Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Lynx Black Cat and Prowler VT Irons

Are any of the VT guys having any issues with gapping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I actually expected to see a slight gapping issue with only 3* between the 8 iron and 9 iron. However so far that has been a nonissue.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:53 PM, JimNantzsToast said:

I asked for a gap wedge to go along with the set because the lofts matched up almost perfectly. And I still wish it came with one!

I also asked for 5-GW, but we then discovered we were basing it on older set info:  there is no GW in the new black cat set.  

3 and 4 are available though.  I would be into trying a 4i at least.  

• Like 1

The only gapping issue isn't really the clubs. Since I'm hitting an extra 10 yds +/- there's now a pretty sizeable hole between my PW and 50° by about 25 yds. I'm now considering having it adjusted to 48° to see if I can close that up a hair.

On another note, just got back from a long hot 18. Played the tips at San Marcos here in Chandler. Pooped the bed on the front 9 with a 46 but cleaned up nicely on the back for a 38.

Was on fire with the driver hitting 12 fairways at Max swing! On a longer par 3 that played 216 uphill, roped a 4i to the front right fringe pin high. The course has some long nearly U shaped fairways with tall trees blocking the approach. Was able to shape a few iron shots nicely around the trees which is always fun.

Ultimately I don't think I had 1 iron shot that hurt me. I contribute the poor play primarily to my wedges and putting. Humidity was 40% which is extremely high here. I just couldn't control my distance around 100 yds and everything was just falling short. My putting distance was just off too.

But I'd say that overall today's round was quite successful with the VT's

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 4

So here are a few videos

This first one is to demonstrate the acoustics. The camera didn't quite pick up the PW and 9i like I'd hoped but you can still see a subtle difference. Toe strikes tend to amplify the sound.
[/url]  
PW Video. 

9i video

7i shapes. Draw, Fade, and Low. Please excuse the awkward hand signals.

3i Stinger

This one is the bonus video. The 3 and 4 are just low blistering rockets. So fun to hit!

Great videos and you can definitely hear a difference with the 9 and PW, it's just a little sharper. I'm jealous of those stingers, those were great! Is it just a trick of the lighting on the sound video, or does your 7 iron have a hole in the toe section of the club? I watched in slow motion and it looked like it was in the same spot as you are addressing the ball.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I actually expected to see a slight gapping issue with only 3* between the 8 iron and 9 iron. However so far that has been a nonissue.

How many yards difference are you seeing in carry between the two?

Did a little comparison testing with my 3 other iron sets.  I was pulling and hooking a lot, and blocking some right with my graphite shafted C300s.  

The Black Cats are in the lead for feel at the very least, even compared to well struck shots with my AMP cell Pro MB irons!  I need to do launch monitor comparos to learn anything more.  

20190811_170135.thumb.jpg.e18befa90a3292cdc0328490dae7bb34.jpg

I also included a couple 4i in the mix.  Today was my first experience with a 4i.  Holy cow the ball gets sent, mid penetrating trajectory, a couple over 200 yds, but mishits were punished quite a bit.  

The 5i Black Cat works quite well.  I was flying that about 175 on the range, so I would add 5-8yds if hitting a new ball.  It had better feel and accuracy than the other 3.  I have a hunch the 5-8i might be winners, and the 9 and PW may be equal to others, but I really need computer data so stay tuned 🙂

Arccos is on order also, bday gift to myself, next Sunday.  We'll see if the missus got me anything golf related also 🙂

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great videos and you can definitely hear a difference with the 9 and PW, it's just a little sharper. I'm jealous of those stingers, those were great! Is it just a trick of the lighting on the sound video, or does your 7 iron have a hole in the toe section of the club? I watched in slow motion and it looked like it was in the same spot as you are addressing the ball.

So not a trick OR lighting. It's a port hole. Not to be confused with a portal.. 🛸.. 👽..🤣

Story: When we got our clubs, myself and @JudgeSmails opted for the chrome finish. Well we both received 7 irons with what appeared to be punched port holes or possibly casting blemishes. Additionally my 5i had a pretty wicked rattle going on. 

We informed Lynx and they quickly responded that the 7 irons were prototypes for next year and that we shouldn't have gotten them as they weren't a finished product. At least that's how I understood it. Apparently the rattle was also a common issue with the closed models and the ports allow them to fish out any post-casting debris. Makes plenty of sense👍

The upside is that there is no performance loss and it's strictly aesthetic and not at all visible at address. It has however become a slightly negative talking point though as many people have taken high interest in the clubs at courses, range, PGATSS, Van's, etc and ALWAYS ask about my 5 and 7. 

Not only do they just look a bit odd, but the port just kind of looks like an afterthought. It's not precision drilled or milled but punched or cast as there's an indentation and it's rather off-center. Additionally the holes are just filled in with what appears to be a rubber plug of some sort. Ultimately we settled on what we got because after all we paid nothing for the clubs and they're still outstanding. 

InShot_20190811_194440516.jpg

We didn't want  to  make much of a public issue out of it as Lynx did attempt to address it in a quick manner. I think we all had a feeling that at some point it would be noticed and questioned. After all we are dealing with world-class golf spys here. 😎

Hopefully the finished product will be cleaner with a more precisely placed and drilled/milled port and finished screw. Otherwise it'd be like buying a brand new porsche with a dented bumper IMO. 

Hopefully this helped without shedding too much negative light  on Lynx. They're still working  out some very important kinks in this whole process so I just chalk this up to being part of the groundwork to something potentially very special. 

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, knightsofnii said:

Did a little comparison testing with my 3 other iron sets.  I was pulling and hooking a lot, and blocking some right with my graphite shafted C300s.  

The Black Cats are in the lead for feel at the very least, even compared to well struck shots with my AMP cell Pro MB irons!  I need to do launch monitor comparos to learn anything more.  

20190811_170135.thumb.jpg.e18befa90a3292cdc0328490dae7bb34.jpg

I also included a couple 4i in the mix.  Today was my first experience with a 4i.  Holy cow the ball gets sent, mid penetrating trajectory, a couple over 200 yds, but mishits were punished quite a bit.  

The 5i Black Cat works quite well.  I was flying that about 175 on the range, so I would add 5-8yds if hitting a new ball.  It had better feel and accuracy than the other 3.  I have a hunch the 5-8i might be winners, and the 9 and PW may be equal to others, but I really need computer data so stay tuned 🙂

Arccos is on order also, bday gift to myself, next Sunday.  We'll see if the missus got me anything golf related also 🙂

Thats quite a pot pourri of clubs you have going on there!

I've got that same Cobra Amp in a 4w. Put a UST Elements Chrome shaft on it and it's as if Mrs. Buttersworth and the incredible Hulk had a love child. Sweet, buttery, and just smashes! I'm yet to find anything on the shelf today that compares to my 7 year old AMP. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

So not a trick OR lighting. It's a port hole. Not to be confused with a portal.. .. ..
Story: When we got our clubs, myself and [mention=55830]JudgeSmails[/mention] opted for the chrome finish. Well we both received 7 irons with what appeared to be punched port holes or possibly casting blemishes. Additionally my 5i had a pretty wicked rattle going on. 
We informed Lynx and they quickly responded that the 7 irons were prototypes for next year and that we shouldn't have gotten them as they weren't a finished product. At least that's how I understood it. Apparently the rattle was also a common issue with the closed models and the ports allow them to fish out any post-casting debris. Makes plenty of sense
The upside is that there is no performance loss and it's strictly aesthetic and not at all visible at address. It has however become a slightly negative talking point though as many people have taken high interest in the clubs at courses, range, PGATSS, Van's, etc and ALWAYS ask about my 5 and 7. 
Not only do they just look a bit odd, but the port just kind of looks like an afterthought. It's not precision drilled or milled but punched or cast as there's an indentation and it's rather off-center. Additionally the holes are just filled in with what appears to be a rubber plug of some sort. Ultimately we settled on what we got because after all we paid nothing for the clubs and they're still outstanding. 
InShot_20190811_194440516.thumb.jpg.d0b234a56806766db6ed5f82dbc10826.jpg
We didn't want  to  make much of a public issue out of it as Lynx did attempt to address it in a quick manner. I think we all had a feeling that at some point it would be noticed and questioned. After all we are dealing with world-class golf spys here. 
Hopefully the finished product will be cleaner with a more precisely placed and drilled/milled port and finished screw. Otherwise it'd be like buying a brand new porsche with a dented bumper IMO. 
Hopefully this helped without shedding too much negative light  on Lynx. They're still working  out some very important kinks in this whole process so I just chalk this up to being part of the groundwork to something potentially very special. 
Thank you for the explanation, I was curious if it might be a tungsten weight but in the video it looked a bit hexagonal. It had me wondering if they might have done it for some of the mid and long irons to add forgiveness. As a prototype club, I wouldn't see that as an issue but as a way Lynx is looking at ways to improve the performance in future clubs. Watching the video of how workable that 7 iron is, I definitely don't see any issues with performance.

The Prowler irons are definitely sharp looking, and I'm really rooting for Lynx to succeed with them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So not a trick OR lighting. It's a port hole. Not to be confused with a portal.. 🛸.. 👽..🤣

Story: When we got our clubs, myself and @JudgeSmails opted for the chrome finish. Well we both received 7 irons with what appeared to be punched port holes or possibly casting blemishes. Additionally my 5i had a pretty wicked rattle going on. 

We informed Lynx and they quickly responded that the 7 irons were prototypes for next year and that we shouldn't have gotten them as they weren't a finished product. At least that's how I understood it. Apparently the rattle was also a common issue with the closed models and the ports allow them to fish out any post-casting debris. Makes plenty of sense👍

InShot_20190811_194440516.jpg

We didn't want  to  make much of a public issue out of it as Lynx did attempt to address it in a quick manner. I think we all had a feeling that at some point it would be noticed and questioned. After all we are dealing with world-class golf spys here. 😎

Should note that Lynx sent me a replacement 7 iron, but it still had the same hole in it.  I'm not too worried about it, I don't think it will affect anything.

• Like 5

My gapping appears very workable with the 5-PW Black Cats. This chart shows club ranges in my 6 rounds with the Black Cats. 

image.thumb.png.7603606e4730dd2a9364325a28f0838c.png

Usage of clubs in some instances is still pretty shallow ( 5 and 9) so I think these number will smooth out some.

image.thumb.png.ce26a71c733a0463ad66907a27338a7b.png

Played two more rounds last week inducing an eagle Thursday and a round at Moody Gardens Golf Course on Galveston Island Sunday. In these two rounds achieved 2 personal bests.

image.png.1fa6ab8bf981969bbd9dac335fc8f8bf.png

image.thumb.png.2a1cf2eb661cb669925771679fbdd0d3.png

Had to throw this one in there even though no irons were used, I don't eagle very often.

Then there was Moody Gardens where I rarely play but it is very challenging. Hole 11 was straight into a 10-15 mph wind and typical of this track Lots and Lots of water! I only lost 2 balls.

image.png.50b55951f5e7c01112bdc4a482d2095a.png             image.png.a17791f5cb08e07f8a4154a856fd801a.png

image.thumb.png.e8a3fff1e8c821f9f25ab9c41c97ac03.png

Both rounds were played under a heat advisory here in south Texas 100+ degrees🔥

My game is benefiting from the improved conditions as we had such a wet spring and now in spite of the heat the courses around here are in great shape. The Black Cats have continued to perform well and give me confidence every time I step up to the ball🏌️‍♂️    

• Like 5

How many yards difference are you seeing in carry between the two?

I don’t have any launch monitor numbers but on course I hit the 8 iron 140-145 with a nice controlled swing. The 9 iron is about 135 the few times I have hit it. The 9 iron is probably the least used club for me as I don’t find myself at the right yardage to use it very often.

• Like 4

Played on outing on Friday.  Hole #18 about 150 from pin center of green for our second shot.  Took the 7iron, with an easy swing and almost holed it. The ball mark was 6inches to the left of the hole.  We were on the next hole of the scramble before I even thought about getting a picture.  Guess I was just living in the moment.  There are a few things I will want  to address in the stage 2, but for now, they are trying hard to stay in my bag.

• Like 4

For those playing the VT - is there anything you would like to see changed at this point?

Well.. as much as I tried to like the Lamkin grips, I'm going to have my favorite Star grips installed today. Can't wait! 0813190651.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 5

On 8/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, azstu324 said:

So here are a few videos

This first one is to demonstrate the acoustics. The camera didn't quite pick up the PW and 9i like I'd hoped but you can still see a subtle difference. Toe strikes tend to amplify the sound.

PW Video. 

9i video

7i shapes. Draw, Fade, and Low. Please excuse the awkward hand signals.

3i Stinger

This one is the bonus video. The 3 and 4 are just low blistering rockets. So fun to hit!

Great stuff Stu!  On the last video of the 4 iron, after you striped it down the middle and walked towrard the screen, I thought you were going to go all Alex Etches on us for a moment.   If you know who he is, you know what I mean, if you don't him, check him out his videos are great and very humorous as well.   

Here's a link to one of his videos to check him out, he starts hitting around the 2:00 minute mark.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great stuff Stu!  On the last video of the 4 iron, after you striped it down the middle and walked towrard the screen, I thought you were going to go all Alex Etches on us for a moment.   If you know who he is, you know what I mean, if you don't him, check him out his videos are great and very humorous as well.   

Here's a link to one of his videos to check him out, he starts hitting around the 2:00 minute mark.

Oh I do love me some GolfBox! 😆 I wish my videos were as animated as Alex's

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 4

For those playing the VT - is there anything you would like to see changed at this point?

Still a lot of rounds left for this guy before we are finished but as of now my only complaint would be how the ball is effected by wind. I am contemplating putting a c taper lite 110 shaft in my 7 iron for a comparison. I already hit a high ball so I’m thinking the Tour 90 shaft might be exacerbating the problem.

• Like 1

Got data! 🙂

it took most of my half hour session at PGA Tour Superstore just to figure out how to display the numbers.  Then after getting 75 shots, what to do with them all.  So I took video while I toggled thru each shot. I just finished entering all the data into excel 🙂 .  Ball goes much farther in the computer, it seems.  

No conclusions yet.  Soon. 

20190812_191413.thumb.jpg.bb661cc33ed99c79bd1da45ff7abfd4e.jpg

20190812_191640.thumb.jpg.27bee0846f7c5549e72900c6ddbb0d78.jpg

20190813_111250_1.gif

• Like 6