Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

Had physio today and Claire is the bees 🐝 knees too, she agreed my body issues are directly related to the month in a coma and subsequently losing 30kgs. So now working on the scarring that sits on and in my ribs by mobility exercises and massage that is very painful, but I’m ecstatic 🤩 3 years later I’ve someone that actually will help me heal long term and knows what strengthening areas to work on….

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Ok made up another Otto phlex driver today, Mizuno MP Type 2 using one of my Bassara L flex shafts, playing length is 44.5 but may add to the length if I need it but the shaft I picked was the lighter one thinking about swingweight. Will check in the morning when it's dry, I swapped the Mizuno adapter from the smoke shaft to the Bassara shaft and it's easy peasy on the Dining table but wifey out so it's a secret ok?...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I am wanting to jump in. I may need to go with a new head, as I play the g425 ls head currently. One question I have, I haven’t been able to sift through all 64 pages of this thread yet, has anyone tried the PLB in a regular yet? I am wondering because my swing speed has put me in a hard x normally (116-124 mph) and going down 2 flexes would put me in a reg. Also according to the Autoflex website, I would be playing the 505XX, which is a 57 gram shaft. I did see badgerrick in the a flex with a high swing speed, but wanted to ask as I keep reading.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

19 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

I am wanting to jump in. I may need to go with a new head, as I play the g425 ls head currently. One question I have, I haven’t been able to sift through all 64 pages of this thread yet, has anyone tried the PLB in a regular yet? I am wondering because my swing speed has put me in a hard x normally (116-124 mph) and going down 2 flexes would put me in a reg. Also according to the Autoflex website, I would be playing the 505XX, which is a 57 gram shaft. I did see badgerrick in the a flex with a high swing speed, but wanted to ask as I keep reading.

@BadgerRick how's the A flex holding up? You try out the R yet? 

@MuniGolfer you might also take a look at the A flex in the GWX model from Garafalloy offered through Golfworks. It plays a hair stiffer due to fractionally lower torque and is around 52g vs 45g. I would put it right between the blue A flex and R. Some of us are playing it on our woods and it's working awesome. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

@BadgerRick how's the A flex holding up? You try out the R yet? 

@MuniGolfer you might also take a look at the A flex in the GWX model from Garafalloy offered through Golfworks. It plays a hair stiffer due to fractionally lower torque and is around 52g vs 45g. I would put it right between the blue A flex and R. Some of us are playing it on our woods and it's working awesome. 

I will look into the GWX version. I may also try a Ping Alta CB in reg or soft r flex to see if the counter weight allows the experiment to work with the heavier lst head. I am seeing them on eBay for pretty low prices.

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

1 hour ago, MuniGolfer said:

There are different weights available for the 425 head, it may be simpler to simply buy a lighter weight screw than buying a new driver head. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Fred Mitchell said:

There are different weights available for the 425 head, it may be simpler to simply buy a lighter weight screw than buying a new driver head. 

Yes, I want to try this as well, before looking into a different head. 

3 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

One question I have, has anyone tried the PLB in a regular yet? I am wondering because my swing speed has put me in a hard x normally (116-124 mph) 

Hey man! I bought a regular and an A flex shaft. My driver swing speed averages 114-118 with occasional bursts over 120. The A flex is money once you figure out the tempo game. I think @azstu324 can also relate as he has reported similar speeds. I moved from a 70g X flex shaft. Tried it at the range last week and it felt like I was wielding Mjolnir itself. 

GHIN 7.8

D Callaway Epic Flash subzero 10.5 down to 9.5

3W Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 14.5

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

P Scotty Cameron 2014 Newport 2.0 Select

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

5 hours ago, carter18 said:

Hey man! I bought a regular and an A flex shaft. My driver swing speed averages 114-118 with occasional bursts over 120. The A flex is money once you figure out the tempo game. I think @azstu324 can also relate as he has reported similar speeds. I moved from a 70g X flex shaft. Tried it at the range last week and it felt like I was wielding Mjolnir itself. 

This is really good to hear. I am in a GD ad-tp 6x currently, coming down from a tensei 7x. I think I will start with the a flex and go from there.

Edited by MuniGolfer
Typo

24 minutes ago, carter18 said:

felt like I was wielding Mjolnir itself. 

Dude I nearly pi$$ed myself at work. That's the exact feeling I've had when trying to go back and swing even an S flex. Heavy and stiff, and just couldn't find a good rhythm. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

22 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

I will look into the GWX version. I may also try a Ping Alta CB in reg or soft r flex to see if the counter weight allows the experiment to work with the heavier lst head. I am seeing them on eBay for pretty low prices.

I'm about to order a G430 driver and 5, 7 and 9 woods with the Alta CB in soft regular.

