How Do You Feel About A “Practice”Clubs

I’ve been using a practice club for a month now and it’s definitely helped my ball striking/keeping me in check on my grip. I think I just need to change the shaft to the same shaft I have in my regular Iron.

Do you guys have practice clubs? Why or Why not.

regular iron-Takomo 101 Hollow Body

practice iron- Titleist 714 Muscle Back

IMG_8888.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

Driver- Cobra LTDX 9° Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue Stiff 60 G

3 Wood- Cobra LTDX 15° Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Stiff 60G

3 Hybrid-Cobra LTDX 19° KBS PGI Stiff 85 G

4-PW-Takomo 101 KBS C Taper Lite X Stiff 115G

Wedges- Mizuno T22 Blue Ion 60°,54°,50° Dynamic Gold S300

Putter-Mizuno MCraft V Blue Ion Claw 2.0 Superstroke Grip

Ball- Callaway Chrome Soft

Not really for me. There are plenty of ways to use practice techniques and equipment to help you develop routine etc (weghted clubs, smaller heads, whippy flexes, different grips to name but a few), but I always feel you may as well practice with the equipment you intend to use on course to ingrain that routine. The old mantra 'practice like you play - play like you practice' applies.

But hey - whatever works eh?

I’ve had one in the past,  only reason was because it was the exact club that I played and I found it in a bargain barrel for $5.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Jgomez I’m a bit confused about what benefits a practice club brings you. I practice with the same clubs I use on the course since it’s not just about the swing. I also learn my carry and total distances, see my ball flight which might be different with a different club, etc 

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

8 minutes ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Jgomez I’m a bit confused about what benefits a practice club brings you. I practice with the same clubs I use on the course since it’s not just about the swing. I also learn my carry and total distances, see my ball flight which might be different with a different club, etc 

Would appreciate your thoughts.

For me it’s definitely not a full range session with it just a tool for me to know I have my grip correct/ easier to know what contact you’re making with the least forgiving club. I try my best to use it as a way to understand my checkpoints better. yea you can still tell when you hit the toe or heel with any other club but that’s super feed back as the sweet spot is smaller on blades. I think the mistake I’ve made is not having the same shaft I have in my regular clubs which I’m looking to get soon.

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ve had one in the past,  only reason was because it was the exact club that I played and I found it in a bargain barrel for $5.   

Did you use a grip trainer as well? Or was just an extra one you didn’t mind beating up a bit

6 hours ago, jaskanski said:

Not really for me. There are plenty of ways to use practice techniques and equipment to help you develop routine etc (weghted clubs, smaller heads, whippy flexes, different grips to name but a few), but I always feel you may as well practice with the equipment you intend to use on course to ingrain that routine. The old mantra 'practice like you play - play like you practice' applies.

But hey - whatever works eh?

Yea it’s not a full range session club but definitely can keep me in check. Just as a little reminder of grip and knowing exactly where I’m making contact. I definitely need to get the same shaft as the ones in my regular irons. The practice club is a stiff while my irons have X-Stiff

59 minutes ago, Mulligan09 said:

I use a Momentus.  Training grip, heavy weight warms u up, gets your iron swing grooved. Have used it over 10 yrs

Yeah I have a small heavy weighted club with grip trainer to swing in the house as for before a round I do 2 clubs in hand, orange whip or the super speed sticks depending on how I’m feeling. As orange whip is more for tempo and super stick is more for I got my swing down but wouldn’t mind a little more speed

35 minutes ago, Jgomez said:

Did you use a grip trainer as well? Or was just an extra one you didn’t mind beating up a bit

No grip trainer.  Just one to use to minimize wear on my gamers

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use something called IGotchaready it’s a weight you put on the club and swing it in different positions on the shaft just to loosen up. I also have an orange whip I use at the course before I hit just to get tempo. I feel these have helped with my swing and tempo.

I yes Orange whip to work on tempo, swing pace/speed and overall balance. I do the same thing with Lag shot iron. Both give tremendous feedback on tempo, balance and where I release the club.

FDC

Posted (edited)

I bought a Wilson Staff 7-iron years ago from Golf Galaxy for $10.  Former demo club.  It's very much a player's cavity back.  FG Tour?  Not sure what the model is but it's considerably smaller and thinner than my JPX-850's.

I use it to groove my swing when I hit into the net in my backyard.  In fact, it lives in the shed next to my net.  I find it especially helpful early in the golf season to get everything back to where it needs to be.  After I get a couple dozen shots that have that smooth contact where the ball feels like it's really springing off the sweet spot, I switch to my gamers.

