Tips for Reshafting Irons from Graphite to Steel at Home...

I have been tinkering with all my golf clubs, from regripping to adjusting length, and have really loved the process and doing things on my own at home. I am looking to swap out my current irons' shafts (UST Mamiya Recoil 760ES Graphite) with my non-gaming irons' shafts (True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff). I love my current iron heads but miss the shafts on my old irons, especially since my swing speed has increase a bit. I would like to do this swap at home and be able to keep the graphite shafts in great enough condition to put on my old iron heads (would make a perfect set for my wife), but I do not have a shaft puller and have not been able to find anything super helpful online. Any suggestions/tips for doing this at home without ruining the graphite shafts? Or has anyone had any experience getting the irons pulled professionally?

Driver - PXG 0211 Gen4

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha B21

4 Hybrid - Wilson D9

7 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 921

7iron-PW - Srixon ZX5

Wedges - Takomo 52*, Vokey 56* & 60*

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11

12 minutes ago, wcgalley said:

I have been tinkering with all my golf clubs, from regripping to adjusting length, and have really loved the process and doing things on my own at home. I am looking to swap out my current irons' shafts (UST Mamiya Recoil 760ES Graphite) with my non-gaming irons' shafts (True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff). I love my current iron heads but miss the shafts on my old irons, especially since my swing speed has increase a bit. I would like to do this swap at home and be able to keep the graphite shafts in great enough condition to put on my old iron heads (would make a perfect set for my wife), but I do not have a shaft puller and have not been able to find anything super helpful online. Any suggestions/tips for doing this at home without ruining the graphite shafts? Or has anyone had any experience getting the irons pulled professionally?

You need a shaft puller; don’t do it without.   You could buy a commercial one or there are some DIY ones that will set you back about $30.   

Here’s an example 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can't agree with @cnosil enough on using at least a purpose-built shaft extractor. I've had great success when using my GolfWorks shaft extractor, but did suffer a couple of failures when trying to do driver shaft adapter swaps via a DIY / by hand process before I got this system.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You need a shaft puller; don’t do it without.   You could buy a commercial one or there are some DIY ones that will set you back about $30.   

Here’s an example 

Thank you so much! Definitely going to give this a try, I have a couple of old graphite clubs I will try with first. DIY for a DIY sounds like a weekend win.

Driver - PXG 0211 Gen4

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha B21

4 Hybrid - Wilson D9

7 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 921

7iron-PW - Srixon ZX5

Wedges - Takomo 52*, Vokey 56* & 60*

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11

shaft pullers cover a wide range of cost and applications. Such as high volume to "my one set" and all relate to the time you have to devote to the task.

For getting started there is a hydraulic. bench mount model for about $150 on ebay and it would do the job well. Bang for the buck this is the one to get for just about anyone.  In whatever you choose the clamp is as important as the method used to pull the head or shaft off the club. My favorite places to check out would be

Golf works

Golf Mechanix

Mitchell

for pulling shafts I have a few videos pull a shaft this is the latest one using mine which is not made anyone and 20 yrs ago went for over $800

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I just used my GolfWorks spring-loaded one to pull a head from an extra MMT125TX shaft I had to use in testing the P7MC PW head I have against my normal PW (48* MG4) and the just now put together and sitting in the garage curing Toura CB PW.  Yes, I plan to put those 3 to the test on the launch monitor at PGA SS tomorrow afternoon, since as usual, it was decent weather most of the week when I was stuck dealing with work and raining like we need a fleet of arks all weekend long.  Simulator golf might be all I play for the foreseeable future...