Anxious to compare with the Pro Launch Blue A flex.

Planning to give the GWX a shot in one of the fairway woods as well.

2 hours ago, Vernon said:

I'm about to order a G430 driver and 5, 7 and 9 woods with the Alta CB in soft regular.

Anxious to compare with the Pro Launch Blue A flex.

Planning to give the GWX a shot in one of the fairway woods as well.

Very interested to see your comparison results. I may do both as well. I need to get the weight kit in order too.

This setup is getting better and better, the sun came out for a few days and the fairways started to firm up. The distances and carry are really helping me. It’s a total game changer, instead of playing to go through a narrow section, I just fly it.

Yesterday I just played easily and the distances were 260 yards no effort, then 280 yards with a bit of effort. Loving it and it’s migrating through my bag. 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

Had the chance to take out the G430 demo over the weekend.  It was the nine degree head with and Alta CB 55 gram shaft in "S" flex.  I swung at a dozen or so with the Alta but didn't really care for it and was hitting it too low.  Adjusted the loft up to the big plus setting but still just didn't hit it very good.

Just not a good fit I guess which is OK.

Plugged the Pro Launch Blue in and hit it great from the first swing.  Hit about fifteen more balls on the range that all were just effortless high long and straight to a few baby draws.  Was really excited heading to the first tee and then it all went to crap.

Hit a few popups and some smother hooks and just couldn't regain a feel for it although my brother was absolutely killing it.  

Just one of those things and certainly no fault of the club or the shaft.

Anyways, went back yesterday and started hitting it great again on the range right from the jump.  Decided to loft down to the stock nine degree setting and it got even better.  

Headed to the first tee again and only hit one bad drive the entire round - a popup off of ten tee.  Everything else was really good and picked up an average of more than twenty yards overall for the round (throwing out the popup) and had a 292, two more over 270 and five in the 260 range which is pretty good for me these days.

I had mentioned previously that the G425 Max head felt really heavy with the Pro Launch but didn't find that to be the case with the G430 Max. Pulled both of the backweights and the G425 was 29 grams and the G430 was 25.  

I dunno if four grams should seem that evident in my hands but it sure seem to.

Gonna play again this afternoon but am pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and order the nine degree G430 Max and will likely go with the Alta Soft Regular just for experimentation sake although I fully expect the Pro Launch to win out.

Also going to order 5, 7 and 9 woods with the same shaft.

God I love new toys!

16 hours ago, Vernon said:

Had the chance to take out the G430 demo over the weekend.  It was the nine degree head with and Alta CB 55 gram shaft in "S" flex.  I swung at a dozen or so with the Alta but didn't really care for it and was hitting it too low.  Adjusted the loft up to the big plus setting but still just didn't hit it very good.

Just not a good fit I guess which is OK.

Plugged the Pro Launch Blue in and hit it great from the first swing.  Hit about fifteen more balls on the range that all were just effortless high long and straight to a few baby draws.  Was really excited heading to the first tee and then it all went to crap.

Hit a few popups and some smother hooks and just couldn't regain a feel for it although my brother was absolutely killing it.  

Just one of those things and certainly no fault of the club or the shaft.

Anyways, went back yesterday and started hitting it great again on the range right from the jump.  Decided to loft down to the stock nine degree setting and it got even better.  

Headed to the first tee again and only hit one bad drive the entire round - a popup off of ten tee.  Everything else was really good and picked up an average of more than twenty yards overall for the round (throwing out the popup) and had a 292, two more over 270 and five in the 260 range which is pretty good for me these days.

I had mentioned previously that the G425 Max head felt really heavy with the Pro Launch but didn't find that to be the case with the G430 Max. Pulled both of the backweights and the G425 was 29 grams and the G430 was 25.  

I dunno if four grams should seem that evident in my hands but it sure seem to.

Gonna play again this afternoon but am pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and order the nine degree G430 Max and will likely go with the Alta Soft Regular just for experimentation sake although I fully expect the Pro Launch to win out.

Also going to order 5, 7 and 9 woods with the same shaft.

God I love new toys!

That sounds really positive! I think there is a tipping point and 4g is enough. But I also think the GPLB is more resistant, in std form it’s pretty stout or boardy … so in my view if your selecting a shaft, head in the direction of something that feels like that if your head weight is going to exceed 198g .. or step another flex down on it. 
If I had the resources and time, I would pull a matrix of shaft and heads together .. for me this is a fundamental rethink as to how we go about building our drivers up.  The fitters and big outlets are not really pursuing this .. I mean selling a 400-1000 dollar shaft to someone is more profitable than popping them into a 70 dollar one.

Although there is a competitive streak in me that says, keep quiet keep hitting beyond them … it is the elixir of youth 🤣🤣 .. shot my first single digit round at the weekend for a long time and that was on porridge greens and no birdies ( so short game was totally buggered- the scratchers were not breaking par) 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

I think I might pull the trigger on a Cobra LTD-X LS. I found a deal that might be too good to pass up.. or maybe too good to be true? The OP going in the Cobra is a non-question. I'm far past the point of no return on this one. The question remains, is there any extra distance to be gained with the Cobra vs my PXG 0311? 

I'm just wondering if maybe my quest for extra distance is becoming more obsession and less necessity.. could there be such a thing? 😜 I say that because the 0311 just satisfies all of the needs. There's NOTHING about it that I don't like or that doesn't work for me. BUT the question remains.. is there any more speed to be found in possible equipment improvement? And with a reasonable level of forgiveness to come with it? I'm up against fine lines all over the place here. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Posted this in CHA.. but of course it deserves a spot in here..😁

I picked this up this morning. It's used but I'd say "barely" used condition. 

What pushed me over the edge was that it's a limited Black edition and the price. I can pretty quickly sell the Tensei AV white XS (won't be needing that 🤣) for almost half of what I paid for the whole driver. 

I did go out on a limb with the 10.5° head though. When I tried the driver at Golf Galaxy, I hit the 9° with a UST Helium Senior Flex (another great option BTW). My flight and spin were actually very low. We shall see how the 10.5 works out.. maybe turned down to 9.5 or 9°. 

The heads about 6g lighter than what my 0311's weighing in at so I'll probably need to tinker with some weights. 

20230413_094949.jpg.71631149857f34b961fa4f41881fa478.jpg

20230413_094843.jpg.9851b20d9500f81630b61e1a0b6ecedd.jpg

20230413_094206.jpg.f23dd8d56403907f339a248aa1701f50.jpg

20230413_094126.jpg.62bc667ab801d0ac67e25f9818a43d58.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

What is everyone's total driver weight in their Otto Phlex set up? I just ran my #s again yesterday because I wanted to start playing around with D2 swing weight. I do use the golf pride MCC +4 grip in midsize which is a fairly heavy grip. My overall weight is at 343 grams.  Seems a bit on the heavier side. I am considering taking .5" off of the PLB and readjusting to see what that comes to.  Anyone having success up near that heavy of a set up?

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

Bag: BagBoy ZTF 2023 https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/59331-2023-forum-member-test-bag-boy-ztf-bag/

1 hour ago, carter18 said:

What is everyone's total driver weight in their Otto Phlex set up? I just ran my #s again yesterday because I wanted to start playing around with D2 swing weight. I do use the golf pride MCC +4 grip in midsize which is a fairly heavy grip. My overall weight is at 343 grams.  Seems a bit on the heavier side. I am considering taking .5" off of the PLB and readjusting to see what that comes to.  Anyone having success up near that heavy of a set up?

So here's my optimal setup with my PLB playing at 45" and D2 and in my PXG 0311 head. 

Total weight of 310.8g and head weight of 199g

20230414_073451.jpg.d08a754b8b40d415b3d2ba42e2e70067.jpg

20230414_074135.jpg.9a1fd265d6615e28fff9088e803f4101.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Placed an order this morning for a Ping G430 Max nine degree driver with the Alta Distanza 40 shaft.  

Also ordered five, seven and nine woods all with the Distanza 40.

I've never tried the Distanza but it sounds like the closest Ping stock option to the Pro Launch Blue which is gonna be tuff to beat out anyways.

If the Distanza doesn't cut it in the fairways I'll likely go either with the Pro Launch or maybe try the GWX shaft that others have been experimenting with.

For what it's worth I played several of rounds and hit quite a few range balls switching back and forth between the 9.0 and 10.5 Max heads with the Pro Launch, my Tensei Pro Orange in stiff, the Alta CB 55 stiff and the Alta CB 55 regular and the Pro Launch was the clear winner in all categories and especially feel.

One thing I kinda found odd was that regardless of shaft I hit the 10.5 adjusted to 9.0 considerably higher on average than the 9.0 set to 9.0.

12 minutes ago, Vernon said:

One thing I kinda found odd was that regardless of shaft I hit the 10.5 adjusted to 9.0 considerably higher on average than the 9.0 set to 9.0.

Yeah does seem curious but two possible things I'm gonna guess at...

(1) lie angles may be different which may affect your launch & ball flight;

(2) 10.5 head turned down may not actually be equal to 9.0° (do you have or have access to a loft-lie machine?)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

33 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah does seem curious but two possible things I'm gonna guess at...

(1) lie angles may be different which may affect your launch & ball flight;

(2) 10.5 head turned down may not actually be equal to 9.0° (do you have or have access to a loft-lie machine?)

