Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wow... Just wow... We're all (likely) lawbreakers...

RookieBlue7

Rev, Foz, JaxBeach... Good thing we didn't throw any cash in on the round...

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/golf/gamble-on-golf-beware-of-police-visit/2168716

This is just childish on the employee's part that reported this.

Text:

TARPON SPRINGS — Like most Saturdays, the group of golfers gathered at the Tarpon Springs Golf Course for its weekly league.

And like most Saturdays, at this course and courses around the country, the round involved a few side wagers.

Until Feb. 8.

As the group of golfers walked to the clubhouse that morning, it was greeted by general manager Chuck Winship.

No more betting in league play, said Winship, revealing he was under investigation by Tarpon Springs police.

"Originally," Winship said, "I thought it was joke." Then he learned the case has been forwarded to the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office.

Winship told members that morning that if they wanted to play a regular round of golf, fine. But if they wanted to put up the usual $20, to be divided afterward based on how they play, they would have to go elsewhere.

The prospect of law enforcement overseeing the pervasive and somewhat perfunctory routine of golf wagers seemed peculiar, if not pointless, a pair of legal experts said.

"On the Richter scale of crime, this has got to be in the minus," said Bob Dekle, a professor at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. "I don't see a prosecutor being wildly enthusiastic about prosecuting the case unless there are thousands and thousands of dollars being bet."

Tarpon Springs police spokesman Capt. Jeffrey Young said his officers were investigating the potential violation of two state statutes: keeping a gambling house and game promotion in connection with the sale of consumer products or services.

Although a suspect could violate either statute without profiting from the gambling, Dekle still believed a prosecutor would be reluctant to present the case to jury, at least given the information police have provided thus far.

Winship estimates that about 14 leagues play at the course weekly. The Saturday morning league averages between 30 and 40 players per week. The formats vary, but essentially golfers pay the normal green fees and cart fees, then put in extra money to be divided at the end of the round.

Golfers might get a portion of the pot for lowest round, closest to the pin or lowest score on a hole.

"Every golf course in this country does it, and why they singled out this golf course I'll never know," said group member Ray Hamil, 78.

"You call any course you want (about gambling leagues) and they will all tell you the same thing, and if they don't, I'll buy you the biggest steak in the state."

Jeff Hollis, director of golf at Mangrove Bay Golf Course in St. Petersburg, said his course hosts summer leagues and several groups during the winter.

"I'm sure people at every course in America play for a Coke or whatever," Hollis said. "What we do is provide the tee times; what they do after that is up to them."

The investigation was sparked, Winship said, by a letter written to the Tarpon Springs police by a former employee, Ron Moxom.

The letter apparently pointed out the gambling going on at the course. A public records request by theTampa Bay Times for the letter was denied because the case is still under investigation.

"It is an ongoing criminal investigation at this point," Young said. "I don't expect it to be a long, drawn-out thing. I know it was started by a letter we received."

Moxom could not be reached for comment.

For two weeks after Winship's announcement, the course hosted no league activity.

But the leagues since have been given permission to resume under certain stipulations.

In a letter sent to Winship on Feb. 21 by Tarpon Springs City Manager Mark LeCouris, Winship was told he could continue hosting leagues under two conditions:

For one, no golf course employees or volunteers can participate in league administration or operation.

Second, "For all participants, per state statutes, entry fees cannot specifically make up the prizes or purses contested for."

That means prizes or purses must be predetermined before play, and not by how much money ends up in the pot.

"We've found a way to play,'' Winship said.

The legal experts were also perplexed about why an investigation remained necessary if, in fact, the gambling has stopped.

"Why carry this thing on?" said Bruce Jacob, Stetson University College of Law professor. "It seems silly to keep it going if they've agreed to change."

As for what happened in early February, Winship, 64, is still under investigation.

"Every day that goes by without hearing anything gets more nerve-racking," Winship said. "It's just dangling over my head. It's driving me crazy."

Times staff writer John Woodrow Cox contributed to this report.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I agree, wow, wow, wow, what a waste of Taxpayers' money!   Angela Corey must be involved somewhere in this...

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

This is the craziest and I do mean the craziest thing that I've ever heard of before.  If you recall Rookie we did play for lunch so I suppose we have to plead guilty as charged.  Given that our two groups included, two attorneys, three ministers and a judge I'm guessing we might do alright were we to go to trial.

Oh and don't forget that we would have the press on our side in this one as well. :)

My buddy's wife is the CEO of Al Jazeer America - and before I have to read the traitor comments watch the news on it sometime - far and away the most objective reporting out there plus - its based in Qatar which is a US Ally not enemy and it was a great career move for her - she was stuck as the number 2 or 3 person at ABC news.

I'm sure that Kate would be very objective in reporting this story also.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ok, You can owe me...

http://youtu.be/e5u7yZiV3bI

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I just came home from being a character witness in court. I prefer this judge. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Beat me to it, buddy. But I owe you nothing!

Come on....  While we're young!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

First, WOW, secondly, there is much more here than is being reported and finally, Al Jazeer can't be any more biased than CNN or CSNBC, lol

Have a great week Gents/Gals :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

Richard

And that's their point.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Asinine. What a waste of time and resources.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

It's exactly this kind of BS that makes the average citizen get fed up with government getting involved in stuff they shouldn't be. Seriously... this is what they spend our tax money on. By the time they are done, they'll have spent more tax money on this than the amount of money wagered over the next freaking decade.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

It is pretty simple, individuals can bet any amount of money on what ever they want as long as the winners get all of the money.  It is perfectly legal for everyone to put $10 (any amount) of money into a pot and the winner gets to take the pot.  It does not matter who holds the pot.  It is another matter if the winner does not make all the money.  Say they win $9 per person, and the person that held the pot keeps a buck.  If the proshop is keeping even a penny then they are running a gambling house and must be licensed and fall under the jurisdiction of the states gaming commission.

We have a Wednesday Night Scramble.  It cost $15 to play.  $5 goes to the club for dinner.  $10 goes to the winner.  However, if you do not play in the scramble, you can still have dinner for $5.  All the money is paid to the same people but they divide it up but since the person collecting the money is not making anything off of it then it is not illegal.  There is a Wednesday Night Poker Game after the scramble but since the club makes nothing off of the pots, just drink sales, then it is legal also.

Apparently, this club was keeping some for themselves.  Of course they will not admit to it because that would be admission of a crime so they are going to say they are singled out unfairly, but if there was no evidence of this then the police would not be pursuing this. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If you are collecting money for bets and making money for your trouble than yes you are guilty of this.  If all money goes to the winners it is not illegal.

Just wow! It goes to show that that the freedoms of this country are going to Hell in a handbasket. Wow can they not catch any crack dealers?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It is pretty simple, individuals can bet any amount of money on what ever they want as long as the winners get all of the money. It is perfectly legal for everyone to put $10 (any amount) of money into a pot and the winner gets to take the pot. It does not matter who holds the pot. It is another matter if the winner does not make all the money. Say they win $9 per person, and the person that held the pot keeps a buck. If the proshop is keeping even a penny then they are running a gambling house and must be licensed and fall under the jurisdiction of the states gaming commission.

We have a Wednesday Night Scramble. It cost $15 to play. $5 goes to the club for dinner. $10 goes to the winner. However, if you do not play in the scramble, you can still have dinner for $5. All the money is paid to the same people but they divide it up but since the person collecting the money is not making anything off of it then it is not illegal. There is a Wednesday Night Poker Game after the scramble but since the club makes nothing off of the pots, just drink sales, then it is legal also.

Apparently, this club was keeping some for themselves. Of course they will not admit to it because that would be admission of a crime so they are going to say they are singled out unfairly, but if there was no evidence of this then the police would not be pursuing this.

If you read it, they were doing exactly what you described. Taking up $20 and paying all money out. They're being investigated for it.

My course does the same thing. Weekly men's golf league $10 for the points game, $10 for skins. Divided to top 3 and skins depends on how many were awarded as to how many ways it splits. It'd be illegal even if all money is paid out because of state laws.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you read it, they were doing exactly what you described. Taking up $20 and paying all money out. They're being investigated for it.

My course does the same thing. Weekly men's golf league $10 for the points game, $10 for skins. Divided to top 3 and skins depends on how many were awarded as to how many ways it splits. It'd be illegal even if all money is paid out because of state laws.

I did read it and what is being investigated is whatever was alleged by the former employee.  That is the problem.  We do not know what Moxem said happened, only that he reported something to the police and they investigated it.  They then turned over their findings to the prosecutor, who may or may not choose to act.  This coincides with my understanding of how the process works.  The police investigate an allegation and the prosecutor decides what to do with it.  Even if the allegation is BS.   

Every club I've ever been a part of arranges some sort of game - they normally don't handle the money but they arrange the game - regardless this is an impossible waste of resources.  You have to think there is way, way more to the story than what we are seeing.  At least you have to hope that there is.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived