Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

JT and Bones

oldguy819

I think it's time JT found himself another caddy.  Bones MAY be an incredibly brilliant caddy BUT!.  Unlike Lefty, JT gets his head filled with too much information and forgets why he's on the golf course.  JT needs the distances, elevations, winds.  Which way the sun is shining. How much moisture is in the ground and what he did last year is too much useless information. Bones just over inundates JT with TOO DAMN MUCH to think about. Free your mind JT. Let your natural abilities work FOR you.  You can see when you address your ball.  Thinking too much.

Been golfing 63 years.  Consider myself better than average. Play 54 - 72 holes a week in season. 

Possible, however we have seen others go through these stretched and come out close to where they had been. 

Rickie, Spieth and Day all come to mind. I think it's more just the flow of a golfers career and there will be ups and downs.

I would think if JT feels he is getting too much he would say so. Maybe it's injury? Maybe it's life? Maybe it's coaching? Or maybe it is a million other little things all adding up. 

I just hope he has a bounce back and gets back to some more consistent play.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I don't think Bones is going anywhere, he's exactly the type of guy JT needs now on the bag.   If any big changes are coming...other than the putter switch this week, I honestly think it wouldn't be a bad idea for JT to get some outside help away from his dad.  His dad has seen him since he was a young kid, and while that would give him an edge in noticing something slightly off. It can also be a detriment that he has seen him so long, he thinks he's seeing the same thing and really something has changed that he hasn't pcked up on.   Maybe just an afternoon or two with a Claude Harmon or someone else, or maybe a fresh start altogether with a new full time coach.    As has been said before, players at this level didin't just forget how to play overnnight or even over a 3 month stretch, there is usually just a small adjustment needed to get back on track and as @GolfSpy_APH said above, it could be something away from the course as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I agree with @Golfspy_CG2 regarding his coaching.  I think his dad needs to bring it up himself rather than waiting for jt to start the awkward conversation.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Just now, Shapotomous said:

I agree with @Golfspy_CG2 regarding his coaching.  I think his dad needs to bring it up himself rather than waiting for jt to start the awkward conversation.  

Exactly, 100%

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've been thinking the same thing @oldguy819but I'm now of the opinion Bones isn't his issue and would be a loss over the long haul.  JT wasn't exactly running the fields when he hired Jim and, while many thought he'd be the change to move the needle (myself included), that hasn't happened.  As Rob and Jamie mention, there have been several players in recent years that went deep into the funk and many fans thought it was time for a new caddie.  Listening to JT's interview after The Open debacle, he pretty much described the issue to be principally the space between his ears.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I think non of us live their lives. The players mentioned above. Rickie for one has found something in family and playing well again. We don’t know what JT is dealing with outside of golf. If anyone is thinking these guys are a Tiger or a Jack, I believe they are wrong. One I don’t believe they have the desire and with social media and sponsorship money they don’t have the time or the drive. Just my opinion. 

I'm fairly certain that he's had lots of outside putting coaching the last five years, which has taken him from being a good putter to where he is today.

WITB

Ping G15 9*, Wilson F5 fairways and hybrids, Cobra forged one length 4-GW

Vokey 52* and 56* wedges, Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2 flatstick

Yeah when I think about Rickie and how he's been back to good form this year, I think it has more to do with the coaching change back to Butch Harmon and not necessarily the caddie change. But I'm sure they've both had an impact. I think a fresh set of coaching eyes could be helpful in JT's case.

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

Bottom line is that something needs to change for JT.   Whether it's coaching, Bones, or just getting away and resetting.   I think he'll have a little time to reset after this week, especially if he missed the top 70.   

Driver, Callaway Epic:

Fairway Wood, Callaway Epic Flash 

Hybrid, Callaway Apex

Irons, Callaway Apex Pro Irons 5 to UW S Flex:

Wedges, Callaway MD3, 54, 58. Callaway Forged 60

Putter, Odyssey O works, #1 Tank, counter balanced

On 7/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't think Bones is going anywhere, he's exactly the type of guy JT needs now on the bag.   If any big changes are coming...other than the putter switch this week, I honestly think it wouldn't be a bad idea for JT to get some outside help away from his dad.  His dad has seen him since he was a young kid, and while that would give him an edge in noticing something slightly off. It can also be a detriment that he has seen him so long, he thinks he's seeing the same thing and really something has changed that he hasn't pcked up on.   Maybe just an afternoon or two with a Claude Harmon or someone else, or maybe a fresh start altogether with a new full time coach.    As has been said before, players at this level didin't just forget how to play overnnight or even over a 3 month stretch, there is usually just a small adjustment needed to get back on track and as @GolfSpy_APH said above, it could be something away from the course as well. 

I hope JT makes the top 70 cut after this weekend.  He will bounce back and regain his winning form.  May be not this weekend, but definitely within 6-9 months.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

JT has played poorly for going on two years except a week at the PGA and luckily for him the leader stumbling over his own feet coming in and gifting him a win. But we are going to blame the caddy?? Hmmm.. 

JT has never been long or accurate off the tee. He is extremely good with a wedge. But if you are always in the gunch trying to fight out to the green that takes a toll and puts a lot of weight on your putter. Which, he is also not great at. 

Not a great mix. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Before everyone goes overboard about change of caddie and coach, try to remember that he did just get married this past year which is a heck of a change in life. Golf is a game of ebbs and flows and except for Tiger, there has been a slight downside to a golfer right after getting married. It is not like JT has played awful golf this year, just not up to the standards that everyone has been used to seeing.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

JT hand picked Bones.  He has had a lot go on in his life and I am hopeful he finds his groove again soon.  Just got brutally robbed on the 18.  I like JT...he is good for the game.

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 Fujikura Ventus TR Black 5x

:titelist-small: TSR2+ 14.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6s

:titelist-small: TSR2 18 degree Graphite Design Tour AD UB 6s

:titelist-small: T200 Utility Build 4iron Graphite Design Tour AD DI

:titelist-small: T100s 5-P Dynamic Gold TI X100 

:vokey-small: SM 9 50, 54, 58

:cameron-small: Super Select Golo 6

:titelist-small: ProV1X