Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tyk's Bag

Just got some new (used) irons. Picked up some MP-58s for $200, they look like they've never been hit, except for the 6-iron that has a nasty gouge in it, I think the guy must have gouged it in the first week and ditched the whole set! On the prowl for a MP-58 6 iron!

So now the setup is:

Driver: Ping I20 8.5*, Aldila NV 65g S

Hybrids: Adams XTD Super 15* Fubuki S (stock shaft)
Adams DHY 21* Ozik White Tie S (stock shaft)

Irons: 
4,5,6,7,8- Mizuno MP-58 Fujikura MCI 100 S 
42*, 46*, 50*, 54*, 58* SCOR Golf, KBS SCOR-Genius Stiff shafts

Grips: Lamkin 3Gen Permawrap ACE on the woods and irons, SCOR Lamkin 3Gen on the SCOR wedges.

Gear: Skycaddie SGX, ClicGear 2.0, SunMountain C30 Bag, Seamus Golf headcover.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Nice haul on the irons! You could always just buy a six on ebay and switch the shafts out, I saw one on there for 40 bucks and free shipping.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I was just searching ebay and didn't see a 6! If you wouldn't mind finding it and posting a link I'd appreciate it!

I was just searching ebay and didn't see a 6! If you wouldn't mind finding it and posting a link I'd appreciate it!

No problem, as long as you don't tell anyone else about me fraternizing with a tiger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIZUNO-MP-58-6-IRON-STEEL-STIFF-FLEX-/330837289496?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4d07706a18

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Thanks jayhawker, and don't worry, what happens on MGS stays on MGS, right?!

I'll get some pics next time I'm on the course wd, my camera takes crappy pics inside.

• 2 months later...

Just got fitted for some new iron shafts, I've been struggling with the Rifle 6.0's, losing shots to the right and just wasn't getting any pop with them. Was leaning toward KBS, but ended up going to Golf MD for a fitting and am getting Fujikura MCI 100's in Stiff flex put in! They were pretty pricey at $70/club but I'm only doing my 8-4 irons and keeping my SCOR wedges, PW, and 9i with the KBS/SCOR Genius shaft. I don't think that will be a problem as I've always had different shafts in my wedges, if it is, I will get them replaced later.

Mike at Golf MD was great as always. Best feeling and performing shafts for me came down the SteelFibers and the MCI, I was getting better smash factor and flight with the Fujikuras so decided to go for it! Can't wait to get them!

I forgot to tell you guys! I discovered that my new grips were non conforming! I recently bought some Lamkin 3Gen Permawrap Classic grips and love them! When I took them in Mike said "those are great grips, you know they aren't conforming?" I hoped he was wrong but an email exchange with Lamkin confirmed he was right! I have an email in to Golfworks as Lamkin indicated the retailer should exchange them, as much as I hate to resume the grip search I'm can't play with non-conforming stuff. I think it's unlikely anyone would notice, but I would know, and it simply isn't worth it.

......as much as I hate to resume the grip search.....

Have you tried the PURE Pro? I got mine from being MOM a while back and I absolutely love them!

On a side note....I didn't even know grips can be non conforming?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I didn't either! There is a limit on how deep the "wrap" grooves can be, or actually the difference in diameter between the high and low points on the wrap line. Lamkin exceeded that limit with the 3Gen Tour Classics. You can feel the slight difference between these and other wraps though, which is what I liked about them. I have some Pure grips that I haven't installed, I don't know what they are, they were the ones in the Ebay thread that were $1 apiece. They don't feel like something I'm going to like but I may give them a test drive. I may try the new version of the Lamkin 3Gen wraps as well, I just don't know yet.

1362002949[/url]' post='93021']

Just got fitted for some new iron shafts, I've been struggling with the Rifle 6.0's, losing shots to the right and just wasn't getting any pop with them. Was leaning toward KBS, but ended up going to Golf MD for a fitting and am getting Fujikura MCI 100's in Stiff flex put in! They were pretty pricey at $70/club but I'm only doing my 8-4 irons and keeping my SCOR wedges, PW, and 9i with the KBS/SCOR Genius shaft. I don't think that will be a problem as I've always had different shafts in my wedges, if it is, I will get them replaced later.

Mike at Golf MD was great as always. Best feeling and performing shafts for me came down the SteelFibers and the MCI, I was getting better smash factor and flight with the Fujikuras so decided to go for it! Can't wait to get them!

I had not heard of the Fuji mci before this week and now I've heard about them twice. I'm supposed to have a set on the way. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of yours.

What made you go with graphite? Results/numbers, feel, or both?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have some Pure grips that I haven't installed, ..... They don't feel like something I'm going to like but I may give them a test drive.

The funny thing about the Pure Grips, I got some as MOM. I was unimpressed with them when I got them and went many months with out using them. Then I got the black shafts and black heads and red ferrules that all matched these grips. I built them up thinking I would change them to a grip I liked at some point. However, once I mounted them and played them I grew to like them. They were totally different on the shaft.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well, I got the best numbers with the MCI which made it hard to argue with, but I might not have gone with something that pricey if they just hadn't felt so good! Neither these nor the SteelFiber (my 2nd best numbers) really felt like graphite at all in the swing, they don't have that whippy wobble in the tip when you shake them that every graphite club seems to have, and they are heavy compared to standard graphite, especially the MCI. They are noticeably lighter than standard steel though which I liked. I could really feel the clubhead through the swing which was very different than the Rifle 6.0 which for me had almost nothing going for it and felt terrible at impact even when I hit a good shot. At impact, the MCI felt like graphite in that it was very clean, no vibration, it just felt solid. I hope I like them as much as I think I'm going to!

The explanation on the MCI technology as I understand it is that there is a steel core that starts several inches below the grip down into the clubhead that achieves the tip stiffness while the graphite outer accounts for the feel.

That is good to hear Rick, makes me a feel a little better about losing my new gamers so soon! Since I got nothing else and they were only $1 each I will probably be installing them next. They are black and gold which makes me really want to like them!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Hey, yeah! That's where I got the ones I have, they were $2, not $1, I knew they were super cheap! Funny though, these Lamkins are actually the first wraps I've ever owned, I've never preferred them before, although I've played a couple Golf Pride Tour Wraps I don't really like them. I think I'm going to play the Lamkins until tournament season starts if I can't return them.

Well, this Lamkin grip debacle is getting kind of interesting! As I said, I received a message from a customer service rep at Lamkin saying that the grips were deemed non-conforming by the USGA and that the reseller should exchange the grips or give me credit for them. I then took the issue up with GolfWorks, the reseller. The GolfWorks rep says that their CEO as a result of my email has verified with both the USGA and Lamkin that an agreement was reached between the USGA and Lamkin that while the grips were deemed non-conforming by the USGA, in exchange for Lamkin agreeing to stop manufacturing and selling the grips that all grips purchased before Dec. 31st 2012 would be allowed.

GolfWorks called me to relay this information and I have requested that they either provide me with some verification that this is the case or get me touch with the appropriate person at Lamkin or the USGA to verify that this is in fact the case!

I find this pretty interesting as it kind of shows a behind the scenes look at how the rules are enforced and how deals are made between the USGA and equipment manufactures, and really shows how confusing this stuff can be! I STILL don't know for sure if these grips are ok!

Very interesting!!

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Ok, well this is the latest from Lamkin about this:

"In late 2011 the USGA developed a new measurement system for wrap grips and it was determined that the PW Classic did not conform. Since it was too late to remove this grip from our 2012 line-up, the USGA allowed us to continue the grip for 2012 and we agreed to remove the grip family from our 2013 catalog. Amateur golfers playing in USGA events needed to remove the grips from their clubs by the end of 2012. I double checked with our VP of Sales and to our knowledge their is no agreement between Lamkin and the USGA allowing people to continue to use this grip if they were purchased prior to 1/1/13. If you play in USGA events, I would definitely recommend removing the grips and replacing them with a conforming model to avoid any issues. We just released the PW ACE grips this year which would be the closest replacement to the PW Classic grips. I would be happy to send you a set of these if you want to go ahead and give me your address."

I can't complain about that. It sucks that I'm losing the grips I liked, but at least I get to try the new ones. I think that's really good customer service from Lamkin, they didn't have to step up and replace them, but I'm happy they did! I'm just glad it was noticed before I accidentally won a tournament or something and got DQ'd!

That's good that lamkin will send you a replacement set. Good thing you fitter knew his sh*t

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'm just glad it was noticed before I accidentally won a tournament or something and got DQ'd!

No kidding!!!

I think that's really good customer service from Lamkin, they didn't have to step up and replace them, but I'm happy they did!
See....that is exactly what customer service should be! Very cool of them to send you new ones.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

• 2 months later...

So I've been switching the driver quite a bit lately trying to figure out what my gamer is going to be. I started the year with the R11s but really wasn't feeling it. I wasn't hitting the ball well at the time either so it probably had little to do with the club, but I switched by to my R9 SuperDeep and things improved so I've been playing it for a month or so. Had the thought that if I wasn't going to play the R11s I should move it along before TM completely devalued it seeing as it has already had two price drops since I won the thing in October! To make a long story short(er) I believe I may have traded the R11s for a Ping i20. I swapped with a guy in my Wed. league a couple weeks ago and I've put the Ping in play a few times with mostly positive results. I think distance wise it is pretty close to the R9, maybe a bit shorter, I seem to play a bit of fade or straight with the Ping whereas the R9 tends to draw a bit or go straight. The Ping seems to be a more forgiving club, and I don't seem to be getting as many of what I call "big misses" with it. I definitely prefer the look of the Ping over the R11s, the white never really did much for me. Only downside is that I really don't seem to be able to get the ball to turn over and draw with it. I can get crazy and rip off a snap hook, but a draw doesn't seem to be part of it's repertoire. I think I can live with that, the little fade I get is kind of a fun change of pace and doesn't seem to be taking any distance off. I just think if I could get the ball to draw I'd be gaining some yardage, but I could be wrong.

damn.....glad I'm not the only one who changes my bag as often as my underwear :P

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

damn.....glad I'm not the only one who changes my bag as often as my underwear :P

Man, that is so NOT right! :angry: Until I met this group, I'd played the same irons for 4 seasons, the same putter for 6, my driver for 2 and my wedges for 2!

Now, I got new stuff everywhere and my wife is getting suspicious every time I say "no really hon, I won it at MGS!"

Hi Tyk. I'm interested in the MCI shafts and currently have the Steelfibers. Will you compare the feel of the two shafts (at impact)? The one thing that I love about the Steelfibers is that it does not feel super muted (at impact) as most graphite iron shafts do. I still get the shock absorption of graphite but also the good vibration/feedback from hitting a well-struck shot with a forged club. How do the MCI's feel? Muted or do you get more feedback like the Steelfibers? Thanks for your help.

Hey Joey, welcome to MGS!

I'm certainly no expert so take this for what it's worth! During my fitting I was putting the MCI side by side with the Steelfibers, I have to say that I found the feel to be really similar, almost indistinguishable. What you say about your SteelFibers is pretty much exactly what I think about my MCI's, they mute all the bad vibration and harshness but I can still completely feel where I'm at on contact. I chose the MCI over the SF because I was getting better launch numbers with the MCI. Had it been the opposite, I'd be gaming the SF. I would not consider switching based on feel because I don't think you'll find much difference. Plus, the MCI were $20 apiece more than the SF, which themselves aren't cheap!

Man, that is so NOT right! :angry: Until I met this group, I'd played the same irons for 4 seasons, the same putter for 6, my driver for 2 and my wedges for 2!

Now, I got new stuff everywhere and my wife is getting suspicious every time I say "no really hon, I won it at MGS!"

LMAO. Don't sweat it. I changed the bag 6 times over the winter without playing a single round :rolleyes:

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

LOL. :D And you think you're in trouble. Mine gives me a complete

interrogation everytime I even bring up the subject of new clubs. B)

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 9.0 - Miyazaki C. Kua 43 (S)

Fw Wood: Maruman F3 Shuttle 15* - Roddio Pentacross W-5 BA (S)

Fw Wood: Tourstage 2008 ViQ 19* - Ns Pro GT700 (X)

Hybrid: Nakashima NX1 22* - Pured Fujikura TOUR SPEC Speeder 904HB (X)

Irons: Mizuno MP63 - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedge: Mizuno MP T-11 50* - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedges: Epon 210KGX 54*, 58* - Shimada Wedge shaft

Putter: Seemore DB4

Grips: Iomic & Lamkin

Bag: OnOff OB0010 Shingo Katayama limited Tour Bag

Bag: Adidas Japan Tour Bag

Ball: Nike Vapor

Archived