Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Music people listen to when hitting balls/putting? #sik

• 1 month later...

I saw this post and had to reply whatever music your into is cool for me it’s either country or rap in general but if I’m trying to be super serious there are some sounds you can listen to at a certain decibel that actually help you better and get you to focus and honestly it works Ik it might sound cringey as all get out but you should look into it 

I went to play at my club on Tuesday of this week. It was my first round since the previous Wednesday. I noticed there were a lot of green lines painted along and throughout the teeing area on the driving range. The next day I ran into the GM in the pro shop and asked "what are all the green lines for on the range"? He has a strange look on his face and said the owner was putting in a speaker system for music, shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

My comment was WTF? We have so many needs at our club other than speakers on the range, I just can't believe this. (The speakers are buried in the ground)

Does anyone else have speakers on their range? What are your thoughts?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 8/15/2023 at 8:23 PM, Owengeorge13 said:

I’m big into the strokes, pavement, blur, oasis.

Strong choices.  I could grind out 4 footers to "Zurich Is Stained" all day.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 9/29/2023 at 8:26 PM, GaDawg said:

I went to play at my club on Tuesday of this week. It was my first round since the previous Wednesday. I noticed there were a lot of green lines painted along and throughout the teeing area on the driving range. The next day I ran into the GM in the pro shop and asked "what are all the green lines for on the range"? He has a strange look on his face and said the owner was putting in a speaker system for music, shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

My comment was WTF? We have so many needs at our club other than speakers on the range, I just can't believe this. (The speakers are buried in the ground)

Its pretty cool, thats what I think. However, he who controls the music controls the range lol

I didn't respond because I figured everyone listened to this during putting practice. For the record, I listen to no music while I practice or play... at least none that I provide.  I prefer no music on the course but can tolerate others doing so if it's barely audible from their carts.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Interesting topic, thanks for posting it. 😁

If I’m hitting balls at the range, I will use AirPods to listen to Sturgill Simpson’s Sound and Fury

If I’m rolling putts at home on the mat, I listen to 2 different classical playlists, melancholy strings or melancholy piano on Apple Music. When I’m putting I like quiet background music I don’t have to focus on. It helps clear the static of outside thoughts and allows me to focus on the mechanics of the stroke.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

When people are playing golf and want to set a relaxing or motivating mood, they often listen to music that can help them focus and enjoy their game. The choice of music can be highly personal, but here are some genres and examples of music that many golfers may listen to while hitting balls or putting:

Instrumental Music: Instrumental music can be calming and non-distracting, making it a popular choice for golfers. Genres like classical, jazz, or ambient instrumental music can set a pleasant atmosphere.

Classic Rock: Many golfers enjoy the timeless tunes of classic rock bands like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, or The Eagles. These songs can provide an energetic backdrop for a round of golf.

Country Music: Country music, with its storytelling and laid-back vibe, is a favorite among some golfers. Artists like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, or Kenny Chesney can be great choices.

Upbeat Pop: Some golfers prefer more contemporary pop music with an upbeat tempo. Songs from artists like Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, or Maroon 5 can provide an energetic rhythm for the game.

A couple of things.  If it's on the driving range or putting greens, there may be an advantage of listening to music (with ear buds).  If you can hit balls and putt with an external distraction, it can better prepare you to deal with pressure or other distraction on the course.   By learning to block it out, you won't be distracted when your opponent chooses to adjust their glove Velcro or cough at an inappropriate time.  

As far as piped in music at a range, I think that may be a little over the top.  If the owner puts it in, does he/she choose what's played?  I think the lowest common denominator of music that a group of diverse aged people would accept may not be pretty!  Then again, they could make it a contest with an entry fee.  The winner picks the music for a month and the money goes to local junior golf organization.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Full swing = “Chain of Fools” by Aretha Franklin. Gets me in tempo, and my mind off elbows, knees, and hitting at the ball. 

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

I don’t listening to music on the course unless I’m alone late in the evening.  However, I will offer this opposing view.  Tom Brady routinely stood before 80,000 screaming fans with 300 pound linemen trying to crush his soul only to throw a football 60 yards in the air to a guy catching it in step running 22 miles per hour.  I think a golfer can endure a little background music 😂

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Just hit balls and practiced my short game/putting yesterday listening to a mix on Spotify (if you don’t have Spotify, please consider).  I find playing so much more enjoyable listening to music when I play.  The golf club I belong to has no rules against it. Although some older members have complained.  I think I may start listening all the time on the course.  Last week I tried to listen to the patriots game during my Sunday afternoon round.  #protip!  Play on sundays around 1 during late fall!  No one is on the course

🙃

On 9/29/2023 at 8:26 PM, GaDawg said:

Terrible idea.  I love music and have spent way too much on vinyl, CDs and streaming over the years.  But, there is a lot of music that gets on my last nerve and what I like might be like fingernails on a chalkboard to someone else.  For example, I hate most hip hop beats.  If that was playing at the range I would find another course to join.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Either country like Kenney Chesney or violin music like Lindsey Stirling, something of a mellowing frequency or moderately upbeat but pleasant. Have to be careful with frequencies,  however when it is war I like to amplify things a little bit and it will either boost my performance or it will destroy me.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 

Srixon ZX 2 Hybrid 

Srixon ZX 7 Wood

Srixon ZX5 Irons

Cleveland CBX Zipcore Wedges

Cleveland Milled Soft Putter 

Oasis radio on spotify is a great playlist. Also love Kasabian or any 90's indie playlist while hitting balls in the garage.

Bag - Big Max Dri Lite Feather Stand Bag

Driver - Cobra King Radspeed XD Driver

Woods - Cobra LTDx 3W

Hybrid - Cobra LTDx 4H, Callaway Maverick 3H

Irons - Cobra King Rad speed, Mizuno Pro 225

Wedges - Cobra King Snakebite 50 and Callaway CB 60 degree

Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird Stroke Lab

Ball - Callaway Supersoft 23

15 hours ago, podgemci said:

Oasis radio on spotify is a great playlist. Also love Kasabian or any 90's indie playlist while hitting balls in the garage.

I’m a huge oasis fan, I’ve seen them four times, I’ve seen Liam once and Noel once since the break up.  I never really got into kasabian.  I think I saw them open for oasis once.  I’m playing 18 on my own today at my home course at 1:30.  I’m making a Radiohead playlist as we speak on Spotify.  

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

7 hours ago, OldSchoolFlusher said:

More of a podcast listener - than music. Currently working my way through the Chasing Scratch cast - which is highly recommended.

Will definitely give that a listen. Love a good podcast when driving by myself (kids and wife want music) or out running. Would highly recommend the David McWilliams podcast, very informative podcast.

Bag - Big Max Dri Lite Feather Stand Bag

Driver - Cobra King Radspeed XD Driver

Woods - Cobra LTDx 3W

Hybrid - Cobra LTDx 4H, Callaway Maverick 3H

Irons - Cobra King Rad speed, Mizuno Pro 225

Wedges - Cobra King Snakebite 50 and Callaway CB 60 degree

Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird Stroke Lab

Ball - Callaway Supersoft 23

• 3 weeks later...

I have a small JBL speaker attached to my bag,  It’s great for walking, I generally play only loud enough for myself to hear.  I just bought a Bushnell wingman, (the outdated version) it was on sale.  I’m hoping to use it for cart golf.  I’m hoping to get one more round in this weekend, I’m going to try and test out the wingman!    Anyone have any experience with the wingman.  I probably won’t use the golf gps aspect of it.  I really liked the large magnet portion it has.

🙃

A guy with whom I often play has a speaker and wide-ranging musical taste...pretty much anything with at least a little guitar in it. Recently, it has been heavy on earlier Radiohead albums and other alternative rock from the 90s through the present. Good stuff.  

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5->9.5, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R

Wood:  Callaway Mavrik 3, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H, Graphite Design Tour AD R

Irons:    Miura CB301, 5-gw, Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R

Wedge: Vokey SM8 54 and 58, 12 bounce, D grind, Shimada tour black

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

8 minutes ago, EMJL said:

A guy with whom I often play has a speaker and wide-ranging musical taste...pretty much anything with at least a little guitar in it. Recently, it has been heavy on earlier Radiohead albums and other alternative rock from the 90s through the present. Good stuff.  

Radioheads first album Pablo Honey does not get enough love.

🙃

4 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Radioheads first album Pablo Honey does not get enough love.

100% agree. 

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5->9.5, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R

Wood:  Callaway Mavrik 3, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H, Graphite Design Tour AD R

Irons:    Miura CB301, 5-gw, Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R

Wedge: Vokey SM8 54 and 58, 12 bounce, D grind, Shimada tour black

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II