LAB Putters? Yea or Nay

I'm a fan of the LAB DF 2.1 putter.  My strokes gained by putting went from 0.35 to 0.98 with the addition of the DF2.1.   I liked it so much, I bought a second one as a backup and for putting at home (my first stays in my bag at the course).

Right now, the only putter that would take its place is the LAB DF3.0!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I love my LAB and thinking about adding an armlock in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I did the online fitting submittal, still waiting on the feedback.  I went ahead and placed an order for a DF3.  I think it have played with one every time I see one in the golf store.  Each time I think this is the putter for me.  I hope I'm not making a mistake, this is a lot of money to invest in a putter.

Edited by dbdors

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Xcaliber RT175 S  

Irons: :Takomo: IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34"

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

image.png

I was speaking with the putting guy at my local PGASS over the weekend about these putters. He said he bought the DF3 and wouldn't go with any other putter.
This is the fitting device I was talking about earlier - very hard to get.
Also asked him about the revealer and he said that they can't get it and the other companies they sell probably wouldn't be happy if they did get one. 😆

image.png.9e95e316ada78078d6960b0943a8ecc3.png

Anyhow - he mentioned that the rumor is they will come out with a counterbalanced version soon. 
Apparently they all go to an industry meeting (not the PGA show) and they had a CB one to demo there and he really liked it.

Also mentioned a guy who bought one, brought it to the counter and had them put a superstroke grip on immediately and returned it a week later. 🤦‍♂️

One thing I didn't realize is that the grip is also fit. There is a tilt in number of degrees depending on how much forward press you use. I have to say, these are very meticulously built and customized EXACTLY for you.

Edited by StrokerAce

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

9 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

One thing I didn't realize is that the grip is also fit. There is a tilt in number of degrees depending on how much forward press you use. I have to say, these are very meticulously built and customized EXACTLY for you.

And I'm wondering how they make this judgment in the online fitting based on the short down the line video you send them.  Or is it up to me to decide which grip to choose.

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S

Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit

image.png

4 minutes ago, dbdors said:

And I'm wondering how they make this judgment in the online fitting based on the short down the line video you send them.  Or is it up to me to decide which grip to choose.

that's a good question. I would certainly ask about it. not sure how much difference it makes but it must make some.

like you said, that's a lot of $ to spend on a putter and you want it to be right.

Edited by StrokerAce

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

38 minutes ago, dbdors said:

Some of the grips are designed for specific putters based on the built in shaft lean.  In a face on video, they can see how much forward lean you add.  Virtual fitting is just measuring angles.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Some of the grips are designed for specific putters based on the built in shaft lean.  In a face on video, they can see how much forward lean you add.  Virtual fitting is just measuring angles.  

I get that, but the fitting does not ask for a face on shot, down the line only.

image.png

14 minutes ago, dbdors said:

I get that, but the fitting does not ask for a face on shot, down the line only.

Then you pick which grip you want that goes with the putter you pick.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What was the typical turn around time for you to get your custom L.A.B. Putter? I know they recommend 5-6 weeks but was wondering what others experiences were? 

Just to add onto this, I tried the new DF3 at the local Golf Galaxy, and it felt great. They had the "T" for alignment and that really worked for me as well. 

If anybody is a Nay you really have to find a way to test them out.

Driver: Epic Speed TD LS - Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Epic Flash SZ

Hybrid: Rogue Hybrid

Irons: Adams Idea Pro A12, DG X100

Wedges: PW - 48 Vokey SM7, 52-60 Kirkland Signature

Putter: Either a Newport 2.0, Spider Tour, Oddysey 7, or an Tony Penna IM style blade

Ball: Rotation of new releases, whatever my toddler forces me to buy, and Kirklands.

56 minutes ago, downeyjr said:

I am a Nay after testing them.   

1 hour ago, downeyjr said:

I'm a nay at the current price point. 

I tested them and didn't find them *significantly* better than other putters that were much less expensive.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

LLAB putters just aren’t my thing…don’t particularly like the look of them.  I have never tried one or tested one, so maybe I’m missing out, just don’t see myself getting one.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I don't game the DF, I play a MEZZ.1 and love it. I started my L.A.B. journey by testing a BLĀD.1 and liked it but wanted more so went with the MEZZ and I don't even look at other putters anymore.

The caveat is that as it's Lie Angle Balanced, it takes some practice before you stop manipulating the clubhead like you do with normal putters. But once you get it, Voilà!

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

I was going to say nay on these putters due to the head size, But, hear me out. If you compare driver heads from today, to driver heads from day the 90’s, current driver heads are huge but have so much technology and added help, it makes sense. Perhaps I need to get size out of my head and bite the bullet and get fitted for one? 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

48 minutes ago, arodrig29 said:

I was going to say nay on these putters due to the head size, But, hear me out. If you compare driver heads from today, to driver heads from day the 90’s, current driver heads are huge but have so much technology and added help, it makes sense. Perhaps I need to get size out of my head and bite the bullet and get fitted for one? 

The link.1 and MEZZ are not really any bigger than other blades and mallets.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The link.1 and MEZZ are not really any bigger than other blades and mallets.  

Yes, I see that now. Well, goes to show you I know very little about the brand. 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

On 3/22/2024 at 7:51 AM, StrokerAce said:

for L.A.B. owners - how critical is the fitting? 

can you purchase used and achieve the same amount of success if you're a relatively standard size human being (5'10") ?

Absolutely critical and believe me, I've done it twice!  I dropped a member-review a couple of years ago on the Mezz Max - fairly comprehensive I think.  Just got knee surgery in February and bought a Mezz Max broomstick to help me with my recovery.  Absolute nirvana!  Lady I spoke with told me they're coming out with a DF3 broomstick in a couple of months, I think that may be the one I've been waiting for cuz you can literally pick up those gimmes while still getting 90% of the DF2 advantages.

