Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

NPG Episode 82: Should retailers start charging for demos? Ft. Bob Parsons

Duration: 00:49:53

PXG founder Bob Parsons joins us today with his take on the future of golf retail and how PXG is adapting their approach to selling clubs.

0:52 - An unorthodox approach to golf ads
3:40 - Retailers are reportedly charging to demo clubs
11:29 - Could the solution be as simple as providing demo sets?
19:08 - Does PXG have what it takes to be #1?
24:39 - What does the game of golf look like in a year?
30:32 - What's PXG doing differently than the big 5?
38:33 - The origin of "Parsons Xtreme Golf"
39:44 - Bob's favorite club & his philanthropic efforts
45:07 - Ask Bob: What was your most difficult business venture?

Listen Here

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I found the conversation about retailer demos very interesting, and I have to say I'm kind of with the retailers on this one. While $50 seems a bit much for your average box store, I think it would accomplish the goal of deterring shoppers from simply kicking the tires on something they really have no intention to buy. This is precisely why I've never bothered to hit any clubs while browsing a golf store. I'll also say that if box stores want to implement such a policy that they also better step up their game in the hitting bay - make sure launch monitors are properly calibrated and that your fitters are at least competent with stock offerings. To me, it's really not much different than an outfit like Club Champion charging for a fitting, but the service level best match the cover charge and I think we can all agree that Golf Galaxy will never come close to offering what Club Champion, TXG, or True Spec can.

The only other thing I'll say about the podcast is that Bob Parsons was truly a pleasure! Usually, when I read something about Bob or read/hear a PXG ad it turns me off a bit. I like PXG products (though I've never owned or even tested any). It all tends to come off a bit hyperbolic though. After listening, I got the impression that Bob is really a pretty good guy with an interesting backstory and a true belief in his products. Seems reasonable to me.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Got to ditto on this one:

I'll also say that if box stores want to implement such a policy that they also better step up their game in the hitting bay - make sure launch monitors are properly calibrated and that your fitters are at least competent with stock offerings.

If I "pay" anything for any level of demo, the expertise of the attendant better match or exceed the expense, because we ALL know what we get for "free".

If stores cannot, or will not deliver a level or expertise, then I will just do it all online, with the manufacturer, etc and leave out the "what good is it anyway" store front retailer.

:ping: G410 Plus 

:ping: G15 Draw 15.5

:ping: G15 Draw 18.5

:ping: G15 Irons 3-PW

:ping: Tour-W 54°

:ping: Tour-W 60°

:PXG: Bat Attack Flatso 3.0

:wilsonstaff: SmartCore

:GolfPride: Tour Wrap

I really enjoyed this Podcast. I have heard Bob speak before so I knew he was a "good guy" who just happens to have a SheetTon of Money that he was able to start a business he was passionate about and to do it like nobody has ever done before.

I'm glad to see from many of the comments on the FB post that the interview changed so many people opinion of Bob and PXG.  They had just thought he was some egomaniac that charge outrageous prices for the 1%.  But he and his wife have done so many great things for veterans, that went largely unnoticed.   But to hear he gives away 1 million dollars every 14 days to these charities is just incredible. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Enjoyed the insight from Bob about PXG and his approach in general 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Golf big box stores are between a rock and a hard place, but showrooming has impacted just about every consumer product for at least 10 years. Lots of people think there's nothing wrong with going to a brick-n-mortar to see the goods, try them on/out and even pick the brains of employees - all while knowing they'll be buying online from whoever is cheapest (not the B-n-M retailer). I don't know what the solution is, other than scaling back brick-n-mortar to only enough to support online sales, and making the products cost the same in store versus online. [Remember when stores were still charging higher prices in store versus online - and how quickly that ended?] That's why most stores don't have much inventory anymore, so you can't buy in store even if you want to - because people have been showrooming them for years. People buy small stuff in stores, and big ticket items online - and store inventories match that behavior...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

The local Edwin Watts stopped allowing you to demo clubs a few years ago.  Before that, you could take out a demo or used club to the course to try it out. Pretty much soured me on EW.  95% of my equipment purchases are made at a local independent shop.  He lets me take demos and used clubs to the course to try.  He has a limited inventory on hand but the customer service is great.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

My initial thought is heck no, no way would I pay$50 to demo a club, especially in a big box store like dick's/golf Galaxy. You have the simulator/hitting bays there for that reason, and those that I have been to generally sell those demos at the end of the season. If someone were wanting to try a driver they didn't have a demo for, they could say sorry we don't have that, or allow them to demo it, and now they do have a demo available for other customers (assuming the first didn't buy it). Irons, well if there isn't a demo, then sorry, maybe at least they have something similar from the same brand, or a used one.

I would be willing for demoing the way sub 70 does it. For$120 they send you what irons you want to demo in a 6 and 9 iron. You demo them, then send them back, and they credit you$100, so in the end it is just $20 to demo at home, on the range, on the course with your own ball. I would love to do this with Cobra one length irons as I have been greatly intrigued, and demoing a 7 iron in that doesn't really do anything.

For the showrooming, more stores need to have better price matching policies. I like that best buy matches their own online prices and Amazon's prices (shipped and sold from Amazon, not third party sellers) and all I have to do is show them on my phone, super easy. Price match legit retailers, it isn't hard. And if I can get it for the same price, maybe save on shipping (though most places do free shipping) and have it right now, then awesome. Why would I wait a few days even to get the same thing for the same price?

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

I enjoyed the comments from Bob Parsons, he definitely “shoots from the hip”

as far as demos go, no way I would pay $50 in a big box store to hit some demo clubs. I would be more apt to go to a reputable fitter and pay for a full fitting on what ever I was looking to buy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson