Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Where's the love?

revkev

I'm curious about all the hate for white drivers and fairway woods?

Is there a reason beyond, "I don't like the way it looks?"

Mind you that's a good enough reason but I'm just curious if there is anything else.

Before I had one I was neutral, now that I have one I can't imagine not having it on my next driver, my eyes truly appreciate the lack of glare.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think most of the hate comes from white because of Tmag and how their marketing tends to be a bit crazy at times.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Rev, matte black doesn't glare either. It's not the white, it's the matte. I use a white driver, and its because I can't find anything that will outperform it for ME. And trust me, I've tried (more than 2 dozen times). The color doesn't matter to me, if it performs, it could be tie dyed.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Rev, matte black doesn't glare either. It's not the white, it's the matte. I use a white driver, and its because I can't find anything that will outperform it for ME. And trust me, I've tried (more than 2 dozen times). The color doesn't matter to me, if it performs, it could be tie dyed.

Could not agree more. I was against the white for a long time and then I hit an RBZ 3 wood and the performance that I got from it made me completely forget about the color of the head.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

No hate for the white here. I've got an R11s and a Stage 2, although neither are in the bag right now. Spent all that money on heads and Kiyoshi shafts and the thing that is performing best for me right now is an Adams F11 with a Grafalloy BiMatrix. Spent a grand total of about $120 on it and painted it blue.

Originally I liked the white better because it was different than anything else out there. Now everyone seems to have white so I had to go a different direction so my driver doesn't blend in with the crowd.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Richard,

You're over thinking touch-up paint bro. White out is the best touch up paint in the world for the TMag White.

Mine has yet to chip and the SFTP 2.0 has at least 150 rounds on it. I'm obsessive too lol. And I'd strip and repaint if it chipped. That said I've gotten a few in that were chipped and to try them out, the White Out trick works like a champ.

And yes, I was one of the ones hating on the white when the R11 first came out... Until I hit it. Had to eat my quote of "I'd throw up if I had to look down at that white". That R11 flat performed. The 2.0 v2 LCG just flat performs. Now I could care less what color my clubs are. I have 2 white, 1 red, a single stainless 2 utility, black irons, a black ox wedge, an antiques wedge, a raw rusty wedge, a copper wedge a stainless putter and a copper mini on the way.lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't mind white but I prefer black any day. Even the silver color of companies like Adams and Callaway is a lot better than straight up white. Plus if you have a white hybrid and possibly a fairway, those can get dirty really fast from hitting out of the rough.

They do get dirty no doubt and Richard is right they show wear quicker than black but I have no issues with glare what so ever even with the discoloration - that's all I care about.

I will say I never had an issue with glare until I moved to Florida - the sun down here is a different animal than it was in the Midwest or the Northeast.

For me it's always been about the performance - I had some model of Mizuno that looked like a pancake and sounded worse but I could hit the thing so it was in my bag for about 2 years.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not a fan of the white just because I've gotten used to black. I also think the white makes the club head look bigger and I prefer the look of a smaller club head.

Since we are talking durability lets talk about something way worse than white and that is the black metal club faces and soles. Those club faces and soles look worse after 1 trip to the range than the old bear metal looked after a year, especially with hybrids and fairways. . It drives me crazy. Pay all this money for a club and the face looks used after the first time you play it.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Archived