Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Underrated Golfing Countries

We all know Scotland, Australia and some of the other go to golfing countries, but what are some you have been to or want to go to that may not come to mind at first glance?

Whether it's great pricing, amazing courses or whatever else, let's hear about them?

I found one which I am seriously thinking about mainly due to a change on work and some additional vacation time... However I will wait for a few responses to see if it comes up!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

After the last Tourist Sauce, I’d vote for Scandinavia, particularly Sweden. That combined with the recent introduction of Scandinavian players (Viktor, Aberg, Hojgaard twins amongst others) has me thinking a trip there soon could be in the cards…

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

We all know Scotland, Australia and some of the other go to golfing countries, but what are some you have been to or want to go to that may not come to mind at first glance?

Whether it's great pricing, amazing courses or whatever else, let's hear about them?

I found one which I am seriously thinking about mainly due to a change on work and some additional vacation time... However I will wait for a few responses to see if it comes up!

I am going to be visiting Mexico this summer to see family for a little over a month during my summer break from school and I am very excited to be taking golf there with me. I am going to be staying in Puebla, Mexico and thus far I have only read on a few courses in the city (I don't want to overbook my time there.) Though, I believe there are over 200 in the country and I hope to travel a little while there as well. From all accounts, Mexico has really gotten its act together since my last visit 20 years ago and I am excited to check out the courses (and see my family too, I suppose.)

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

3 hours ago, Leonvdwesthuizen said:

I am a proud South African, and yes we are a little country at the bottom of Africa, but I cannot recommend our country's golf courses enough!

South Africa have over 450 golf courses available to play over the country, of which there are currently 3 x courses in the top 100 in the world.

You pay between $26 - $52  to play (at the top 10 courses you might have to pay more or be a hotel guest), but the experience is amazing and worth every penny, because other currencies are so strong against our South African Rand.

Brilliantly designed (often Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player or Ernie Els designed), GPS based carts included, manicured fairways and roughs you feel too bad hitting from, as it is so beautiful.

Bunkers with the whitest, fluffiest sand and unblemished greens, all of which will blow your mind..

I have included some of the courses I have personally played and a course or 2 I still want to play (aspirations).

But make South Africa part of your golfing bucket lists.. you won't be disappointed!

(Apologies for the photo dump.. I couldn't help myself)

Fancourt 1 - South Africa.webp

Fancourt 2 - South Africa.webp

Fancourt 3 - South Africa.webp

Leopard Creek 2 - South Africa.jpg

Pearl Valley 1 - South Africa.jpg

Pearl Valley 2 - South Africa.jpg

Pinnacle Point 1 - South Africa.jpeg

I'll be on the next plane to come visit!

Türkei is the country I have been looking at recently. It's not that far from me and has some stellar courses at good rates with accommodation and a spa for my wife.

I'll find a few photos of some of the courses soon. However they also have night golf which is a life goal.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Not sure if its underrated but you cant go wrong with Spain, all across the south of Spain you are spoilt for choice, loads of great courses, decent value. Food and drink is also reasonable, loads of companies who will arrange everything for you, including transport, and the weather is normally very good as well. 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

I also wanted to put Austria on the list! May need to be a mountain goat to play some of the courses but still fun!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Ads for Turkey keep coming up and even my wife keeps sending me packages for them.

A lot of Faldo courses there.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Ads for Turkey keep coming up and even my wife keeps sending me packages for them.

Omw @GolfSpy_APH.. then it must be a sign! If your wife sends you their packages.. "MAKE THAT BOOKING!"😆

Turkey is a lovely country, was there for my honeymoon and the food was just amazing, didn't get time to explore outside of Istanbul, but their climate was very similar to South Africa.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.. Remember to take photos... of the golf courses of course!

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - SW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore  52deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

for some reason I think Golf Channel televised a tournament from there a few years back, it was gorgeous if I remember correctly...

committed to performance excellence

Putting some 40 odd hours of Sim time this offseason so far, New Zealand has some crazy courses. As does Japan and Korea. I would also suggest Mexico as I’m down here seeing them first hand, and honestly Canada. I don’t think it gets recognition outside of Ontario for the RBC Canadian which also gets overshadowed each year by some other goofy golf news.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

8 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

Putting some 40 odd hours of Sim time this offseason so far, New Zealand has some crazy courses. As does Japan and Korea. I would also suggest Mexico as I’m down here seeing them first hand, and honestly Canada. I don’t think it gets recognition outside of Ontario for the RBC Canadian which also gets overshadowed each year by some other goofy golf news.

I'm very excited for the Mexico trip! What region have you been golfing in? 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

On 1/29/2024 at 2:53 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I am intrigued with Portugal, in particular the Algarve, it is supposed to be a golf mecca...

committed to performance excellence

On 1/29/2024 at 7:21 AM, Leonvdwesthuizen said:

I am a proud South African, and yes we are a little country at the bottom of Africa, but I cannot recommend our country's golf courses enough!

South Africa have over 450 golf courses available to play over the country, of which there are currently 3 x courses in the top 100 in the world.

You pay between $26 - $52  to play (at the top 10 courses you might have to pay more or be a hotel guest), but the experience is amazing and worth every penny, because other currencies are so strong against our South African Rand.

Brilliantly designed (often Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player or Ernie Els designed), GPS based carts included, manicured fairways and roughs you feel too bad hitting from, as it is so beautiful.

Bunkers with the whitest, fluffiest sand and unblemished greens, all of which will blow your mind..

I have included some of the courses I have personally played and a course or 2 I still want to play (aspirations).

But make South Africa part of your golfing bucket lists.. you won't be disappointed!

(Apologies for the photo dump.. I couldn't help myself)

Fancourt 1 - South Africa.webp

Fancourt 2 - South Africa.webp

Fancourt 3 - South Africa.webp

Leopard Creek 2 - South Africa.jpg

Pearl Valley 1 - South Africa.jpg

Pearl Valley 2 - South Africa.jpg

Pinnacle Point 1 - South Africa.jpeg

TOTAL dream trip to visit your homeland. Golf, wildlife, the oceans; it’s been on my bucket list for a LONG time. Maybe in the next ten years I can get it done before I’m too old to play, hike, safari & enjoy all that’s there. Thanks for sharing!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

What an intriguing and thought provoking question. Had to think about this for a bit.  Underrated for me, means a little off the beaten path or difficult to get to or perhaps not as well known, but high quality, visually stunning or challenging or both. Having said that here are my choices. 

New Zealand - visually stunning, just takes a long time to get there.  Say hello to Tara Iti, Cape Kidnappers, Jack’s point, Kinloch etc.

Asia, specifically Vietnam, Thailand

Eastern Europe specifically Bulgaria (take a bow Thracian cliffs). Turkey would also qualify as underrated and off the beaten path

Austria/Switzerland- better known for skiing, but visually stunning and the food and desserts in Vienna are fabulous. 

South Africa - always wanted to go.

France and Portugal

Canada, - Okay, I may be a bit biased with this one, but many fabulous places from Cape Breton on the East coast (Cabot Cliffs, Cabot Links), Alberta, (Banff Springs Jasper Park) BC (Capilano, Shaughnessy, Tobiano), Ontario (St. George’s, Hamilton, etc) 

Mexico, particularly Cabo San Lucas area. ( Diamanté, Querencia, Quivira). Not inexpensive but a fabulous experience. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

What an intriguing and thought provoking question. Had to think about this for a bit.  Underrated for me, means a little off the beaten path or difficult to get to or perhaps not as well known, but high quality, visually stunning or challenging or both. Having said that here are my choices. 

New Zealand - visually stunning, just takes a long time to get there.  Say hello to Tara Iti, Cape Kidnappers, Jack’s point, Kinloch etc.

Asia, specifically Vietnam, Thailand

Eastern Europe specifically Bulgaria (take a bow Thracian cliffs). Turkey would also qualify as underrated and off the beaten path

Austria/Switzerland- better known for skiing, but visually stunning and the food and desserts in Vienna are fabulous. 

South Africa - always wanted to go.

France and Portugal

Canada, - Okay, I may be a bit biased with this one, but many fabulous places from Cape Breton on the East coast (Cabot Cliffs, Cabot Links), Alberta, (Banff Springs Jasper Park) BC (Capilano, Shaughnessy, Tobiano), Ontario (St. George’s, Hamilton, etc) 

Mexico, particularly Cabo San Lucas area. ( Diamanté, Querencia, Quivira). Not inexpensive but a fabulous experience. 

Great list!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Great list!

Well, it was a great question.  

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

Well, it was a great question.  

Just trying to bring some international flare to the forum! We can all dream of amazing travel. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Asia looks like an interesting place for golf.  Korea, Thailand, China, Japan, etc.

I think Japan is relatively under rated for golf courses.  There are quite a number of courses all around Japan.  Plus their tradition of sit down lunch break between the front and back nines is cool too.  It’s also pretty cheap playing golf right now in Japan given the currency.  Price to value is off the charts.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 2:13 PM, KC Golf said:

It’s also pretty cheap playing golf right now in Japan given the currency.  Price to value is off the charts.

Really?  Cheap and golf in Japan are never things I would have put together.  Plus access to most high quality courses is kind of like the US and there weren't many true public courses.  I do agree there is some pretty good golf in Japan but not really accessible or cheap in my experience (also usually have to have a group).

Also not sure how New Zealand is getting mentioned as underrated.  I figure if you ask people for their top 5 golf countries outside of their home country a good chance New Zealand makes it.

For under rated I'm going with the Netherlands.  Truly one of the best golf trips I've made. 

I'd also say Wales should get a mention with some good value (I've joined a club in Wales).

- Joe