Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

RIP Ben Hogan Golf

null

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_3504.JPG

Just got this from the Hogan company. Not sure what it means, but I wanted to share.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

And I am a huge fan of the wedges. They work for my game better than anything I've ever used.

Oh well I guess it's back to old school pitching and chipping. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The wedges always felt good, but I struggled to keep the ball down with them.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Thanks Rtracymog, I just got the same letter......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The wedges always felt good, but I struggled to keep the ball down with them.

I loved the SCORs, but this is exactly why I loved them.  They were so much easier than any other club to hit a high shot when I wanted to hit one.  I can always flight them down.  I haven't tried the TK wedges, and I have backups of the SCORs, but I might have to get a TK just to see if there is much difference.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Beat me to it, but here's the release...

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announces reorganization and restructuring - maintains commitment to building highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world 

Fort Worth, Texas: The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announced today that it is going through a period of re-tooling and right-sizing in an effort to become more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment business.

The Company has voluntarily implemented a reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the operation. This included the reduction of a large percentage of the exempt and non-exempt workforce, some of whom will be rehired as contract employees. The company has not declared bankruptcy nor been foreclosed upon, and remains in the business of producing and selling the highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world.

"Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated", said Scott White, President and CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. "While our organization does not look the same today as it did in 2016, we are confident that the changes we are making will make us a stronger and better company in the future".

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So confirmed from CEO  Scott White - Hogan is NOT shutting down, but instead implementing what he's calling a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization."  

"All outstanding product orders, and any new ones, will be fulfilled. We continue to receive and process orders on BenHoganGolf.com, and through our many customers."

The re-org is "an effort to be more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment industry."

More to come, and I have a call scheduled with Scott for tomorrow.

Yep, I was going to post like several others have that I got the email as well stating they aren't closing.  

How do you call laying off 100% of staff a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization"??  There is no organization!!

In the statement it says some will be re-offered positions as contractors.     

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow. Loved the older Ben hogan irons but never got to try out their new stuff just because I could never find it at any local retailer (and I'm a Lefty which makes it even tougher). Feel for those that were laid off though. Unless there is a niche they are filling, it's hard for the golf hardware manufacturers to be profitable in a highly competitive market.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

How do you call laying off 100% of staff a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization"??  There is no organization!!

It could be done for window dressing purposes to appease state regulators.  I have worked on a few "restructuring" transactions where the OpCo issued layoff notices to all employees to comply with state regulations and hired back the right number under a new OpCo.  Not to uncommon when a company is trying to work through bloat issues.  Without not knowing their actual structure it is hard to say for certain, but I do know it is easier to issue layoff notices to all employees rather than a subsection of employees.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Here's what I see. They had started the opportunity to be able to test their clubs for $19.95. You get 2 clubs, shaft stiffness picked by you, then you try them for 21 days and send them back.

Now, they get rid of everyone, but they "aren't dead".

Says to me going straight mail order with no reps. Just DTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

When I'm dead my headstone will read "I'm just reorganizing to streamline & reduce my expenses."

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It could be done for window dressing purposes to appease state regulators.  I have worked on a few "restructuring" transactions where the OpCo issued layoff notices to all employees to comply with state regulations and hired back the right number under a new OpCo.  Not to uncommon when a company is trying to work through bloat issues.  Without not knowing their actual structure it is hard to say for certain, but I do know it is easier to issue layoff notices to all employees rather than a subsection of employees.

I can see that, but as contractors??  That tells me that they will have very few employees with others as contractors so they don't have to pay benefits.  Oh yeah, probably at a lower wage.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can see that, but as contractors??  That tells me that they will have very few employees with others as contractors so they don't have to pay benefits.  Oh yeah, probably at a lower wage.

They would need to sever anyone if they are doing a true restructure.  Again, my guess is window dressing and the ones that are needed will be hired back in a clean entity. 

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

And I am a huge fan of the wedges. They work for my game better than anything I've ever used.

Oh well I guess it's back to old school pitching and chipping. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

New Cleveland wedges have the V soles

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Sad to see them downsize, I really liked the feel of their sticks. They were at our areas expo show, but down at far end. I agree that lack of fitting/Distribution, loft stamping and price point were too much to overcome to be more mainstream.

They just started carrying at the local golf galaxy too

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm hoping that its temporary but I won't hold my breath.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

New Cleveland wedges have the V soles

So does my Vokey SM5 T Grind.  Not a fan of the V sole at first but it has grown on me.

WITB 2024

Dang hopefully I can still get some irons from them this spring

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Reading between the lines, the only way they can achieve this is by out-sourcing labour to Asia and making cheaper product lines (like Macgregor). I'd rather they fell on their sword with a bit more dignity.

Not being cruel, but if they can't even make any revenue with selling polo shirts, I somehow doubt they'll make any money selling clubs either.

I guess the old curse of putting a major winners name on any product is usually the kiss of death.

Jaskanski may be on to something. If they are outsourcing to Asia and calling it 'reorganizing' to maximizing profits.... It sounds like that fits.

How do you call laying off 100% of staff a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization"?? There is no organization!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So does my Vokey SM5 T Grind. Not a fan of the V sole at first but it has grown on me.

I'll have to check those out. My 60° Nike is a T grind but I haven't found it anywhere else yet

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Can't say I am surprised these days. The price point was too high for most golfers, but I did see one set at my club. Irons didn't wow me and they had very limited shafts, grips, but did like the wedges

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

43 heads, not including hybrids, is just too many options. I doubt Ben Hogan would've ever signed off on that kind of offering.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Can't say I am surprised these days. The price point was too high for most golfers, but I did see one set at my club. Irons didn't wow me and they had very limited shafts, grips, but did like the wedges

Really when you consider only the irons and not wedges they were dead on price wise with Mizzuno. Everybody thinks of these priced with the wedges in there. Add wedges to any iron set and the price skyrockets. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Really when you consider only the irons and not wedges they were dead on price wise with Mizzuno. Everybody thinks of these priced with the wedges in there. Add wedges to any iron set and the price skyrockets. 

Even with the wedges they are cheaper than the set of TMBs that I just bought.  

WITB 2024

What was there per iron cost,because a 5-pw set, I was quoted for was close to a 3-pw set with mizuno. Add on that mizuno has "free" shaft upgrades and a whole hosts of grips.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

About $150 per club with KBS Tour 90 shafts, other shafts are upgrades of $10 - 25 depending on shaft, some were free. Grips are the Ben Hogan Performance and upgrades are $5 - 11 depending on grip.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Go to a store and you may can get slightly better quotes. One near me quoted me slightly better than the website.

But yes some shafts are upgrades and some aren't. Call them(Hogan) and talk to them and they have more available than online btw.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Discounts have begun

WITB 2024

Are those at a PGATSS?

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived