Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

How many of you keep a "Heavy" and "Lightweight" putter for different courses with huge green speed variables?

Jonesie

Okay, now that I have your attention, I'm asking if any of you keep differently weighted putters to use (same putter for a full round) at a course based on that course's green speeds.

So, a few of the courses I play have lightning-fast greens where I blow my putts with my heavy mallet Taylormade putter 12 feet past the hole and I end up three-putting myself into convulsions.  The next time I play, I might be at a cheaper Muni course that is fun but the greens roll at what seems like an 8. 

I play all over in the summer, and admittedly, I should be able to "adjust" accordingly, but lately, I just can't lighten it up enough.

I'm considering getting a lightweight putter to offset my preferred heavy mallet for the courses I play that have that marble countertop feel to them.

I plan to keep it in my trunk and make a decision of which putter to use for the round based on what course I'm at.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Titleist Tsi3/Ts2 woods and hybrids

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

Taylormade mallet or Odyssey White Hot center shaft putter. Depends on the day

I only switch putters when I want to use a different putter or want a different look. I have no issue using the same putter on fast or not so fast greens.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

One Putter by way of the LAB Mezz Max and given how it performs and feels there is zero reason for me to look, think, consider it even contemplate another regardless of green speeds. 

Flat out it just works!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have tried to use different putters, but it's all about site picture for me.

However, a guy in my league swears by 2 putters because the league he plays in the day before ours is MUCH faster greens and he says it helps his brain switch between them.

WITB: 12 Degree Paradym X Driver, 16 Degree TaylorMade Rescue, 3-W 710 AP1, 56 Vokey, Beached Newport SC Putter

2 hours ago, Jonesie said:

I'm considering getting a lightweight putter to offset my preferred heavy mallet for the courses I play that have that marble countertop feel to them.

As of April 23, you were in possession of two putters that seemingly covered the criteria referenced in this post. What’s stopping you from applying your heavy-slow/light-fast hypothesis?

Now that I have your attention, my advice is to provide as much detail as possible in the future, so that thoughtful Spies with the knowledge and inclination to help are in a better informed position to offer it. For instance, if your “heavy mallet Taylormade putter” is one of the many Tmag lines with adjustable sole weights, rather than suggesting you purchase a completely different putter for varying green speeds (and negotiating all the problematic feel/setup related variables that brings into the equation), someone might advise purchasing different weights and a wrench that would allow you to make subtle weight adjustments without changing any other setup aspects.

The best practice I can personally offer on the pace related subject is being deliberate about stroke length (ie - becoming familiar with how far a flat putt travels with a (6”, 12”, 18”) backswing on the surface speed with which you’re most accustomed) Then put that same system into practice on a faster/slower practice green and now you have a logical basis for adjusting to a faster/slower stimp day-to-day that is less reliant on feel.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I had same idea.  I putt cross handed and have 3 face balanced putters.  A heavy Scotty Futura X, circa 2015, a David Musty wood mallet, and a freebie, a K-mart Precise lightweight in style of a fang.   I learned basics of cross handed from Spieth in 2015, but it took years to figure out what to do with my front, left, hand.  My scores don't prove much, but I found out I putt similar style to Brian The Killer Harman, many congrats to him.  Although I look at the hole or line on putts longer than about 7 feet, and my follow through looks like a full swing.  I bring the club head almost shoulder high.

Now, weights:  makes sense to choose a heavier or lighter depending on the greens you face any given day. But I also finally found out earlier this year, the fat grips are way better than regular.  It stabilizes the hand.  Much less twist of the hand.  So for a while I used Scotty with a medium width grip, not a full fat one.  I put a Super Stroke Pistol 2.0 or 3.0 onto the cheap Kmart putter and love it.  But I like the heavier Scotty so I will either put a fat grip on it, or maybe also a hi-tech shaft, like the new Mamiya stable All-in or a new mallet with fat grip and hi-tech shaft. 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I’m currently using conventional grip but when I go switch over to cross handed I find a putter with full shaft offset neck and thicker round grips feels more comfortable for my eye alignment 

im using a goose neck with no offset and a thin pistol grip Thsy combo works for me with conventional reverse overlap grip 

Edited by Haro

Admittedly, I really struggle on slower greens. It used to be the other way around but over the years I’ve become most comfortable with green speeds around 11-12. My league course is probably closer to a 9 and I just can’t make myself swing hard enough when I have putts over 20 feet. Last week I started the round with 4 three putts. But to your question, using a heavier putter doesn’t really help because I subconsciously adjust my swing due to the weight. In the end, I just have to be mentally stronger when playing in different courses. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I read an interesting post from a putting instructor.   The intent of weight change seems to be to control weight so you are making the same stroke size and tempo no matter the green stimp.  If you look at the physics of this, it takes it takes about 300 grams of weight difference to adjust to 1 stimp/1 foot.   Based on some math with a 300 gram putter going 10 feet, a 400 gram putter would go 10.337’ .  To me does’t seem like an effective way to control distance. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I actually do switch putters for different green speeds. I have a Scotty Phantom 12 for slow greens and a Scotty Newport 2.5+ for fast greens...same lengths, same Super Stroke Traxion 2.0 grips...both work well.

Golf Gear Head

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I read an interesting post from a putting instructor.   The intent of weight change seems to be to control weight so you are making the same stroke size and tempo no matter the green stimp.  If you look at the physics of this, it takes it takes about 300 grams of weight difference to adjust to 1 stimp/1 foot.   Based on some math with a 300 gram putter going 10 feet, a 400 gram putter would go 10.337’ .  To me does’t seem like an effective way to control distance. 

