Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade 300 Series Mini Driver.

BostonSal

TGW is showing something called the TaylorMade 300 Series Mini Driver,

BUT

they're not offering customization so this tells me that it's no longer a current model.

I'm hitting a well broken in Ping G10, but only on three wide open holes, because I'm hitting it foul pole to foul pole..

On other than those wide open holes, I'm content to poke driving iron safely into play.

I have an intuition--it's nothing more than that--that the 13.5º Mini Driver might be able to bring me up to five or even six driver-hitting holes.

Our Pro Shop at the club is 90-95% out of the golf club selling business.

I have no way of testing  this so-called mini-driver.

If I were to spring for it, it would have to be entirely on intuition and faith.

I quite recently had my nads busted on a similar transaction so I'm more than a tad gun shy.  

For the sake of discussion, what mini-driver connoisseurs do we have at MGS?

This a a pretty straight laced group for such an off-the-beaten-path concept,  

so this may not be a high percentage question to ask.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

There is customization allowed for that. It was released this year and is still available on TaylorMade’s website where you will see there is no customization of shaft. 

Mini drivers are more of a niche product. They fit into a second driver option for some people. They aren’t a product that’s taking off whether it was the various Callaway models or the TaylorMade ones

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Mini drivers are more of a niche product. They fit into a second driver option for some people. They aren’t a product that’s taking off whether it was the various Callaway models or the TaylorMade ones

I totally agree, RickyBobby, but they may be right for me.

I only hit the 460cc  driver on three wide open holes as I said.

Maybe if I replaced it with a mini-driver, I could move up to five or six holes played with driver.

Mini-driver will be longer than driving iron if I can keep it straight.

Only ten clubs in my bag are coordinated as a set:

long fairway wood.....high loft fairway wood.....5-PW......middle wedge......high loft / low bounce wedge.

Just those ten. They must cover all of the fairway yardages of which I'm capable.

Four clubs--driver, driving iron, specialty sand wedge, and putter are not a coordinated part of the set.

They're specialty clubs that I could stick into any bag, together or separately.

Specialty clubs are part of my mindset where others may eschew all of them save driver and putter.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

TXG did a review of it - this might at least help you get a better idea of whether it could be a good fit for your game.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I totally agree, RickyBobby, but they may be right for me.

I only hit the 460cc  driver on three wide open holes as I said.

Maybe if I replaced it with a mini-driver, I could move up to five or six holes played with driver.

Mini-driver will be longer than driving iron if I can keep it straight.

Only ten clubs in my bag are coordinated as a set:

long fairway wood.....high loft fairway wood.....5-PW......middle wedge......high loft / low bounce wedge.

Just those ten. They must cover all of the fairway yardages of which I'm capable.

Four clubs--driver, driving iron, specialty sand wedge, and putter are not a coordinated part of the set.

They're specialty clubs that I could stick into any bag, together or separately.

Specialty clubs are part of my mindset where others may eschew all of them save driver and putter.

It might but it might not especially if the shaft isn’t a fit for you and may cost some money to tinker. 

Its also low spin so if you need spin it might not be a good fit.

Would recommend testing it somewhere 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

With the original 43.75" shaft this will be a bit shorter than a driver.  With a 44.5" to 45" shaft the distance comparison is closer.  I have an 11.5° Mini turned down one setting lower (10.8°) with the Fujikura Ventus Blue (non-Velocore) 5S made for TM shaft at 44.5" and it is nearly as long as my M3 440 9° (at 9.9°).  The data from the trackman when I demoed the 300 Mini 11.5° with a driver length made for TM Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S 45" the data showed me hitting the 300 Mini a few yards farther than the M3.  The 300 Mini allows me a little better ability to work the ball.  Some believe the 300 Mini is a novelty but I think when comparing it with 460cc drivers with the same type shaft (in terms of length) the 300 Mini is comparable.  While the sweet spot is a bit smaller a good, repeating, swing will have strikes more in the center anyway to render the larger sweet spot moot.  To me this club is not a fairway wood replacement but a 440cc/460cc driver replacement.  The head is large enough not to look too small.  Then again I started playing with laminated woods and shortly played persimmon drivers which were around 185cc-190cc.

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 4 weeks later...

What'd you decide?  I'm also torn on this mini driver option.  I'm looking for a new driver option.  Hitting a Ping Rapture Driver that I love look and feel and sound of and feel like I need to try something more forgiving (modern). I hit one of these at a demo day recently and was really pleased with all of the above.  Smaller head, carbon look, sound, etc.   Felt like I was striping it fairly well.  I have an older Cleveland Launcher 3W - so I'm torn between this mini driver and possibly the Titleist TSi3 3W.  I think the TSi3 3W may be as long as this mini driver giving me a new tee option but also give me a good off the turf option too.  

Edited by FairwayToHeaven

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/Std Mitsubishi Stiff Shaft

Cleveland 3W Launcher w/Fujikura S Flex

Cleveland 2i HiBORE XLS w/Fujikura S Flex

PING G400 4-PW Blue Dot Irons 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50* GW

Cleveland Tour Action 588 BeCu 53* SW

Cleveland Tour Action 900 56* SW

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab

Titleist ProV1