Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Ball Spin Rollout Question

golfer3134

So I've been going over some of the 2023 ball test data and found something interesting that I don't quite know how to come up with an answer. Some balls in the 35 yd wedge test had high spin, high descent angle, and yet when comparing the total yardage vs carry, still had a longer rollout than balls with less spin/lower descent angle. And conversely some balls had low spin, low descent angle, but less rollout. Any idea why that may be? This wasn't the case in every ball by any means, but here are some of the more extreme examples:

High spin/descent, long rollout:
Taylormade TP5 - 2nd in spin, 10th in descent angle, 30th in rollout
Bridgestone Tour BXS - 5th in spin, 8th in descent angle, 40th in rollout
Wilson Staff Model - 6th in spin, 13th in descent angle, 27th in rollout

Low spin/descent, short rollout:
Snell MTB Prime X - 41st in spin, 34th in descent angle, 1st in rollout
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - 40th in spin, 37th in descent angle, 8th in rollout
Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash - 35th in spin, 27th in descent angle, 6th in rollout

13 minutes ago, golfer3134 said:

So I've been going over some of the 2023 ball test data and found something interesting that I don't quite know how to come up with an answer. Some balls in the 35 yd wedge test had high spin, high descent angle, and yet when comparing the total yardage vs carry, still had a longer rollout than balls with less spin/lower descent angle. And conversely some balls had low spin, low descent angle, but less rollout. Any idea why that may be? This wasn't the case in every ball by any means, but here are some of the more extreme examples:

High spin/descent, long rollout:
Taylormade TP5 - 2nd in spin, 10th in descent angle, 30th in rollout
Bridgestone Tour BXS - 5th in spin, 8th in descent angle, 40th in rollout
Wilson Staff Model - 6th in spin, 13th in descent angle, 27th in rollout

Low spin/descent, short rollout:
Snell MTB Prime X - 41st in spin, 34th in descent angle, 1st in rollout
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - 40th in spin, 37th in descent angle, 8th in rollout
Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash - 35th in spin, 27th in descent angle, 6th in rollout

I think you need to look at all the data points to and not just a select few.  For example launch angle and ball speed are big factors in a balls performance.   The snell launched low and was one of the slowest in ball speeds which probably offset the slightly lower spin to get the least rollout.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

That data set set is pretty meaningless and incomplete without ballspeed and launch angle. Or the quality of the strike - particulrly on short wedge shots.

Confused, the dataset has those values and the robot was setup to hit the same spot for all the shots,  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Apologies - I didn't look at the data set - I was just going on the comments of the OP.

But now i have seen the data set - is it flawed because of the filters that you can apply? In addition, roll out is a very inexact science as friction (with the ground, the ball and gravity) comes into play with cover material and dimple pattern having some effect on this in terms of initial ball speed (off the face) and residual ball speed when the ball started to roll out and what sort of 'bounce' the ball had on first landing (nobody ever measures this metric). The speed the ball was rolling at (forwards once spin/bounce had depleted), relative friction between the two surfaces (the ball and the ground) will determine the roll out distance to some extent.

That's my guess anyway. But I tend to hit balls for myself to see what they feel like and how they react rather than relying on data which (as we've seen in this scenario) can be interpreted with a pinch of salt.

17 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Apologies - I didn't look at the data set - I was just going on the comments of the OP.

But now i have seen the data set - is it flawed because of the filters that you can apply? In addition, roll out is a very inexact science as friction (with the ground, the ball and gravity) comes into play with cover material and dimple pattern having some effect on this in terms of initial ball speed (off the face) and residual ball speed when the ball started to roll out and what sort of 'bounce' the ball had on first landing (nobody ever measures this metric). The speed the ball was rolling at (forwards once spin/bounce had depleted), relative friction between the two surfaces (the ball and the ground) will determine the roll out distance to some extent.

That's my guess anyway. But I tend to hit balls for myself to see what they feel like and how they react rather than relying on data which (as we've seen in this scenario) can be interpreted with a pinch of salt.

The ball testing was done over a couple days and with extreme tolerances. They take a lot of pride in the consistency and results. Of course any data can be subject to scrutiny, but in terms of how close these metrics can be counted on this is as close as we are likely going to see or be able to trust. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Besides - I think the test methodology pretty much admits this is the least accurate of all the tests:

35-Yard Wedge

The wedge portion of the test was designed to replicate a greenside shot of 35 yards. Rather than calibrate to specific launch and spin targets, we configured the robot to hit the calibration ball approximately 35 yards (total).

Test ParametersTest Averages (All Balls)

Club Used: PXG Sugar Daddy II 56°Total Distance: 37.3

Swing Speed: 37 mphBall Speed: 39.6

Calibration Launch Angle Target: n/aLaunch Angle: 37.3

Calibration Spin Target: n/aSpin: 5,489

Edited by jaskanski

26 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

The test give a great baseline and accurate numbers of the brands using a machine that repeats the same pure shot at the same speeds.

You can look at the most recent member test of the Titleist Test ball and see that the same ball has reacted differently to the testers.  Some found that the roll out was much more than others.  I found the ball to take a one hop, stop on most shorter iron shots.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Exactly. Better to test the ball for yourself to see how it reacts. For me, it's all about feel and spin at 35 yards. I'm not discrediting the test or methodology which is very helpful in target golf ball selection, but when it comes to picking your gamer, only self discernment will truly get you to a final choice.

Edited by jaskanski

8 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Exactly. Better to test the ball for yourself to see how it reacts. For me, it's all about feel and spin at 35 yards. I'm not discrediting the test or methodology which is very helpful in target golf ball selection, but when it comes to picking your gamer, only self discernment will truly get you to a final choice.

It's a great baseline and very helpful in targeting a certain type of ball.

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

It's a great baseline and very helpful in targeting a certain type of ball.

100% - there's no reason 'on paper' why I ended up using the ball I do from the test results which ranked it as decidely average, but it's what I like and what works best for me. Bridgestone Tour B RXS won out against the AVX. Go figure.

The data in the testing is great.  It's really dissecting it and figuring out how to compare it to your game and ball striking.  

Assuming all these shots were hit in one session. Maybe a couple landed in an imperfection on the green? Like a slight pitch mark could drastically reduce rollout. Just guessing though who knows 

Driver- Sim2 max

5 wood- Sim max

20’ hybrid- epic flash

irons- 5/gw Pxg 0211 r flex steel

wedges -52,56 Cbx 2 black

putter- Bettinardi queen bee6

5 hours ago, jaskanski said:

The point of the testing was to provide the data for you do what you want with. Not to say this is the best ball. I believe Tony even said this on the podcast. So if you wanted to use the data to say that X ball goes furthest so I want that one then great. Or you might say I love my ball but would like to have a little more spin. Then you can look at balls that are as close to your current ball in all other categories but spins more. Or maybe looking at the data you find a ball that performs the same as the ball you love in all categories except has a little more initial ball speed and therefore carries a little further. Why not go buy a sleeve and see if you like how it performs for you. With that said blindly taking the data and just saying this is my new ball and buy 5 dozen without seeing if you like the sound, feel and performance for you would be shortsighted. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

2 hours ago, Slight shank said:

Assuming all these shots were hit in one session. Maybe a couple landed in an imperfection on the green? Like a slight pitch mark could drastically reduce rollout. Just guessing though who knows 

Pretty sure they were hit in one session.  They were hit onto an open range where PGX and Cool Clubs do testing and not a green.  

6 hours ago, jaskanski said:

100%.  The MGS ball test is simply a starting point just like a static club fitting or a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer fitting.    I would always suggest that you find your current ball and what metric you want to change (spin, height, ball speed, etc) and then find balls that trend in that direction.  Once you do that go actually hit the ball to make sure it does what you think it will do.   As you posted in another post, they published the setup for the test; which may not resemble any of your club delivery metrics which would alter all the data points.