Center shafted putters

MrHogan

I’ve used a couple of centered shafted putters in the past with limited success. I found that a putting stroke that needed both hands was actually my problem. That being said, I’m now using a L.A.B. broomstick putter that’s center shafted (like all of their putters) and have improved my putting significantly. 

For 30 years, I have preferred a center shafted putter. For 28 of those years , I have been using a centershafted  broomstick. From 2016-18, I used a 33" centershafted from ping, seemore and odyssey.

I still have them all ..... see pictures. 

I mentally prefer the symmetrical look and balance. I'm not sure I can try anything else. My putting swing path travels directly down my target time.

Picsart_24-05-22_05-12-06-989.jpg

John McGroarty 

Posted (edited)

I have been playing a Cleveland HB Soft 11c since I purchased it in 2020. Before that I played a Carbite ZH for 20 years. The HB 11c is the first center shafted putter I have ever used. I had toyed with the idea way back in 2000,  then bought the ZH, which is not center shafted, but "Polar Balanced" with the putter head weighted at toe and heel, and was a great feeling putter for me. Refreshing my bag in 2020, I decided to buy a new putter, and wanted to try a center shafted model. Of course, pricing would be a major consideration in this purchase. Went to PGASS to see what they had on their practice green. Tried a few different brands, and the Cleveland 11c felt really good in my hands, with the feel I was looking for when I was putting. I had noticed the stability of the putter, with the ball contacting the face where the shaft is positioned, making for a very stable stroke for me, with my back and thru style. Now that I have a few seasons on this putter, I feel I do putt much better, even when I miss the cup, ball speed, and distance control is very good. Right after I purchased this putter($130), I cut it down to 29", and I put a SuperStroke Traxion Tour 2.0 with the counter balance weight feature of 25 grams in the butt of the grip on this putter, and this putter is very smooth for me. Never feeks jerky, or too light. I had a SS 2.0(no cb) on my Carbite(29") for quite a few years, and enjoyed the feeling of it. I would recommend the Cleveland HB Soft center shafted putters to anyone at this time, who is looking for that style of putter. I am sure there is a Cleveland putter to fit everyone looking at this type of putter, and it won't break the bank. I was NOT spending $300-$400 on a putter! And I am not a putter wh@%*, or a collector! This IS the one club in the bag that gets used on every hole(other than chip ins, or HIO's), and I make sure that this IS the club I WANT to use when I buy it! Of course, there is a period of time to get used to any new club, but I don't mind putting in the work. I really enjoy the feel, and the look of this putter. I think the milling on the face makes a big difference with the feel, and after using an insert putter for 20+ years, I wasn't sure if I would have the same feel when striking the ball, but it is actually much better than I expected. I get feedback instantly, and know that I made a good stroke, or not. The Cleveland HB Soft 11c will be in my bag for years to come...

Edited by drb1956
correcting

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

Posted (edited)

I have used center shafted putters for 25 years. Currently using a Cure CX1 with a JumboMax S1.2 grip. I have gone back to conventional heal shafted a number of times but always find myself returning to what is most comfortable for me. Currently have close to twenty center shafted putters in my shop. 

Edited by PJVicary

Using Cure CX3 putter

I have previously tried centre shaft putters and they just don't look right to me. I don't know if it is because I am strongly left eye dominant or if it is just me. I have an old and battered Taylormade Spider Ghost model with a slightly embarrassing Fatso grip, but I must admit I do like it!

I think from a look standpoint, I have always found plumbers neck on a blade looks the best. Though I have a tendency to get a little toey. I wonder if I can set aside the looks for better results. I do want to book a putting lesson or two moving forward. Maybe this will be my motivation to set aside the ego and go for what actually works for me.

- TK

I realise some people hate them (see Peter Finch videos as a good example) but having gone through testing the RUNNER putter recently which fitted me for a centre shaft I'm not sure I'd go back. I love it - it helps alignment with where you want to hit it, it reduces twisting if you do miss-hit and it's working well for my slight arc.

I'd certainly recommend the RUNNER putters (final reviews went up recently) but also know people who play LAB and others that are well worth trying out.

As a few have mentioned it'll come down to personal preference and what other parts to it you want - I.e. configuration etc.

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
RUNNER Mallet putter  

I would definitely see about going to a PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy or <fill in the blank> local gold store and rolling as many putters as possible. I currently game a LAB Mezz Max and I wouldn't have expected to like it as much as I did, but I simply rolled it better than my current putter, other LAB putters (Link and DF2.1 -- DF3 wasn't out when I purchased) and other big name putters that I tried. While not CS, the only other putter that came close for me was the Taylor Made Spyder Tour. All this to say, that I think a focus on MOI and reduced torque in the putting stroke is definitely worth it for your golf game.

The only drawback that I see from the LAB putter is that the aluminum of the putter head is VERY soft. You will get dings, chips, marks and blemishes on the putter.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

It depends upon where your ball position is. I have a center shafted Heavy Putter that I alternate with a Maltby putter with a shaft that enters about one inch from the heel. The center shaft allows for a slightly onset position of the club head which can help if you are pulling your putts

Master club builder and golf instructor 

If you are trying for a shoulders-only putter stroke with no wrist involvement, then you must putt open-to-closed, imho.  To keep the putter appearing square throughout the stroke must involve the wrists slightly closing the clubface going back and slightly opening it after the hit, even if this is subconscious.  That's not a good way to putt.

I play a Positive Putter P2 which is heel shafted and has a shaft bend that is bent to give no toe hang like the center shafted putters.

Because I love the way this putter works and equally wanted the tech from the head of the Evnroll putters, so I bought a used ER2 and sent it to the Positive putter guys and they reshafted it to have that toe up balance.  I get it back today and can't wait to put it in play!

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4  58/9

Putter: Evnroll ER2 head with a custom shaft set up from Positive Putters that gives a toe up balance

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft with triple track                     

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I gamed an Odyssey Versa 7CS until the recent AI One test in which I tested the AI One Milled 7DB. I loved the center shaft of the Versa and would likely still be gaming it if not for how well the AI One performed.  There are many good models that are CS design - the Versa 7CS was a rear one for me.  What I like is that the CS design “creates the visual” of putting the shaft dead center of where you should be making contact with the ball.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Posted (edited)

I own 14 putters and while most of them are older, I do possess a center shafted putter. An Odyssey 2-Ball I inherited from my dad. Never liked it at first because it looked weird to me but as I grew used to seeing it in my mix of putters I would try it in the house (over the long Minnesota winters). I actually started using it on the practice greens and ended up enjoying the look and performance. I rotate my putters frequently because I realized which putters work best for me for different green speeds and grass types. Yes, all my putters travel with me to every golf course I play… and once I figure out which putter I want to use that day for the practice green I tested, I generally have a decent day putting (except for the golf courses whose practice green is nothing like the greens on the golf course!). Probably mental but I enjoy my method…

Edited by AndyK

Currently employed at Riverwood National Golf Course, in Otsego, MN (USA)   RW Logo copy.png

WITB: 

Callaway Paradym 9 & 10.5 drivers, depending on conditions and my swing that day! (Accra Tour Z x255 M3)

Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 woods (stock Aldila Synergy shafts, Stiff)

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB, Regular)

Callaway Apex Pro 19 (True Temper Elevate Tour 115 Steel, Regular)

13 different putters in rotation!! 😆

Seed SD-05 (a 3-piece urethane cover, 80 compression ball)

I game a Cameron Futura cs, have for a number of years, before that I used a Odyssey White Hot cs. Personally I think it’s easier to hit center face of putter.

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

I recently changed from a Ping Sigma 2 Fetch to the Lab DF3 and while I'm still getting used to it, I'm putting more confidently. 

Project Golfer

I am guilty of being a high handicapper and buying equipment before taking lessons. Recently, I have splurged on lessons thanks to the company I work for pays out $800/yr on "fitness" lessons, gym memberships, or "exercise" equipment. After about my 3rd lesson of various drills to fix my slice, I started hitting fairways more often and quickly realized that my high score wasn't because of my horrid drives, I was 3 and sometimes 4 putting most holes. I asked my coach to help me with putting. Pulled out my Odyssey Marxman, putted a few, and my coach quickly pointed out I have an alignment problem and consistency problem. So I went and bought a Scotty Cameron X7.... Then a Bettinardi BB1. A lesson or 2 with each, he asked me why I didn't listen when he told me a center shafted putter would best suited for me for alignment reasons. I went to the local Edwin Watts and came out with a Cleveland HB soft milled 10.5. I ended up hating it. I don't know why, I just did. Went back to my X7. I was averaging 2.9 pph. I happened to stop by the PGA Superstore this past weekend and they were doing free putter fittings. Low and behold, I was told I needed a center shafted putter again. I walked out with a L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max. Played a VGA tournament the next day, averaged 2.1 pph, shaved a total of 10 strokes off from previous VGA tournament. I thought the whole balancing act their CEO markets was just another marketing gimmick... It probably is, but the feel is great, and I'm putting better. Gimmick or not, I'll see how my pph is in the next tournament.

Putters, do not need to propel the golf ball 300 yards.

It is all about alignment and speed.  

The center shafted putters are friendly to the vision of a lot of golfers.  It is not a medicine to cure all.  

Find a putter design which could match your perception/vision; then fine tune the weight and balance of the selected putter to suit your game.

Me?  I have just about all the different design of the putters through the decades; can putt adequately with any style of putters.  Of course, there are a couple of personal preferences.  

The speed of the greens will dictate which putter style/weight will be more suitable. 

I have 2 center shaft putters, they worked OK for me. But I prefer using  a double wide blade with plumber's neck. I go back the the center shaft when I develop  the yips but always return to the blade.

I have tried the center shafted putter. I didn’t feel comfortable stroking the ball. I found it more difficult to line my putts up and not pleasing to my eyes.

Playing golf is very important to me. I enjoy the integrity of the game!

I wouldn't mind using a center shafted putter, in fact I have a couple.....but I've never really been what I would call successful with one.   I have always leaned toward heel shafted, face-balanced mallets (starting with the old "Zebra" mallet, and progressing through the Odyssey Rossie II, and now the Maltby PTM-5 heel shafted mallet.).    My only problem with the heel shafted mallet is sometimes the double bend shaft is not installed quite right, making them look a slight bit hooked to me.

A center shafted mallet always looks square, but for some reason, I don't make a lot of putts with them (of course, I don't make a lot of putts with ANY putter, LOL!)

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, VGAhacker said:

I am guilty of being a high handicapper and buying equipment before taking lessons. Recently, I have splurged on lessons thanks to the company I work for pays out $800/yr on "fitness" lessons, gym memberships, or "exercise" equipment. After about my 3rd lesson of various drills to fix my slice, I started hitting fairways more often and quickly realized that my high score wasn't because of my horrid drives, I was 3 and sometimes 4 putting most holes. I asked my coach to help me with putting. Pulled out my Odyssey Marxman, putted a few, and my coach quickly pointed out I have an alignment problem and consistency problem. So I went and bought a Scotty Cameron X7.... Then a Bettinardi BB1. A lesson or 2 with each, he asked me why I didn't listen when he told me a center shafted putter would best suited for me for alignment reasons. I went to the local Edwin Watts and came out with a Cleveland HB soft milled 10.5. I ended up hating it. I don't know why, I just did. Went back to my X7. I was averaging 2.9 pph. I happened to stop by the PGA Superstore this past weekend and they were doing free putter fittings. Low and behold, I was told I needed a center shafted putter again. I walked out with a L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max. Played a VGA tournament the next day, averaged 2.1 pph, shaved a total of 10 strokes off from previous VGA tournament. I thought the whole balancing act their CEO markets was just another marketing gimmick... It probably is, but the feel is great, and I'm putting better. Gimmick or not, I'll see how my pph is in the next tournament.

Alignment is the number one issue in putting, the second to consider I'd the perception of depth, which will determine the speed of the putt.  If nothing on the market could make you feel that you are in control of putting ( after working and practicing  with the same putter ).  

You will need to visit your competent optometrist, perhaps you have a condition which could be corrected or, prevent from further deterioration. 

Our vision really plays a big part in  our golf game.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with owning a bunch of golf clubs, especially the putter.

Edited by release

LAB is a game changer - surprising results, even when not actually getting fit for the putter (my next move might be a fitting to see if it can get even better). They're pricey, but if you know rough specs, you can scan through their outlet to see if you can find one cheaper (lots of demos in there, but the one I bought seems like it was a cancelled custom order or proto or something, because it came brand new).

Center shaft in general: always liked it. One of my favorite putters back in HS/College was a Never Compromise Sub 30 CS blade (used it so much I wore out the insert). SeeMore always felt good when trying them out, but never actually put one in the bag. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I went back to my Odyssey center - shaft 2 ball that I had I high school after years of plumbers necks and toe hangs. My putting has instantly improved. It just fits my eye better 

Photographer, snowboarder, car enthusiast, total hack

On 3/18/2024 at 11:51 AM, Chris13 said:

I use the Cleveland HB soft 10.5, most of their models can come center shafted.  Played it with a rental set and realized it lined up with my eyeline perfectly.  Will never go back to blades.  Also, changed to the golf pride cord putter grip.  I putt better with this than the center shafted expensive putters(LAB, Ping, Bettinardi).  There’s an HB 2 soft 11 that looks pretty sweet!  Cleveland doesn’t get much respect but the HB(Huntington Beach) series are really good 

I could have written this statement. I really like my HB soft 10.5. I have the Blackout model with a dark head and black shaft. Same grip, too. I really like the weight of it and I get a great feel for center hits. 

TZ