ole gray

From steel to graphite?

So how young is too young for graphite shafts? I'm only 30 but you guys are making this sound like an excellent option. I too get elbow/wrist pain from too much practice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

So how young is too young for graphite shafts? I'm only 30 but you guys are making this sound like an excellent option. I too get elbow/wrist pain from too much practice.

I don't think age should define the type of shaft you need/use

• Like 2

.... Arguably graphite iron shafts have surpassed steel iron shafts. There is only so much you can do with steel, but graphite allows almost infinite possibilities from low torque for accuracy to higher torque for improved feel. The kick point can be moved anywhere resulting in perfect ball flight. And of course, they are easier on your joints regardless of your age. As I have said many times, I made the switch because of tendonitis in my elbow but I stuck with graphite in my irons for their performance. 

• Like 1

I'm 22 and hoping to have the funds to get graphite shafts in my irons by spring. No point in extra wear and tear on the joints

.... Arguably graphite iron shafts have surpassed steel iron shafts. There is only so much you can do with steel, but graphite allows almost infinite possibilities from low torque for accuracy to higher torque for improved feel. The kick point can be moved anywhere resulting in perfect ball flight. And of course, they are easier on your joints regardless of your age. As I have said many times, I made the switch because of tendonitis in my elbow but I stuck with graphite in my irons for their performance.

Exactly my reasoning for getting graphite now. When I first got into golf, no matter the manufacturer I couldn't control the flight of my irons, skied them all. But seeing how far it's come in the relatively short time, if they haven't already, it won't be long before steel is left in the dust

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Let me throw this out there. If you have graphite in drivers, fws, & hybrids, and they generate the most club head speed, why not use graphite in irons?

• Like 4

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges?  I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

I had a set GW with a recoil shaft but ended up selling and buying an RTX 3 with steel shaft.  it wasn't due to the shaft, I just didn't like the set GW as much as the RTX 3.

All 3 of my RTX 3's have KBS wedge shafts in them.  Its probably just in my head but the heavier steel shaft (in my case) feels better on partial wedge shots, chips and pitches.  I might take 3 full swing wedge shots a round so the lack of the graphite shaft isn't an issue for me.

• Like 2

For you guys who switched to graphite did you do the same with your wedges? I'm thinking of picking up a Cleveland CBX 56 degree and if I'm going graphite with my iron set should I do the same with any wedges I may choose?

I did not and still play steel in my wedges. I have Hogan TK 15s with graphite and a Vokey SM6 with a Recoil that all perform well. Don't seem to have issues with steel in the scoring clubs.

I am also giving steel one last shot. My fitter put a Recoil 125 in my TMB 7 iron and I was not a fan at all. Glad I hit them before we did the whole set. We stuck with the AMT S300s and dumped the Sensicore inserts in them as an experiment.

• Like 1

I went to graphite last year.  Arthritis in my hands would hurt like hell for days after playing with steel shafts even with dampening inserts.  Haven't had an issue.  Went to my fitter and ended up in Recoil 95 shafts.  Love them.  Haven't had an issue and now my hands don't hurt after playing.

• Like 3

I did. 31 and still swing 115-118. I'm also using steelfiber 95 regular flex. They are crazy good.

• Like 2

Ok Ok Ok you folks have won me over. Next set I own will definitely be graphite! Time to go easy on the old bones

• Like 7

I've got the Aerotechs in my wedges as well. The weight difference would be odd if I had stuck with Dynamic Golds in them. I like having continuity throughout the set. 

• Like 1

Well folks I did it!  I made the leap from steel  to graphite today and have a set of Titleist AP1 716 5 - PW, AW, GW with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage TiNi 65 shafts on the way. 

• Like 5

Well folks I did it! I made the leap from steel to graphite today and have a set of Titleist AP1 716 5 - PW, AW, GW with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage TiNi 65 shafts on the way.

Awesome man! Did you get them in the longer length you had been toying with?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Awesome man! Did you get them in the longer length you had been toying with?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Actually I checked the length and they are .25 longer than the Callaway's. I was fit a few years back at +.025 so it worked out perfect.

• Like 1

Did you get fitted or go with the gut feeling?

Did you get fitted or go with the gut feeling?

I bought em at Golf Discount online so no fitting however they are set exactly as I have been fit in the past by a professional fitter.  We shall see if my swing or old age has changed those specs. :unsure: 

• Like 2

Well folks I did it! I made the leap from steel to graphite today and have a set of Titleist AP1 716 5 - PW, AW, GW with the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage TiNi 65 shafts on the way.

Enjoy them! Really good set of irons

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Ok  guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins.  Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out.....  :D

• Like 5

Ok guys,,,,, I got my Titleist AP1 714 irons in with graphite shafts so the fun begins. Now you know all you old bastards that encouraged me to go that route will be responsible if I don't shoot even par on my first time out..... :D

Good luck and have fun OG. Can't wait to hear about your first round with them.

• Like 2