Golf bags- stand or cart, and why?

Rob Person

I have both. It depends on where I am playing and how long the course is, which relates to whether I am walking or riding in a cart. That said, I prefer the cart bag simply because it’s bigger with more storage.

Chris Uggiano

Disney, Golf and Steelers

TM STEALTH Driver and 3 wood

TM M4 5 wood

TM M2 H4 and H5
TM Stealth 6i -AW

TM Hi Toe 54 and 60 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X putter

I have a Big Max hybrid bag mainly for over winter as sometimes I can only walk, no carts or trolleys, but as the name suggests it can go on my push trolley if conditions allow. Great bag and good for the range as well. My main bag is a big Mizuno cart bag I use on my Clicgear most of the year simply because I can put more stuff in it than I need, plus it sits well on the push cart. 
Never ride as I like to walk/push. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Even though I use a cart now, I have both. A Titleist 14 way cart along with a Titleist 14 way hybrid, which I use for my golf trips.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

Went with a Taylor made hybrid bag with 14 club slots,plenty of storage,easy to fit in car with trolley and leave room for luggage when going away.

Found it works well as stand/carrying or on a trolley,would be nice to have a big cart bag but would be a luxury rather than practical for UK weather.

Currently a Pins & Aces stand, it’s just easier to move than the big old cart bag.  
I won a Bag Boy cart bag and push cart that I’ll try and switch out to but in the interim walking to the range and into my lessons the stand bag makes the most sense.

Cobra Aerojet
Ping G425 2 Hybrid
Taylormade SIM Max irons and Hi-TOE wedges

Odyssey Triple Track TenS

When I would walk as well as ride, I had an Ogio Hybrid bag, I loved it. Then I bought a cart, had a Sun Mountain c130, that was great, now I have a Ping DLX and that is ever better. However, I would never walk with the DLX unless it was on a cart. There is a reason the Pro's don't lug their own bags. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 3W: TSR3, 5w Callaway BBti, Ping g430 Hybrid, Irons Ping i230, Taylormade MG 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball Titleist Pro v1x

I use an MGI electric trolley.  Stand Bags don't fit well, as the legs get in the way, so I use a cart bag with the trolley.  When I travel, I switch to a stand bag because they are smaller and lighter.  If I am going someplace where I will use a caddie, I always bring a light stand bag, as the caddies will not carry a big cart bag or pro style bag, and they will transfer your sticks to a lightweight bag.

WBS

I have both to be honest. In the UK we use buggies less than other side of the pond, but more use on electric trolley etc… 

If only playing few holes, or heavy conditions in winter then tend to carry, tournaments will use trolley as carry more stuff… 

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

I never carry or use a push cart. I'm always riding. Some places I play don't even allow walking. So, I obviously have a cart bag, and it's full of stuff. Like, too full😂 Weighs a ton. One side has an umbrella, extra socks, and full rain gear even if it's not going to rain. The other side pocket carries half a dozen new gloves, bag of protein bars, box of new balls, and a small mesh bag with 25 or so range balls. The magnetic pouch on the front carries 12-15 balls. Zipper pouch is full of 3.25" Professional Tee Systems tees. Left small side pocket contains a pouch full of divot tools and ball markers. Right small side pocket is my valuables pouch. Bottom of the bag is a cooler with an ice pack and 2 bottles of Powerade. Last bottom pouch is a catch all for junk. Foot spray, range tees, club wrenches, phone holder that attaches to an alignment stick, etc. It's a PING Pioneer and has been an excellent bag!! I do like having a stand for the parking lot and range, so I installed an after market stand assembly I got off eBay. Works great!! 

I use a cart bag for the main reason I have an MGI Zip Navigator. The heaviness of the bag  stabilizes the cart. I tried lighter bags but this works.  

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

10 minutes ago, Shannon Severson said:

When I would walk as well as ride, I had an Ogio Hybrid bag, I loved it. Then I bought a cart, had a Sun Mountain c130, that was great, now I have a Ping DLX and that is ever better. However, I would never walk with the DLX unless it was on a cart. There is a reason the Pro's don't lug their own bags. 

I've had my Ping Pioneer for 5 years or so, and I love it. Thinking of jumping up to the DLX this year. My Pioneer is getting too full!!😂

I switched to a stand bag over 20 years ago and now have a Sun Mtn with a 14 way top.  They work well when I walk, use a push cart or ride.  Can’t best the weight distribution of their shoulder strap system and the 14 way top with full length dividers works well to protect the shafts.  

Definitely cart.  I cart bag< they are huge and can carry a lot of things. (A 22cal. for when in the woods and want to do some hunting while looking for a ball. A fishing rod when by the lake for looking for the ball again.) just had both and now retire and golfing everyday. The cart bag lets me carry more out on the course for the day 

Billy Mike 

Cart bag for me. My current bag is a Taylormade Cart Lite. While I walk the course 90% of the time, I use a push cart (Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1R) I don’t carry my bag.  As to why- I simply don’t like carrying it, I get horrible pain in my shoulders from every carry bag I’ve ever tried- to be fair, I’m 6’6” and broad-shouldered…not exactly the body shape this carry bags are designed for.

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

Just got a vessel on FB marketplace for the individual slots. I push my clubs most of the time so I think the cart bag will be nice with the clic gear! Have always been a stand bag guy though. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

12 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Just got this email, and here is another one with the MGS tag!

Sunday golf have not released it as its pre- order only right now...but it looks to be a full size cart bag!

Screenshot_20240328_174453_Gmail.jpg.73d2b6d850f8190bc09ada0c25cd969e.jpg

Got the same email….back to the topic at hand…

As I both ride and push cart, I keep several bags around:  Callaway 14 hole cart bag from Dick’s (into its 3rd year); Callaway 6 slot stand (bought 2nd hand from a local golfer) - super light weight, a little worse for wear; Knight 7 slot - really does well, legs can get wonky; very vintage 3 slot all leather Sports Network bag, single strap, 2 pockets…IMG_7576.jpeg.2a4148222c27af53adbea43167de79de.jpeg

IMG_7577.jpeg.a910aa6f0cccfb83a864173fb49409eb.jpeg

several others including a canvas style bag that has my high school’s logo on it….plans are to clean it up, play it maybe with the persimmons and blades (throwback to my high school years - mid-70’s EDIT TO ADD: no I didn’t play then, but sure wish I had…ah the memories I would have!) 

Edited by Willie T
Info added

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Hmmm.... interesting, owning one bag or the other. 

I choose both! 🙂 And a smaller Sunday stand bag for the Executive course behind the house. They aren't that much and why limit yourself? They don't cost that much unless you go to something like Vessel. And if you're going Vessel then you aren't playing a muny like me. 🙂 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I use a Callaway Org14 cart bag because it is heavy enough to stabilize my Alphard V2 trolley, and it works when I'm riding. I use a Titlest stand bag when traveling because it takes less room in the car. I use a Cobra Ultralite Sunday bag when I'm heading out with a few wedges and a putter to practice. 

Golf is my full-time retirement job.

I use a stand bag as I carry most of the time.  When I used a push cart I did have a cart bag because I did not care about weight and I stored everything in the bag in lieu of separately from the bag.  I am looking at adding a trunk storage unit for my shoe and other items to keep my bag light.

I try to play 1x / week but the PA weather usually has something to say about that.

I have both a Sunday Ryder bag (my lightweight stand bag) that I use when walking and a cart bag. I always walk and carry on the par 3 courses with my kids and use the cart bag with my BagBoy Nitron or when I ride in a cart. Now that I have a Ghost bag, that will be my cart bag and I just might try it as a carry bag and see how it goes. It’s a bit heavier than my Sunday bag but I’m gonna love all the features. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I walk with a push cart for EVERY round I play.  I use a Titleist Cart 14 golf bag that I purchased last year. It's a midsize-ish cart bag with enough room for all of my essentials, but also light enough that I can easily move it from trunk to house to range to wherever if I don't want to use my cart.  I had a stand bag up until last year. The main reason I changed it out was because my push cart didn't like the stand and it often wouldn't allow the bag to seat itself all the way down on the bottom of the cart.  I would sometimes have to adjust the bag 3, 4, 5, or more times per round and it got very annoying.  My cart bag sits perfectly and never moves out of position during my round! 

I have other bags, but I use a very nice vintage stand bag branded "TOP-FLITE" in the cart because: I like vintage stuff; it's slimmer and my cart partners' HUGE golf bags crowd me out otherwise; and it's black and red and I'm a Texas Tech alum. So it all makes sense to me. Best, Marv

I've always been a stand guy as I've walked most of my life...as I get older (and have joint problems), I've started to use either a push cart or ride. This past black Friday I bought the Titleist Hybrid 5 stand bag that was designed to be push/ride cart friendly with a couple of their designs but is still super comfortable to carry. 5 way divider is perfect for me and the pockets have plenty of room.

image.png.9b116908d6925c14cb408869d730f8a6.png

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Tour 65 Stiff Shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

image.png

Easy, I have both. I ride predominantly, but I also have a push cart. Cart bag has more room and storage than my stand bag. But when I go to the range, I definitely prefer the stand bag.  Then I got a killer deal on a Vessel stand bag, so I had to buy it.  My current bag complete with MGS VCT tour bag card  

image.jpeg.25f7dda950ab9ee23d137d255eb92c4a.jpeg

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

I have both. Living in northern Wyoming it can be cooler or blisteringly hot. I have a stand bag for cooler days when I feel like walking and a cart back for hot days that I feel like riding.

-Remember: Course Management.

I switched to a cart bag after years of using staff bags. I play daily and always walk and use a push cart . I like the larger size they provide as I tend to pack a lot of stuff. There are typically a sweater, rain jacket, bag cover, too many golf balls, etc. 

Master club builder and golf instructor