn can have an effect on the golfer’s clubhead speed, 3) can affect some golfers’ (not all) confidence and swing consistency by displaying a “bending feel” during the swing that is either more preferred or less preferred by the golfer. That’s it, that’s the full list of what the shaft can do.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't care for Taylormade clubs across the board, they just never seem to work for me. And I've tried.

I loathe PXG's marketing and Bob Parsons in general so I will never pay a penny for their stuff. 

Everything else, I'm open to trying and buying. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Like it, Ill jump in. I dont have to many negative bias but just very neutral, could care less for stuff that comes out. Just doesn't excite me

Positive Bias

Titleist-For me you cant talk golf and not have the first word after Tiger that comes to your mouth not be Titleist (ok maybe Arnold Palmer). For me if I was on tour I would probably want to be gaming all Titleist. 

Cobra-For me there is very little that they do that I am not pumped up for. I have even changed out my Nike hats for Puma ones.....That's saying something

Taylormade-For me they are coming across as Titleist, offerings top to bottom including balls. I just have never agreed with their equipment outside of my SIM 3W....Couldn't tell ya I don't but I still want to try everything they offer

OGIO-I put OGIO as expert golf bags

Bushnell-Top tier range finder for me. I will always go to Bushnell first just because of the top tier name in that industry

Neutral Bias

Ping-Have never really agreed with their equipment. Nothing really excites me when they have equipment coming out. Love their bags though

Mizuno-This is slowly becoming Positive but its one of those ones that has never been a top pick for me. Still stuck in neutral but the 221/223/225's really peeked my interest last year

Callaway-Just middle of the road for me, could care less

Negative Bias 

These have no real substance as to why its just how I feel about these specific ones initial thought. Would never not consider equipment if it worked but I definitely don't seek to try this equipment really.

PXG-In a word? Gimmick. Feel like everything is a sales pitch, I don't need my golf club to tell me how manly I am....That's what my car is for🤣

Wilson-I feel like for my generation, its just one of those companies that is bottom barrel.....No other reason than that really

Srixon-For me it just feels like a knockoff, but that's all I have

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Sub70 - Irons I am a huge fan of and can say I am a sub70 fanboy. 

I still maintain that a Sub70 fanboy badge should be created… 😉

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Titleist, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, PXG and Miura are really the only place I look at for irons. TM gets a peek but it’s rare I’ll buy.

Ive tried other brands and they just aren’t my cup of tee.

Drivers/woods/hybrids are going to be Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade. They always come out on top. I will rarely hit or try anything else unless my fitter wants my thoughts on a club.

Wedges I am a vokey fan and will rarely look anywhere else. I still have some Wilson wedges from 6 or so years ago that were custom stamped by Nick when he was running around with their tour van pushing a new line of clubs. I have some TM mg2 wedges that are nice and stay in a second bag, but if it came down to it vokey will always be my go to

Putter is always open to miura, scotty Cameron (mostly circle T models) Ping and seemore.

Ive tried Callaway on several different releases and never got along well with anything long term other than the gbb mini driver. Between that and how much I was not a fan of their marketing team and some other platforms they will net get a look from me for anything. Toulon selling out to them and hearing one thing from Sean himself and another from Harry on their in house show sealed the deal as well

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I used to have a heavy bias towards Callaway. That bias has lessened over time, but it is still there. Having worked with Sub70 and purchased multiple Sub70 products, I am also a fanboy especially in terms of irons and wedges. When looking for something new, I think Sub70 first. I have a favorable bias towards Cobra, Ping, and Mizuno as well. I know that Titleist makes great equipment, but given the vast amount of Titleist fanboys out there, the contrarian in me tends to avoid buying anything Titleist. Finally, I am anti-PXG for some of the reasons mentioned above and am indifferent to Taylormade, Srixon, New Level, and many others.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The shaft isn’t the engine 

Shaft Myth #1 – The shaft is the engine of the golf club 

If I had a dollar for every time I have heard this statement, I might not be rich, but I definitely would be able to go to a nice restaurant and enjoy a good dinner with a good bottle of wine! It is far more truthful to say that “the golfer is the engine,” while “the shaft is the transmission of the golf club.” 

A shaft does not create energy during the swing. It is simply the component that takes the energy generated by the golfer and transmits it to the clubhead to hit the ball. It is true that if certain elements of the shaft are not properly fit to the golfer’s specific swing characteristics, the golfer can lose distance by experiencing a lower clubhead speed or more off-center hits than he could generate from using a correctly fit shaft. At the same token, if the shaft is accurately fit, the golfer has a much better chance of fully optimizing his/her potential to hit the ball to the best of their ability. 

Performance wise, the shaft, 1) can affect the dynamic loft of the clubhead at impact within a narrow range of 2 to 3 degrees, but only for those golfers with a later to very late release; 2) will chiefly control the total weight of the club, which in turn can have an effect on the golfer’s clubhead speed, 3) can affect some golfers’ (not all) confidence and swing consistency by displaying a “bending feel” during the swing that is either more preferred or less preferred by the golfer. That’s it, that’s the full list of what the shaft can do.

wow, that is interesting and I like the idea of the shaft being the transmission... makes sense. I am interested how you arrived at these thoughts? 

wow, that is interesting and I like the idea of the shaft being the transmission... makes sense. I am interested how you arrived at these thoughts? 

I didn’t arrive at these thoughts. This is from an article Tom Wishon route for wrx about a decade ago. It’s the first of 10 myths he covered in that article. 

He’s not the only one that feels that way. The vast majority of high level fitters think the same way. It’s why when one goes to a place like TPI, ECPC, The kingdom, TXG to name some highly reputable places and fitters who deal with the best fit the head first and shaft is used to fine tune the results. Shaft has two roles weight and feel

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I didn’t arrive at these thoughts. This is from an article Tom Wishon route for wrx about a decade ago. It’s the first of 10 myths he covered in that article. 

He’s not the only one that feels that way. The vast majority of high level fitters think the same way. It’s why when one goes to a place like TPI, ECPC, The kingdom, TXG to name some highly reputable places and fitters who deal with the best fit the head first and shaft is used to fine tune the results. Shaft has two roles weight and feel

ahh, thanks, Tom would know for sure

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Great discussion, but please continue it on another thread so we can keep this one on topic

I don't have a negative bias as for companies. Over the years, I've played some of the more fringe manufacturers such as: Golfsmith, Maltby, McHenry Metals, Innovex, Directed Force/L.A.B., Liquid Metal, Purespin, Alien, Orlimar, Toski, Eidolon, etc...

Brand isn't an issue for me but appearance will often be. Strange claim, I know, coming from a guy who played a Directed Force Reno 2.1 (Mezz.1 Max currently) and who bagged an Alien wedge and Cleveland Niblick so many years ago.

But generally, I don't Iike loud colors. Applies mostly to shafts, I just don't like the louder schemes. And that's just for me when looking at them in my own clubs as i find them distracting. When others have them, I not only don't have an opinion, but most times, I'll barely notice.

Beefy top-lines on irons. I used to be among the crowd believing the thinner the better. Now, I don't mind more there, and although I'm not quite sure what my limit might be, I'll know when I see it whether or not it's off-putting. The Apex line and my i500 irons, for example, have pleasing enough to me top-lines.

Blade putters. Love the look of them, visually, as instruments. But I just don't have any confidence with them anymore at address. No issues with the 50% larger or double-wide versions, for whatever reason.

And maybe a silly one, OEM headcovers. Again, I'll barely notice what others have covering their clubs, but I just don't want them in my bag. I think it started from a belief that advertising the latest and greatest may invite theft, because that was once a concern of mine. But now, I just prefer generic covers.

Good topic.

I think one of the few true biases I have anymore is that I will 100 percent give anything with a Callaway OptiFit hosel first dibs before any other club with an adjustable hosel. I prefer that the shaft graphics stay aligned underneath the club.

That being said, I recently replaced my Callaway Epic Flash hybrid with a PXG 0211 during their fire sale cleaning out old inventory. The PXG can go flatter and fits my swing better, but the graphics don't align. I could fix it, but I think I'm going to be lazy and leave it.

I have some allegiances to Callaway, Cobra, Maxfli and Edel given their generosity in testing opportunities here that I was lucky to take part in. Sub70 gets a nod because Jason and his staff have gone above and beyond for me on multiple occasions.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

My Biases aren't really many, but I will say this. I will always try  to find space in the bag for something from Tour Edge if at all possible, and while they're good for my game, I sometimes steer away from Titleist balls just to be different and to save some cash. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Fun topic...

Some of my positives: Mizuno and Srixon irons - to my eye, the best looking out there; Ping drivers - their design philosophy fits my faults perfectly; Bridgestone balls - in my younger days I was sponsored by Bridgestone bicycles for racing (yes, it's the same company), one of the best sponsors I ever had and I'm still loyal: Aldila shafts - they have always had at least one model that is a perfect fit without an exorbitant price; TM Milled Grind wedges - I used to be a wedge ho, not any more!

Neutral: TM Irons - I use a set of M3, and my fitter is right in that whatever it is in TM's design philosophy fits me very well, but they just look ordinary.

Negative: Mallet putters (all of them!) - fugly!, and my fitting shows I'm awful with them (granted, maybe a self-perpetuating bias); lines on balls - let me look at a clean top while putting; PXG - as others have stated, their ads are bad; cavity back wedges - I have poor distance control, a longer/harder swing just goes higher, not farther, no trajectory control.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I love this topic. Good thinking Joe. 

Postives:

I will try any Driver with a deep face. My miss has always been up/down and deeper faces just work(although the g430 lst is definitely shallow faced)

Full face wedges. Love me some grooves all over the face. I prefer to carry just a 50* wedge and use it for everything. I’m in the camp of mastering 1 wedge. 

Srixon fairway woods. They just work for me when others don’t. 

I will always give Callaway drivers the nod if all numbers are equal.  Deeper faces and the shaft stays oriented.  

I will try almost anything if it looks good to my eye and don’t have many Oem biases. 

Sik and Evnroll putters are the best in the biz for me. 

Negatives:

Yes I know I currently game Ping I59’s but that little cutout at the back of the hosel bugs the bejeebus out of me lol

Not really bias but annoyance for those that only buy limited edition equipment to flip it for a quick buck.  Yes I get it is how it is but as far as I’m concerned if you have zero interest in collecting or using the item then I hope you end up eating that money.  And no amount of discussion will change my mind!!!

Any equipment that uses gold/yellow and combines it with Red!!!!  Those colors don’t go together in my book!

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

5 hours ago, Middler said:

I have also noticed among the 20-60+ seniors that I play with regularly:

• Almost none have ever been fitted though they spend plenty on equipment. The one guy who did a full bag fitting at CC and spent $5K on clubs there, has not improved one iota - if anything his HI has gotten worse even though he practices and plays more than ever.
  • Most tend to limit their purchase/selections to whatever they can buy brick-n-mortar, or even restrict themselves to what the home pro shop carries (mostly Callaway clubs, FJ or Ecco shoes, etc.). Some never drive to GG or PGASS even though they're in our metro area!
  • Most buy what looks good and they fully believe marketing BS, or buy whatever another player bought and liked recently.
  • I am only one of two (senior) guys I know who uses or has even tried anything DTC, e.g. Snell golf balls, Evnroll putters (rare in BnM), Payntr shoes. 

Funny you should mention the seniors you play with and their purchase tendencies. I play in 4 different groups - anywhere from 25-35 players but some do overlap between the different groups. Yesterday I was playing with 3 guys who were bragging about a local club fitter in town. 2 of them had just bought drivers from this guy so I had a look - no brand name on the head or shaft and they were <$75.00 per driver. I of the guys was playing ARMY golf with his driver the 2nd guy was straight but kept skying the ball. The 3rd guy had bragged about his brand new (no name) putter for $40.  Looks like they got a great bargain. Only 1 of the guys I played with in these groups has commented on a 'real' fitting. Outside of this group I have a close friend, my age,  who bought a Mavrik off the rack (when they just came out)  but still can't hit his driver consistently so he then decided to buy a Mavrik 3 & 5 wood based on what the salesperson at GG told him. FYI he never tried any of the 3 clubs in the store.  All of these guys have been playing most of their lives so the big question is are golfers just a gullible lot ? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart