Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Most forgiving most under-rated irons...?

therod

3 hours ago, Andrew75 said:

These were forged, where exactly? 

Theyre not forged. Cast from 17-4 steel. They feel very nice similar to a forged club though. 

The last 2 sets I played were Ping G's and a mixed adams set with forged cb3 5-7 and forged Pro A12 8-pw and these feel much closer to the adams on contact than the Pings even though the pings are also cast from 17-4.

The Maltby Max wedges are forged however.

Edited by KOG

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

1 hour ago, therod said:

I have played a few Maltby heads. I've built clubs for around 30 years. Golfworks and Golfsmith were my go-tos for everything. But being a lefty has always limited my selection. My last few sets have been bigger OEMs that I reshaft and bend to fit me. My XTDs were bought for $20 per head and I used a less expensive shaft. I have less than $50 in each club. But age, arthritis, and a desire for something brand new are pushing me towards something different. Sub70 is a very intriguing option, especially when they offer several lefty options. Some black 699s would probably look sweet in Rod's golf bag...

I did really like the xtds. They were long. Recently I needed a tapered 6 iron shaft and Hurricane golf is selling the 6 iron XTD Tour Ernie Ells was playing for 17 shipped. Still are. So I just bought that and pulled the KBS tour shaft and iomic grip but not before hitting it a few times. I saw the deals on the lefty XTD heads, its where I got my previous Adams a12 pro heads, so I know what you mean as a value. Im sure youve seen the Idea Velocity Slots 2014 going for very cheap from I think the same seller. The mixed set that is hybrid irons 6-7 and cavity 8-g? My father does not want to let those go. Heres a set of leftys

image.png.f245e59ba1192412cf2b0eef46c8010a.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314052968036?hash=item491f03fe64:g:G~AAAOSweopiun1Z&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoN%2FpZkm8fYvu77u%2FY%2BHRrPvzHaoljBVzq6cHAYQHVcqWQpmCF0tXOSxkbwaKvUMHnNa0cW1rOF4UiOXrtBpGAhYwtkPUtcw%2Fj1hFBXcOBwhLOYZBD66QY01%2BAAUXd06MX8g0uhphFoy9X3i1W7bLLVaEV3pKfpsw95zjiVgUgGdpwFF0DkiGhgoFjUdevIvC4Zy0X%2B0vgQR8XZJKwvvpvAc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9iB6YzBYQ

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

I will jump in and echo the Wilson sentiments.  I was staunchly in the camp of Wilson is a cheap bigbox brand for a long long time.  I was very fortunate to test the D7 irons for this very forum and I was very wrong with my long held bias against Wilson.  They make great clubs; the D7 have been in my bag since the test.  The forgiveness has led me to continually shoot lower scores.   Countless times my ugly thin/toe miss manages to get in the air and find the same zipcode as the original shot needed.  When I am in regular practice, these irons become as close to point and shoot as my ability allows.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 1/8/2023 at 3:12 PM, therod said:

I am thinking about getting another set of irons this spring. I would like the most forgiving irons I can find, and do it for the least amount of $. My miss is a hook, and I have a lower ball flight. I currently have an old set of Cleveland TA-7s (still a great club) and a set of Adams XTDs. I've looked at some Wilsons since they aren't as expensive. I also peaked at some Tour Edge. I'd probably stay away from the hybrid type of club just by preference. They also don't need to be new, I'm good with used. What say you?

If you are looking for used irons.  I would check out the www.ralphmaltby.com website and look up the MPF rating on the clubs you are looking to buy.  If you are a scratch golfer to around a 10 handicap, you can lean of the lower MPF ratings.  If you are an average to high handicapper, look for higher MPF ratings.  The MPF rating essentially tells you how forgiving the clubs are for the average golfer.  I would also seek out a qualified club fitter in your area and make sure the length, grip, and flex are in line with your abilities.  If you do this you can start working on your game and stop worrying about the clubs in your bag.

20 hours ago, stevegawron said:

If you are looking for used irons.  I would check out the www.ralphmaltby.com website and look up the MPF rating on the clubs you are looking to buy.  If you are a scratch golfer to around a 10 handicap, you can lean of the lower MPF ratings.  If you are an average to high handicapper, look for higher MPF ratings.  The MPF rating essentially tells you how forgiving the clubs are for the average golfer.  I would also seek out a qualified club fitter in your area and make sure the length, grip, and flex are in line with your abilities.  If you do this you can start working on your game and stop worrying about the clubs in your bag.

One thing I noticed with MPF is that it seemed to peak during during models done in the late 90s to early 2000s with some exceptions. There are some aspects such as turf interaction and offset it doesnt fully address, just the design forgiveness. Meaning the original Big Berthas are easier to hit than the current big berthas.  It seems most companies aimed to improve appearance or try to hide the bulky tech that made the early 2000s irons the highest MPF rated in general, Maltby and Callaway irons of that era. Or just turned a 6 iron into a 7 iron and pitching wedge into gap wedge.

As far as currentish irons, the MPF leaders are

Titelist t300

Callaway B21

Cobra radspeed; Air-x; King LTD 

TM Sim2 max though I think the stealth hds will score well

The Launchers/halos

Of course Maltby has the highest MPF ratings currently with the ke4 max or m890s

many companies dont submit their designs to obtain a rating.

But what it does suggest is that if youre in the market for say Ping, youre better off with a set of Raptures or K15, G25,G30, G or Gmax than any current models if youre looking for max forgiveness and dont mind chunkyish irons.

Also it seems like this MPF list at golfworks is more updated than ralphmaltbys site with the newer heads

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

In looking for forgiveness in irons, be sure and pay attention to shaft flex and quality of the shaft.  One of the reason I like my Mizuno 900 hot metal is the project X graphite shafts.   If you have a facility in your area, be sure and go hit different irons.  Even if they are this year's model, they still will not be much different from last year's model.  You can then look on used iron websites for a set. My favorites are Callaway Pre-owned, Global Golf,2nd Swing Golf, Mike's Golf Outlet, and lastly Ebay (only from verified and highly rated sellers.) Many of the my prior mentioned resales also sell on Ebay.  

2 Callaway EPIC drivers one is GBB

FW Cleveland Laucher 3W

Hybrids 3 & 4 Callaway GBB

Irons 5-SW Mizuno hotmetal 900s 

Putter Callaway Triple Trac and triple trac escape ball.

All shafts senior

On 1/12/2023 at 9:09 PM, hriehl1 said:

You say you want most forgiving but do not want hybrid style irons. Those are mutually exclusive statements.

Get over ego issues and look at Wilson Launchers, Sub70 799s and Cleveland Halos. Watch TXG videos on the Clevelands and Sub70s.

Bridgestone JGR forged hybrid irons are the longest iron I've ever it, and I've hit them all. Even mishits are the longest. They generally came with Zelos 8 stiff, which is preferable to most any graphite. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

43 minutes ago, therod said:

Curious...because I'm an engineer and a numbers guy...can anyone tell me where to find the MOI numbers for Wilson's D9 irons? I can't find it and when I emailed Wilson the person on the other end couldn't help.

So typical in the golf business. Because most consumers are uninformed or don't care and buy instead because they're favorite golfer gets paid a bunch to use the brand, it's hard to make informed purchase decisions. Companies feel they don't need to provide that info or wish to hide it. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:20 PM, KOG said:

One thing I noticed with MPF is that it seemed to peak during during models done in the late 90s to early 2000s with some exceptions. There are some aspects such as turf interaction and offset it doesnt fully address, just the design forgiveness. Meaning the original Big Berthas are easier to hit than the current big berthas.  It seems most companies aimed to improve appearance or try to hide the bulky tech that made the early 2000s irons the highest MPF rated in general, Maltby and Callaway irons of that era. Or just turned a 6 iron into a 7 iron and pitching wedge into gap wedge.

As far as currentish irons, the MPF leaders are

Titelist t300

Callaway B21

Cobra radspeed; Air-x; King LTD 

TM Sim2 max though I think the stealth hds will score well

The Launchers/halos

Of course Maltby has the highest MPF ratings currently with the ke4 max or m890s

many companies dont submit their designs to obtain a rating.

But what it does suggest is that if youre in the market for say Ping, youre better off with a set of Raptures or K15, G25,G30, G or Gmax than any current models if youre looking for max forgiveness and dont mind chunkyish irons.

Also it seems like this MPF list at golfworks is more updated than ralphmaltbys site with the newer heads

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

I haven't quite been able to figure out Ping. Their new stuff is built with a philosophy that seems 100% counter to the concepts promoted by Ralph Maltby. I've asked Matlby designer Britt Lindsey on the Maltby Forum about the continuously creeping up COGs and if there have been any changes or alternative philosophies in golf club design and he wasn't aware of any in the industry. I personally despise the i500 but the i200 wasn't bad even though it also has poor measurements when considering the Maltby design principles. 

Regarding the other manufacturers, Callaway and Titleist have generally always followed the Maltby philosophy over the years. Cobra and Taylormade also typically measure well in their forgiveness-oriented designs. I've been happy to see most OEMs gravitate back towards the Maltby philosophy over the last year or so. My personal guess regarding the higher COGs with Ping and other manufacturers in recent years is that a higher COG can lead to more solid feeling shots when they are struck properly and/or when you sell golfers clubs off of a rubber mat. It's easier to hit a high COG club off of a mat that lets you basically chunk it without penalty. Ralph Maltby says that as long as the club's COG (or direction of COG) is below that of the ball at impact, the shot will feel solid. This is true but I'm willing to bet money that if you hit the ball directly on the club's COG instead of above it, it will feel even more solid. This is the philosophy I'm guessing Ping uses. Obviously, their clubs don't suck so there is probably something to whatever reasoning they are using as mine may be completely wrong. 

Regarding the MPF, it can't be relied upon when choosing clubs. I like the MPF and I love the measurements but I'm one of the few who has actually read the hundreds of pages of literature Ralph Maltby has published. The biggest thing with the MPF is that it only represents maybe 25% of what you need to know about clubs to make a good selection. The MPF is a great tool but I would highly recommend only looking up the MPF numbers after hitting some irons you're interested in for the first time. It's one of those numbers that has a tendency to cause unnecessary bias against certain clubs that could potentially be better for you. 

If you're already familiar with club MPF ratings before you get fitted, I would recommend looking up the MPFs that are available for clubs you've played before and see what the numbers are for the clubs you liked the most. You might prefer a higher COG or a more rearward COG. You may have also preferred a larger C-dimension (horizontal COG location). I will say that I've found that of the clubs I've liked the most, there weren't any clear and common characteristics between them other than they've all had a relatively low COG. This is one of the primary reasons I caution against leaning on the actual MPF calculated number. There is nothing wrong with it but it's just a number. 

When it comes to forgiveness, I would say an equally important factor to a forgiving club is sole design. IMO sole design is equally impactful to forgiveness as clubhead measurements. I think this is where Ping nails it. Most Ping irons have wide soles with interesting shapes and unique radiused designs. I partially think the sole design allows Ping to be able to move up the COG. The soles allow golfers to more easily take steeper swings at the ball that effectively put the COG under that of the ball. Their sole designs also allow pickers and sweepers to not worry about snagging the sole behind the ball and hitting fat shots. 

If you were to ask me what the most forgiving irons are of all time, I would point to the Callaway X16 - X22 irons. I played the X20s for years and only got rid of them because I needed less offset on the shorter irons. They happen to also measure well with the MPF. These are always the irons I recommend to new golfers trying to start on a budget if they don't want to buy Maltby irons. I also recommend about any Ping G-series iron between the G5 and G30. They are hard to beat for overall forgiveness. 

I myself will be getting new clubs this year. I currently play the Maltby MMB-17s but really want to try the new TS1 IMs and the TS3. I tried a TS2 iron and simply didn't like it for me. My plan is to buy the heads from Maltby I want to try and have my local fitting shop install their adapters and then go through a proper fitting with all the various shafts. They are an independent shop so I'm assuming they'll indulge me since I'm willing to pay their fitting fee.

As a recent Sub70 convert I have to add my 2 cents.  I was surprised at the workability of the 699's.  I had to hit a low draw under a tree with my 5 iron and it worked perfectly and that was the first time I tried it, I have only had my clubs for a month now.  I really like the Mizuno JPX 923's and was all set to buy them but ultimately I just couldn't justify that much money.  I demoed the Sub70's and loved them. They felt great and then I found a great deal on a gently used set.  Their customer service is fantastic and now you have the option of the original 699's at $80 each or a little more for the brand new ones. Since then I have added a 4 wood, a 4 utility iron and I am looking at wedges now.  The prices are great and they have plenty of options for customization.  I purchased the silver 699 irons, but for the utility club I purchased it in black and it looks amazing and I really like the way it feels.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

On 2/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, Andrew75 said:

Bridgestone JGR forged hybrid irons are the longest iron I've ever it, and I've hit them all. Even mishits are the longest. They generally came with Zelos 8 stiff, which is preferable to most any graphite. 

Yeah those a very nice clubs. Much more common in japan but Ive been keepin my eyes on those as well. Very wide sole and forged which is rare. The wide sole irons and the ones like launchers are very similar, often just the cap on the back being the difference. Maltby had a Hybrid club 20 or so years back which was basicly the matby glider with a cover on the back. Spalding made a set n the 80s.

23 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I haven't quite been able to figure out Ping. Their new stuff is built with a philosophy that seems 100% counter to the concepts promoted by Ralph Maltby. I've asked Matlby designer Britt Lindsey on the Maltby Forum about the continuously creeping up COGs and if there have been any changes or alternative philosophies in golf club design and he wasn't aware of any in the industry. I personally despise the i500 but the i200 wasn't bad even though it also has poor measurements when considering the Maltby design principles. 

Regarding the other manufacturers, Callaway and Titleist have generally always followed the Maltby philosophy over the years. Cobra and Taylormade also typically measure well in their forgiveness-oriented designs. I've been happy to see most OEMs gravitate back towards the Maltby philosophy over the last year or so. My personal guess regarding the higher COGs with Ping and other manufacturers in recent years is that a higher COG can lead to more solid feeling shots when they are struck properly and/or when you sell golfers clubs off of a rubber mat. It's easier to hit a high COG club off of a mat that lets you basically chunk it without penalty. Ralph Maltby says that as long as the club's COG (or direction of COG) is below that of the ball at impact, the shot will feel solid. This is true but I'm willing to bet money that if you hit the ball directly on the club's COG instead of above it, it will feel even more solid. This is the philosophy I'm guessing Ping uses. Obviously, their clubs don't suck so there is probably something to whatever reasoning they are using as mine may be completely wrong. 

Regarding the MPF, it can't be relied upon when choosing clubs. I like the MPF and I love the measurements but I'm one of the few who has actually read the hundreds of pages of literature Ralph Maltby has published. The biggest thing with the MPF is that it only represents maybe 25% of what you need to know about clubs to make a good selection. The MPF is a great tool but I would highly recommend only looking up the MPF numbers after hitting some irons you're interested in for the first time. It's one of those numbers that has a tendency to cause unnecessary bias against certain clubs that could potentially be better for you. 

If you're already familiar with club MPF ratings before you get fitted, I would recommend looking up the MPFs that are available for clubs you've played before and see what the numbers are for the clubs you liked the most. You might prefer a higher COG or a more rearward COG. You may have also preferred a larger C-dimension (horizontal COG location). I will say that I've found that of the clubs I've liked the most, there weren't any clear and common characteristics between them other than they've all had a relatively low COG. This is one of the primary reasons I caution against leaning on the actual MPF calculated number. There is nothing wrong with it but it's just a number. 

When it comes to forgiveness, I would say an equally important factor to a forgiving club is sole design. IMO sole design is equally impactful to forgiveness as clubhead measurements. I think this is where Ping nails it. Most Ping irons have wide soles with interesting shapes and unique radiused designs. I partially think the sole design allows Ping to be able to move up the COG. The soles allow golfers to more easily take steeper swings at the ball that effectively put the COG under that of the ball. Their sole designs also allow pickers and sweepers to not worry about snagging the sole behind the ball and hitting fat shots. 

If you were to ask me what the most forgiving irons are of all time, I would point to the Callaway X16 - X22 irons. I played the X20s for years and only got rid of them because I needed less offset on the shorter irons. They happen to also measure well with the MPF. These are always the irons I recommend to new golfers trying to start on a budget if they don't want to buy Maltby irons. I also recommend about any Ping G-series iron between the G5 and G30. They are hard to beat for overall forgiveness. 

I myself will be getting new clubs this year. I currently play the Maltby MMB-17s but really want to try the new TS1 IMs and the TS3. I tried a TS2 iron and simply didn't like it for me. My plan is to buy the heads from Maltby I want to try and have my local fitting shop install their adapters and then go through a proper fitting with all the various shafts. They are an independent shop so I'm assuming they'll indulge me since I'm willing to pay their fitting fee.

I agree with you 100%. And the callaway x line (I played x20s as well) or the steelhead pro are some of the most forgiving clubs I ever played. I even played the Great Big Bertha Tungston Ti shovels from 1999. 

It certainly isnt everything, but I think Pings movement to a less forgiving according to MPF is kind of a compromise between looks and performance. Smaller club heads, minimalist design.  

Youre 100% on point and I too have read Maltbys book in entirety and to me, the low score of the say srixon irons really clarified its limitation. The beveled sole make these clubs so easy in turf interaction but that aspect isnt included in MPF. Its a big reason why these clubs are so loved and the rounded soles of the KE-4 max function similarly, but Srixon really nailed the sole design of their irons. Its one of those non specific things like how you like how a club frames the ball and gives you confidence.

Im also considering the new TS3 or ts4s from 8-p as a mixed set with the ke-4 max. I just am a degree flat but 3 heads is a risk I can take since I build it and can resell at little or any loss if doesnt fit. 

But the most glaring issue I had with MPF is Toski target t-56 irons. These are some of the highest MPF (949 mpf) irons ever in the database but I really hated playing them. They didnt have a good feeling when hit and I just didnt hit them very well. These guys

IMG_3596(1).jpg.f6b67ba53c0d421e107dc8f69ed7356f.jpg

These were Maltby designed and even had the mpf 851+ on the hosel. For some reason MPF did not apply to me in this situation and my Adams pro a12s, a low MPF club was so much easier FOR ME to hit consistently. I got them for $50 and they had dynamic gold s300 3-pw so I just resold the heads and still play the shafts in my current gamers but 100% agree. Nothing can beat hitting an iron in person, multiple times and comparing it to your currents and others with an open mind. Even though Dicks aquired Maltby they decided not to carry in their stores which I get as a component brand, but thats where the trial and error can be expensive, especially if you dont build it yourself or get fitted. For me, I seem to like a little higher vert cog than most super game improvement but the very low cog and back COG causes too much loft for me, so I counter it with low launch shafts. Thats been my sweet spot but your swing also comes into play significantly. None the less, its good info

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

3 hours ago, scubahoops said:

As a recent Sub70 convert I have to add my 2 cents.  I was surprised at the workability of the 699's.  I had to hit a low draw under a tree with my 5 iron and it worked perfectly and that was the first time I tried it, I have only had my clubs for a month now.  I really like the Mizuno JPX 923's and was all set to buy them but ultimately I just couldn't justify that much money.  I demoed the Sub70's and loved them. They felt great and then I found a great deal on a gently used set.  Their customer service is fantastic and now you have the option of the original 699's at $80 each or a little more for the brand new ones. Since then I have added a 4 wood, a 4 utility iron and I am looking at wedges now.  The prices are great and they have plenty of options for customization.  I purchased the silver 699 irons, but for the utility club I purchased it in black and it looks amazing and I really like the way it feels.

First time I actually looked up the 699s. Very nice looking clubs. 

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

On 2/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, KOG said:

Yeah those a very nice clubs. Much more common in japan but Ive been keepin my eyes on those as well. Very wide sole and forged which is rare. The wide sole irons and the ones like launchers are very similar, often just the cap on the back being the difference. Maltby had a Hybrid club 20 or so years back which was basicly the matby glider with a cover on the back. Spalding made a set n the 80s.

I agree with you 100%. And the callaway x line (I played x20s as well) or the steelhead pro are some of the most forgiving clubs I ever played. I even played the Great Big Bertha Tungston Ti shovels from 1999. 

It certainly isnt everything, but I think Pings movement to a less forgiving according to MPF is kind of a compromise between looks and performance. Smaller club heads, minimalist design.  

Youre 100% on point and I too have read Maltbys book in entirety and to me, the low score of the say srixon irons really clarified its limitation. The beveled sole make these clubs so easy in turf interaction but that aspect isnt included in MPF. Its a big reason why these clubs are so loved and the rounded soles of the KE-4 max function similarly, but Srixon really nailed the sole design of their irons. Its one of those non specific things like how you like how a club frames the ball and gives you confidence.

Im also considering the new TS3 or ts4s from 8-p as a mixed set with the ke-4 max. I just am a degree flat but 3 heads is a risk I can take since I build it and can resell at little or any loss if doesnt fit. 

But the most glaring issue I had with MPF is Toski target t-56 irons. These are some of the highest MPF (949 mpf) irons ever in the database but I really hated playing them. They didnt have a good feeling when hit and I just didnt hit them very well. These guys

IMG_3596(1).jpg.f6b67ba53c0d421e107dc8f69ed7356f.jpg

These were Maltby designed and even had the mpf 851+ on the hosel. For some reason MPF did not apply to me in this situation and my Adams pro a12s, a low MPF club was so much easier FOR ME to hit consistently. I got them for $50 and they had dynamic gold s300 3-pw so I just resold the heads and still play the shafts in my current gamers but 100% agree. Nothing can beat hitting an iron in person, multiple times and comparing it to your currents and others with an open mind. Even though Dicks aquired Maltby they decided not to carry in their stores which I get as a component brand, but thats where the trial and error can be expensive, especially if you dont build it yourself or get fitted. For me, I seem to like a little higher vert cog than most super game improvement but the very low cog and back COG causes too much loft for me, so I counter it with low launch shafts. Thats been my sweet spot but your swing also comes into play significantly. None the less, its good info

Maltby's designer Britt has noted that they specifically don't like the v-soles that are used on the Srixons because it lifts the club head and raises the VCOG. I agree academically with the thought process but I think real world results say otherwise. If we only hit balls off concrete, it might matter more. Regarding club design, I don't know who has the right answer. The reality is that there probably isn't a "right" answer as everyone is different. 

Fun history lesson on Golfworks that I found reading through some random posts on the Maltby Forum. Golfworks was originally purchased by Golf Galaxy before Dick's bought out Golf Galaxy. Golf Galaxy actually started selling Maltby clubs in stores and had Maltby trained fitters in almost every store. It was basically the Club Champion type fitting for Maltby clubs before that level of fitting became popular. Sadly, when Dick's bought Golf Galaxy, they scrapped the whole idea of fitting and selling Maltby products because it wasn't in their business plan. You can still order Maltby clubs through Golf Galaxy but they don't maintain any heads for testing in store. You can also still buy some Golfworks building/gripping supplies in-store at both GG and Dick's.

What Ping has done has made MOI their primary goal.  As with anything in design, there is give and take in making that decision.  To go super high in MOI, you either need to elongate the clubhead and make it shallower (look at some of the older Maltby designs) or just accept a higher VCOG to maintain a more normal shape.  As someone whose miss is thin, I do not like any of the newer Ping irons.

That is why Titleist, unless they change their design parameters, will never produce irons with MOIs as high as Pings.  They consistently have maintained lower COGs.

So from what I could find, it looks like the D7 MOI is higher than the D9 MOI. However, the D9 CG is slightly lower than the D7 CG. Hitting a lower trajectory ball, it makes me lean to the D9 even if the MOI isn't as strong as the D7. It might end up depending on what I get the best deal on since I'm not necessarily looking at new-in-the-box models. And the difference in MOI for the 2 heads might be negligible anyway as far as I'm concerned.

But I must confess, the Sub70 699s also keep my attention. Decisions, decisions...

So does Maltby make their more forgiving irons in lefty or are they always out of stock?

I really want to try some SGI clubs but I don’t live near a convenient location.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

Ping i230. I’m telling you, legit forgiveness! The counter weighting WORKS!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2023 at 9:10 AM, Bobbers said:

The Ping 700 or 710 have been suggested, good choices.

The Callaway Mavrik Max irons are also quite forgiving and, being a few years old, are more affordable.

The PXG 2021 0211's are also very forgiving.

Good luck with your quest.

I'm gaming the mavrik irons right now and agree they are incredibly forgiving. Some times, they are a bit hot off the face though if you hit it flush... but that's probably the case for most clubs. You can get the mavrik irons for a good deal on callaway pre-owned site... I've gotten several clubs from that site and I'm always amazed at the quality of the pre-owned clubs I receive, hard to believe that they were used before!

Nathan Wagner, Callaway Mavrik dr-aw, callaway jaws 58, and spider tour putter. 

On 1/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, therod said:

I am thinking about getting another set of irons this spring. I would like the most forgiving irons I can find, and do it for the least amount of $. My miss is a hook, and I have a lower ball flight. I currently have an old set of Cleveland TA-7s (still a great club) and a set of Adams XTDs. I've looked at some Wilsons since they aren't as expensive. I also peaked at some Tour Edge. I'd probably stay away from the hybrid type of club just by preference. They also don't need to be new, I'm good with used. What say you?

I didn't read all the posts so maybe this has been posted already.

Try https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/iron-sets/  and https://shop.touredge.com/collections/certified-pre-owned-irons  for deals on pre owned clubs.

Don't discount Tour Edge based on their hybrid type of irons, they also have some "normal" iron sets.  I've purchased from their pre owned site a few times and it's a good deal.  Spend over $150 and it's free shipping, 15% discount for being a veteran, 30 days to play and still get a full refund if you don't like it (they pay shipping back).

Last year I went with Callaway Apex 19 irons from Callaway CPO.  I had to go to a graphite shaft due to tendonitis.  First I tried Tour Edge E722 and they just didn't work (super forgiving never seem to work for me, I think it's the wide sole). 

Next were the Apex 19 and they are very forgiving.  I thought they would be above my skill level but they are more forgiving than the Steelhead XR irons they replaced.  It must have something to do with the cup face and tungsten weighting.

Good luck in your search.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

• 1 month later...

Still shopping. I haven't had much time recently. But there is a chance I might get out next week for a demo or 2. What I've looked at recently is the Mavrik and the Cleveland Launcher XLs. I had a set of TA-5s, and still have a set of TA-7s in the garage. I've always been a Cleveland fan. So if I hit one and like it a bit, that's probably an easy sell. We'll see. The search continues...

I'm going to bite the bullet. I haven't hit a hybrid in years, but I would really like to try the Launcher XLs, so I'm going to hit a few balls at the PGA SS and see. We'll see what happens. I haven't hit a hybrid in years, so maybe things will feel different enough to make the plunge. We'll see...

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, therod said:

I ended up going with a set of Launcher XLs with some Recoil 95s. 2 rounds in and so far, so good!

Have any photos to share with us?!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)