I would respectfully add that in my humble opinion, golf  is as much feel and comfort level as it is science. 

12 minutes ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I would respectfully add that in my humble opinion, golf  is as much feel and comfort level as it is science. 

Yep, there is a feel aspect to golf and feel controls how you deliver the club at impact.   This is why everyone plays different clubs, has different characteristics for those clubs, and why it is strongly encouraged that you get fit for your equipment.  These feel things are done to match up with the properties of physics that can’t be overcome or changed.  Ultimately, do what you want to do, if 1000 people told you not to change putters but it feels right to you then just do it.  

IMO, switching putters due to green speed is kind of like switching clubs because it is windy.   If you have a putter that “feels” good and has been fit to your stroke the green speed shouldn’t matter; we make adjustments for uphill and downhill putts without changing our putter.   Practice and pre round feel calibration is how I’d recommend managing green speeds.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

47 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep, there is a feel aspect to golf and feel controls how you deliver the club at impact.   This is why everyone plays different clubs, has different characteristics for those clubs, and why it is strongly encouraged that you get fit for your equipment.  These feel things are done to match up with the properties of physics that can’t be overcome or changed.  Ultimately, do what you want to do, if 1000 people told you not to change putters but it feels right to you then just do it.  

IMO, switching putters due to green speed is kind of like switching clubs because it is windy.   If you have a putter that “feels” good and has been fit to your stroke the green speed shouldn’t matter; we make adjustments for uphill and downhill putts without changing our putter.   Practice and pre round feel calibration is how I’d recommend managing green speeds.   

I agree!  It has taken me about two winters of 200-250 putts a week, for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, to get to the point where it feels like I am making a consistent stroke with the putter I have had for 10 years! And feeling like I am finally putting better than before.   I can't imagine switching between putters  of differing weights course to course, but if you think it will help, give it a try.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I find better results with a heavier putter on fast greens, and conversely, a lighter putter on slower greens.  With that said I use the heavier GoLo Select with 25 gram weights most days.  I like the overall feel of the heavier putter.  You need a shorter stroke, hence less dispersion for me.  

3 hours ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I would respectfully add that golf is 80% feel and comfort, 10% science, and 10% superstition.  Yogi Berra would say 80, half, and half.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Let's petition the R&A and USGA to increase the 14 club rule to 15 by allowing 2 putters.  We have many clubs to deal with different course conditions, but we are basically stuck with only 1 putter despite wide variety of green speeds over 18 holes.

20 hours ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I play a Positive C-1 putter. Basically two putters in one. 

I looked into these a long time ago.  Essentially for fast putts you hit more towards the toe of the putter; slow putts in the middle.  Nice idea.  But my problem is reading the putt properly and keeping the putter square to the line.  My distance control in variety of conditions is pretty good.  Tried all kinds of green reading methods and all seem to not help in any noticeable way.

Driver:  Honma BeZeal 9.5 degree S flex

FW:  PXG 0211 3 Wood, Ping G 19 degree hybrid

Irons: Giga Golf Reva 3-PW stiff UST 70 gram shafts,  Mizuno t-7 52degree

SW:  Mizuno T22 55 degree

Putter:  Inazone Stand up

On 7/23/2023 at 6:51 PM, Dead Solid Bogey said:

I play a Positive C-1 putter. Basically two putters in one. 

Wow I also play a Positive putter but the blade style with the shaft in the heal.  You are the first person on here that I have seem playing a Positive putter.  

Like you I don't need another putter I can vary speeds just by where on the face I play the putt.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

7 minutes ago, Mackey said:

Wow I also play a Positive putter but the blade style with the shaft in the heal.  You are the first person on here that I have seem playing a Positive putter.  

Like you I don't need another putter I can vary speeds just by where on the face I play the putt.

I gotta be honest, I had never heard of one and had to go look it up!

I’m enjoying everyone’s input on the thread. Thanks!

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

2 hours ago, Jonesie said:

Well these  are extremely wonderfully strangely designed putters that will cost you nearly $40… that is almost all of my monthly husband allowance. 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:20 PM, Jonesie said:

Okay, now that I have your attention, I'm asking if any of you keep differently weighted putters to use (same putter for a full round) at a course based on that course's green speeds.

So, a few of the courses I play have lightning-fast greens where I blow my putts with my heavy mallet Taylormade putter 12 feet past the hole and I end up three-putting myself into convulsions.  The next time I play, I might be at a cheaper Muni course that is fun but the greens roll at what seems like an 8. 

I play all over in the summer, and admittedly, I should be able to "adjust" accordingly, but lately, I just can't lighten it up enough.

I plan to keep it in my trunk and make a decision of which putter to use for the round based on what course I'm at.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Can you replace the weights on the putter? Adding or removing 15g off of both the toe and heel can make a big difference 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

17 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Can you replace the weights on the putter? Adding or removing 15g off of both the toe and heel can make a big difference 

Yes that does seem to be an option. In this instance, I’d likely just take them off because the weights on them are only 2.5g each. 

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

10 minutes ago, Jonesie said:

Yes that does seem to be an option. In this instance, I’d likely just take them off because the weights on them are only 2.5g each. 

2.5g? I don't think I'd even notice that minor weight difference. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I honestly can't think of any reason to have two different putters with different weights.  My Ping was fitted for my stroke and I trust the feel of it.  I like a heavier putter and changing to a lighter putter affects my ability to make a straight putt.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, Jonesie said:

I met the creator at a golf show and got a custom fitting with him that day back in 1997 and I still love it today!

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

22 hours ago, Jonesie said:

I play a positive Putter P2.

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg