Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

I wish I had

revkev

I was fit for and purchased a set of Srixon ZX 5 2's this past summer.  The shafts are 65 grams which would be a similar weight to what I have in my Wilson D7 forged.  I'm sure that this is why the fitter went for that weight.  However, the swing weight is C9 verses D3 in the D7 forged.  

I love the turf interaction, look at address and feel, at impact, of the Srixon's.  However, I think that the swing weight is too light for me.  I have trouble flighting the ball down or even feeling where the clubhead is with my short irons, especially.  I'm going to go to a different fitter to address the issue (after my cataract surgery.)

It's a classic example of how one fitting session is not always enough - I think the guy was trying to save me some money - I would have needed to pay a significant upcharge to move in the steel fibers that would have gotten me the additional swing weight that I need.  That's my guess - while you never want to tell someone who is trying to sell you something that money is not an object I would not have objected to the additional cost to get this one right.  

So in this case I wish I had opened my mouth because now it's going to cost me more latter.  

The other big one is that I wish I had not traded in my Ping G 400 for the 410 - I really lost out on that one.  😞

What's something golf related that you wish you had or hadn't done?

Edited by revkev

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not fitting related, but... I wish I had --

.. started playing the game much earlier in life! Always thought it was silly and a waste of time...

.. didn't pick it up until my mid 50s when a windsurf / surf buddy took me to the range and helped me get started.

And the rest is history... 😂

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

43 minutes ago, revkev said:

However, the swing weight is C9 verses D3 in the D7 forged.  

What's something golf related that you wish you had or hadn't done?

Have you tried lead tape yet as a cheap quick experiment?

As for regrets, I've had a few.  But then again too few to mention. (sorry, couldn't resist)  Actually the only thing I can really think of is I wish I had started working out regularly earlier in life, and I wish I had started speed training years ago.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I wish I had…

started lessons sooner  it’s so much harder to ingrain feelings when you have a kiddo. Just want more time.

an actual driver fitting. 5 years ago I went to a guy and he told me I needed a low spin head (now I know it was due to swing faults). He told me to get an EF SZ from eBay. I got the head. He let me try some shafts and put me in a demo fujikura shaft. I always wondered why and it’s why I now tinker more. Somewhere down the line this will happen. Hopefully drivers aren’t $1,000 by then. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

8 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Have you tried lead tape yet as a cheap quick experiment?

As for regrets, I've had a few.  But then again too few to mention. (sorry, couldn't resist)  Actually the only thing I can really think of is I wish I had started working out regularly earlier in life, and I wish I had started speed training years ago.

That will be my next step or first step although I'm going to throw the D7 forged's back in the bag for the time being prior to trying that experiment. 

Golf for the remainder of the year is likely to be problematic for me.  I have my surgical consult on the cataract thing on Monday - I'm hoping to get those procedures done in November (before the action heats up in December).  My eyesight is really deteriorating at this point seemingly by the day.  

I appreciated the song quote - and this thread is about any sort of golf regret for certain not just equipment related - could be I wish I had joined that club before they started a buy in (a friend of mine left a club a few years ago and just got back in because he bought a home on the course - there was no buy in when he left - it's 10K now.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I wish I hadn’t of bought the set of clubs I was fit for. This may be controversial but I was fit for a set of clubs when I didn’t really keep a handicap. Being 6’4 I found myself having ALOT of trouble with normal sized irons, a lot of tops or chunks when trying to fix the chunks. So I was fit for irons and was given a high handicap set of irons, which at the time made a lot of sense and I loved them. Now a year and a half since I started using them they are starting to bug me. I’m finding gaps in my irons that are hard to ignore and the forgiving wedges are the vain of my existence. Having a pretty decent short game they are just not doing it for me. I wish I had gone with a mid handicap knowing how I obsess about something and have learned to strike the ball much better. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse.