Sign in to follow this  
jlukes

RIP Ben Hogan Golf

This is sad to me.I love my PTx irons. Such a well made club. I think they priced themselves out of a lot of peoples bags. A real shame. 

Confirmed -- pretty sad news.  Laid off 100% of its staff - no word on whether the company will shut down permanently, but it sure doesn't look good.

Some inside dope here...

https://www.mygolfspy.com/ben-hogan-lays-off-100-of-workforce/

• Like 3

Sad news for the employees and the brand, but in all honesty the Hogan name probably lost anything it had some time ago.

Sure, it made some great clubs back in the day and maybe it had it's fair share of fans right up to the present day - but it is (or was) a classic example of how not to run a golf business in the modern era. 

If it's any consolation, I'm glad it didn't go the same way as Lynx, Macgregor, Ram etc. and churn out junk.

• Like 1

So... did Terry Koehler leave because he saw it coming, or did BHG go under because TK left??

• Like 1

As a fan of Hogan - both old and new - this is beyond disappointing.  It's a tough environment for any OEM who isn't one of the Fab 5 (Cally, TM, PING, Cobra, Titleist) to be heard. Once you get beyond the next tier -- Mizzy, PXG, Wilson, Bridgestone - it's almost impossible.  You become white noise in a market that requires buzz.

• Like 1

So... did Terry Koehler leave because he saw it coming, or did BHG go under because TK left??

It's my guess that TK leaving was, to be kind, mutual.

• Like 1

As a fan of Hogan - both old and new - this is beyond disappointing.  It's a tough environment for any OEM who isn't one of the Fab 5 (Cally, TM, PING, Cobra, Titleist) to be heard. Once you get beyond the next tier -- Mizzy, PXG, Wilson, Bridgestone - it's almost impossible.  You become white noise in a market that requires buzz.

I wonder if PXG cut into their business more than any of the others, being another 'premium' brand that created more buzz than they did (endorsements)

• Like 1

I wonder if PXG cut into their business more than any of the others, being another 'premium' brand that created more buzz than they did (endorsements)

They had a weird spot kind of in the middle - priced between PXG, Miura, Honma and other premium brands, and above Cally, TM, PING, Titleist, etc -- kind of a no man's land

The point is, PXG was a completely new brand that pitched itself against top names with a unique selling point. 

Hogan was an ageing dinosaur that offered nothing other than nostalgia. Even if millions of $$$ were pumped into the Hogan brand, it would have struggled to make a mark in todays sales.

• Like 1

Da fuq.  :(

• Like 1

They had a weird spot kind of in the middle - priced between PXG, Miura, Honma and other premium brands, and above Cally, TM, PING, Titleist, etc -- kind of a no man's land

...and they chose to not seel out Pros to play their clubs.....that, and being very secluded as far as access by the troops, was a negative in their business plan.

• Like 1

...and they chose to not seel out Pros to play their clubs.....that, and being very secluded as far as access by the troops, was a negative in their business plan.

I tried to seek them out in 2015.  Before my trip to Las Vegas in Sept 2015, I contacted BHG in August to see if they had a fitter/seller in Vegas.  They told me that they were "in the process".  When I was in Vegas in Sept I had a few hours so checked their website (nothing listed), so I called them.  I found out that yes, they had one in Nevada...  in Reno!!!  Thanks, that was helpful.  Not!

• Like 1