Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Vokey CC Wedges

• SPY VIP

Technically speaking these haven't "just arrived" we've had them for about a month or so, and testing has actually been completed, although it will be a little while before the review posts. I wanted to try and point out the progression in sole width from 52 to 64 degrees (really like the grind on the 64). There's are reason why these are probably the most popular wedge on the market today.

vokey-1.jpg

vokey-2.jpg

vokey-3.jpg

vokey-5.jpg

vokey-6.jpg

vokey-7.jpg

vokey-8.jpg

vokey-10.jpg

vokey-12.jpg

vokey-13.jpg

vokey-14.jpg

vokey-15.jpg

vokey-16.jpg

vokey-17.jpg

vokey-19.jpg

vokey-20.jpg

vokey-21.jpg

vokey-22.jpg

vokey-4.jpg

vokey-9.jpg

vokey-11.jpg

vokey-18.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

very cool...

Maybe someone can answer this for me... how often should you replace your wedges? I have read that they should be replaced every year, but mine are 3 years old and still seem to be working fine... I know the technology is changing, but do the groves really wear down enough that they need to be replaced more often than any other club in the bag?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Mudfish - it really depends on a few things. How often you play and also how much you hit that wedge out of the sand.

Sand will wear grooves faster then other surfaces. So generally sand wedge grooves wear faster. Also it is really the groove edges that wear more then the actual groove itself....which in turn means you might not see the wear but still might be losing some minor spin rates. But in general if you play 1-2 times a week you can often get away with every 2 to maybe 3 seasons. If you play more often you might want to consider changing more often.

very cool...

Maybe someone can answer this for me... how often should you replace your wedges? I have read that they should be replaced every year, but mine are 3 years old and still seem to be working fine... I know the technology is changing, but do the groves really wear down enough that they need to be replaced more often than any other club in the bag?

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Is that 60* grind better than the 64* grind out of bunkers?

It's not a case of better or worse really. It depends on your swing, and what type of sand you're playing out of. Distance also matters, obviously. Most of the courses I play have sand nothing like what you see on the PGA tour (it's not fluffy), so unless I'm playing one of the resort courses, I tend to carry a sand wedge with only moderate bounce. My current 64 has 9 degrees of bounce. The two I'm considering replacing it with have 7 and 12. Both have fairly aggressive grinds on the leading edge, so effective bounce would be lower on both, which makes them less than ideal, even for the soft dirt bunkers I play out of.

In reality, I almost never play my 64 out of a bunker. The only exceptions are times when the bunker is deep and/or the green is elevated. As much as I love the 64, it's a feast or famine club, and it's very easy to make a big mistake with it (either hitting it too soft, or picking it clean and carrying it 40 yards longer than I want to. 9 times out of 10 I play the 56 out of a bunker. When I carried a 60 I was much more inclined to use that out of a bunker than I am with the 64.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

They sure do look nice. I prefer a 60 degree out of green side bunkers, epecially if there is little green to work with. Drop down to my 56 degree wedge for the longer bunker shots with more green.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

very cool...

As the Head Spy said, it depends on how much you play and practice. I have High School and College players that go through 2 sets of wedges a year. I, on the other hand, am still playing Cleveland CG12's from 2 seasons ago that look new. (I need to find time to hit the course).

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Great information thanks guys.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

very cool...

I have to say that I agree with Golf Spy on the wear thing. Living and playing in the coastal area our wedges wear faster because ofthe natural sand etc. On the groove issue i have an different opinion from others. My Vokeys are about 5 years old and Ray Charles could spot the wear on them I can still spin them sufficently. My friend has a 52 and 60 Clevlands that are absolutely worn out. I hit his 60 out of a trap practicing a while back and like him could spin the heck out of it and it is absolutely worn out he has had it 15 years or so and he plays and practices regulary. As far as the groove answer I can not give any absolutes because what I have observed goes against both popular and "scientific" opinion.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have been gaming one since Feb. So 2 full months of being gamed. It has near 50 rounds + practicing on the grooves. I stripped the oilcan finish with a coke bath. No rust, but I like the raw metal finish. I have the 58° with 8° of bounce. I have learned to play for more roll on chips and pitches. I use my old 54° SM a lot more than my 58cc but I still like it.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Archived