Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

So with everything on lockdown, I have a simple net setup in my backyard. Since I have no way to know ball flight, I am focusing on impact. Using foot spray, I am doing something similar to the following:

1. Setup center, hit toe side
  2. Setup center, hit heel side
  3. Setup toe, hit center
  4. Setup heel, hit center
  5. Setup center, hit center

I have been toying around with vertical impact as well, putting a ball on a tee and repeating the drills.

Does anyone have other impact drills I can add to the mix as this gets pretty boring after 45 minutes!

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

24 minutes ago, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

So with everything on lockdown, I have a simple net setup in my backyard. Since I have no way to know ball flight, I am focusing on impact. Using foot spray, I am doing something similar to the following:

3. Setup toe, hit center

I have been toying around with vertical impact as well, putting a ball on a tee and repeating the drills.

Does anyone have other impact drills I can add to the mix as this gets pretty boring after 45 minutes!

Without some kind of basic launch monitor, drills are somewhat limited.  Here's the MGS test link for monitors.  

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-personal-launch-monitor-2019/

One of the best uses for a net in the backyard (or indoors) is capturing your swing on video for your own analysis or with a swing coach.  With a smartphone or tablet there are apps to capture your swing, some free.  Capture face-on and down-the-line.  Once you have a baseline of your current swing, any change you make can be compared to the baseline to see how your swing has been affected.

Personally, I'm not sure what you mean by #1 and 2 in your post.  I am assuming that you are setting up with the clubhead centered on the ball, then trying to hit the ball on the toe and heel.  That is not something I would ever try to do.  I always try to hit the center of the club face.  Doesn't happen a lot, and bad things happen when I hit towards the toe or heel.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

3. Setup toe, hit center

I would check out Adam Young;  he sent out 3 drills that work on face contact,  low point, and arc depth.  None of these are something you want to do for hours and hours though.    I'd suggest short game work.  Pitch/chip to targets in your yard and setup targets on a ladder about 6 feet away and work on controlling chip/pitch height. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Without some kind of basic launch monitor, drills are somewhat limited.  Here's the MGS test link for monitors.  

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-personal-launch-monitor-2019/

One of the best uses for a net in the backyard (or indoors) is capturing your swing on video for your own analysis or with a swing coach.  With a smartphone or tablet there are apps to capture your swing, some free.  Capture face-on and down-the-line.  Once you have a baseline of your current swing, any change you make can be compared to the baseline to see how your swing has been affected.

Personally, I'm not sure what you mean by #1 and 2 in your post.  I am assuming that you are setting up with the clubhead centered on the ball, then trying to hit the ball on the toe and heel.  That is not something I would ever try to do.  I always try to hit the center of the club face.  Doesn't happen a lot, and bad things happen when I hit towards the toe or heel.  

I actually just got a flightscope Mevo in the mail today so I will be able to expand my routine. As @cnosil mentioned, I got these drills from Adam Young's strike plan. He says in his time as a coach, he has had more success getting people to improve contact by trying to strike off-center instead of just always trying to hit center.

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would check out Adam Young;  he sent out 3 drills that work on face contact,  low point, and arc depth.  None of these are something you want to do for hours and hours though.    I'd suggest short game work.  Pitch/chip to targets in your yard and setup targets on a ladder about 6 feet away and work on controlling chip/pitch height. 

Yeah I am going to start on his free drills he sent out, specifically arc height. Thanks for the reminder!

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

20 hours ago, ObsessiveIndecisive said:

3. Setup toe, hit center

Take tape and put one long strip down your target line and then one on either side. The goal is start the ball every time hitting on each side of the center/target line but not too far. This helps with Practicing shot making and stock shot.

Edited by awcarlisle01

2 hours ago, awcarlisle01 said:

Take tape and put one long strip down your target line and then one on either side. The goal is start the ball every time hitting on each side of the center/target line but not too far. This helps with Practicing shot making and stock shot.

So basically you are making two lanes, one to the right and one to the left and using the visual aid to work on shot shape? Something like this?s

28B6DE74-4C14-4DFD-BB79-908D11DE636B.jpeg

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow

The contact tester drill.  Hit a series of 5 balls, each ball at a different height on a tee. For example, the first ball could be on a three inch tee, the next on the mat, the next one half inch off the mat, etc.,  try it with different clubs, a wedge, mid iron, long iron and driver.  

Eyes closed drill.  

One arm swing drills.  

11 minutes ago, alfriday101 said:

The contact tester drill.  Hit a series of 5 balls, each ball at a different height on a tee. For example, the first ball could be on a three inch tee, the next on the mat, the next one half inch off the mat, etc.,  try it with different clubs, a wedge, mid iron, long iron and driver.  

Eyes closed drill.  

One arm swing drills.  

I like the height variability drill, going to try this one out!

50, 54, 58 RTX4

Srixon Zstar Yellow