Shoot Your Age Thread-Tell Us All About It

Golfspy_CG2

Does putt putt or 9 holes count???

Either is not nearly as impressive as what @ole gray did!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Definitely not as impressive but 9 holes should count! I had a -3 under 32 at the end of last season which was my low 9 ever. 

Alex J

WITB: 

Driver: Taylormade M5 

3 Wood: Callaway Paradigm Triple Black Diamond

HY: PXG 0311 Gen 5 19 Degree

Irons: PXG 0311p Gen 3 

Wedges: TM MG3 50, 56, TM Hi Toe 60

Putter: Custom Byron Morgan DH89

I will never shoot my age unless I tee off from the red tees. It took me 45 years to shoot 76 this year but I'm only 69. I'll have to be satisfied w my 3 aces and bowling 289. 

I hit the ball often, but play when ready, carry my putter to the next tee and rake the bunkers like I was never in .

34 minutes ago, AJ1013 said:

Definitely not as impressive but 9 holes should count! I had a -3 under 32 at the end of last season which was my low 9 ever. 

I agree with a 9 hole half the age, but I read as TJ asking if 73 for nine holes counts, since he added the putt putt comment 🙂 

But I could be wrong, yes, I'd be thrilled with a 32 for 9 holes! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I agree with a 9 hole half the age, but I read as TJ asking if 73 for nine holes counts, since he added the putt putt comment 🙂 

But I could be wrong, yes, I'd be thrilled with a 32 for 9 holes! 

I was intending something a little closer to even par for 9 holes

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Congratulations on shooting your age. I'm 74 now and have been able to shoot my age a few times in each of the past few years. Every once in awhile you have that 'lights out' round when everything comes together. For me it was a 68 (on a par 72) course 4 or 5 years ago. As a single digit handicapper I don't win much in my league play because I'm competing with 12-15 handicappers in my flight. So I have a personal goal to try and shoot my age! I must admit that I can get some nerves if I turn the first nine in even par just thinking about shooting my age again!

37 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I was intending something a little closer to even par for 9 holes

Well then,  I think it counts!  It's my thread and I make the rules 🙂 

Have done it about 6 times now over the last couple of years, but right now I have to go under par, since I'm 69 ( 70 in March ) but as said before, there are those days when everything falls into place.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

38 minutes ago, M McDonald said:

Congratulations on shooting your age. I'm 74 now and have been able to shoot my age a few times in each of the past few years. Every once in awhile you have that 'lights out' round when everything comes together. For me it was a 68 (on a par 72) course 4 or 5 years ago. As a single digit handicapper I don't win much in my league play because I'm competing with 12-15 handicappers in my flight. So I have a personal goal to try and shoot my age! I must admit that I can get some nerves if I turn the first nine in even par just thinking about shooting my age again!

Congrats @M Mcdonald and you're right about those nerves coming down the stretch. Killers! 🥶

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

26 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well then,  I think it counts!  It's my thread and I make the rules 🙂 

Works for me!  With that, have done it a couple times for nine holes.  Got a few years (ok, a lot) of years before it is a realistic goal for 18!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Last April playing Cane Garden here in the villages I had no expectations but played the first 8 holes even par , the 9th a lengthy par 5 I dumped my wedge into a deep 8-9 feet bunker , sensing trouble ahead I blasted to 18 inches to save par , turned to the back and promptly went birdie , triple bogey , birdie, par , birdie and parred out for an even par 72 as I had turned 72 in January to shoot my age  , two weeks after my third hole in one !

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Since I have reached my 70th decade on this earth, I am hoping I get the opportunity to shoot my age at least once before I depart.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

On 2/29/2024 at 8:52 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Congrats to our esteemed member @ole gray who shot his age this week a 73 or 74 I think.  Well Done Bill!  

So I thought this would be nice thread to keep running for those of you who have achieved that great milestone, or even stories of just missing out, would be fun to hear. 

So who else has shot there age! 

The only time I’ve shot my age is on a short (2,833-yard) par-34, 9-hole course near me, where they allow you to play a second loop around if there is nobody waiting to tee off on hole #1 when you come off the 9th green (you are “on your honor” to pay the replay rate after finishing your second nine).  The course is called Heritage Creek Golf Club (see link below), and here is what happened:

I was playing as a single one day last spring and was hitting the ball and putting pretty well. After four holes, I caught up with another single golfer, about 25 years old, and joined up with him to finish that nine. He hit the ball a very long way and I managed to play within my capabilities rather than trying to keep up with the “bomber”, which is not always easy for me. I continued to play well, barely missing an ace on hole #8, and finished the nine with a score of 37 (3 over par).

When we got finished with that nine, we had to drive past the first tee (carts are necessary on this course because it is more than a mile through the woods from the clubhouse and parking lot to the first tee, and even farther back from the 9th green). There was nobody on the first tee, nor in the fairway, and my playing partner asked “do you want to play another nine?”. I was such a beautiful day, and I had nowhere to be in the next couple of hours, so I said “sure, let’s do it!”

On my second nine, from the blue tees after playing the whites for most of my first nine until joining up with the young golfer, I played even better than my first nine, with two birdies (holes 7 and 9), and just two bogeys (holes 4 and 5), with five pars.  The 34 on my second loop around the 9-hole course gave me a score of 71, 3 strokes below my age, and also 3 strokes lower than I had previously shot for 18 holes on this course. When I previously shot 74 there, I was not yet 74 years old; in fact, I was just 72.

I have indeed shot lower than 74 before, with a lowest-ever score of 68 on a par-70, 6,100-yard course. However, I was only 44 years old when I did that. Back when I was a single digit handicap golfer (age 42 through age 61), I shot at least a few dozen rounds in the low-mid 70s, and two rounds in the 60s, so I am holding out hope that this now 74 year old guy (75 in just about 3 weeks) will catch “lightning in a bottle” at least once or twice, and shoot my age while I am still able to play the game reasonably well.

Heritage Creek website link — www.heritagecreekgolfclub.com

Edited by funkyjudge
typo

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

We have a men's league golfer who is 88 years old and carries a course handicap from our gold tees of 23.  Brian is slight in stature, walks with a very deliberate pace and reminds everyone who knows him of their British grandfather.  At face value, he's the last you would peg as someone who ever shot their age!

Two weeks ago, he made a statement after shooting one over his age that he's shot is age "once or twice."  A gave him a funny look as I've played with him when he's done it at least that.  So when I got home I downloaded 17 years of Brian GHIN posted scores and compared each round (just under 900) with his age.  Here's what I found:

Since he turned 80, he's shot his age 3 times and better than his age 7 times.  During that same timeframe, he was within 2 strokes of shooting his age 21 times and within three strokes 41 times. 

Given there's a low single digit percentage of people who will shoot their age once in their lifetime, Brian is our very special local exception.   

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

4 hours ago, ole gray said:

Thanks good buddy!  I shot 73 yesterday which had me smiling like a hawk in a chicken pen. 😆 I shot 74 twice last year missing my mark by one which made yesterday pretty special. I've had three hole-in-ones in my life and they didn't touch the pulse pumping excitement I had when I made par on 18 to hit my mark. You talking about pressure I felt it bruther and it had my nerves running for the woodshed! 

babyrunningdownhallway.gif.68e1ea3bccdb821611428c2d175b1c16.gif

Anyways maybe your graphics designer can drum up a badge for those who hit this goal.  It's pretty sweet to say the least.  Congrats to those that have made it and good luck to you all in the future!

I'm way ahead of you buddy, I'm going to bring it up to the Badge Makers!! 

I'm way ahead of you buddy, I'm going to bring it up to the Badge Makers!! 

You da man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland

Bob Hope (OG comedian and host of golf tourneys back in the day for you  young 'uns) once said:

"I went out to shoot my age ..

.. but shot my weight instead"

🤣

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Bob Hope (OG comedian and host of golf tourneys back in the day for you  young 'uns) once said:
"I went out to shoot my age ..
.. but shot my weight instead"

Now that’s funny right there

Cleveland

10 hours ago, AJ1013 said:

It’s been 4 years but I shot 5 under 30 with a bogey but there was a high school match on the other  side so I couldn’t play the second 9 consequently I didn’t get a chance to break my age at 68

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Could never shoot 33 on 18 holes, unless it was the putt count. I do turn 34 in May and the local 9-holes are Par 30, 31 and 36. I believe I can definitely achieve it on the par 30 & 31, but I will shoot for the 34 on the par 36 to push myself, could have a great day and achieve it some time down the road. Adding it to my season goals.

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33
Small edit

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

14 hours ago, ole gray said:

Now that’s funny right there emoji23.png

🤣🤣🤣

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS