Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Gimme Putts

Question. Are gimme putts good for the game or are they bad for your golf game.
I’ve played with lots of players that love giving gimme putts because they want them returned in kind. 
I don’t like this, Ive upset players by saying, no sorry I’ll putt it out. 
My reasoning for this is when I really need to make a putt in say a tourney stroke play or a match play event then I can draw on the fact that I’m comfortable making them. 

For myself, gimme putts are in play to help speed up the game of golf.

What length do people feel is a gimme putt? 

Some say within the shaft and up to the bottom of the putter grip is a gimme, I say when it’s sitting on the edge of the cup. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

No gimmies longer than 6 inches.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

the groups I play with will give some putts, of which some maybe should have been putted out. If I or others are getting ready for a tourney everything will b putted out.

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

Our league does it at a foot, but it becomes more a judgement issue as you're playing.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

Our league does it depending on course.  Most tournaments there are no gimme putts, but on one particular course they allow it because of the pace of play issues there.  Personally I think they should be limited to "tap-ins", and not the one to two footers that are sometimes considered gimmes.  I also think there shouldn't be gimmes if putting for par or better.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

If it is a friendly round with friends, anything inside 2’ can be and is often given, although there is certainly gamesmanship at play when a 2 footer has to be “seen” 😁.

If there is any amount of money or  a wager at stake, then there are no gimmes and everything must be finished out.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I never give putts in a regular round, especially if money is on the line. I putt everything out, even a 4” tap-in. Match play is different, but still tough to do. (Usually leave it to my partner). The fact golfers take so many putts leads to slow play in tournaments when they have to putt out

Alterum Ictum Faciam

One of the best things that ever happened to me was playing in a league when I was stationed at a Navy base in Florida. Every Saturday morning we held a group outing, usually around 130 of us, playing a modified Stableford system. What was understood throughout the league was that there NO GIMME PUTTS! Every hole had to be holed out. And this was back in the day when the flag couldn't be in the hole. It was part of the best time in my golf life. Gimme is okay for friendly rounds, but if you're playing for something (even if it's almost nothing), I don't like it.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX 10.5

Takomo 101 Irons

all 4 Tokomo SkyForger wedges

How league allows gimmes on short puts which I have no problem with.

Stephen Wolf    Driver TaylorMade QI 10 Max 12.0 Mitsubishi Diamani S+ (Gen5) 60

3 Wood TaylorMade Qi10 Fairway HL Fujikura Speeder NX TCS

5 Wood TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fujikura Air Speeder NX 50 shaft

7Wood TaylorMade Stealth 2 Fujiura Air Speeder NX 50 shaft

9 Wood QI 10 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue shaft

Hybrid 5 TaylorMade Stealth Fujikura Air Speeder 50 Shaft

Qi Irons 6, 7, 8, 9 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Shafts

TaylorMade Milled grind 4 wedge 48 and 52 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue shafts

56- 60 Wedges TaylorMade Custom Milled Grind 4 Black Wedge Fujikura air speeder 50 shafts

Putter TaylorMade Spider EX Navy Single Bend

For me the giving of gimme putts depends on the situation and with whom I’m playing.  If I’m playing with my normal group for practice or fun, a gimme is okay.  Yet, if I’m playing a serious round, tournament, or for money the putt has to be really short for me to give or take a gimme.

Enjoying the game 

I like to putt it out! However, when you are on a busy not competitive course I have no problem with the gimme but also find I still sit and wait at the next hole to tee off.  Not sure what is accomplished with a gimme- unless your group is the cause for the slow down.

Could be because my putting is one of my best strengths too.

B

To anyone that advocates a gimme putt for the sake of speed of play, BULLSHIT! The few seconds it may take to line up a putt like that will not speed up play, even in a casual round on most any golf course. There are some professional players out there that can get pretty ridiculous, but for the most part, most players are reasonable. Those that aren't are only trying to piss you off.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX 10.5

Takomo 101 Irons

all 4 Tokomo SkyForger wedges

I think it just depends on the situation and who you are playing with. In the Tuesday scramble league I am in, we will give the other group gimme putts after the first few holes so we know what kind of putters they are. But anything outside 2 feet is putted out. When I’m playing casually with friends, I putt out even if they offer up a gimme because I’m working towards consistently scoring under 100 and hopefully breaking 90 this summer, and I want all the strokes to be meaningful. I’ve had buddies offer up gimmes that are questionable and I just putt it out. I’ll give them to friends within reason as well. It doesn’t matter too much to me as their score doesn’t impact me at all. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Everyone pays to play the way they want. Can't tell a person how to enjoy their hard earned money. It's another ball that may be out of your line of they take them!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Only 2 kinds of warships, Submarines and targets.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

My rule is that putts need to be holed, as long as there is money or league points on the line. All of the leagues that I play in specify that birdies (and the rare eagle opportunities) must be putted out, and it is up to the golfers whether they accept par gimmes or putt out.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

In our league play i usually putt everything out even if its been given unless its a tap in and i would be standing in somebodys line.

I will give putts early in the round and then make them putt out on the last few holes.  Some players tend to tighten up on a 2'er if its a tight match.  Its all part of the gamesmanship.  Pros do the same thing in ryder cup play.

No gimmees on Birdie putts though since the league tracks them and pays out for the most over the year.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I don’t play in a league or for money but I like putting everything out. I wanna hear the sound of holing out. If someone tells me “that’s good” I just putt anyway, never caused any tension that I can remember. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

The league I play in has some guys that don’t give anything and others that give (and take) 2-3 footers maybe more. I usually will give around a putter grip length so about a 1ft maybe a little longer if I like the guy. 

last year we were playing the last night of the year to determine the winner of the entire thing and me and my partner talked to the other team and said to avoid any issues let’s agree to putt everything out. Made a huge difference as some of the 1-2 footers were missed in our favor so we ended up winning the league

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

My .02 cents on this is that gimmie putts inside a foot are fine for casual play and will not skew final scores.  I also think it does help speed up play a bit and that's never a bad thing at most courses during peak seasons.  My Monday group and of course men's league putts everything out.  My Thursday and Saturday group uses gimmies and especially om some of the team games where the players putt/score cannot improve the team score.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

In our friendly group play - gimmes are always given, I'll take it but announce I want to hit a practice putt anyway. In our more formal league - no gimmes, you have to putt everything out. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I won't accept given putts. Period.

I will pick-up when ESC rules come-into-play & head to the next tee.

You golf as you please & I'll golf as I please.

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

37 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

I won't accept given putts. Period.

I will pick-up when ESC rules come-into-play & head to the next tee.

You golf as you please & I'll golf as I please.

Unless you are playing match play under the rules of golf.   If your opponent concedes the hole,  the hole is complete.   A concession, once offered, may be neither withdrawn nor declined.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Does skill level ever come into play when you are allowing gimmes?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I like to hole everything out. I get a little annoyed when after a long putt they decide if it’s a gimme. I always thought the standard length was the club grip, but with the newer grips and longer putters that’s not the case. I insist on holing out birdie and par putts.

I play with some people who don't mark their ball even when it's a couple feet from the hole and in my line. So I have no problem giving them the putt as much as I do them picking up the ball and sticking a tee in the ground to mark it and still blocking the line.

Callaway epic speed Callaway os iron talormade 3 hybrid cleveland rtx 3 wedges

On 5/27/2023 at 10:43 AM, MJ McNamara said:

Question. Are gimme putts good for the game or are they bad for your golf game.
I’ve played with lots of players that love giving gimme putts because they want them returned in kind. 
I don’t like this, Ive upset players by saying, no sorry I’ll putt it out. 
My reasoning for this is when I really need to make a putt in say a tourney stroke play or a match play event then I can draw on the fact that I’m comfortable making them. 

For myself, gimme putts are in play to help speed up the game of golf.

What length do people feel is a gimme putt? 

Some say within the shaft and up to the bottom of the putter grip is a gimme, I say when it’s sitting on the edge of the cup. 

I recently saw an Instagram post (from the USGA) concerning this that you should store in your memory banks somewhere. Once a putt is conceded, it cannot be taken back. It's in the rules of golf (Rule 23.3-c1 if I looked it up correctly). So, if your buddy concedes a putt, you can still putt the ball if you choose. Granted, the rule is meant for match play but given how loose most groups are with the rules anyway I don't see much difference here.

Now, if the problem is your playing partner just hits the ball back to you, you still have the right to return the ball to its spot and stroke a putt if it's that important to you or, simply tell them not to touch your ball.

I've never had an issue with anyone when I've told them I'd like to putt out.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Gimmes are necessary to keep friends.    personally, don't like them because there's no standard.    Is it   1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet or based on possible score...   Spreads into competition, which doesn't protect the field.    When you play with people that do gimmes, they usually don't follow the rules of golf in other areas.    If you were to relate it to another sport, such as basketball.   then missing a layup, should be rewarded with a point.   sounds dumb, but that's effectively what gimmes do to the great game of golf.  People see it in match play and then assume it applies to stroke play as well.