I assume the swingweight and lie angles are different between it and my gamer 7, but they're close enough that it doesn't seem to throw me off when I switch.

Edited by Brooky03

As a youngster, I switch hit in baseball, meaning that as a right hand thrower, I batted left- handed most of the time.   Lefty pitchers weren't that many in number.

I would love to understand why hitting a ball standing still on the ground with the opposite dexterity is harder that hitting an only slightly larger ball coming at 70 or 80 miles an hour .

It is, though, at least for me.  

7 hours ago, Jgomez said:

For me it’s definitely not a full range session with it just a tool for me to know I have my grip correct/ easier to know what contact you’re making with the least forgiving club. I try my best to use it as a way to understand my checkpoints better. yea you can still tell when you hit the toe or heel with any other club but that’s super feed back as the sweet spot is smaller on blades. I think the mistake I’ve made is not having the same shaft I have in my regular clubs which I’m looking to get soon.

Spray the face with foot powder spray on your regular clubs. It will tell you exactly where you hit it.

theres no guarantee having the same shaft in your practice club as your gamer will have any positive effect and could actually have a negative effect because of feel, balance and how that affects the swing.

Not to mention the vcog is probably different and that affects ball flight.

But even knowing where the ball hit on the face only tells part of the story. You have to know what caused that contact and if it’s bad how to fix it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For practice at the range - I do have an extra approx half set of clubs that I use - mostly to save wear and tear on my gamer clubs and grips, plus I find it convenient to carry the smaller, lighter bag.

For me, with the understanding that it's not for everybody, but for me having non-gamer practice clubs works just fine .. especially considering the range is mats and old worn limited flight range balls (so nothing like on course conditions).

Practice set includes...

• Putter - while, yes, different but still one which could easily substitute for my gamer.
  • LW, SW - I practice with wedges a lot for contact, distance control and trajectory. LW and SW lofts are same as gamers; shafts are different. So is spin gonna be different? Yes, but range grass is nothing like greens grass and range balls are nothing like the gamer balls.
  • PW - loft is right in-between gamer PW-GW lofts but hey I'm ok with that. I'm working on swing technique and aim & alignment .. hitting the ball towards a target.
  • 7i - is *approximately* close to the gamer .. GI head, same L-L-L, similar Recoil shaft model with same flex and weight. Good enough to work on technique and hitting towards targets.
  • 4H - different model than gamer but same loft and similar shaft (head, shaft same as gamer 5H). 
  • Driver - except for nominal loft completely different vs gamer. Is this really hurting me? I don't know, and I don't think so, but I know I'd rather bash range balls with a non-gamer. Again - focus is on swing technique and trying to get the ball to fly straight-ish downrange.

Practice clubs, aka swing trainers / training aids - yep got plenty of those, too! 😄

Really like the Orange Whips and recently added a Lag Shot 7i which has been helpful.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

10 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

For practice at the range - I do have an extra approx half set of clubs that I use - mostly to save wear and tear on my gamer clubs and grips, plus I find it convenient to carry the smaller, lighter bag.

For me, with the understanding that it's not for everybody, but for me having non-gamer practice clubs works just fine .. especially considering the range is mats and old worn limited flight range balls (so nothing like on course conditions).

Practice set includes...

• Putter - while, yes, different but still one which could easily substitute for my gamer.
  • LW, SW - I practice with wedges a lot for contact, distance control and trajectory. LW and SW lofts are same as gamers; shafts are different. So is spin gonna be different? Yes, but range grass is nothing like greens grass and range balls are nothing like the gamer balls.
  • PW - loft is right in-between gamer PW-GW lofts but hey I'm ok with that. I'm working on swing technique and aim & alignment .. hitting the ball towards a target.
  • 7i - is *approximately* close to the gamer .. GI head, same L-L-L, similar Recoil shaft model with same flex and weight. Good enough to work on technique and hitting towards targets.
  • 4H - different model than gamer but same loft and similar shaft (head, shaft same as gamer 5H). 
  • Driver - except for nominal loft completely different vs gamer. Is this really hurting me? I don't know, and I don't think so, but I know I'd rather bash range balls with a non-gamer. Again - focus is on swing technique and trying to get the ball to fly straight-ish downrange.

Practice clubs, aka swing trainers / training aids - yep got plenty of those, too! 😄

Really like the Orange Whips and recently added a Lag Shot 7i which has been helpful.

Yeah I’m thinking of trying to find “practice” set maybe blades to get the ball striking feedback ik people say the spray works just fine but I want it to be hard to hit as well. Plus I hate having to check lofts and lies after hitting on mats so much, I would do toptracer practice so mats 2 times a week for a year so you could imagine how much lie angle and loft changed. I would def love to have “beaters” 

Practice set includes...

Yeah I’m thinking of trying to find “practice” set maybe blades to get the ball striking feedback ik people say the spray works just fine but I want it to be hard to hit as well. Plus I hate having to check lofts and lies after hitting on mats so much, I would do toptracer practice so mats 2 times a week for a year so you could imagine how much lie angle and loft changed. I would def love to have “beaters” 

Practice set includes...

Practice set includes...

Practice set includes...

I have a pgm whip stick I use to warm up/stretch with.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I actually practice with a a Mizuno MP 14   4 iron ( a very old and small headed blade) to work on the clubface staying square to my posture on the take away ,in my back swing . If I do not , this club will definitely tell on me . I have a tendency to flare open the clubface on my take away from the golf ball, which causes all kinds of issues for me , such as the heel hitting first at the ball and causing pushes or toe hooks. I had one of the better players at the course recommend this to me and it has definitely changed my game .

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

On 5/3/2024 at 7:38 AM, FDC said:

I yes Orange whip to work on tempo, swing pace/speed and overall balance. I do the same thing with Lag shot iron. Both give tremendous feedback on tempo, balance and where I release the club.

How do you like these? Would you prefer one over the other or feel that both are a good combo? 
How and when do you typically use them?

D - Ping 430 10k

i - Callaway Apex 21

w - Volkey SM9

P - Evnroll ER5

On 5/4/2024 at 7:33 AM, cksurfdude said:

Practice set includes...

If I had unlimited funds I would certainly do this with wedges. Have a gamer set and a practice set that are matched spec for spec. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 5/3/2024 at 10:38 AM, FDC said:

FDC

I use both to warm up and get tuned into my body feel. The 2 goals for me are more shoulder turn/less arms and hands involvement in my swing as well as to swing slower and be patient to let the club come thru the bottom. Both tools help with this. I will use these tools prior to a range session, I have not used them to warm up before a round but think that would also be a good idea.

FDC

On 5/4/2024 at 9:33 PM, Jgomez said:

The golf swing is very complicated and golf is a game that can’t be mastered. Why would you want to make it even harder? 

The best players in the world are trying to make it easier, wouldn’t it make sense to try and make things easier if the best in the world are trying to 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have used a lot in the past.  To build a swing when I was too stubborn to take lessons.  Lessons were better.  I definitely use certain practicers after each injury and surgery, to rebuild muscles.  I had abdom / hip issue, due to my spine curve.  I took an old wedge, added 2 inches to it, swing weight around E 1, and used it to rebuild the muscles: lats, obliques, glute MEDIUS, hip flexors, and erector spinae.   And at age 69 with arthritis in thumbs, knees, and big toe, go to a Titleist TPI cert. physical therapist for specific practice.  And for fun, practice sometime with a forged blade 6 or 7 iron.  And a practice wedge to save the grooves on my preciously beloved Mizuno GFF wedges.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I was thinking about this as well recently seeing that I am a tart and like to keep my new clubs nice. I managed to score a brand new Srixon ZX7 MKII 5 iron with the same shaft as my main set (Nippon Modus Tour 120s) and grip (Tour Velvet White) so going to use that for the driving range, warming and for working on my swing at home. Going to get my Pro shop to adjust the lie to match my ZX5 MKII 5 iron as well. I think as long as your Lie Angle, Lofts and shafts match your main set then I don't see an issue.

Alex

WITB 2024

Woods - Cobra LTDx 10.5* Driver (Standard Setting with Mitsubishi Tensi 65g Stiff), Cobra LTDx 16.5* 3 Wood (Standard Setting with Mitsubishi Tensi 75g Stiff)

Hybrid - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4 21* Hybrid (Accra FX Gen 3 300H M4)

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-GW (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff, 1* Weak Loft, Flat)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM10 Tour Chrome 56.10S,  60.08M (Nippon Modus Tour 125 Stiff, 1.5* Flat)

Putter - L.A.B Golf Link 1 (33", 69* lie)

Ball - Srixon Z Star Diamond