#1 Jrwatkins7

Jrwatkins7

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Handicap:5.3

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

Is your best round, than your handicap? I seem to play with a lot of guys that are 9-10s that have shot 70. 2s and 3s that have shot in the mid 60s. Meanwhile I’m a 5 and have never shot better than a couple of 74s...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#2 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,699 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

The first question would be how difficult the course is that you play. There’s a big difference between Oakmont from the tips at a course rating of 76 and the local muni at 69.

As a 5 you should average somewhere around 77 on a course of average difficulty. During a full season on that course one would expect a round or two that is at even or under. You could shoot 70 and still be only 3 or 4 under your index.

I’m currently playing to an index that moves from 5 to 6 on a more difficult than average course. My scores this year vary from 73 to 87. If I were regularly playing an easier course I’d have a sub par round tucked in there. I’d expect the same from someone else in my handicap range.

How long have you been a five for and what’s the course rating from the course/tees that you play?

<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#3 Jrwatkins7

Jrwatkins7

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

The first question would be how difficult the course is that you play. There’s a big difference between Oakmont from the tips at a course rating of 76 and the local muni at 69.

As a 5 you should average somewhere around 77 on a course of average difficulty. During a full season on that course one would expect a round or two that is at even or under. You could shoot 70 and still be only 3 or 4 under your index.

I’m currently playing to an index that moves from 5 to 6 on a more difficult than average course. My scores this year vary from 73 to 87. If I were regularly playing an easier course I’d have a sub par round tucked in there. I’d expect the same from someone else in my handicap range.

How long have you been a five for and what’s the course rating from the course/tees that you play?

I get it. I’ve been playing more in the last two years than I ever have (40+ rounds/ summer) going from 8 down to 5. My home course is 70.3/120 from the whites. I just still haven’t had “that” round. I get in my own head every time thinking “this is gonna be the time!”

I am more hoping to hear about everyone’s “great” round. While you are absolutely correct about the course rating- when I finally break par, that will be my focus!

#4 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.8

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

... I have never been a fan of the system. It is in place to stop cheaters, not keep an accurate index of someones playing ability. Now they try and cover their a$$ and say it is an indication of your potential to score but I think we all know that isn't true for most. Taking your last 20 scores and dropping the highest 10 and then multiplying by 96% is just an attempt to stop players from entering high scores so they can sandbag. It is a flawed system at best. 

... That said, there are many different kinds of golfers when it comes to scoring. Many have a range that they rarely fall out of. As a +0.6 I usually shoot in the 70-76 range. I have shot a couple 66's which is only 4 under my index and several times a season I shoot in the 60's. So it is very rare for me to shoot 8 strokes above or below my index. But I have played with inconsistent golfers that can shoot a 78 on their best day and a 108 on their worst. Even when they shoot the 78 they hit some bladed shots that turn out OK, or hit it into the trees and it bounces out, etc. 

... But the guy with a nice swing and stellar short game that says he is "just really on today" is the one I suspect is working the system. If they have a consistent looking game and shoot well beneath their index, they're sandbagging most of the time. 

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* ... Rogue Black Tour 110 60s 

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* ... Rogue Black 85s

Hybrid: 18.5* & 21.5* RBZ Tour ... Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  4/5 TM UDi Recoil 95's ... 6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM6 58* M Grind ... Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#5 CFrazier

CFrazier

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Handicap:6

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

I'm a 3HCP and my best is 71....

Driver-    Taylormade M1 9.5 Diamana Ahina' 80X

3 Wood- Taylormade M1 Fujikura Pro 80S

5 Wood- Taylormade M1 Fujikura Pro 80S

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-AW S300

Wedges- Taylormade EF Wedge 54-58 S300

Putter-    Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 Gripmaster Midsize Leather Grip

Ball-        Bridgestone B330

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

#6 GolfJunkie302

GolfJunkie302

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Handicap:8.3

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

My handicap is 6.7 as of the last revision. Before that, and for most of the summer, it was around 8.5. This season, I have had a couple of 75's, a 76, a couple of 77's, a bunch of 78's, and a lot of 79's. A lot in the low 80's too. I usually play courses/tees with a 70-71 course rating. Slope is usually about 130.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#7 Jmikecpa

Jmikecpa

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Handicap:+1

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

Shot 65 last week from the member’s tees playing off a 1.6. Based on slope and rating from these tees I beat my index by just under 8 shots.

In the Bag

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.5

:titelist-small: 917 F2 15* Diamana Blueboard 83x

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Tensei CK White 90x

:titelist-small: 712u 20* Fujikura Pro 95x

:titelist-small: 716 TMB 4 - PW TTDG AMT S300 Sensicore

:vokey-small: SM6 52* (F) & 58* (K) TTDG S300

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2

:titelist-small: ProV1x #45

:titelist-small: Staff Stand Bag

#8 Rusty1885

Rusty1885

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Handicap:2

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

It depends on the courses I’m playing. Sight unseen or not so familiar I’d probably shoot 71-77. Playing at my home course I can usually shoot par or from 69-75. It comes in all shapes sometimes 3 bogeys and 3 birdies on a really up and down day it’d be 4-5 birdies and 3-4 bogies. Once or twice a month I’d shoot 18 pars.

That said last weekend I played at one of my favorite nemesis course and shot 82. Last month I played at this mountain course with wacky green slope hit 13 fairways and 15 greens and still blew up the score with 37 putts.

#9 Kenny B

Kenny B

• Members

• 8,165 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:7.9

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:40 AM

I'm a 9 and as a member of a local muni, I play it almost all the time.  Usual scores are typically 79-86, but I shot 73 this year which tied my low round last year.  When I travel to unfamiliar courses or play local courses that I haven't played much, rounds are usually mid to high 80's.  For me the difference is course familiarity and ability to score in the short game.

#10 Rusty1885

Rusty1885

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Handicap:2

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:08 AM

I'm a 9 and as a member of a local muni, I play it almost all the time.  Usual scores are typically 79-86, but I shot 73 this year which tied my low round last year.  When I travel to unfamiliar courses or play local courses that I haven't played much, rounds are usually mid to high 80's.  For me the difference is course familiarity and ability to score in the short game.

I wish I could have been there cheering you on especially on the back nine on your 73 round. I bet it was awesome. :)

#11 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:10

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

My handicap is based mostly off 9 hole matches so the 18 hole score is lower than it would be otherwise.

That being said, it's a "10." I've never broken 80 but did shoot 80 on the nose a few years back. It was from shorter tees and I'm not totally sure if I followed all the rules so I don't count that as my low. This year, in the playoffs, I shot 81 and count that as my low round. Before that, 83 was my lowest.

For 9 holes, I shot 37 once this year and that was 5 shots under my handicap at the time. Bogeyed 1 and parred the rest.

I typically play very close to my handicap so I don't have much high/low swing unless it's an unfamiliar course.

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#12 gaussman1

gaussman1

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Handicap:1

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

Is your best round, than your handicap? I seem to play with a lot of guys that are 9-10s that have shot 70. 2s and 3s that have shot in the mid 60s. Meanwhile I’m a 5 and have never shot better than a couple of 74s...

Unless you're playing a course with a rating around 67 then you're playing with sandbaggers. No way those guys are posting their better scores. A 5 should have 77-80 as the better half of his last 20 scores on a course with rating around par. That 2 or 3 wouldn't average 75, but would have 75-77 or so as the better half of his last 20 scores. Something under par would stick like glue unless they go online and pump in a bunch of fake scores to move it out of the lineup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#13 Jrwatkins7

Jrwatkins7

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Unless you're playing a course with a rating around 67 then you're playing with sandbaggers. No way those guys are posting their better scores. A 5 should have 77-80 as the better half of his last 20 scores on a course with rating around par. That 2 or 3 wouldn't average 75, but would have 75-77 or so as the better half of his last 20 scores. Something under par would stick like glue unless they go online and pump in a bunch of fake scores to move it out of the lineup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Some of you read this as I was calling out sandbaggers in my club. That wasn’t what I was going for... I was lamenting that I just have never had that one “awesome” round in my life that was an outlier to what my handicap is today. It seems that a lot of the guys I have played with have had one or two great days that I wish I could have. Along the same line as ...the duffers that have had a hole in one ...and I have never come close...

#14 chisag

chisag

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+.8

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

... I did not think calling out sandbaggers was your intention, the thread just logically went there. It is a flawed system and all of us have encountered sandbaggers. Again considering the index is supposed to be an indication of your ability at your very best, it is very difficult to be much better than that. Out of 20 scores you are throwing out your 10 worst. So shooting 10 strokes better than an average of your best 10 scores is extremely difficult. Shooting 10 better than an average of your 10 worst scores is easy, but of course they don't count toward you index. 

... My point being, very few shoot much less than a few strokes lower than their index because it is already an indication of your lowest scores. Obviously there are many reasons this can happen, like you play once a week but go on a vacation and play 6 days in a row. Or preparing for a tournament, you practice much more than normal, or normally don't practice at all but do practice for the tournament. But you are not alone as most of shooting 8-10 strokes below our index is never going to happen. 

Driver:   Callaway Epic 10.5* ... Rogue Black Tour 110 60s 

Utility:  Cobra King Utility 19* ... Rogue Black 85s

Hybrid: 18.5* & 21.5* RBZ Tour ... Altus 85 Hys

Irons:  4/5 TM UDi Recoil 95's ... 6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95's

Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM6 58* M Grind ... Recoil 110s

Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33.25"

Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

#15 Kenny B

Kenny B

• Members

• 8,165 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:7.9

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

I wish I could have been there cheering you on especially on the back nine on your 73 round. I bet it was awesome. :)

It was a better round than the 73 I shot last year which was mostly all pars.  -1 on the front and +2 on the back with birdies on #10 and #11.  Started to fall apart; with 4 bogeys.  I managed to salvage a par on the par 5 #18 after hitting a fairway bunker, getting out, going for the green and hitting a bunker; getting up and down.  On the tee I was thinking birdie!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      14 Nov
    ddryan

Heading to Pinehurst tomorrow for a week- cant wait!!!

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      13 Nov
    Clublender

Hi. We are addicted to golf and rent high-end golf clubs (PXGs, Callaways, Titleists, and TaylorMades) on demand in the LA area. My Golf Spy looks like a great site and we look forward to interacting with other golfers on the site.

• Photo
      09 Nov
    golfovernight

he best players don't get overwhelmed with mechanical thoughts as they stand over the ball. They pick one feel-based thought and go with it. Steal one of these tour thoughts for some pre-swing clarity.

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors