Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Changing your grip style (baseball grip!?)

Stop me if I sound insane here… but I think I’m switching to a baseball grip style.

For reference Cadet Small gloves fit my hands the best, interlocking always feels like I get my hands out of position, but has usually been recommended to me. I settled on using the overlapping grip for the majority of my time playing golf ~20 years now.

The baseball grip certainly feels weird, but it seems like I can feel the club head more and my forearms are staying connected a little better through the swing.

What about you all?

I’m curious to hear about the experiences for anyone else who’s made a switch to their grip style… especially after a long time using a different style.

Hit me up with your lessons learned, tips for getting used to the switch, and results!

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I went to the baseball grip a few years ago while working to correct my slice.  The grip didn’t necessarily help my slice but after a few swings it felt more comfortable. It has also allowed me to get a slightly stronger left hand while keeping my right hand closer to neutral.  Made a big difference in my consistency.  

I’ve messed around going back to the interlock and even the overlap but I either get too strong with the right or weaker with the left and I start push fading everything. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    PXG Black Ops 8* or Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Grey 65/4 shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :titleist-small: T150 4-GW with Modus 105R

Wedges:    :vokey-small: SM10 56M shaft TBD

:edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge 

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

@johngschulz. Try it for awhile and see how you feel. I used to interlock, then I changed to overlap and that feels most comfortable for me. Go with what feels good and gives you the best results for you.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I actually did the opposite. I grew up playing the 10 finger (baseball) grip and made the switch 2 seasons ago to the overlap. 

It took an entire winter of just holding a club with the overlap grip and a lot of range sessions to get used to it compared to the baseball grip. I tried to make the switch a couple times before that and could never get comfortable with it. But now going back to the baseball grip feels weird  

The biggest benefits I noticed were in my driver and short game. Mainly because I felt more comfortable getting my hands to turn over with the driver helping me straighten out and work the ball right to left which I could never do. As well as getting a little more feel with the wedges by having the hands connected. 

That being said give a shot for a couple range sessions or even in a round on the course and see how you like it. There’s no same perfect grip for everyone in my opinion. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Been using the ten finger grip for almost ten yrs now. Went to it after reading "The LittleRed Book" Was looking for more consitancy and slice correction. Harvey said it works for those with small hands and the aged golfer. Am both (78 yrs old). Old grip was interlock. Glad I made the change.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

I’m small and have small hands too. I used interlock from the start (age 7) until about 30. a few years ago, I’m 35 now, I started trying baseball to get more speed and help with the driver.  While it worked ok on the range, I struggled with my wedges and other awkward finesse shots. Also during my speed training with the stack I saw that I wasn’t faster with baseball and tended to shut the face down too much. I feel my swing more with my left than right hand though, so that could be a reason for my preferences. Baseball grip brings back a little more of a slap shot hit feeling than I now prefer. The experiment was worth it though. 

I now use an overlap grip for everthing and don’t see myself changing. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

23 hours ago, John W Sutch said:

Been using the ten finger grip for almost ten yrs now. Went to it after reading "The LittleRed Book" Was looking for more consitancy and slice correction. Harvey said it works for those with small hands and the aged golfer. Am both (78 yrs old). Old grip was interlock. Glad I made the change.

“The Little Red Book” is on my annual reading list before each spring. I always read it front to back and was thinking of that chapter when thinking of making the change!

WITB:

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I have switched to a baseball grip and it has significantly helped my game. I started with overlap then went to interlock. I do have small hands and as I got older there was some pain with my left thumb and right pinky finger. My hands were “fighting” each other during the swing. To mitigate the pain, I switched to a true baseball grip…where my left hand is in a fist (the thumb is off the club and instead wrapped around the index finger). The bottom right hand is conventional but with the pinky on the club. I went from struggling with a snap hook on bad shots to a power fade. This grip allows for the left hand to become more dominant due to increased grip pressure and the right hand grip pressure to be lighter. Also, I get more hinge with my hands and therefore my swing speed has increased. My swing thought is to take the club back with my chest and go as wide as possible in the backswing. Then plant my left heel to start the downswing and “go hard” through the ball. The grip took a while to get used to, but boy has it been worth it! Greater distance especially off the tee but also better contact throughout the bag. My low left duck hook is gone. And most importantly, no pain in my hands. 

Edited by Vertical

Drivers: Titleist TSR2 10 degree Tensei AV Blue 55 shaft and Ping G425 10.5 degree Alta CB 55 shaft 

Fairway woods: TaylorMade Burner 15 and Titleist TS2 18 Kuro Kage shaft

Irons: Ping G425 irons 5-PW w/ Alta CB graphite shafts

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 921 gap 51. Ping Glide sand wedge 56. Titleist Vokey SM-07 lob wedge 60

Grips: Golf Pride MCC midsize plus 4 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura midsize

Balls: Titleist Pro V1 and Titleist Velocity

I use a 10-finger for all my woods but interlocking for hybrids and irons. I've been doing this for at least 10 years, and it works for me. Totally not the norm by any means but I have the most consistency using this approach. I have medium sized hands but longer fingers. At the end of the day, it is what works best for you, your hand and finger size, and comfort. If you are putting too much pressure on your fingers with an interlock, then over time your finger joints will start to hurt. Also keep in mind grip size really matters. Get fit for proper grip size for your hands! I have longer fingers, so I fit best into a mid-size grip. This now allows me to interlock with the irons. An interlocking grip with a standard grip size (for me) allows the club to twist if I don't over grip. Over gripping results in poor shot control.  

Some things to watch out for using a 10-finger grip. 

1) Make sure your hands stay connected. No gaps between the hands on the club. 

2) If you are right-handed make sure your left hand / arm is pulling the club through impact. Pushing the club through with the right hand/arm which is dominant for right hangers can lead to some unwanted results.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I use a 10-finger for all my woods but interlocking for hybrids and irons. I've been doing this for at least 10 years, and it works for me. Totally not the norm by any means but I have the most consistency using this approach. I have medium sized hands but longer fingers. At the end of the day, it is what works best for you, your hand and finger size, and comfort. If you are putting too much pressure on your fingers with an interlock, then over time your finger joints will start to hurt. Also keep in mind grip size really matters. Get fit for proper grip size for your hands! I have longer fingers, so I fit best into a mid-size grip. This now allows me to interlock with the irons. An interlocking grip with a standard grip size (for me) allows the club to twist if I don't over grip. Over gripping results in poor shot control.  

Some things to watch out for using a 10-finger grip. 

1) Make sure your hands stay connected. No gaps between the hands on the club. 

2) If you are right-handed make sure your left hand / arm is pulling the club through impact. Pushing the club through with the right hand/arm which is dominant for right hangers can lead to some unwanted results.

Good call outs and points! Been playing undersized grips off of a recommendation from Club Champion years ago, I’ve been messing with grip sizes and I’m actually going back to standard with a couple wraps underneath the right hand.

Thanks for the response.

WITB:

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I haven't switched styles, I've been using the interlocking pretty much my whole golf life. 

However, I've known for years I've had a pretty week grip, but instructors I've worked with all said, it was "fine for now"  I guess they thought I had bigger issues...ha

But last week on the range, a friend who I have golfed with for 7 years asked me if I ever tried a stronger grip...this was as I was hitting high weak fade after weak fade.  I told him the above about the instructors, and he said, give it a try just to see.  So I did and after one or two tops.   I started hitting drives on a straight rope.  

This was pretty constant for about 20 shots before I called it a day.   He thought it would add a few yards as ell since the ball will be landing going forward and not the the right.  

It was definitely a different feel and one I had to take extra notice of before the shot to make sure I was "seeing 3 knuckles"   I'll definitely continue to work with it and see where it goes from here. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I hate to say this, but I've never tried the baseball grip - used to do interlock, but I'm now almost 100% overlap (with the exception of putting with LHL).  Curious what the benefits are here - my only sliceable club is my driver (for whatever reason), so I'm wondering if it could be an opportunity there. 🤔

Off to the next rabbit hole I go....

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Back to golf after a 25 year break. Had always interlocked but it was causing a nasty blister now (turns out glove was too large). I switched to the baseball grip and was comfortable with it in a couple days. Haven’t looked back. May go back to interlock “just because” but there is no actual reason to. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max Woods/Hybrids/Irons, Clevelend Zipcore Wedges, Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5 Putter, Bagboy Nitron Cart, Bagboy Revolver Bag, Ecco Biom G5 shoes, 

Every year, at some point throughout the season, I experiment with a baseball grip, but only for my driver and sometimes my 3 wood. It does something for me that helps turn the club over, I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe my normal grip is all out of whack, who knows. I can never make the transition to using it 100%... it's usually "Hmmm.. let me drop another one and use a baseball grip" type thing. I am normally an interlock guy.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Every year, at some point throughout the season, I experiment with a baseball grip, but only for my driver and sometimes my 3 wood. It does something for me that helps turn the club over, I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe my normal grip is all out of whack, who knows. I can never make the transition to using it 100%... it's usually "Hmmm.. let me drop another one and use a baseball grip" type thing. I am normally an interlock guy.

I’ve played around with it on the range as well, but never committed to the change for playing. I’m also more conscientious about gripping the club more in my fingers vs palms which I think is helping the transition.

I’ll keep folks posted here after I get some rounds in, now that the thread’s picking up steam.

