Why/How Did You Start Playing Golf?

My last three years of high school we moved to a rural town about an hour south of where I grew up.  Our central school had about 1000 kids from kindergarten to 12th grade in the same building.   My graduating class was 51 students with about 15% of them going to vocational school.  Needless to say, at times it was tough to put together enough students to field teams and compete at high school sports.   

In the spring of my senior year, a friend asked if I wanted to join the golf team.  I had never even thought about playing.  His big sales point was that it would give me a legit reason to get out of school the last few periods of the day to practice!  One problem, I didn't have any clubs, a swing and never played a regulation course.  Not a recipe for success!  I had played a short par 3 course a couple of times, but never took that very seriously.  Another friend said he had a starter set of Wilson Sam Snead clubs and a bag he'd sell me for $10.  It had driver, three wood, odd irons, pitching wedge and putter.  Let's see...invest $10 and get out of school early every day for the spring of my senior year?  What should I do?  So, I joined the team!

Our "home" course was a nine-hole course that ran through and adjacent a mental hospital.  It wasn't tough enough with the hazards on the course.  We also had to deal with patients walking on to the course picking up your ball and trying to sell it back to you for $0.25.  We had to create a local rule that a player got a free drop is a patient "accidently" pick up your ball.   The mental facility has been converted to a prison.  Somehow, I can't see inmates climbing over the barbed wire and wanting only $0.25 for your golf ball. 

I picked up the game pretty quick and actually qualified for a couple of high school team matches that year.  One I remember playing over my head and having my coach ask if I really shot that good!  The following summer my two younger brothers and I would go play at a course about 6 miles from our house on Sunday afternoons.  Of the three of us, I was the only one who continued to play golf regularly as we got older.    

In the Fall, I went away to college and didn't pick up golf until I graduated (four colleges and six years later).  At work there was a bunch of guys my group that liked to play golf, so I picked it up again.  The same clubs, same grips and with a bag with broken zippers.   I ended up taking a sock, creating a little pouch and attached it to the bag to carry my golf balls.  Even with this old beat-up starter set, I got to the point where I was competitive with my work peers.  It was another 3-4 years before I updated my starter set and bag and took it a bit more serious.

The rest is history!   

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have posted this somewhere before but here goes. I was working for a company that had a golf league. If you played in the league you got to leave work at lunch time on Wednesday. If you didn't you had to stay and work and also cover for the guys who left to play. After a couple months of 12-hour workdays on Wednesday I decided, I was going to learn to play golf and be ready for the next golf season. Then I went out and purchased a new set of King Cobra ll's, and signed up for some group lessons. Come the next spring at the age of 30 I was on the league roster and never looked back. Thirty-four years later I'm still at it playing twice a week. Fortunately, the two companies I worked for after that had a golf league. Over the last 10 years I have really worked on my game and my current company of 15 years sends me to represent them in lots of customer outings. For some reason they encourage me to take customers golfing to generate business and build relationships. I will say it works, and it is a great perk. I'm no tour pro but sometimes it feels that way. With someone paying you to travel around the country to wine, dine, and play golf what can be better than that. I'll keep the retirement thoughts on the back burner for a while. 

I encourage everyone to put their location on the community map. You never know when I'll be in the neighborhood. I've already played with a few spies by looking on the map and then sending them a message.   Go up to the top bar, pick Members. From the drop-down box select Community Map then put your location in.

I know when I have tried to add location for the map it hasn't let me add. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I don't recall everything about how I started playing golf.  Some of the things I remember:

70s - some of the neighborhood kids got some clubs and we hit balls in the cemetery at the edge of our neighborhood.   My grandmother and great aunt started playing and I decided I'd give it a try.  

80s - stopped late in high school and played a few times in college

90s - started playing again with my father-in-law until he couldn't play anymore.  Kept playing the occasional after work rounds at a local inexpensive course.

2000s - this is when I started seriously getting into golf.  Was invited to join a group of about 30 golfers that played every Sunday and although the group has dwindled for many reasons I still play every Sunday. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I know when I have tried to add location for the map it hasn't let me add. 

@GolfSpy_APHI've seen that there is a workaround to getting locations published but don't know what it is.  Do you have the instructions posted somewhere?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

@GolfSpy_APHI've seen that there is a workaround to getting locations published but don't know what it is.  Do you have the instructions posted somewhere?

@Josh Parker the search function doesn't work. If you drop a pin by going to the area double clicking or going to a marker it should work! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

@Josh Parker the search function doesn't work. If you drop a pin by going to the area double clicking or going to a marker it should work! 

Got it.  Thank you!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I started playing in 1975, I was working in a steel mill in Ohio and 4 of the guys on my shift played golf and they asked me if I played, I told them the only time I ever swung a club was at this place that had a driving range and batting cages. So I morning after working 11to 7 we went and I used a spare set that one of the guys had that I ended up buying from him. Dunlop max power blades with persimmon woods, totally wrong for a beginner. It would be several years later that a friend of mine who built clubs told me that those clubs were not right for me and so I had him make me a set of snake eyes and that's when I started playing better. I didn't know about shaft flex and that I needed longer clubs and the lie angle had to be different I knew nothing about that. 48 years later and I am still trying to figure out this crazy game and loving every minute of it. 

Frank musolino 

1985. I worked in a restaurant that had started a Superbowl scramble. My buddies and I bought 2 sets of clubs and shared them for the round. It was so much fun. Of course, alcohol and other things were involved, but we had an amazing day.  The restaurant has been closed for many years, but we still have the scramble every year just to get together and stay in touch. I now set up and run the scramble.  Good times! 

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

I started playing in 2018 with a buddy. He got into and said I needed to because he knew I was way to competitive to be sitting at home after a serious knee and hand injuries left me from being able to play basketball. I took him up on a round, played like crap, but saw the fascination with it. I caught the bug, played over Covid but never took it serious, just went out and played to drink beer and hang out with friends. This year I started taking it serious because I dont like loosing, I guess you could say I caught the bug for a second time more serious this time. I know love the game, and get upset with my mental game. That’s the part I need to get better, if I want to be better. But I love this sport because it’s me vrs me. Nothing else!

Samuel Hanvey 

As a kid our cousin lived next door and bought a set of clubs and had some plastic waffle golf balls , he showed me how to swing and told me to hit those balls whenever I wanted so I did some . My other cousin played a lot and invited me to play in 1969 so I did and wow it was a pretty terrible event . I caught the bug later that year , bought a set of busted up set of old clubs for $2 that were wooden shafted ( steel down the center ) and started playing then . I bought a used set the next year and started playing more . They opened a new 9 hole course that was desperate for members and they offered to let me pay my yearly dues monthly ( $120 yearly) and I became a junkie while still playing every other sport !

So I often tell this cousin he’s cost me a bunch of money over the last 54 years 😂😂😂

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

1 hour ago, Big moose said:

I started playing in 1975, I was working in a steel mill in Ohio and 4 of the guys on my shift played golf and they asked me if I played, I told them the only time I ever swung a club was at this place that had a driving range and batting cages. So I morning after working 11to 7 we went and I used a spare set that one of the guys had that I ended up buying from him. Dunlop max power blades with persimmon woods, totally wrong for a beginner. It would be several years later that a friend of mine who built clubs told me that those clubs were not right for me and so I had him make me a set of snake eyes and that's when I started playing better. I didn't know about shaft flex and that I needed longer clubs and the lie angle had to be different I knew nothing about that. 48 years later and I am still trying to figure out this crazy game and loving every minute of it. 

Snake eyes, good clubs, I didn't have a set but saw many set's around good players.

committed to performance excellence

In 1959, the City of Frankfort, Kentucky opened a new park called Juniper Hills,  located just west of the city.  Juniper Hills included a Par 72, 18 Hole rolling terrain golf course and an Olympic size swimming pool.  My Grandfather and his buddies joined the club and began playing every week.  I was only 8 yrs old, but my Grandfather decided I was old enough to be his caddy.  So I began my golfing career pulling a Bagboy pull-cart filled with Powerbilt golf clubs up and down the rolling terrain of Juniper Hills.  As a caddy, I learned the rules of golf and how the game was played.  My first set of clubs were a hodgepodge set of old hickory shafted clubs, leftovers from my Grandfather’s old clubs.  Ones that he took to Africa when he was building a sawmill to harvest mahogany wood for office furniture in 1948-49.  He was a Civil Engineer.  They carved out some land in the jungles of the Gold Coast(now Ghana) for a 9 hole course and played it for their recreation. Sadly, today I only have the putter left, so it hangs on the wall above my desk at home.  I progressed from the hickory sticks to used Powerbilts that were my Grandfather’s.  At age 10, I got my first set of cleats(steel spikes of course).  I felt like I was king of the world when I walked around the clubhouse area going clickety-clack, clickety-clack.  I spent my summers at Juniper Hills, just a mile from my home, caddying in the mornings then either hawking lost balls, putting for pennies or playing in the hot Summer afternoons.  I witnessed a Hole in one at age 13 when one of my friends aced the 140 yard Par 3 #6.  For my High School Graduation, my Grandfather gave me a new set of Powerbilt irons. I got my Ace in August, 1985 at Pine Ridge Country Club in Winnfield, LA.  When I moved to Florida in 1987, I was a 10 Handicap, gaming Nicklaus Muirfield irons.  Unfortunately, I was either working, or playing with my 4yr old daughter so I did not get much time to retain my handicap and watched it slip to an 18.  Fast forward through the years to now, I have been playing with a 6” steel plate, 13 screws & an inch of my left hip bone in my left wrist (ice skating accident in 1998).  The inch of my left hip was to make both arms the same length again.  Because of the injury, my handicap ballooned to the mid 20’s for several years, so I moved to graphite irons to reduce as much vibration as possible.  I was able to get my handicap back down to 13 for a few months in 2011, but that did not last.  For the past dozen years, I have been bouncing between 17 and 22.  I also have two Ligaments damaged in my Left Ankle(too many ankle sprains).  The Dr’s offered surgery but I declined because I was not ready to stay off of it for 4 months. I wear an ankle brace occasionally but try to play without it. I am an Accountant(Ky State Univ. 1977) that retired in Jan 2017 and now play weekdays(Mon/Wed/Fri) with a group of old farts, aged 65-84 at Heritage Isles in Tampa, FL.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Started in 1966 with 2 of my brothers, when we took lessons and learned the game through a program sponsored by the city of Detroit.

We were able to ride our bikes to a city course, have a lesson once a week, and play a round there as time permitted.

In the mid to late 70's my Dad joined a small golf club, and we again were able to play as often as we wanted, and also had a few lessons from the pro there.

Life changes in the 70's through mid 90's still allowed me opportunities to play, just not as often as in the past.

Had a weekly Friday evening afterwork round with some co-workers, and then played in a Saturday morning "sunrise" league where we had 40 players, going off the first tee at sunrise.

Did that through 2010 when more changes to both that league folding, and work facility location changing back into the heart of the downtown area, made playing time less likely during the week, and limited to weekends if available only.

In 2021 I was playing as much as possible on the weekends, when I met the current people that now comprise our foursome.

We play weekly, at least once per week, and I live within walking distance of a course that I can go and utilize the practice green, bunkers, and range as long as the course if open, and daylight hours are available.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

I started playing golf back in the 80's as a way to take the pressure off of being in the Infantry (101st Airborne Div). I was also a competitive bowler. I would later go on to join the PBA Tour in the mid-90's. Golf has always been an outlet for me. My first set of clubs was a Jack Nicklaus signature set of irons. McGregor, I think. My woods were persimmon. Man, the time on the course really allowed me to clear my head. It was almost a spiritual experience. It still is, in fact. I never lose that feeling no matter how I shoot. it is always about the camaraderie, the communing with nature, the vistas, etc. that make the game special.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

I don’t recall the exact date but I was around 10 years old and smacked balls around with my grandpa’s clubs. I was pretty good pretty quick so he bought  me a beginner set for my birthday and I never looked back. We even built a make shift driving range on his property (he owned a couple hundred acres of forested land) by cutting down a bunch of trees to open up a landing area about 200 yards away. Wasn’t long before my driver went too far and carried into the forest behind. Still one of my greatest childhood memories is going to the driving range. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I think I posted this at some point as well however always fun to revisit how I started golfing.

Basically not an option for me, both my mom and dad golfed, since the were both 40 when I was born and pretty much established in business and community one of their social activities was golf. 

I was born in 1958 and that was the year the 9 hole golf course was planned to be built and my dad was one of 3 men that designed the course, he was a dentist by trade but an avid sportsman, curler, golfer, etc. from the Canadian Prairies. Anyway the course was built by late 1960 early 1961 and I was tagging along at age 2... hit a few balls, then go to the club house for treats while my mom and dad finished their round. 

Had some success early and enjoyed the feedback from members and got hooked, the rest is a wonderful adventure. 

committed to performance excellence

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

When I double click on the map, it zooms in. Am I doing it wrong?

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

In high school, I hurt my shoulder in football two-a-days.  The doctor said I could still move the shoulder fine, I just couldn’t take any impact. Golf tryouts were the next week and my cousin told me to tryout since I wasn’t able to play football most of that year. I tried out and made the last man on the team by 2 strokes over 54 holes. I fell in love with it and golf a ton in high school. 
After high school I just never went. Mostly due to financial constraints of a college kid, but I also forgot how fun it was. 
Then COVID hit and golf was the only SWMBO approved way I could see my friends. So I went out a few times and was terrible, but the grind and getting better and the time spent with friend has kept me coming back as much as possible!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

12 minutes ago, Preeway said:

When I double click on the map, it zooms in. Am I doing it wrong?

Up top go to "create" and select "Community Map Marker" select Member and drop the pin for your location. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Up top go to "create" and select "Community Map Marker" select Member and drop the pin for your location. 

I fumbled my way through it and figured it out. Thanks!

I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s stories!

I just happened to move very close to a golf course but was not a golfer so thought nothing of it. Fast forward a couple months to May of 2022 my buddies and I were going to Moab for mountain biking. I live in Denver just off of I70 so my house was the natural meeting spot. 2 of my friends on the trip are golfers and saw the course and started talking about playing. Over the course of Moab trip they were able to convince me to play a round when we got back.

2 days later I was on the course with some clubs belonging to my friend’s wife. I played terrible for the most part but hit a couple good drives and even found the green on a short par 3, overall I enjoyed it more than I had expected. I told my wife about it and to my surprise she was very excited that I had a good time. Her dad is a huge golfer and has been playing for 40+ years so she used to go to the range with him as a kid.  She had always wanted to get into golfing but didn’t really have anyone to golf with as he lives about an hour and a half away. So we went out the next day to a play it again and each got a set of clubs for a grand total of 200 dollars. We took a lesson and started practicing and playing a few times a month for most of last summer. I got completely hooked. I am admittedly a bit of a nut and pretty intense with my hobbies. This past summer I took it very seriously and practiced at the range a couple times a week. And I think I played a round nearly every week from May to September. 

I've now replaced every club in my original bag and my handicap has dropped dramatically. I’m tall and can swing it fast so learning about the importance of fitting your clubs to your swing was an eye opener. Most of what’s in my bag was based off of MGS reviews and recommendations. I owe a lot of my knowledge and improvement to MGS. I even had the pleasure to be a tester this summer for the Zebra AIT3 putter. It was a lot of fun to do! 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter