Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Running and golf

A few years ago I had a blood pressure scare. My doctor told me I needed to incorporate more endurance training to help lower it. It works, but takes time. 

How do y’all balance running and golf, which both take a good chunk of time in the week? It doesn’t help I’ve got one kid and another on the way!

Will

8 minutes ago, wjsryan said:

A few years ago I had a blood pressure scare. My doctor told me I needed to incorporate more endurance training to help lower it. It works, but takes time. 

How do y’all balance running and golf, which both take a good chunk of time in the week? It doesn’t help I’ve got one kid and another on the way!

Not sure what kind running you're talking about, or even if you're medicating the scare, and am not considering costs,  but would combining walking/carrying bag substitute for running.  I believe you might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

When I was a runner before the doc told me I needed to stop due to my knee, I'd run in the early evening. That let me spend time with the family at dinner then still be back by the time the kids were getting ready for bed. I also ran in the early morning a lot as well. 

Like any other activity or hobby, there's a balance. My kids went from babies to 22 & 17 in the blink of an eye. Don't miss out on stuff when they're young. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As a father of three, father and runner myself I find the need for that balance as well. I usually run at lunch or in the morning to try to keep it out of the way of the kid time. On days I golf I don't run. I am not sure how much you are running time wise but running for 30 to 40 minutes a day is generally considered enough. In a health research book I read recently they advocate 1:30 of light activity (walking) or 40 minutes of vigorous a day (running). It is a hard balance and I think the key is that not every day needs to be perfect. There will be days when everything goes wrong and exercise is just not gonna happen. Just try to get back to it tomorrow.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Like with any activity and hobbies it’s hard to find a balance to do everything. Something usually has to be sacrificed, whether it’s practice time, running time, extra sleep, family time.

Figure out the things that are important and schedule them to be done no matter what then fit everything else into the time left

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Surprised no one posted this:  https://www.speedgolfusa.com

combine running and golf and fix the pace of play! 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

IMO aerobic fitness is important for everyone, and especially those with any kind of cardio-vascular thing going on. I used to really enjoy running - when I was much much (MUCH) younger, and would go for distance and endurance runs, but eventually had to give it up as the knees and hips started complaining too much (at the time I was also skiing a lot .. and hard .. during the Winters).

Fast forward a few years and I made a big investment in a quality elliptical - which I still have today, and my wife also gets a lot of use out of it - so over the years it's been well worth it!! It's in the basement so it's always accessible and convenient, and while admittedly it may not give you that "runner's high" you get outside, you can get an excellent aerobic workout on it (plus you can watch golf on TV so talk about killing two birds 😝).

The other machine you can get a really great aerobic workout on is an "adaptive motion" trainer .. kind of a cross between an elliptical, a stepper and a treadmill so it's an excellent zero impact exercise. The downside, though, is these things are *pricey*...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Surprised no one posted this:  https://www.speedgolfusa.com

combine running and golf and fix the pace of play! 

I have actually tried this once. Played in about 1 hour for 18 and shot the same score with 6 clubs I usually did back then.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This doesn't mean much given i don't have a wife or kids, but i get up and hit the gym before work. If that's something you can swing, i highly recommend it.

I absolutely love knocking it out early in the day and having my afternoons free to do whatever - in your case could be playing golf or hanging with the family and kids or both

Lefty Gang

Cally Mavrik 10.5 - Rogue White 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed 5w at 16* - Motore F1 7x

Srixon ZU85 3i - Tensei Blue 80tx

Srixon Z785 4-PW - DG X100

Cally Jaws MD5 Raw 52*

MD3 56* & 60

Scotty Phantom X5.5

I’m probably going to be doing mornings. I wake up early naturally and it just works. I’ll also probably do the “no running on golf days” thing too. It just makes the most sense. 

I’m really looking into ordering a kidcaddie too. 

Will

15 hours ago, wjsryan said:

I’m probably going to be doing mornings. I wake up early naturally and it just works. I’ll also probably do the “no running on golf days” thing too. It just makes the most sense. 

I’m really looking into ordering a kidcaddie too. 

I'm a morning runner myself.

But the best way to handle balancing family time and golf is to get your kids interested in golf 🙂 . In all seriousness, it can't be forced. But if it happens, it's awesome.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Very true statement. I have a 2.5 year old who I am taking mini golfing next week for the first time and she is over the moon excited and started trying on all of my golf hats to see which one was best to play in. 

The other tip is playing with your in laws. My brother in law is my golf partner and the course we play is next to the grandparents house, so my wife views it as family time when I go golf with her family. 

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly

5 Wood: Callaway X

Irons: 4i-PW-Nike Covert VRS X

Wedges:

• Mizuno MP-T5 51 degree
  • WinningWedge SW 55 degree

Putter: White Taylormade Corza Ghost Mallet

I just walk and carry my bag fairly often. From a combo of that and medication, my BP is way down and my weight is down from 279 to 214.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

• 5 months later...

Balancing running and golf when you've got a busy schedule can be a challenge, especially with family commitments.One approach is to integrate some efficient cross jacks exercise into your daily routine. They're great for cardiovascular health and can be done in a short amount of time.You might consider incorporating quick Cross Jack sessions during breaks or before golf rounds. This way, you're still working on your endurance while leaving time for both your family and golf.Remember, consistency is key, and finding creative ways to fit exercise into your busy life can make a big difference in managing your blood pressure.

Edited by Klemmantin

• 2 weeks later...

During the week in season, with 1st tee time like to play golf running between shots, use 4 wheeled push cart.  Get funny looks but can be in the office by 9 AM.   Side benefit, is the running seems to keep one a little looser.            

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago