Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Complete Golf bag sets. Yay or Nay?

Rob Person

I have a few younger coworkers who are starting to eye some interest into playing golf.

TL/WR: has anyone bought, played, enjoyed, any of the complete golf bag sets that cost less than a new 2024 driver? 

Back story

They are TRYING to stay economical,  as they dont want to blow a wad of cash on something they may not even enjoy.

But, they also have a bit of ego as well, and believe big $$ means they will play like pros. Also, they ignore advice like "go hit some demos, maybe hit the driving range, go just ride through a round of 18 holes in mid july" and so on.

I suggested they look into some of the complete sets offered up on websites like amazon, dicks, academy, RBG, Callaway,  etc etc to help ease them into it.  New 11/14 sets with bag range from $200-600.

I admitted to them that I knew nothing about these complete club deals,  other than for what some will pay for just their driver, you can get a whole starter set and move on from there.

I loosely explained all the other factors and expenses that come with golf. And seeing as I am a CAPP, I could guide them on how to play as cheap as possible,  and still have fun.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

17 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I have a few younger coworkers who are starting to eye some interest into playing golf.

TL/WR: has anyone bought, played, enjoyed, any of the complete golf bag sets that cost less than a new 2024 driver? 

Back story

They are TRYING to stay economical,  as they dont want to blow a wad of cash on something they may not even enjoy.

But, they also have a bit of ego as well, and believe big $$ means they will play like pros. Also, they ignore advice like "go hit some demos, maybe hit the driving range, go just ride through a round of 18 holes in mid july" and so on.

I suggested they look into some of the complete sets offered up on websites like amazon, dicks, academy, RBG, Callaway,  etc etc to help ease them into it.  New 11/14 sets with bag range from $200-600.

I admitted to them that I knew nothing about these complete club deals,  other than for what some will pay for just their driver, you can get a whole starter set and move on from there.

I loosely explained all the other factors and expenses that come with golf. And seeing as I am a CAPP, I could guide them on how to play as cheap as possible,  and still have fun.

18 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Back story

I think it’s fine to buy a beginner set. Low investment to see if they like it.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

I think complete sets are a good way to get started.    Stix golf offers a complete set and bag for $699 and you can get $50 off first purchase.  Ive seen them and pretty sure I hit one of the irons; they seem decent. 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/first-look/first-look-stix-golf-play-series/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Stix is a good brand for a mid-range starter set. If they are willing to spend a little more, check out a set of Takomo irons and maybe go cheap on a used driver and 3 wood. If they end up liking golf they’ll have a really good set of irons and can then focus their next big money drop on woods and putters. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

What about sets like the Strata, TopFlite, etc? Callaway had a deal on a bag set for 399 at dicks last week.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

54 minutes ago, Preeway said:

Stix is a good brand for a mid-range starter set. If they are willing to spend a little more, check out a set of Takomo irons and maybe go cheap on a used driver and 3 wood. If they end up liking golf they’ll have a really good set of irons and can then focus their next big money drop on woods and putters. 

Good idea

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

6 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

What about sets like the Strata, TopFlite, etc? Callaway had a deal on a bag set for 399 at dicks last week.

I started with a TopFlite set myself. I wanted to be sure golf was something I'd enjoy and eventually just upgraded pieces here and there after I got addicted. I think it's a fine idea, unless they're absolutely wanting to spend more dough.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Just now, TSauer said:

I started with a TopFlite set myself. I wanted to be sure golf was something I'd enjoy and eventually just upgraded pieces here and there after I got addicted. I think it's a fine idea, unless they're absolutely wanting to spend more dough.

There in itself lies the issue. They care more about status and ego....on most things. but when I showed them what a new top brands set can truly cost, they all stared at me like I was the devil.

I suspect that if they do start playing, they will all be buying the pricey and hottest trends to wear and look cool, but still be scowling at spending more than a few hundred on clubs

First set of clubs were given to me, they were a set of top flite clubs. That included the putter. I played those for a good 3-4 months and the head broke off the 8 iron while at the range. Went so far as to buying myself used clubs from a Wilson Cortex driver and C300 irons getting hand me down wedges, and buying a Taylormade Juno putter that was probably not the best putter out there in the shop I went into, I had my own set I put together for less than a grand.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

As someone who bought a Wilson boxed set last year, I think they are not great but it is certainly convenient. If they catch the golf bug I suspect they’ll move past them quickly. The Wilson box set was marketed as SGI, but didn’t really have those properties other than bulky iron heads.

I wish I spent more time looking at garage sales/used clubs. Something older, made well, not going to fall apart on you, and likely feel better.

Edited by BallsLeon
  • Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

7 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

There in itself lies the issue. They care more about status and ego....on most things. but when I showed them what a new top brands set can truly cost, they all stared at me like I was the devil.

I suspect that if they do start playing, they will all be buying the pricey and hottest trends to wear and look cool, but still be scowling at spending more than a few hundred on clubs

Yeah, unfortunately you can't really do much about that. If they've never played golf before and want to spend $1,000 on clubs because $$$$$ = good golf, then I guess you can't stop them. If it fails, you may be able to snag some discounted clubs 🤣

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The first set I got myself was a set from Sports Authority and it was great for me considering in was playing blades from a garage sale before that. The quality wasn’t the best and several clubs broke within a year or 2 but I think I paid less than $250 for it (granted this was like 2007-2008). By the time they did break I was ready to get better clubs anyway. Rock Bottom Golf has some box sets that are pretty inexpensive. Plus with Facebook marketplace, eBay, callaway preowned, play it again sports, and other preowned sites they can build a decent set fairly inexpensive. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

My cousin just started and got the stix set and they look great. Also heard the costco or sams callaway edge set is great.   
most of us started with garage sale blades so id say anything modern will be nice. 

WITB

From your explanation Rob it sounds like they are probably going to spend more than the price of a complete set no matter how you guide them. More than likely "Big New Driver" will be on their mind. So maybe, let them have that. And then get them into some DTC irons/wedges. Find a happy medium that might save them a grand. They are probably going to switch to a newer set next season if they are the "trend followers" but at least they will know if they want to golf by then.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

My first set was a full bag set and it was a great way to get into the game if golf. Few years later I upgraded the iron, then the bug got me and I had a new driver and 3 wood shortly after.

Wedges and putter were the last to get swapped out.

For those wanting to get started into the game it is a great option and absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Companies like Cobra, Stix, BGD and more have very good full sets that are worth looking into and should perform well.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It’s not a bad way to get into the game.  They could also look at used clubs that are a few years old to get a better price.

With your thrifting ability @Rob Person, I’m sure you can find them something that will fit their budget!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I would agree with some statements above. If they want a full set there are many options that keep you under $1000 and plenty close to $600 that aren’t “box sets.”

If they are dead set on brands, global golf, CPO or eBay are the way to go and they can get some stuff 4-5 years old for a pretty good price. At the end of the day all you can do is recommend some options and then if they decide they wanna spend on all new gear with no research into it, it’s on them lol

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I'm just trying to show them an affordable way to get introduced to golf. I've pointed them to MGS as well. Will they join? Hopefully!

I appreciate the feedback and options presented.

Also this topic can maybe help new members here who are just starting out or maybe have not even bought their first set can gain some insight to options available to them.

Another strong set to consider is the Callaway Edge set exclusive to Costco. In store its about $549 without a bag, but right now Costco is selling a Sun Mountain bag for $129. Online they have more options like left hand, stiff shaft, women's, etc.

As some have said, component and build quality can be questionable even with some of the bigger name golf brands. The Top Flight and Wilson bag sets fit the price point and its hard for some to stomach used good over new meh if they don't know if they'll play again. A new set of super game improvement irons won't do much better for a first time golfer than that Top Flight bag set.

Edited by FightingScot82

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

17 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Great advice @Rob Person!!  Tell them to put their egos in their back pocket with their glove! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I played one before I had time to play more. It was a low investment for something I didn’t have a lot of time or money to do. I also learned I liked the game using that set so when the time came when I had the money and time I knew I was spending money for something I enjoyed.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft