Shot Scope Live Q&A 4pm EST! Join Here! ×

Has YouTube made you better or worse?

Shankster

There is good content but it makes me appreciate MGS more. Also, for me personally, the game changer are the lag tools like the orange whip or lag shot. I use those constantly even if I am home I will go into the garage or outside and take several swings. I was able to get my handicap from a 9 to a 4 just with better ball striking.

I guess it is time to work on the old short game and putting. 😂

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

I watch YouTube for product information on golf equipment I am looking to purchase especially if I have a few brands in mind.I have also picked up a few little practice tips but nothing will beat getting lessons. 

Left handed 

YouTube & IG have both helped my game. Having free instruction available while on the range or even struggling during a round has helped me shoot in the 80’s consistently. Of course not every video or swing tip is for everyone… but there is something for everyone.  My biggest takeaway is, you must practice drills and feels repetitively. It isn’t practice them for a few swings then go, it’s do it 10 or more times to get results. 

Currently gaming 

PXG 0311 gen 5 drive, PXG 0211’s, Wilson 4 hybrid, Nike covert 3 wood, Volkey SM4 wedges, odyssey O-works blade putter  

Even though I would love to take tips from guys like Grant, Rick Shiels or Peter Finch it is hard to translate it to my game. I am a learner that likes physical cues, feeling something that is repeatable. Theory is great but I don't learn a lot that way without the feedback and correction. I love YouTube golf though(which is why I started a thread on it) to watch good golf be entertained. I have certainly watched more golf as a result.

I do however think equipment reviews on YouTube are tremendous helpful especially when unbiased like Rick.

Edited by chadmariage

Driver:       image.png.7f3c52cdda3996453095f572126b9503.png    Stealth Plus | HZRDUS Black 60g XS
Fairway:     image.png.de1d30837028fb410cf9dc1340344a45.png    Stealth 2 3 Wood | Aldila Rogue 110 SFlex
Hybrid:      image.png.c177efb5cde037d8fb691bcb450e5724.png    GAPR 3 (19degree) | Kuro Kage S Flex
Hybrid:      image.png.1fe8068c68ae75b2f1739ad6e9289e3f.png     Stealth 2 4 Hybrid | Kali 85-S  
Irons:         image.png.b17583525b373be8ce13f02fca7588a4.png     P790 5-A | Dynamic Gold S300 105 
Wedges:    image.png.57b205d69afea828699b768e9de81e92.png      MG3 56(down to 55) and 60 | Stock True Temper (DG) Wedge
Putter:       image.png.6b0c05187a2a0def1a1ca539fb41ac22.png      DF3 | White Accra x LAB | 34" 67 degree Lie Angle

I would have to say "yes" it has helped my game. it should be mentioned, of course, that not all content providers are created equal.  If you know yourself,  your game and tendencies, etc... you can find a provider that suits your game and you may be able to take something from their lesson to assist you with your process. As such, you can also hurt your game by implementing info that doesnt suit your swing and could end up engraining bad habits into your game. It is also very entertaining and a way to kill some time. 

Without hesitation,  youtube golf has helped me immensely.   I wont lie, i did go down the rabbit hole and listened to several different swing coaches on youtube, which wrecked my game.   Until i found the Good Golf Coaching youtube site. I now listen to this golf coach exclusively.  He provides a lot of great tips and dispels a lot of wrong information concerning the golf swing.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

When I first started I used Rick Shiels' series about how to position yourself etc that he released a few years back. Found it was useful and gave me some good basic knowledge until I could afford some lessons.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Grant Horvat has completely fixed my swing. And I watch almost only YouTube golf and I have noticed that my course management has improved immensely. Just being exposed to the better golfers and watching their thought processes through a hole. 

My username explains everything. 
ChromeSoftwareX

I originally sought some information when I returned to playing golf a couple of years ago but soon realized that golf lessons (like swings) are personal and cannot be “taught” sight unseen from YouTube. It can help if you are already knowledgeable about the golf swing but it’s still a one-sided endeavor. The more views and video gets, the more money the YouTuber gets, meanwhile your golf game will not improve. I watch it now for entertainment and to actually watch these content creators expose themselves as the “wannabe hacks” that they are. My son however, has been watching Rory McIlroy’s swing on YouTube and absorbing it through osmosis!! 🤣

Currently employed at Riverwood National Golf Course, in Otsego, MN (USA)   RW Logo copy.png

WITB: 

Callaway Paradym 9 & 10.5 drivers, depending on conditions and my swing that day! (Accra Tour Z x255 M3)

Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 woods (stock Aldila Synergy shafts, Stiff)

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB, Regular)

Callaway Apex Pro 19 (True Temper Elevate Tour 115 Steel, Regular)

13 different putters in rotation!! 😆

Seed SD-05 (a 3-piece urethane cover, 80 compression ball)

I have watched and I feel it’s to hard to incorporate all of the stuff. Who knows if you’re even doing it correctly. There is just so much out there, I believe you need to commit to just one style and have an instructor who sees your swing and work on that.

B Good

On 4/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, Shankster said:

Every once and a while I'll get on the YouTube looking for a new shot or something. I think if YouTube was around when I started golfing 20 years ago I would be a heck of a lot better. There is some really bad stuff on there, but you can pick up a few good tips if you weed through the BS. Thoughts?

Alan

- Da Yooper

@og_shankster (instagram)

Hi Alan - I don't typically watch the "instructional" type videos, I find often times they detour into too much technical verbiage and minute movements that as weekend hackers it is not possible to master.  So, except for basic areas, such as drills, I don't watch those.  However, I find immense fun in watching people like Rick Shiels, especially his Break 75 series, which often times brings in pro golfers and allows you to get a different view on them as people.  Tommy Fleetwood or Rickie Fowler for example.  Along the way they do talk about how they are playing a shot or describing their course management - these are interesting non technical tips.  So I do watch these videos but more for my entertainment as opposed to real skill building, even then it is limited to 2-3 sources.  Obviously the product review videos I watch as well.  

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I enjoy watching Golf Sidekick videos. They emphasize playing strategically, staying within your skill level, and avoiding shots you lack confidence in. These videos are particularly helpful for average golfers looking to improve their scores. As for instructional videos, I tend to steer clear of them.”

I’m not a gripper and ripper.  I play to my abilities, strengths and try to avoid my weaknesses 

10 handicap 

A good friend of mine watches YouTube lessons religiously and it has turned his approach to the game “robotic “. 
Before every swing he now goes through the “Mr Goodwrench 93 point checklist”. Very hard to watch……

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

Most things are just entertainment, but I did find a bunker tip that was helpful. It was from Steve Johnston and was different from the normal open stance, open club, cut across the ball tips. The main thing is, it works. 

YOUTUBE RESPONSE

Has YouTube helped or hurt my game????

Interesting question and depends on what perspective you look at it.

I generally do not respond to any post but I do read them for entertainment purposes only.

As all good things which originally mean well and have great intent, YouTube is good and bad. 
good for it keeps people excited about the game and learning about the game and swing. It allows people to see how large the golf world is in many ways. History, rules, equipment, lessons, etc……., basically every facet of the game.

There is some very good information on it in certain aspects.

With as much content that’s on it, it certainly shows the desire of people who want to learn about all of golf, so the interest is there.
THATS THE GOOD.

NOW FOR THE BAD! AND THIS IS MY OPINION.

YouTube is the perfect case of where too much cake will teach you to not like cake any longer! Computers and what they are capable of are a god sent to mankind but also their mis-use is a destruction to mankind.
You can only eat so much cake before you just don’t like cake anymore.

It is over kill at the highest level! As a teacher of golf in every aspect of the game, expert on the swing, equipment, physics, etc…, trying to undo the damage and mess from mis-understood information from a students mind is a nightmare because they believe what they see on it is the gospel and everyone else is full of crap and crazy and do not know what they are talking about.
DIDN’T YOU KNOW BY NOW EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON LUNE IR YOUTUBE IS TRUE??? LMAO :0:)

I laugh when I see so much poor information on the swing is there for one. 
NO WONDER ALL THESE POOR PEOPLE CAN NOT CONSISTENTLY IMPROVE!

I see the ranges full of all these YouTube swingers chasing the mess they find on YouTube and it is amazing. 
AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY CAN NOT AND DO NOT IMPROVE!!

LMAO AGAIN!!!

WHY IS THIS???

Heres just a couple of reasons:

A- THEY WANT FREE LESSONS AND DON’T WANT TO PAY FOR TRUE KNOWLEDGE

B- WHEN THEY FIND OUT THE REALITY OF WHAT IT TAKES TO IMPROVE AND BECOME BETTER, THEY DO NIT REALLY WANT TO PUT IN THE HARD WORK!

Ben Hogan was correct!

THE SECRET IS IN THE DIRT!

Golf is a game for a lifetime!

In the golf industry over 40 years.

played since age 8.

Low round 63, 3 rounds at 29.

Expert in most all aspects of the game; equipment, fitting, instruction.

Host golf radio show.

Yes! Parker McGlaughlin - ShortGameChef - opened my eyes. He demonstrates wedge technique, particularly chipping and sand play, very well. And he gives you reasons why you practically never see the pros on TV utilizing the "old school" bump-and-run technique. It made sense to me and I have been practicing and incorporating this into play. I went from a 5 to a 2 last year, primarily through more up and downs.

I watched him being interviewed on other people's channels. His website is ridiculously expensive.

Titleist TSi2 with HZRDUS SMOKE RDX shaft, Titleist 917 16.5* FW, Mavrik Pro 20* & 23* HBs, Cobra King Tour (2020) 5-P with KBS $-Taper 120g shafts, King MIM 50*, Titleist SM8 54* and 58*, Odyssey #7 O-Works

Youtube is a resounding plus for me.  Anytime I need a fix I may go through 4-5 different Youtubers to find the one that explains it exactly the way I need to hear.

The explanation that makes sense to me at the time. It doesn't matter if you normally follow ANY of the major onliine coaches. Getting a different perspective

and a situation you're trying to correct is much better than a single source. So Youtube with it's countless online coaches provides that.

As an example if I may look at a top coach for chipping and correct 80% then look at 2-3 others and get the other 20% . Each golf coach has their specialty or strong point.

Youtube allows me to have access at a click of a mouse to all the  best instructors out there.

Pete

P.S. In the end it comes down to practice,practice,practise.

Edited by peterg2000

In my      :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:

Driver:    :ping-small: G425 LST, set to 9.0, graphite stiff-flex,  Tour S 65 

3W:          Taylormade Jetspeed Stiff Flex

2H:           Taylormade Jetspeed Regular Flex  ( yeah I know got it on sale and love it as is)

3H:           Taylormade RBZ stiff flex

Irons:        Tatlormade RBZ steel stiff flex

Wedges:  :ping-small: GMax, Yellow Dot, CVS 70 graphite, PW, UW & SW, Ping Glide Dyla-Wedge (white color code)

Putter:     Odessey 

Ball:       Titlest ProV1x

Shoes:   :footjoy-small:

Being newer to the game again* (I golfed a bunch as a teen, a 15-year hiatus, and only started taking it seriously the past 2 years) The first year I did watch a bunch felt like I had no idea what I needed to fix my game and was no help. I got lessons and after 5 hours of research to find a well-respected coach in my area, and the first one hour lesson made a larger difference than endless hours of YouTube. I went from shooting 120s to my lowest round of 92 within 6 months. I actively avoid swing golf youtube except for entertainment and scroll past instruction videos on TikTok except for one guy.

There is some awful golf advice out there.  I feel bad for people who fall for it as beginners. They get their hopes up and then are subjected to drills or concepts which wrecked people's backs and knees.  It could be a bane and boon to the game. I do enjoy watching golf content, but it can be a cesspool. I find myself wanting to make more satire as a result of Youtube's state to possibly open people's eyes to how absurd it is.

Edited by Ball0
typo

Carry bag for best results.

I watch Danny Maude from time to time. I have picked up a few useful tidbits. But...it is easy to go down the rabbit hole.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

My story is a bit long, but I'll summarize it quickly. I played golf at a very young age and was forced to quit due to my baseball coaching (my dad) saying it was messing with my swing. As an adult, I wanted to pick it back up for years but could never find the time. We purchased a house near a course, and every time I drove by, I heard the field of dreams voice, "If you play, you will learn", or at least that's what I told my wife. I bought some hand-me-down clubs from my brother-in-law and took a swing at it. I'm currently three years into playing, and I've never had a lesson. Last season, I broke 80 just once, but I contribute that all to YouTube or social media golf. I know every swing is different, but my experience as a baseball hitting coach allowed me to make necessary adjustments to my swing to help out. It's still a work in progress, but I feel comfortable enough to enjoy the game. Also, recording myself during range sessions has helped tremendously.

David Lopez

I watch for gear reviews. Swing fixes are too subjective and my body is so broken I simply cannot move the way the videos want you to anyway. 

I watched some for ideas on how to post a review in the Maxfli Tour X ball test I participated in. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I've watched quite a few different instructors on YouTube and I've found a couple who actually explain and demonstrate techniques pretty well. While not everything is useful/helpful I have improved my chipping/pitching skills after practicing what I watched. 

DR

this is kind of a 2 headed monster.

when I first started watching youtube I would run out and try whatever thing I watched.... that was not fruitful --- at least long term.

nowadays I'll pick up a few tips here and there.  for example I noticed I wasn't releasing the club fully and saw a vid last night as to why this MIGHT be happening.

I wouldn't watch YT to learn how to swing a golf club, but I do like it for addressing specific problems.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

MY perspective as someone who started playing more "serious" during covid-times. 

Youtube Definitely opened my eyes up that golf just isn't try to hit a ball straight and into a hole. Learning a whole new world of movements, terminology, mannerisms, etc. I saw in videos that i saw translate onto the course and into every day situations. 

But has it helped my game?

Yes and No.

Yes. It helped me look for the fundamentals ie: posture, swing path, amateur statistics, different lies, etc. Being able to watch Tiger, Rory, DJ, Bryson, swing in slow mo and have professionals break down their swing is a great advantage to learning golf in the modern day. 

No. The more i watched videos from other youtubers, the more confused i got and the more it messed with my swing.. or atleast when i was trying to develop my swing. 

I ended up taking lessons and took what i learned from the youtube videos and applied it with tweaks from my PGA instructor. 

It's always that one good shot that keeps us coming back! Follow me on IG

What's in my bag?

• D - TM SIM2 MAX 
  • 3W - TM SIM2 MAX
  • 5W - TM Aeroburner 
  • 3H - TM Rescue
  • 5-PW - TM P790
  • 52 - TM MG2 
  • 56 - TM MG1
  • 60 - TM MG2
  • Putter - EvnRoll ER7
  • Ball - PV1 or TP5