I'm going to be selling the first putter, though it breaks my heart.  The broomstick is just easier to use, more consistent set up and stroke, and I like the way my eye sets up over the ball, too.  Hope you find the right putter for your game, just remember if you're gaming a LAB you have to let the putter do the work.

Interesting thing to me is that if you hit the ball toe or heel side it typically goes the same distance as a center strike, but will go a little right or left.  If you are within 5 feet your chances of bagging that birdie are still very good.  If you miss the center from 10' of beyond the ball will more likely miss.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

Absolutely critical and believe me, I've done it twice!  I dropped a member-review a couple of years ago on the Mezz Max - fairly comprehensive I think.  Just got knee surgery in February and bought a Mezz Max broomstick to help me with my recovery.  Absolute nirvana!  Lady I spoke with told me they're coming out with a DF3 broomstick in a couple of months, I think that may be the one I've been waiting for cuz you can literally pick up those gimmes while still getting 90% of the DF2 advantages.
I'm going to be selling the first putter, though it breaks my heart.  The broomstick is just easier to use, more consistent set up and stroke, and I like the way my eye sets up over the ball, too.  Hope you find the right putter for your game, just remember if you're gaming a LAB you have to let the putter do the work.
Interesting thing to me is that if you hit the ball toe or heel side it typically goes the same distance as a center strike, but will go a little right or left.  If you are within 5 feet your chances of bagging that birdie are still very good.  If you miss the center from 10' of beyond the ball will more likely miss.

Love my broom and yes the DF3 is definitely on the radar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

they're out there, in the wild, and less than 500!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I was in that test group only with the Mezz - it was very good for me on the green.  Sadly I was very inconsistent with it from off the green.  Given my age and the types of grasses that I play on (in Florida) being good with putter from off the green is essential so I had to finally give up on mine.  If I lived up North it would still be in the bag.  

Good luck with yours when it arrives.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 3/26/2024 at 9:49 AM, cnosil said:

I am a Nay after testing them.   

Add me to the Nay list too: none have been custom fit to me, but I have never liked the look feel or roll of any of the models I’ve tried. I thought the link would be the one for me, but no.  I’m always drawn to try them whenever I see one, but the weight always feels odd to me, and I don’t make any putts with them either. (anecdotal I know)

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 3/26/2024 at 12:08 PM, TJ Hall said:

LLAB putters just aren’t my thing…don’t particularly like the look of them.  I have never tried one or tested one, so maybe I’m missing out, just don’t see myself getting one.

👍👍👍

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I am old school with my Ping Anser , I’m in our pro shop all the time tinkering with all kinds of new putters and we have about everything that’s made . I  have tried mallets , broomsticks , big blades , Scotty’s , Odyssey and and everything else.Then when I’m sick of that I go to the PGA store in Lawrenceville and try putters there too , and sometimes hours on end . I still come back to what works for me and that’s what matters the most for all of us . 

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

On 3/22/2024 at 12:06 AM, MeyerBirdie said:

Just ordered a directed force 2.1 LAB putter. Can’t wait to get it in my bag. My current putter always misses right unless I compensate with closing the face. Anyone gaming this ugly stick?

Just got my DF3 yesterday by FedEx.  Went right over to my club and practiced with it.  Excited to play with it today.  Interesting video on ball position with the putter that seemed to work.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mfm8yjUqCY - YouTube

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, HAC said:

Just got my DF3 yesterday by FedEx.  Went right over to my club and practiced with it.  Excited to play with it today.  Interesting video on ball position with the putter that seemed to work.  Ball Position With A L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 Putter (youtube.com)

Pics or it didn’t happen 😂

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 3/22/2024 at 4:58 AM, RoverRick said:

@MeyerBirdie  I’ve been gaming the DF2.1 since last May. I’m a huge LAB proponent. Average 27 putts per round, and I’ve been nicknamed “One-Putt Rick”. I disagree with “you need a toe hang putter.” 

There is a huge thread on here from member testing from last year that covers this, but I suggest some training drills when you get your DF2.1.

Find a straight putt on the practice green. Use something tees, Make dots with a Sharpie, chalk line, dimes, something that is visible, I use a sharpie and tape measure and put 8 dots 1’ apart to the hole. I place a ball on the 8th dot and then setup to where the ball and all the dots look like the are in a line. 

This putter will look and feel very different, but learn to aim it properly from the first time. Walk around, come back and set up again. Personally, I don’t think about the stroke. I know my aim is correct and focus on the speed. If you hit it where you aim at the right speed, you will know why you miss. 

I wouldn’t work on any putting stroke issues until I first learned to aim. Otherwise, you could be chasing after non-existent stroke issues and its aim. 

I wanted to ask this question. I am waiting for my DF3. After reading all the reviews, online hype, I had to jump in and try this thing. The one thing I keep reading is you have to learn how to use it, which didn't make sense to me. I have a straight forward and back swing. Very minimal arc. 

Other than the above dot drill, is there anything else to have to re-learn with LAB?

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

30 minutes ago, Just_the_Chip said:

I wanted to ask this question. I am waiting for my DF3. After reading all the reviews, online hype, I had to jump in and try this thing. The one thing I keep reading is you have to learn how to use it, which didn't make sense to me. I have a straight forward and back swing. Very minimal arc. 

Other than the above dot drill, is there anything else to have to re-learn with LAB?

IMO, it will depend on how you putt now.   You may have to adjust ball position, you may have to change how you move your hands, wrists, and/or forearms.  You may have to change setup.  You may have to change visual cues. If you are actually moving the head SBST you may have to putt with an arc.  You may have to change nothing.