Spikes or spikless?

Alan Scalzi

• Guests
Guest no spikes policy
10 hours ago, Guest PeterR said:

Some courses don't allow spiked shows any more.  I've gotten used to spike less

I believe that is in reference to metal spikes.  Today, the spikes on golf shoes are considered "soft spikes" and they are allowed where metal spikes are not.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:37 PM, Alan Scalzi said:

I own a pair of Nike spike golf shoes not bad but comfort is ok , was looking to get the Nike Air max 270 as they are comfortable ( have not tried them on) just worried about traction for the price $150!

Stay with the spikes.  The 270s are not that comfortable.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

• Guests
Guest Andyb

Both are comfortable, morning play the course is damp and I definitely prefer spikes. I don’t want to take the chance of slipping so spikes it is. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, Alan Scalzi said:

I own a pair of Nike spike golf shoes not bad but comfort is ok , was looking to get the Nike Air max 270 as they are comfortable ( have not tried them on) just worried about traction for the price $150!

Just purchased them can't wait till Sunday to try them out , going to wear them Saturday when hitting into my net at home! Thanks again for all the comments  ok didn't go out today as the weather didn't cooperate.  Though I do like the fir and feel of these shoes! I'm a person whom like everything loose but my gloves and shoes, these shoes are a tight fit, with zero moving inside the shoe when hitting balls . Will post when I get to use them on the course.  Hopefully next weekend. 

Edited by Alan Scalzi

Alan Scalzi 

Adidas ZG21 are the most comfortable spikes I have ever worn. Boost insole is great for me. 

Callaway epic max driver

cobra rad speed fairway woods

Mizuno jpx 921 hot metal pro

Cleveland CBX wedges

Cleveland Huntington Beach putter

I really think that it depends on the terrain, and moisture point you play in most of the time. Some of the spikeless models our quite good for normal conditions, (e.g: Footjoy Pro Sl), and some of the spiked ones for very wet conditions. Where I struggle in picking, is excessively dry conditions, like dormant Bermuda, but I would agree the non-spiked shoes ( lack of spike impact points), tend to be more comfortable after the round.

Christopher J Kim

I’m a throwback guy… I love the saddle shoes, bucks and moc-toe shoes. The traditional stuff G/Fore is making really interests me and I’d love to know what people think of the traction aspect of their shoes.

Look, I’ll shoot a 95 regardless…but I’d prefer I do it with a little decorum. Love Ian Poulter’s kit, classic Arnie, Bond in Goldfinger…etc. No joggers, hoodies or hip-hop sneaks for me. And for Christ sake, if you’re wearing long pants, tuck your shirt in! 

Having bought a few pairs of spikeless, for me, I feel like spikeless are a scam.  If the conditions (and your swing style) are suitable for spikeless, they're also suitable for regular sneakers.  I notice zero difference between the two.      

Driver: King Cobra 454 Comp 10.5° // 5 Wood: Macgregor MGX 20° // 2 hybrid: Lazrus 15° // 5 hybrid: Lazrus 24° // Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5 - GW // 52° Wedge Lazrus // 56° Wedge Ping Gorge // 60° Wedge Ping Gorge // Putter: Lazrus or Ping Zing 2i // Balls:  Maxfli Tour Yellow // Range Finder: Voweek

I’m in the majority here. I think your conditions will dictate your preference. I’ve played a few spikeless in the past, but I’m more of a spike player. 95% of my rounds are in a cart, so not much walking to do. Wet or dry conditions , spikes never let me down. I’ve been a FJ fan, since my high school days in the mid 90s. Have definitely tried other shoes, but typically end back up at FJ. As for comfort, the FJ Hyperflex are a very comfortable shoe! It’s their version of the “athletic “ style, but it is a spiked shoe. I tend to purchase online, but have ran across deals in stores, that I don’t pass up on. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

On 4/14/2023 at 7:01 PM, Mackey said:

Stay with the spikes.  The 270s are not that comfortable.

Been wearing them when practicing all weekend and love the way they feel can't wait to get them on the course.  O must just be odd as I do like the none slipping  I get with  all my other golf shoes. Not talking ground, I'm talking movement inside the shoes.

Alan Scalzi 

I prefer not to have shoes whose textured soles wear out while the uppers are still in good shape, so I prefer shows with replaceable spikes.  I currently have 3 pairs of FJ Traditions Wingtips.  The soles are lightweight and comfortable, I like the retro styling with a couple of small classy touches, they're guaranteed waterproof for a while.  I do have a few pairs of spikeless shoes, and they're good too, I just prefer the spiked variety.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Spikeless - mostly because I had foot surgery and there is always one clear that hits that spot and then they are uncomfortable and I limp by the end of 9 holes. Love the Ecco brand!

B

On 4/15/2023 at 10:16 AM, TOMMYOH said:

I’m a throwback guy… I love the saddle shoes, bucks and moc-toe shoes. The traditional stuff G/Fore is making really interests me and I’d love to know what people think of the traction aspect of their shoes.

Look, I’ll shoot a 95 regardless…but I’d prefer I do it with a little decorum. Love Ian Poulter’s kit, classic Arnie, Bond in Goldfinger…etc. No joggers, hoodies or hip-hop sneaks for me. And for Christ sake, if you’re wearing long pants, tuck your shirt in! 

Traction is great. Probably on par or better than any of my spiked shoes. Extremely well made and look as good in person as they do online. Worth the money compared to Footjoy.  I was really disappointed in the quality of the leather on the premiers. 

PXG Gen 4 driver, wood, and hybrid

PXG 0311T Gen 3 irons

Vokey SM8 wedges

Odyssey stroke lab putter

I just picked up some Puma Ignite Elevate spikeless shoes and they seemed to be every bit as grippy for me in dry conditions. Time will tell how they perform when it's wet, but they are extremely comfortable and served me well during my first round with them.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

The Nike Air Max 270 is a great option if you're looking for comfort in your golf shoes. While you haven't tried them on yet, many people find the Air Max cushioning to be incredibly comfortable and supportive throughout their entire round of golf.

In terms of traction, the Air Max 270 features a rubber outsole with strategically placed lugs that provide excellent grip and stability on various surfaces. Additionally, these shoes are designed with golf-specific elements like an integrated system of spikes to further enhance your footing on the course.

While $150 may seem like a steep price tag for golf shoes, keep in mind that investing in high-quality footwear can make all the difference in your game. Not only will you feel more comfortable and supported during play but having reliable traction can also improve your swing mechanics and overall performance.

Overall, if you prioritize comfort above all else when it comes to your golf shoes, then the Nike Air Max 270 is definitely worth considering. With its advanced cushioning technology and specialized traction design, this shoe has everything you need to enjoy a successful day on the green!

I have both spike and spike-less golf shoes. I have two pair of the Air Max 90 spike-less and during dry weather months they're great, but I also live on the coast of NC and the courses down here stay pretty damp so I also have Nike Lunars that I love along with Jordan XII spikes. The comfort of the 270's is really nice from a buddy who has a pair, but if you can, I would always have a paid of spike shoes just in case.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 Degree

TaylorMade Stealth 3-wood

Cobra King SpeedZone 5-wood

Nike Pro Combo 4-PW 

Callaway JAWS 50 & 54

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey 2-Ball DFX Mallet

I bought my first pair of dedicated golf shoes this past year from Amazon. I went spikeless for the versatility and comfort and as I rarely play very hilly courses and in wet conditions. The Foot Joy Flex XP has been great and when the course is a little damp and muddy it's a non issues being waterproof. I recommend them to anyone looking for a relatively cheap shoe that does the job and doesn't look terrible. I paid $55 shipped. 

Driver - Rogue ST Max LS

3W - Rogue ST MAX

Hybrid - Epic Flah + Big Bertha 19

Irons - Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metals

Wedges - Vokey 54, 58

Putter - Odessey O-Works V-Fang

Use to use spikes and went to non spikes. Good traction with them and you can walk inside misc stores and not have to worry about slipping. 
picked up some new Ecco brand a little pricey at 225.00 well worth it.  Also have a pair of plyaners sorry I’m spelling this wrong. Very comfortable and another pair that has great traction. Both pair are over two years old with about 200 rounds. Both still look good and feel good. 

Witb= Rogue max LS driver

3wood 5 wood and 7 wood all first gen stealth. 
22 degree pxg hybrid 25 degree pxg hybrid  

6-pw Srixon zx5 mkII irons  traded in pxg 0211 from 4 years ago  

50-54-58 edel wedges with moveable weights  

labgolf putter with upgraded shaft  

thats 15 clubs  needless to say not all come to the course with me  

I have a pair of Inesis spikeless and a pair of FootJoy with spikes... I do wear the spikeless ones 90% of the time. Only occasions where I use the spiked ones is when it's very wet yet not too muddy. It has a tiny bit more grip but it collects mud and grass faster and is harder to get back to a "clean sole" status on the course. So really... I just keep them as their rather comfy, and try to justify that by wearing them on some select occasions, but to be honest, a good pair of spikeless shoes works great in all conditions, doesn't collect debris as much, and I can drive home in them so I don't have to change shoes at the course.

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

Spikeless or spiked, why choose?  I like both, the conditions will determine which I wear.  I have the Adidas Codechaos and SG21's.  If I'm playing in the morning when it is dewy out or the course is wet I generally go for the spiked shoe.  If the conditions are dry I'll rock the spikeless.   I think as long as you find a shoe that is comfortable you you can't go wrong.  Play well my friends.

Driver: PXG Black Ops 10.5 (small +) HZRDUS Black Gen 4 6.0

5 Wood TM Stealth 2, 9 Wood TM Stealth 2 (both with MCA Kai'li Blue 70, S-flex) 

Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 (25 degree) MCA Diamana S-flex

Irons: Mizuno PXG 0317T SteelFiber i95 Private Reserve S Flex

Wedges: TaylorMade MG3 (50 degree), Mizuno T22 (55 and 59 degree) 

Putter: Bettinardi 2019 Studio Stock 2 MCA MMT Putter or Meridian Tybee

I love my CodeChaos shoes. Looking at getting a pair of the SG23s soon. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

4 hours ago, lisanclark said:

The Nike Air Max 270 is a great option if you're looking for comfort in your golf shoes. While you haven't tried them on yet, many people find the Air Max cushioning to be incredibly comfortable and supportive throughout their entire round of golf.

In terms of traction, the Air Max 270 features a rubber outsole with strategically placed lugs that provide excellent grip and stability on various surfaces. Additionally, these shoes are designed with golf-specific elements like an integrated system of spikes to further enhance your footing on the course.

While $150 may seem like a steep price tag for golf shoes, keep in mind that investing in high-quality footwear can make all the difference in your game. Not only will you feel more comfortable and supported during play but having reliable traction can also improve your swing mechanics and overall performance.

Overall, if you prioritize comfort above all else when it comes to your golf shoes, then the Nike Air Max 270 is definitely worth considering. With its advanced cushioning technology and specialized traction design, this shoe has everything you need to enjoy a successful day on the green!

Thanks, I did buy ( $120 all black as I like to keep my equipment looking clean and was afraid the white ones would be hard to keep clean!) them and love them played just one round in them, but wear them every day as I hit balls during drills I pick off of YouTube. 👍⛳

Alan Scalzi 

For comfort, my favorite are Ecco Biom H4 BOA, but when it's wet, I go to my Sqairz (6 spikes).

Titleist TSi2 with HZRDUS SMOKE RDX shaft, Titleist 917 16.5* FW, Mavrik Pro 20* & 23* HBs, Cobra King Tour (2020) 5-P with KBS $-Taper 120g shafts, King MIM 50*, Titleist SM8 54* and 58*, Odyssey #7 O-Works

Has anyone tried spikeless when it’s wet and had problems? I’ve never noticed any issues in the early morning when there is dew on the grass but I also don’t play in the rain since rain in Omaha typically means 2” in 30 minutes, lol. Not like the PNW rain I grew up playing in. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I’m a fan of spiked when it’s wet out. Especially with a higher swing speed it helps stay a little planted. But when dry, spineless… 

Stealth 8 deg (6*) x-stiff

Sim Max 5 wood

sim2 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP67 irons (old school 5-P)

cobra wedges 50/56/60

Callaway 64 deg 

TM Spyder putter