Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Counterweight My Putter?

TTCarrera

I'm considering adding a 60 gram counterweight to my 35" Scotty Newport 2. My objective is to quiet and stabilize my hands during the stroke.

Should I just put it in the existing end? 

Or should I pull the grip, add 3 inches to the shaft and then install a longer grip so that I still grip it at 35", but have 3 inches of unsprung  shaft above my hands so that the putter acts similarly to the typical counterbalanced putters that have been on the market?

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

You can do either.  The extra length was how putters used to be counterbalanced to more mimic belly putters.  More recently the grips themselves have gotten heavier and many have weight ports to accept additional weight using more standard lengths. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, TTCarrera said:

I'm considering adding a 60 gram counterweight to my 35" Scotty Newport 2. My objective is to quiet and stabilize my hands during the stroke.

Should I just put it in the existing end? 

Or should I pull the grip, add 3 inches to the shaft and then install a longer grip so that I still grip it at 35", but have 3 inches of unsprung  shaft above my hands so that the putter acts similarly to the typical counterbalanced putters that have been on the market?

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

I read a good article from a master fitter about counterbalance that was really helpful for me. His main point boiled down to using counter weight to stop your wrists from breaking. When a putter is too head heavy/grip light, it will cause your wrist to break on your take away and then the head is trailing your hands. Then on impact you are “swinging” the club to catch up. 

Anyway, to answer the question you actually asked, I think you are better off not extending it and adding to the existing end. My understanding of balance and swing weight is that every 1/2” added is equal to reducing 5g from the grip side.

For me, I have a putter at 35” that is about 1.5” too long for me. I have 75g added to the end which helps stabilize my stroke but makes the putters total weight too much for me. So, once quarantine is over, I’m going to get it cut down 1.5” and then I should only need to add 30g to the grip. 

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

I recently replaced my stock putter grip with a Super Stroke Counter Core grip and have immediately noticed an improvement in keeping my hands quiet during putting. I started with the smallest weight (25g) for this season to test. Super Stroke has 50g and 75g weights available. I like how their system allows you to try different weights without re-gripping the putter. I believe Evnroll has an interesting solution to counterbalancing the putter grip. However I have never tried one personally.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

When I was fit for my putter we retro fit it with a 90 gram weight.  He pulled the grip off and it was installed in the shaft then we put the grip back on (we were even able to keep the original grip).  It feels quite solid between the hands, I like it a lot.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 5/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, tvangel said:

I recently replaced my stock putter grip with a Super Stroke Counter Core grip and have immediately noticed an improvement in keeping my hands quiet during putting. I started with the smallest weight (25g) for this season to test. Super Stroke has 50g and 75g weights available. I like how their system allows you to try different weights without re-gripping the putter. I believe Evnroll has an interesting solution to counterbalancing the putter grip. However I have never tried one personally.

I used the same system, and it worked perfectly...

20200426_111857.jpg

Yes. fantastic to test with the superstroke system as you can easily change out the weights to get the right feel.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend back weighing putters to get desired feel and/or to quiet hands during stroke. Been doing it for years. I am not in favor of longer putter lengths and choking down. I would rather have my putter the correct length and add weight via Grip/..I.E. Super Stroke/counter core and/or under the grip. Many options in this  area. 

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of months ago I installed a Stability Tour shaft in my Odyssey O Works black #7 putter and at the same time put a 75g Superstroke Countercore weight in the new Traxion Tour 3.0 grip.  I’ve also been tinkering around with the sole weights as well to keep the swingweight from changing to drastically.  

It has made a big difference in the feel and smoothness of my putting stroke.  I had moved to left hand low putting several years ago to quiet my hands.  What I saw before my recent changes to the putter was a slight looping, almost a figure eight move on my takeaway and delivery at impact.  The counterbalancing has dramatically improved my takeaway and reduced the looping/rerouting.  It feels like my hands are much quieter now and my swing is more pendulum like.

I’ve been putting better than ever since the changes.

Glad I listened to the guys on the forum about not being afraid to tinker with my clubs.

Best wishes for success as you fine tune and dial in your putter.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels