Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Mickelson moves ahead of Tiger in the world rankings for the first time in 14 years

72strokes

http://72strokes.com/2011/04/mickelson-moves-ahead-of-tiger-in-the-world-rankings-for-the-first-time-in-14-years/

Mickelson moves ahead of Tiger in the world rankings for the first time in 14 years

by Derek on April 4, 2011

owgr.jpg

Phil Mickelson World Rankings ahead of Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson's win on Sunday at the Shell Houston Open moved him into 3rd place in the world golf rankings (from 6th) while Tiger, who didn't play, slid from 5th to 7th. This is the first time that Mickelson has led Tiger in the world rankings in 14 years (since the 1997 Masters).

Many golf fans probably asked themselves today if Hell had finally frozen over. Ok, that's a bit dramatic, but after Mickelson was unable to move ahead of Woods on 15 separate occasions last year, it seemed like it would never happened. However on Sunday, Mickelson finally pulled out a big win when he needed it and vaulted past Woods.

Mickelson is now just over a point behind world #1 Martin Kaymer. I'm not sure exactly how the math works out, but if Phil wins at Augusta this week, he would have to be very, very close to the #1 spot. Last week, I would have told you that it meant he had no chance of winning. This week, well, I'm not so sure anymore.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

I am glad that Phil passed up tiger. I don't think that Phil is done yet. I don't think he will be number one but at least he can still when a couple of majors.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Something like this was inevitable with Tiger no longer winning. Kind of fancy how he stayed at No. 1 for so long after NOT winning or even playing for such long periods. Even when he played and was winning, he did not play very often but won more than often enough.

Now I suppose we will witness musical chairs amongst the coterie. The winningest golfer in more than a decade has finally stopped winning and the pretenders are scrabbling over the leavings.

Shambles

I really thought Phil was already done in his career, but the short game lecture he gave last week just made me regret every word. He's got the best chance in his career for this year's Masters; a couple of more good performances and he'll be fighting for the first spot, just again....

Tiger built up such a large lead he only needed to play top 25 in the tournaments he played in over the last couple of years to stay their, however not to be ...he will stuggle to get back to No1 however you never know ... my view ... no chance ...

Archived