WITB:

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I started playing golf around 13, and I was never taught to hold a club. So I just held it the way it seemed best - like a baseball bat. Here 35+ years later, I still hold it that way. It allows for much more flexibility of weak/strong grip from either hand.

I've tried to switch to overlap or interlock, but it just feels like I'm less connected to the club and that it's not as firmly in my control (feels loose in the swing to me). I obviously don't want to strangle the grip, but I just don't like having fingers "off" the club which is how it seems with these other grip types.

I haven't had a swing coach tell me I had to switch, so that's good.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter: Maltby Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 hour ago, johngschulz said:

I’ve played around with it on the range as well, but never committed to the change for playing. I’m also more conscientious about gripping the club more in my fingers vs palms which I think is helping the transition.

I’ll keep folks posted here after I get some rounds in, now that the thread’s picking up steam.

It's pretty much the same for me, I think I just feel more connected... which makes sense. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I had missed this thread somehow, and now it's popped up after posting about it in the "how did you practice " thread yesterday. 

I won't repost everything,  but if you want to read it go  HERE TO READ

The short of it is I will be using the  baseball grip on Driver and Woods/Hybrids.  Once im comfortable with those, Then I'll move onto long irons (which I've never been able to hit well at all) 

For now ill keep interlock for 8i thru wedges, as I connect really well with them.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

It does sound a little crazy (to me) but in the end, whatever works for you is what you go with. I switched to an interlocking grip before I started playing high school golf and have never looked back. I use an overlap grip when putting and sometimes when chipping around the green. I'm surprised at how many people use a baseball grip. I guess I just assumed everyone was interlock or overlap. I'm keen to hear more about how switching works for you.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I watched a video on YouTube where the 'pro' was gripping the club like a suitcase. Holding the club on the middle part of your fingers. I like it so far and have even begun to draw the ball slightly, which has given me more role and a bit more distance. 

I also remember something my father-in-law taught me when I began golfing 25 years ago. Grip the club like you are holding 'you know what'. LOL

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I switched to 10 finger 25 years ago.  I had trouble, with club slip, and I just always felt like club was going to fly out of my hands.  I just found it much more comfortable, along with mid-size grips.  It is mostly about feel, and what gives you the most confidence.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

I switched to 10 finger 25 years ago.  I had trouble, with club slip, and I just always felt like club was going to fly out of my hands.  I just found it much more comfortable, along with mid-size grips.  It is mostly about feel, and what gives you the most confidence.

There is definitely something to using an interlock or overlap grip over a baseball grip but truly it does come down to what feels best and works for you. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

3 hours ago, Preeway said:

There is definitely something to using an interlock or overlap grip over a baseball grip but truly it does come down to what feels best and works for you. 

Can you elaborate? I really am curious what gives those two options an advantage. I’ve used both over the years, I kinda feel like I get a little less handsy/ flippy with the new change I’m working on.

WITB:

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I can only speak to what I learned decades ago. Using an interlock grip, or overlap, is designed to keep the hands working together rather than separately and thus creating a less “handsy” motion and a swing more about arms and torso. Not sure if that was the best description but ultimately you don’t want the hands working independently from each other. You want them working in unison. 

We all concur with the "whatever works for you", but one has to try/experiment with a change and give it enough time to truly validate any merits. As I get older ( caddied for Moses once - big hitter but lousy putter) I found a complete separation between mind and body. Mind says  this is what we should do and the body says "please" ain't gonna happen! Any who, I went to the baseball grip to elevate hand/finger stress due to arthritis. Now able to keep a solid grip on the club and actually achieved more distance with the driver. While it's not what Ben Hogan did, but I remember him saying, after he found what ever he found, "I wish I had 2 or 3 right hands hitting the ball. I place my hands low at address and it allows me to swing (at least for me) a lot more freely at/through the ball. It results in a slight fade but it's a consistent shot pattern and one that offers a lot more confidence when standing over the ball. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Actually practiced this today, and have to say from 7i up to driver was averaging 10 more yards, higher flight paths, and less skewed shots. The only downside was my backswing was a slightly higher ascent.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

A long time ago on a course far far away, I used to play with the baseball grip, I hit it long and straight with the irons but with my driver I always had a fade. Went to my local PGA professional that I graduated with to get ride of my fade, he proceeds to tell me that we need to make a small change, He changed my grip(overlap with the pinky lock), had me move my from shoulder in front of my back shoulder, the grip screwed me up for about a month then it all clicked.

I miss the baseball grip, but if you use it make sure you get the grip out into the fingers, not in the middle of the palms, it will help give your swing a bit more flexibility in your hands and may produce some extra yardage.

Edited by buckpillar

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com