Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

15 minutes ago, ole gray said:

28 putts today and a first time ever round of 73 which is my age too! I LOVE my Mezz Max Broom and it has made a huge difference in my putting.  The best golfing decision ever was to purchase it.  It cost a lot but the confidence I have gained and the pure roll it puts on the ball is game changing.  😍🥰

That's awesome! Congrats on the round!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

33 minutes ago, ole gray said:

28 putts today and a first time ever round of 73 which is my age too! I LOVE my Mezz Max Broom and it has made a huge difference in my putting.  The best golfing decision ever was to purchase it.  It cost a lot but the confidence I have gained and the pure roll it puts on the ball is game changing.  😍🥰

Congrats! Shooting your age - that's AMAZING! I've done it on many, many front/back 9's.  Many. 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Congrats! Shooting your age - that's AMAZING! I've done it on many, many front/back 9's.  Many.

It took me 73 years so hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've got a DF 2.1 on the way.  It has the stock steel shaft.  I've got an Accra putter shaft just looking for a place to land.  How would those of you who tinker suggest as the best way to remove the old shaft?  Yes, I've got micro torches, a heat gun, etc.  Just looking at the best way to get the old one out without any damage/discoloration to the head itself.  Thanks in advance.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

congrats, great round and shooting your age... really good

committed to performance excellence

congrats, great round and shooting your age... really good

Thanks Jim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland

46 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I've got a DF 2.1 on the way.  It has the stock steel shaft.  I've got an Accra putter shaft just looking for a place to land.  How would those of you who tinker suggest as the best way to remove the old shaft?  Yes, I've got micro torches, a heat gun, etc.  Just looking at the best way to get the old one out without any damage/discoloration to the head itself.  Thanks in advance.

I don’t think that’s advisable. I saw a video that said the weights are dependent on the shaft selected. So by changing the shaft, you basically change the balance of the putter. 

The weights in my DF2.1 with the Accra APPEAR to be different than the stock version. Of course that could be because of different lie angles or simply because they weight or the blank putter heads were different. 

Edited by RoverRick

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

35 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

I don’t think that’s advisable. I saw a video that said the weights are dependent on the shaft selected. So by changing the shaft, you basically change the balance of the putter. 

The weights in my DF2.1 with the Accra APPEAR to be different than the stock version. Of course that could be because of different lie angles or simply because they weight or the blank putter heads were different. 

I may pull the original shaft so I can get a weight measurement.  The Accra, untrimmed, is 132 grams.  Given the typical weight of steel putter shafts I'd expect it to be closer than close to the weight of the graphite.  I guess we'll find out.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, Bobbers said:

I would also advise against this.  LAB is pretty specific that there's limited tinkering you can do without throwing off the balance -- changing a grip +/-25 grams and lengthening shortening +/- 1/2" and that's pretty much it.  Re-shafting is on the nono list.   No two shafts are uniformly the same so each putter is uniquely balanced using their proprietary methods.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

43 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I would also advise against this.  LAB is pretty specific that there's limited tinkering you can do without throwing off the balance -- changing a grip +/-25 grams and lengthening shortening +/- 1/2" and that's pretty much it.  Re-shafting is on the nono list.   No two shafts are uniformly the same so each putter is uniquely balanced using their proprietary methods.  

I appreciate you and RoverRick chiming in.  I'll keep my hands off.  Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Since I started my LAB journey I have two people who I personally know who have jumped on the train. One of the guys in our group first bought a Mezz Max standard length then he found a good deal on a Link so he has two LAB putters.  Also my step son who lives in Louisiana just ordered a Mezz Max broom.  Plus there is another player in our group who I suspect will be on the train in the near future.   Results bring attention and attention brings that desire to bag one of these awesome putters! 

Cleveland

So Sunday I tried a little experiment with a ChipR. (I sold it to a high handicapper on the back 9, so that kinda tells you how it went.) 

On the sixth green, I was telling one of my playing partners I was checking to see if it was a weapon or a crutch. By the seventh, I determined it could be a weapon if I practiced with it, but I could practice half as much with my other clubs and have much more versatility. My biggest issue was since I had a new hammer, every shot around the green looked like a nail. 

But I said, “Just like when I showed up with the big a$$ red LAB putter everyone thought it was a crutch…” and he interrupted me and said, “No, we saw you on the practice green with it, and nobody thought it was a crutch.” 

I’m still averaging 27 putts per round with the LAB. 

Just a friendly reminder that your LAB putter works better when you trust your stroke and let it do its thing.  🤦‍♂️ 

I've had some struggles with my DF2.1 the last few rounds so I actually went out this morning and practiced -- exclusively on stroke.  I spent about an hour tidying things up and did a simulated 18 putting round.  The goal was to be under 36 strokes -- it went poorly at 39 putts(I made it hard on myself with a lot of 40+ foot lags) and I was frustrated.   Took a break and realized that I was way overthinking everything and there was far too much going on in my head with every putt.  Kept the routine, threw out the mechanical thoughts, and immediately started holing putts... which immediately brought this movie clip to mind.    😄

de014b0c-be2b-4e0c-9292-3a19d98f01c7_tex

That led to what was basically the best chipping practice I've ever had.  Creative, in command, trusting myself, and generally not having any extraneous thoughts.  Gotta love this game.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

9 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Just a friendly reminder that your LAB putter works better when you trust your stroke and let it do its thing.  🤦‍♂️ 

I've had some struggles with my DF2.1 the last few rounds so I actually went out this morning and practiced -- exclusively on stroke.  I spent about an hour tidying things up and did a simulated 18 putting round.  The goal was to be under 36 strokes -- it went poorly at 39 putts(I made it hard on myself with a lot of 40+ foot lags) and I was frustrated.   Took a break and realized that I was way overthinking everything and there was far too much going on in my head with every putt.  Kept the routine, threw out the mechanical thoughts, and immediately started holing putts... which immediately brought this movie clip to mind.    😄

That led to what was basically the best chipping practice I've ever had.  Creative, in command, trusting myself, and generally not having any extraneous thoughts.  Gotta love this game.

After a few rough rounds, I went back to some basics as well (shoulders rock, light grip, line it up and hit) and have had sub-30 putting rounds last two times out (28. 29), including a 25' par putt dead-center.  If I can remind myself to KISS, it really helps a lot 🙂 

Of course, now I'm thinking how much better it would be with the 3.0 (zero better, but it's NEW AND SHINY). 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Of course, now I'm thinking how much better it would be with the 3.0 (zero better, but it's NEW AND SHINY). 

You would be especially with the TPT shaft.   Order soon so it is here for your trip in May.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You would be especially with the TPT shaft.   Order soon so it is here for your trip in May.  

Sans the TPT shaft, its still very good.  I did not have an easy time leaving PGA superstore without a stock steel one -- especially with multiple employees watching me putt and egging me on.  😆

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

5 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Sans the TPT shaft, its still very good.  I did not have an easy time leaving PGA superstore without a stock steel one -- especially with multiple employees watching me putt and egging me on.  😆

He needs the TPT shaft.     

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

He needs the TPT shaft.     

It's only....

the-devil-snl.gif

All joking aside... I've heard enough about the TPT that if I could I probably would.

Edited by Syks7

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

I finally decided to go back to the Pistol Tour grip on my Link and played a quick 9 earlier... I don't know why I ever switched to anything else. I putt so much better with the skinny grip than I do with the bigger ones, which is odd because I've always hated the skinnier grips on my other putters. I am typically a Flatso 2.0 or something similar.

Anywho, getting really excited for a full season with the Link.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

7 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Pretty sure that gif is the story of my golf career 🤣

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHRIS! 🤣 (yes, that was in all caps because I'm yelling at you.)

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHRIS! 🤣 (yes, that was in all caps because I'm yelling at you.)

you already ditched the Cameron,  isn’t this the next logical step?  

spongebob-squarepants-patrick-starr.gif

Well, the Link is finally going to be put up for sale today so I can fund the purchase of my DF3. I love the Link but there's just something I miss about the bigger putter that I was so excited to get away from when I got the Link. The DF3 is the perfect size, smaller than my DF2.1 without losing any of the benefit.

Right now I'm leaning towards a blue head with a white Accra shaft. The stock steel felt pretty good when testing the DF3 but I love the Accra I have now.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

3 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

I love the Accra I have now.

Also a dilemma for me.  There's a possibility that I'm sending the DF2.1 in to rebalance and shaft swap eventually.   It's one reason the Link keeps poking its head into my thoughts.  I'm probably going to game it (the Link) this week since I feel like I've gotten way too technical with the DF2.1 and need to step away from it for a moment.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Since I've gone back to the well for the week with the Link I decided to put the factory grip back on.   Ive been practicing with it since Friday and a thought has crept into my head that maybe you shouldn't tinker with the LAB putters at all, not even grips. That maybe you should just stick with the factory balance and call it good.   It's also got me curious if my issues with the DF are related to a LAB pistol grip I installed last month.  Time to put the press 3 back on and see. 

Also, don't listen to the people on the Facebook group.   The Accra is money.  I'd forgotten about the feedback you get from it.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Sunday morning, I had the opportunity to test the LINK1 with the TPT Shaft. OMG!

It has been 10 months since I have hit the LINK1, and it was the stock version. I thought it was very “Meh” at the time. I think I liked the concept more than the feel. 

This was different. I haven’t wrapped my head around paying $1000 for a putter, but now I know what a $1000 putter feels like. I may soon sell all my other putters (not my LAB putter) on eBay and get one. 

Jon Sinclair had the huge PutterView putting green in his shop, (the place where the TPT shaft for LAB was developed.) 

IMG_1738.jpeg.63d4ed66ff4d019ad3b451cfad88add0.jpeg

I drained the first 3 dead center. Jon said, “This is too easy for you let me crank this to Jon Rahm mode.” Which turned it into down hill with a 4.7° slope. I put it dead center into the hole at the top of the picture and looked at him. He had an astonished look on his face. But then I told him I was aiming at the middle hole. I didn’t make one of those putts. 

If I were to do a review on it, it would take me considerable amount of time to come up with more than “Wow!” While he was telling me all the details about the development I was thinking “No way this is worth $300 more than my Accra.” Now I don’t know. 

Edited by RoverRick

2 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

If I were to do a review on it, it would take me considerable amount of time to come up with more than “Wow!” While he was telling me all the details about the development I was thinking “No way this is worth $300 more than my Accra.” Now I don’t know. 

i-am-never-going-to-financially-recover-

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

So, had 25 putts on Monday, including 12 1-putts. It was...honestly ridiculous.  I also lipped out a 42-footer (that honestly made my playing partners groan because it was good the WHOLE way) and missed two others by about 4" total.  Really, really good day for the 2.1 🙂

Which of course has me wondering about the 3.0, lol.  Stupid brain. (cue Homer: Shut up or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip!)  The greens were also rolling really fast - once again I find that I often have better putting days on fast greens - something about them just lets me focus on reading the putt way more than on a slow green.

Sigh. Someday money will just keep sprouting from my trees in the backyard and this will be a laughable post 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 minute ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

So, had 25 putts on Monday, including 12 1-putts. It was...honestly ridiculous.  I also lipped out a 42-footer (that honestly made my playing partners groan because it was good the WHOLE way) and missed two others by about 4" total.  Really, really good day for the 2.1 🙂

Which of course has me wondering about the 3.0, lol.  Stupid brain. (cue Homer: Shut up or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip!)  The greens were also rolling really fast - once again I find that I often have better putting days on fast greens - something about them just lets me focus on reading the putt way more than on a slow green.

Sigh. Someday money will just keep sprouting from my trees in the backyard and this will be a laughable post 🙂

How was the rest of the game?  Maybe the 2.1 is perfect and you need other clubs.  😇