Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ohio Spies 2023 Meet Ups

DiscipleofPenick

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Completely missed this latest meet-up.  How many spies did you end up in attendance? Spy meets top my list of interest as they are fun to hear about and even more fun to participate in.  I've met some great folks, now friends.  

6 of us total, 5 active MGS'ers. Me, @MattF@Mr_Theoo@DiscipleofPenick@gmmiddle

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Happy to hear that the weather wasn't as initially predicted for you in Ohio and you were able to get the round it.

The pictures do show you had some of the dark clouds, but here in Michigan we had another "washout" weekend with temps. in the 40's and lots of rain.

Looking better for next weekend here, so hopefully I can at least get time in on the range rather than chipping practice in the yard or putting practice indoors.

I mioght even be able to make one of the Ohio events provided it is within a reasonable driving distance time wise, such as Dayton area, etc.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That course looks awesome - hope the other guys took pics as well. 

12 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I didn't see a lot of pics being taken. Hopefully someone took a couple.

I don't believe our group took any at all. Slack, I know.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Our first Ohio Spy meetup is in the books. While it was colder than expected, we avoided the rain and the weather actually improved as the day went on. It was windy and overcast when we teed off at 12:30, but the sun appeared as we made the turn and the back 9 and it stayed nice the rest of the round. The course conditions were fantastic as Turkeyfoot Lake drains amazingly well. Even with rain Fri. Sat, and Sun morning carts were off the path. Greens were firm and fast. The four of us from Cleveland play the course at least once a year, but it was great to hear that our two Columbus spies who made the drive up really liked it and had a great day. It was also great meeting @gmmiddle !

Sorry I'm not much of a picture taker either, this is from behind the 5th green as Mike hit's his approach. And the picture doesn't do it justice, you really can't see just how much slope and tilt this green has. One of the toughest on the course.

IMG_20230430_132828.jpg.1c548d8c15b0956323361c15ad165c62.jpg

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Well with our 1st meetup a success, it is now May 1st so I don't feel too bad about planning one for this month already. 

Now that we should have better weather for May, I'm thinking we can maybe meet somewhere in between Cleveland and Columbus. Here are two courses that I've wanted to play for a long time. We can do one now, and try for the other later in the year.

Ashland GC (Ashland) - country club that turned public about 7-8 years ago. It's a traditonal style course built in the 1920s.

https://www.ashlandgolfclubohio.com/

Deer Ridge (Bellville) - I think some Spies have played here before. Supposed to be a really fun course. Same architect as Eagle Creek, Shale Creek, and The Quarry. I don't see his name on anything in Columbus, but he also did Beavercreek in Dayton.

https://www.deerridgegc.com/

I am thinking the 20/21 to give everyone time to recover? But just to throw it out there, how does Memorial Day weekend look for everyone? Or we could do the 13/14 if that works better for the majority. I can do whatever.

@MattF @MaxEntropy @gmmiddle @Mr_Theoo @tony@CIC @tobybtlr

Take Dead Aim

Memorial Day weekend is likely not good for me - my wife's family will be in town. Unsure of 20/21 just yet.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I'll have to beg off this one completely. I'll be off work but doing major painting in the house for 2 weeks around then.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

6 hours ago, MattF said:

I'll have to beg off this one completely. I'll be off work but doing major painting in the house for 2 weeks around then.

Enjoyable round, thanks to everyone for a great opportunity to play a round!

May is out, I am heading out on early vacation second half of the month. 

I have played both courses and both worthwhile. Ashland is really easy to get to (off 71).  You can’t go wrong with either. 

see you in June!

Golf is Life. 

14 hours ago, gmmiddle said:

Enjoyable round, thanks to everyone for a great opportunity to play a round!

May is out, I am heading out on early vacation second half of the month. 

I have played both courses and both worthwhile. Ashland is really easy to get to (off 71).  You can’t go wrong with either. 

see you in June!

Have you played Brookside in Ashland? I understand it used to be rough, but it's a muni now and I understand the city rehabbed it quite a bit. The Google Earth images are from 2018 so they show it looking pretty burnt up, but a lot can change in 5 years.

Take Dead Aim

4 minutes ago, tobybtlr said:

I live in Newark, but we go up to Ashland golf course a couple times a year and I’ve wonder about Brookside. If it was worth playing both courses.  I’ll have to give it a shot 

If Brookside is worth checking out, we should keep that in mind for June then. I am leaning more toward Deer Ridge as that's the course I've heard more about.

Take Dead Aim

I haven’t played deer ridge in years.  Probably 20 actually.  I’d love to play it again.  What’s the date you’re thinking in June? I’d like to schedule it at home as soon as possible 

Tobybtlr 

42 minutes ago, tobybtlr said:

I haven’t played deer ridge in years.  Probably 20 actually.  I’d love to play it again.  What’s the date you’re thinking in June? I’d like to schedule it at home as soon as possible 

Well since you brought it up, I may as well lay out what I am thinking for everyone.

So for May I was thinking Deer Ridge or Ashland either Memorial Day weekend or the weekend before. I am leaning towards Deer Ridge in May because of what I have in mind for June. Something I wanted to do for a long time, and with a second kid due later this summer it may be awhile before I get the chance again...

I want to do a Solstice 36 holes in June, on whatever weekend is closest to that in June. If Brookside is worth it then Ashland would be great for this because Ashland CC & Brookside are only about 10 minutes apart. If Ashland doesn't work out, the one I would really like to do is Mill Creek Park in Youngstown.

36 holes.

Original Donald Ross.

Need I say more?

Take Dead Aim

21 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Have you played Brookside in Ashland? I understand it used to be rough, but it's a muni now and I understand the city rehabbed it quite a bit. The Google Earth images are from 2018 so they show it looking pretty burnt up, but a lot can change in 5 years.

Never played Brookside.  Maybe worth investigating. 

Golf is Life. 

19 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Well since you brought it up, I may as well lay out what I am thinking for everyone.

So for May I was thinking Deer Ridge or Ashland either Memorial Day weekend or the weekend before. I am leaning towards Deer Ridge in May because of what I have in mind for June. Something I wanted to do for a long time, and with a second kid due later this summer it may be awhile before I get the chance again...

I want to do a Solstice 36 holes in June, on whatever weekend is closest to that in June. If Brookside is worth it then Ashland would be great for this because Ashland CC & Brookside are only about 10 minutes apart. If Ashland doesn't work out, the one I would really like to do is Mill Creek Park in Youngstown.

36 holes.

Original Donald Ross.

Need I say more?

I like it!

Golf is Life. 

18 hours ago, tobybtlr said:

That would be cool to do.  I enjoy Donald Ross golf courses.  My home course is a Donald Ross.  I’d definitely be interested in playing 

Which one is it? I know he did Denison too, and that's at the top of my list of Columbus courses.

Take Dead Aim

just tagging @Stuka44 so he can get in on this. 

Just to keep it short here:

May: Deer Ridge or Ashland CC

June: 36 holes either Ashland CC & Brookside or Mill Creek Park N&S

Take Dead Aim

If anyone is in the Dayton area, I have some guest days at my club this month on Wednesdays! Would be fun to meet up some of the fellow spies in the area. Country Club of the North is the course. It is a signature Nicklaus course in Xenia. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

1 hour ago, Bohnson said:

If anyone is in the Dayton area, I have some guest days at my club this month on Wednesdays! Would be fun to meet up some of the fellow spies in the area. Country Club of the North is the course. It is a signature Nicklaus course in Xenia. 

I wish I was closer, I'd be there in a second!

Take Dead Aim

It’s a pretty good deal, $65ish for 18 @DiscipleofPenick

Edited by Bohnson

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

3 minutes ago, Bohnson said:

It’s a pretty good deal, $65ish for 18 @DiscipleofPenick

That is good, that's as much as the nice public courses cost up here in CLE. Just, it's a little over 3 hours drive. Maybe I could work something out with SWMBO...

Take Dead Aim

Guys it is seeming like May might be tough to get something on the schedule. I've already heard from a few that the end of the month is no good, and so far, we really only have the 20th/21st that looks like it's going to work. Anyone that wants to play that weekend let me know soon so I can figure something out. If not, it's no big deal and we can just plan for a 36-hole meetup in June. 

Take Dead Aim

I can promo price some spies at other events in the area. NCR South on May 22nd and French Lick on May 28 and 29th. 

CCN is still a go for Wednesdays this month 🙂

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

36 hole June meetup:

Looking at June 10th for Ashland CC & Brookside GC in Ashland, Ohio. Tee off at Ashland between 8-9 AM then Brookside around 2 (depending on # of spies). If you only want to play 18 that is fine too, you can pick morning or afternoon round, and I'll make sure to include you in the groupings. Bring friends, spouses, kids...this is open to everyone who wants to play!

Ashland CC is classic county club founded in the 1920s that went public close to a decade ago. The course was laid out by Willie Park Jr., a contemporary and sometimes partner of Donald Ross, so expect that old-style golf course. 

Brookside looked in rough shape a few years ago, but the city purchased it and now that it's a muni has seen a complete overhaul. It's a Hurdzan/Kidwell design. These two built courses all over Ohio in the 60s & 70s so you're probably familiar. Trademarks are big greens, wide fairways, and courses that play a bit longer. Big ballparks where you can rip driver. 

Take Dead Aim

Ohio spies, I created a pool for the PGA this week. Free to enter! I run a golf tour in the Dayton area if anyone is interested. I have custom TP5 / TP5X balls for the winners. 

NORTH AMERICAN GOLF TOUR-- for the -- 2023 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP

HOW IT WORKS

Everyone picks a team of 6 golfers. Add your best 4 of 6 golfers scores to form your team score. The best team score wins the pool. Cut golfers (and anyone who doesn’t finish 4 rounds) get 80 for any rounds not completed. Playoff holes do not count.

HOW TO JOIN THE POOL

Pick your team of golfers here:

http://www.easyofficepools.com/join/?p=258737&e=vuwu

SIGNUP for NAGT 

North American Golf Tour

LIVE LEADERBOARD

Follow the action live

http://www.easyofficepools.com/leaderboard/?p=258737

Brandon Johnson, MBA

WITB: 

• 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

1 hour ago, Bohnson said:

Ohio spies, I created a pool for the PGA this week. Free to enter! I run a golf tour in the Dayton area if anyone is interested. I have custom TP5 / TP5X balls for the winners. 

NORTH AMERICAN GOLF TOUR-- for the -- 2023 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP

HOW IT WORKS

Everyone picks a team of 6 golfers. Add your best 4 of 6 golfers scores to form your team score. The best team score wins the pool. Cut golfers (and anyone who doesn’t finish 4 rounds) get 80 for any rounds not completed. Playoff holes do not count.

HOW TO JOIN THE POOL

Pick your team of golfers here:

http://www.easyofficepools.com/join/?p=258737&e=vuwu

SIGNUP for NAGT 

North American Golf Tour

LIVE LEADERBOARD

Follow the action live

http://www.easyofficepools.com/leaderboard/?p=258737

Thanks! I signed up

Take Dead Aim

On 5/15/2023 at 10:36 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

36 hole June meetup:

Looking at June 10th for Ashland CC & Brookside GC in Ashland, Ohio. Tee off at Ashland between 8-9 AM then Brookside around 2 (depending on # of spies). If you only want to play 18 that is fine too, you can pick morning or afternoon round, and I'll make sure to include you in the groupings. Bring friends, spouses, kids...this is open to everyone who wants to play!

Ashland CC is classic county club founded in the 1920s that went public close to a decade ago. The course was laid out by Willie Park Jr., a contemporary and sometimes partner of Donald Ross, so expect that old-style golf course. 

Brookside looked in rough shape a few years ago, but the city purchased it and now that it's a muni has seen a complete overhaul. It's a Hurdzan/Kidwell design. These two built courses all over Ohio in the 60s & 70s so you're probably familiar. Trademarks are big greens, wide fairways, and courses that play a bit longer. Big ballparks where you can rip driver. 

@MaxEntropy @tobybtlr @RollingGreens @gmmiddle and I've seen some new Ohio spies so please spread the word!

Take Dead Aim