Kinda what I surmised but I'm no tech expert.

I'd been playing a G425 Max 10.5 turned down to 9.0 and hit it higher than my previous G410 Plus that was a 9.0 both with the same shaft.

Always kinda suspected that lofting up or down with adjustable heads would have to present variables that would be tuff to account for but what do I know?

But no I don't have access to a loft/lie machine.

All in all it's not a big deal just thought it was interesting and something I'd always wondered about but don't recall ever seeing it addressed or discussed anywhere although I'm sure at some point someone has explained it.

41 minutes ago, Vernon said:

Also good to consider that a natural 9° and a "de-lofted" head to 9° doesn't end up 🍎 for 🍏. We're usually imparting some kind of face and lie change to result in a lower manipulated loft at impact. How that plays out with each person's individual manipulation of the face through the shot, is another question. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So here's my optimal setup with my PLB playing at 45" and D2 and in my PXG 0311 head. 

Total weight of 310.8g and head weight of 199g

I think I remember a post from way back maybe from @Bobbers that the Callaway adapter is heavier than many of the other manufacturers.  I imagine by taking a bit off of the shaft length will get my overall weight down some. I would then need to make some adjustments of course to get back to the optimal swing weight.  Work to be done!

GHIN 7.8

3 sub 70 19.5

5 Srixon ZX5

6-AW Srixon ZX7

56 Titelist SM8 

60 Titelist SM7

13 minutes ago, carter18 said:

I think I remember a post from way back maybe from @Bobbers that the Callaway adapter is heavier than many of the other manufacturers.  I imagine by taking a bit off of the shaft length will get my overall weight down some. I would then need to make some adjustments of course to get back to the optimal swing weight.  Work to be done!

And welcome to the world of golf tinkering 🤣

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 4/14/2023 at 11:23 AM, Vernon said:

Placed an order this morning for a Ping G430 Max nine degree driver with the Alta Distanza 40 shaft.  

Also ordered five, seven and nine woods all with the Distanza 40.

I've never tried the Distanza but it sounds like the closest Ping stock option to the Pro Launch Blue which is gonna be tuff to beat out anyways.

If the Distanza doesn't cut it in the fairways I'll likely go either with the Pro Launch or maybe try the GWX shaft that others have been experimenting with.

For what it's worth I played several of rounds and hit quite a few range balls switching back and forth between the 9.0 and 10.5 Max heads with the Pro Launch, my Tensei Pro Orange in stiff, the Alta CB 55 stiff and the Alta CB 55 regular and the Pro Launch was the clear winner in all categories and especially feel.

Had the 430 Max H/L version less than 2 months. The 45 3/4 was too much so went 1 inch shorter and added my standard MCC+4 grip which changed swing weight by 4, purchased a 18G weight offline to replace the stock 10G H/L swing weight to compensate. . It much straighter and actually gets up in the air easier so it carries a little more but run out leaves total a little shorter than the longer shaft. less than 5 yards shorter and in the fairway a lot more often seemed like a good swap to me.

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

Had the 430 Max H/L version less than 2 months. The 45 3/4 was too much so went 1 inch shorter and added my standard MCC+4 grip which changed swing weight by 4, purchased a 18G weight offline to replace the stock 10G H/L swing weight to compensate. . It much straighter and actually gets up in the air easier so it carries a little more but run out leaves total a little shorter than the longer shaft. less than 5 yards shorter and in the fairway a lot more often seemed like a good swap to me.

You shortened the Distanza?

Ordered mine at "standard" length although I've not had much luck with anything over 45".

Figured I could always cut 3/4" off but then wondered if there was a counterbalance plug involved that might be a problem?

1 hour ago, Vernon said:

You shortened the Distanza?

Ordered mine at "standard" length although I've not had much luck with anything over 45".

Figured I could always cut 3/4" off but then wondered if there was a counterbalance plug involved that might be a problem?

The stock shaft in my H/L 430 max is a Fuji Alta quick 45 gram shaft . Stck length listed and confirmed at 45 3/4 and shortened 1 inch.

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

There have been some questions about the difference a grip can make with swing weight. Being that the swing weight seems to have a bigger impact on how the club plays and feels with this OP setup, I thought this might be helpful. 

This is the SW with a mid-size Golf Pride CP2 Pro (64g) with 1 full and 1 lower hand wrap. 

D0

Screenshot_20230415_124525_Chrome.jpg.0776f483a40621b486047e56f474f2cc.jpg

Here is the swing weight with a Pure standard size (49g) built up to mid-size AND reduced taper wrapping. Essentially the same size in the hand as the CP2 Pro.

D2

Screenshot_20230416_080951_Chrome.jpg.11e4e2a48ed6bffa83b9c7dfc03ef3e7.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG