Sen

New 2019 Maltby Driving Iron FDI(updated highly requested old HDI)

Our Sponsors

I had another range session this morning putting my various long club options through the paces off the deck: ST190 3 wood, ST190 5 wood, 816 H1 21* hybrid, G15 3 iron (20*), KE4 FDI 19*, and TE forged 4i (24*).
1. The G15 3i iron was quickly eliminated as the offset and overall look is so dissimilar to the rest of the set that I can't consider it.
2. I hit the 816 H1 5 times and despite my best efforts something about my swing at the moment and that club is just not resulting in good ball speeds. 
3. The TE forged 4 iron is very consistent, this is a great club for me and gaps in well but is probably not useful for long par 3s or par 5s.
4. I hit the FDI 23 times.  6 were various categories of bad strikes, 2 of them 20+ yards less than median carry, another 2 10+ yards less, and another 2 5+ yards less. The balance of 17 were ok to excellent strikes.  Among the 17 only 1 of them failed to reach 60 foot height.
5. I hit the 5 wood 19 times.  It just does not go as far as I would like it to.  I'm getting about 5 more yards carry out of it than the FDI.  Mishits still get sufficient launch.  I had a similar mishit % and std dev of carry as the FDI.
6. I hit the 3 wood 9 times.  The average shot is 14 yards more carry than the 5 wood. 
Takeaways:
The data says the 3 wood is clearly the best option for me for maximum distance advancement shots (2nd shots par 5s).  The 5 wood gaps reasonably well behind the 3 wood, but is NOT a max advancement club. 
The FDI is useful for the 170 yard par 3 shot I mentioned, shots from 165 off the deck, and shots were the wind is a concern.  It would probably be wise to bend the FDI 1* to 2* weak to try to get it to gap ideally between the 4 iron and 5 wood.  I need more testing with the 816 H1 because I had success last year with that club.
Dave
Thanks for your feedback I had a similar situation I came to the realization in my fitting and looking at game golf data I hit my 5 wood less then once a round and then have a 1i and 4i which only go about 5 yards apart. So my intent with the FDI was to replace the 1 iron (mostly for punch shots) with something slightly longer slightly more stable yet still versitile for those punch shots.
We will see once I get more play but things are looking good so far. Also the few times I have hit it off the tee for a hard dogleg it was a good solid flight.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

7 hours ago, WalterS said:

thanks for your test results.

33 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Thanks for your feedback I had a similar situation I came to the realization in my fitting and looking at game golf data I hit my 5 wood less then once a round and then have a 1i and 4i which only go about 5 yards apart. So my intent with the FDI was to replace the 1 iron (mostly for punch shots) with something slightly longer slightly more stable yet still versitile for those punch shots.
We will see once I get more play but things are looking good so far. Also the few times I have hit it off the tee for a hard dogleg it was a good solid flight.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you both, I appreciate it.

There's only so much you can learn from hitting into a net from a mat.  i think it's likely I'm best off really getting the 21* and 25* 816 H1 hybrids sorted out to get better performance from a variety of lies, but I think the FDI has a lot of potential. 

It truly is a rocket launcher for an iron type profile.  I didn't expect it would be sneaking up on 5 wood distance!

Dave

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 7:58 AM, bellairemi said:

How is the trajectory of the driving iron versus a 5 iron or 5 hybrid

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

Golf courses in Illinois open on 5/1 and while I like the FDI it did not make the cut.  I'm putting my 21* 816 H1 in the bag instead gapping between the 4 iron and 5 wood.  I think it gives me better versatility and will strictly be used to cover a yardage range rather than tee use.  I'm planning to use 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee on tight/risky par 4s.

I would have been better off buying the 21* FDI instead of the 19*.

Dave

Hey guys, I’m parting ways with my Maltby k4 irons and 2-3-4-5 hybrids email me at benlberryv AT geeee mail if you want them