Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

taylormade 2012

brookswilliams

• SPY VIP

This thread did talk about the velocity channel back in October...

We saw pics in October, but because of the legal machine, and admittedly some pushing on my part to try and build some good will with TM we sat on them.

Looking at the fairway wood, and let's say refined shape of the driver...I'm a little amazed at how much, at least at face value, seems to have been borrowed from Adams.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We saw pics in October, but because of the legal machine, and admittedly some pushing on my part to try and build some good will with TM we sat on them.

Looking at the fairway wood, and let's say refined shape of the driver...I'm a little amazed at how much, at least at face value, seems to have been borrowed from Adams.

FYI, Nike had the compression channel before Adams had the velocity slot.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

FYI, Nike had the compression channel before Adams had the velocity slot.

Fair enough, but at best I'd say the Adams design borrows from the Nike. The new TM design, looks nearly identical to the Adams.

But again...really curious about the actual performance regardless of the bells and whistles, acronyms, and other marketing speak.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

The boys at the shop got to hit all the new stuff last week. Unfortunately, it was on my day off. Reviews have been mixed so far. A couple of the guys have said that the RBZ fairway and hybrid could go straight into their bags. These were both players that currently do not have a single TM product in play. Nobody really loved the RBZ driver. R11s driver was about 50/50. I don't have any LM data, so all of this is anecdotal. As soon as Fred comes by the shop on a day that I work, I will have more to say.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

The boys at the shop got to hit all the new stuff last week. Unfortunately, it was on my day off. Reviews have been mixed so far. A couple of the guys have said that the RBZ fairway and hybrid could go straight into their bags. These were both players that currently do not have a single TM product in play. Nobody really loved the RBZ driver. R11s driver was about 50/50. I don't have any LM data, so all of this is anecdotal. As soon as Fred comes by the shop on a day that I work, I will have more to say.

What I'm hearing so far is mixed on the RBZ fairway. It's really the signature club of the new lineup, I think, and certainly the one that people are paying the most attention to. There are curious aspects about the RBZ driver I hope to have an opportunity to talk to TaylorMade about. This is the first I've heard either way about the hybrids, but I think when drivers and +17 yards fairway woods are in the mix, hybrids are going to get less attention anyway.

The R11s seems more like a an alternative, rather than a replacement for the original. If one feels there is benefit from the ASP (and even more benefit by a more configurable version), or simply wants a bigger head, it's a good option. It will be interesting to see what the refined head shape does for performance.

Visually, I do like the sole graphics better on the new one. Of course, it's a who cares thing where performance is concerned, but less white on the sole will probably keep it looking a bit cleaner.

It's unlikely I'd bag the fairway, not because it's TaylorMade, or because of the name, but simply because I haven't carried a fairway wood since April, and my game is better for it. I'd also be hard-pressed to replace my current hybrids as well (just really, really like them, and I hit them well, so I'm not really looking). The R11s...maybe. I'm 99% certain I'll be moving to an adjustable driver in the spring. Nike, Cally, and TaylorMade will all be in the mix, but from without regard to performance, I think TaylorMade offers the most consumer friendly system, so strange as it might sound coming out of my mouth, that's where I'm leaning.

I am still waiting for the Adams proto 3 wood to come out. I will have to see the launch monitor data for the TM's, I just don't like the direction that they are going.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

It's unlikely I'd bag the fairway, not because it's TaylorMade, or because of the name, but simply because I haven't carried a fairway wood since April, and my game is better for it. I'd also be hard-pressed to replace my current hybrids as well (just really, really like them, and I hit them well, so I'm not really looking). The R11s...maybe. I'm 99% certain I'll be moving to an adjustable driver in the spring. Nike, Cally, and TaylorMade will all be in the mix, but from without regard to performance, I think TaylorMade offers the most consumer friendly system, so strange as it might sound coming out of my mouth, that's where I'm leaning.

Why has no other company realized how much TM benefits from authentic FCT tips being readily available? Because of the amount of great shafts I have with FCT tips, I'm basically locked into TM drivers. For the gear addict/tinkerer, there's not even another option out there (I know there are "after market" tips available for 910's, but I'd prefer it be available straight from the OEM).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Why has no other company realized how much TM benefits from authentic FCT tips being readily available? Because of the amount of great shafts I have with FCT tips, I'm basically locked into TM drivers. For the gear addict/tinkerer, there's not even another option out there (I know there are "after market" tips available for 910's, but I'd prefer it be available straight from the OEM).

100% Absolutely This. What happened with Callaway I-MIX adapters was silly. When they first hit eBay, prices were in the $100 range. With Titleist and Nike (and presumably Cobra, though I have no first hand knowledge), they all want the consumer to send them the shaft. 2 week turn around time at best, for something that should take no longer than it takes for the epoxy to dry. While some don't care, it frustrates the hell out of the tinkerers among us. It's such a small thing, and yet, as you said, TaylorMade seems to be the only ones that have figured out that making tips available at retail is a huge win win...ESPECIALLY if older tips maintain compatibility with updates to the FCT system.

What I'm hearing so far is mixed on the RBZ fairway. It's really the signature club of the new lineup, I think, and certainly the one that people are paying the most attention to. There are curious aspects about the RBZ driver I hope to have an opportunity to talk to TaylorMade about. This is the first I've heard either way about the hybrids, but I think when drivers and +17 yards fairway woods are in the mix, hybrids are going to get less attention anyway.

The R11s seems more like a an alternative, rather than a replacement for the original. If one feels there is benefit from the ASP (and even more benefit by a more configurable version), or simply wants a bigger head, it's a good option. It will be interesting to see what the refined head shape does for performance.

Visually, I do like the sole graphics better on the new one. Of course, it's a who cares thing where performance is concerned, but less white on the sole will probably keep it looking a bit cleaner.

Actually, the white stays cleaner and looks better longer than the PVD portions that are black because the PVD coating scratches much easier than the hardened white paint. The ASP plate is anodixed red and for those that contact the ground, they scratch easy too. Mine still looks perfectly pristine (and so does the Japanese Tour gold 1* plate I have on mine) because I don't sole the club nor strike the ground with mine, but I've seen them where they're down to bare metal and the white still be perfectly fine.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

So, how's the claim of 17 yards now? Bwahahahahaha, how long is the logo staying shaved? I tried to tell you that club is long.

In The Bag

Archived